• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Finally caught up, I see shovel knight has reason again, which is alright by me. And those wii manuals are the best thing ever.

So if Shovel Knight has a higher chance, when do you think he'll be revealed?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wayforward aren't exactly uknown. They've been around for decades. They even worked on the Ducktales remake.
First of all, see above, second, can't compare against Rare. Thirdly, did the SK guys even DO Ducktales? Your arguments to why Yooka Laylee would be 'better' is solely based because it's classic Rare, something you've shown bias towards before

Ivander

Smash Legend
Even though we're all not as salty about Shovel Knight, it just still blows my mind that they're going to put him in the game. I'm not saying this as a bad thing.

Smash has had alot of surprise characters throughout its lifespan, but this is just confusing onto why they would chose a young IP that may or may not end up popular in the next five years. If you thought Ryu broke me, just wait until Shovel Knights's revealed. Pompeii will be erupting from my head.
I don't see Shovel Knight happening unless he's Post-Ballot DLC. The reason being that IIRC Sakurai said that after the Ballot, it would be all for the fans or something like that. Which makes me believe that no matter how new, old or relevant that character is, if that character is in the Top of the charts as decided by fans, that character will appear since the fans want that character. Or at least, I want to think that will be the case, but Sakurai works in non-predictable ways.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
So if amazon is selling digital codes now, anyone think that somewhere down the line they will mess up and accidentally reveal another DLC character?

Tama

Smash Apprentice
I don't see Shovel Knight happening unless he's Post-Ballot DLC. The reason being that IIRC Sakurai said that after the Ballot, it would be all for the fans or something like that. Which makes me believe that no matter how new, old or relevant that character is, if that character is in the Top of the charts as decided by fans, that character will appear since the fans want that character. Or at least, I want to think that will be the case, but Sakurai works in non-predictable ways.

There's absolutely no way it would be this straight forward. This is a business they're running at the end of the day.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Welp I think Brianna Wu did the most ******** thing ever.

As written on the Mary Sue.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
So if amazon is selling digital codes now, anyone think that somewhere down the line they will mess up and accidentally reveal another DLC character?
Probably but after ESRB and Roy/Ryu Data mining, I don't see it happening. Nintendo is probably gonna do it post release than pre-release to stop situations like Amazon leaks.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

At this point she's just looking for reactions.

EDIT: I mean, I'm all for trans people in videogames but some contextual evidence is required.

EDIT 2:
It's been forever since I've seen this movie but man does this shot look bad.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

"Deal with it."

Yup, automatically disregarded. Anyone childish enough to use that sentence in such a context deserves none of my time.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Wayforward aren't exactly uknown. They've been around for decades. They even worked on the Ducktales remake.
You're still comparing apples and oranges here, though.

Yooka-Laylee asked for far more money than Shovel Knight.
Yooka-Laylee is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, made by largely the same core team.
Shovel Knight was not a spiritual successor to any one game in particular.
Shovel Knight was asking for far less money.
Yooka-Laylee was being hyped left and right, and teased to Banjo fans in magazines and websites before the Kickstarter even launched.
Shovel Knight happened first, and was important in getting people to even take Kickstarter games seriously to begin with.

You can't fairly compare the success of their Kickstarters to make...whatever point you're trying to make by bringing this up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!? NO. IT'S CLEARLY POINTED OUT THAT SAMUS IS A WOMAN. THIS IS MEANT TO BE SERIOUS, NOT 'durrhurr, Samus was originally a man in development of the first Metroid' BUT GODDAMN. I have nothing against the transgender. Only against this she-devil

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Oh God I saw this exact claim on Tumblr before I left, there was a lot of craziness and it was debunked.

Like if you have a headcanon that a character is gay or trans, that's fine, but just consider the following:
  • That it doesn't openly contradict canon
  • don't base it on stereotypes (the Tumblr people saying this exact thing were basing it solely off the fact that Samus was 6'3") and no, the fact that a male character enjoys the camaraderie of his male friend doesn't automatically make him gay.
  • And most importantly: DON'T HARASS OTHERS FOR DISAGREEING WITH YOUR HEADCANON. (An actual thing that happened to me)
And honestly it's Brianna Wu saying this, she's a literal lost cause at this point (using "mansplaining" unironically? Really?)

...I apologize if I crossed the line somehow, just wanted to rant. :lol: I'm accepting of LGBTQ+ people, but Brianna and Anita and Zoe Quinn are just walking jokes at this point

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There's absolutely no way it would be this straight forward. This is a business they're running at the end of the day.
Well, Shovel Knight would be a character that likely sold less than 400k on Nintendo hardware, so there are bigger sellers they could be choosing from. If SK is in it's all ballot fan service.

Khoru

Smash Champion
WHAT THE ACTUAL ****?!? NO. IT'S CLEARLY POINTED OUT THAT SAMUS IS A WOMAN. THIS IS MEANT TO BE SERIOUS, NOT 'durrhurr, Samus was originally a man in development of the first Metroid' BUT GODDAMN. I have nothing against the transgender. Only against this she-devil
trans woman =/= man? you should know this, ryuga
it's not exactly implausible. people are allowed to have headcanons or whatever
the statement as a definite is silly though
(back to anti-feminist circlejerk now)

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Wu is the biggest attention seeker out there. People seriously need to ignore her.
http://www.gamnesia.com/news/miyamo...n-early-pitch-for-the-shovel-knight-amiibos-i
Not sure what's to react to the fact miyamoto said no to a shvel knight amiibo at first or the fact that they were honored he said no
He didn't say no to the Amiibo, he said no to one of the drafts on how the amiibo would function. Nintendo's really protective of the name and what they're giving the seal of approval, it seems.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I may not agree on most thing Tamaki but he ain't wrong here, at the end of the day, it's all about business and making things easier to sell.

If character like Master Chief were at the top of the ballot with the most votes, shouldn't mean that Sakurai should automatically choose him.

Should anyone give a flying crap what this moron believes?

I don't and neither should you.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Most likely wasn't. And choosing the character that people want is business. I mean, stuff like how old, new or relevant is the character is irrelevant if a lot of people want that character. They want the DLC to sell, they will choose the character that tons of people want. That is business. But like I said, this is just as likely not to be the case should Sakurai be as unpredictable as he always is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I am ****ing LIVID. First she trashes Xenoblade calling it 'Menoblade' because Fiora liking Shulk is sexist and not at all mutual and the fact she bases her entire opinion on the characters through the manual, but this is ****ing ********. Someone gimme a link, I want to see this ******** for myself
trans woman =/= man? you should know this, ryuga
it's not exactly implausible. people are allowed to have headcanons or whatever
the statement as a definite is silly though
(back to anti-feminist circlejerk now)
In my blind rage I forgot to add cis. It is implausible, the canonical manga is my evidence. I doubt that the Chozo all decide to call her female and give her hormones and that Ridley would respect transfolk

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
You're still comparing apples and oranges here, though.

Yooka-Laylee asked for far more money than Shovel Knight.
Yooka-Laylee is a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie, made by largely the same core team.
Shovel Knight was not a spiritual successor to any one game in particular.
Shovel Knight was asking for far less money.
Yooka-Laylee was being hyped left and right, and teased to Banjo fans in magazines and websites before the Kickstarter even launched.
Shovel Knight happened first, and was important in getting people to even take Kickstarter games seriously to begin with.

You can't fairly compare the success of their Kickstarters to make...whatever point you're trying to make by bringing this up.
Just because they asked for more money, why does that matter? No one had to give them any money at all. There are still more people who gave them more money than they were willing to do for Shovel Knight. Plus, multiple key Banjo-Kazooie team members were absent. But none of this really matters. The fact remains that Yooka-Laylee garnered more interest than Shovel Knight did in the only comparable periods of time we can deliberate on right now.

You'd just as well be arguing that Mario is less significant than Fire Emblem because it has a bigger budget and appeals to a wider demograph.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Samus was shown as a little girl in the Manga, which is canon. So unless she started transitioning when she was 4, than no, she is not trans.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
See, I can care less about the whole Samus apparently being trans thing. What I don't care for is the "Deal with it." sentence. Because that's not being an asshole at all.

Y'all don't seem to realize that Samus..IS a trans woman?

http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Hirofumi_Matsuoka "Matsuoka claimed that Samus was a trans woman," According to this guy.

Also there's no need for that offensive word to be used. Just call it "worst" or "bad".
"...though it is unlikely that Matsuoka serves as a canonical source."

Last edited:

Chrono.

I am ****ing LIVID. First she trashes Xenoblade calling it 'Menoblade' because Fiora liking Shulk is sexist and not at all mutual and the fact she bases her entire opinion on the characters through the manual, but this is ****ing ********. Someone gimme a link, I want to see this ******** for myself

Let's chill fam

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Just because they asked for more money, why does that matter?
Because when you meet the initial goal and run out of stretch goals (something SK did with about as much money as Yooka-Laylee's initial funding), funding tends to slow down a lot.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Me: quotes the basis for the authors article on trans samus

Everyone: UHMMM THAT'S WRONG THOUGH, I HOPE YOU'RE JOKING KEK? LEL GUYS LOOK AT THIS GOON WHO BRINGS UP A POINT

Also it's pretty bizarre to see people completely forget what a headcanon is, lol.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
I have some faith in this leak. I do understand why we haven't been given details - no forum mod would ever want an ESRB repeat, and that all started because people basically kept saying "Sure, I trust you with this information." until it landed in the hands of the wrong person. It's best to keep a lid on it.

I honestly don't think Phoenix x Maya should be a thing. To me, they were always more siblings
Fire Emblem taught me that makes it even better ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

oh, Japan

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If you dislike someone's writing so much, what are you doing drawing attention to their articles and providing links?

Seems pretty counterproductive to me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
'Both Dangonronpa and Persona 4 managed to blunder transgender representation. '
FG'lsfgiTL?Ê6ÂÂŒ?*%!-=;.AXF
CHIHIRO WAS NEVER STATED TO BE TRANS AND NAOTO THOUGHT THAT BECAUSE ALL HER ROLEMODELS WERE MALE SHE SHOULD BE TOO.

****. If that alone made me stop reading I'm glad I'm done. CoroCoro leaks on the 10th, right?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Because when you meet the initial goal and run out of stretch goals (something SK did with about as much money as Yooka-Laylee's initial funding), funding tends to slow down a lot.
Yooka-Laylee ran out of stretch goals extremely early on (they actually had to add more because of demand), and people continued to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom