• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Last edited:

Chrono.

Nintendo just uploaded a handful of Happy Home Designer videos.

Dunno if that adds fuel to the "Directs are retired" fire but there ya go.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm on mobile right now and can't see any changes

But Shovel Knight shouldn't, right?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Plus the Yooka-Laylee Kickstarter made over 10 times the Shovel Knight one.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still can't help but think they'll still do Directs for the debuts of completely new games. And any Smash stuff, maybe.

I dislike the fact that at this point we still don't even know who Iwata's successor is. I know Miyamoto and Takeda were temporarily filling in after Iwata's passing, but I imagine the actual selection of a permanent CEO is a long and arduous process.

Maybe that's why there's been no new Direct; the new CEO hasn't been selected yet

Last edited:
S

Silver_1357

Probably because it had something to do with Rare and a few of the employees creating a new game that probably plays similar to Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

How much money it got on Kickstarter means nothing
Mighty No. 9 anyone?
Yooka Laylee isn't even out yet, for all we know, it can end up with the same fate as MN9

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Mighty No. 9 anyone?
Yooka Laylee isn't even out yet, for all we know, it can end up with the same fate as MN9
Still.

For the record I don't necesarrily condone Yooka-Laylee being in Smash, just that they're a far less evil than Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Oh, that's why I stopped getting notifications for this. Right then.

S

Silver_1357

Mighty No. 9 anyone?
And Red Ash.

Y'know, that Megaman Legends spiritual successor that was gonna happen but it was a disaster from the start?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Shovel Knight asked for only 75K USD though, and it got people looking at videogame Kickstarters by being really good.
Inafune is ruining Kickstarter's rep tho

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Even though we're all not as salty about Shovel Knight, it just still blows my mind that they're going to put him in the game. I'm not saying this as a bad thing.

Smash has had alot of surprise characters throughout its lifespan, but this is just confusing onto why they would chose a young IP that may or may not end up popular in the next five years. If you thought Ryu broke me, just wait until Shovel Knights's revealed. Pompeii will be erupting from my head.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Any reasons outside of 'muh Rare nostalgia'?
They garnered far more interest in their kickstarter than SK did (10 times more to be exact). That's a pretty key sign that it's going to be a bigger deal. Barring any MN9 fiasco's, which seems unlikely as MN9 was doomed from the start. They basically had a couple concept pictures for their initial pitch. As opposed to a playable alpha build that fans could see before sending in their $£$£. Keiji also has a habit of announcing things and screwing fans over since he left Capcom (see: King of Penguins).

Yooka-Laylee also essentially exist as Banjo-Kazooie replacements, wouldn't it be pretty fitting that they acted as their replacements in Smash also? Beck only exists as a replacement of Mega Man. Who is already in Smash.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Even though we're all not as salty about Shovel Knight, it just still blows my mind that they're going to put him in the game. I'm not saying this as a bad thing.
Slow down there. Shovel Knight is a rumor. A rumor with seemingly increasing weight, but a rumor nonetheless. Lets not speak in absolutes, that's how people get disappointed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They garnered far more interest in their kickstarter than SK did (10 times more to be exact). That's a pretty key sign that it's going to be a bigger deal. Barring any MN9 fiasco's, which seems unlikely as MN9 was doomed from the start. They basically had a couple concept pictures for their initial pitch. As opposed to a playable alpha build that fans could see before sending in their $£$£. Keiji also has a habit of announcing things and screwing fans over since he left Capcom (see: King of Penguins).

Yooka-Laylee also essentially exist as Banjo-Kazooie replacements, wouldn't it be pretty fitting that they acted as their replacements in Smash also? Beck only exists as a replacement of Mega Man. Who is already in Smash.
'Mn9 was doomed from the start' THE ****?
Problem is...Shovel Knight was made by people nobody knew, Yooka Laylee got so much support simply because Rare devs who made classics made it. That's like saying if a stranger give you a nice vase it's **** because it's not of a specific brand. Name recognition is the biggest thing that helped Yooka Laylee. As someone who didn't grow up with Banjo and can't wait to finalpy get my mitts on both games, I think I can safely say I'm unbiased

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Problem is...Shovel Knight was made by people nobody knew, Yooka Laylee got so much support simply because Rare devs who made classics made it. That's like saying if a stranger give you a nice vase it's **** because it's not of a specific brand. Name recognition is the biggest thing that helped Yooka Laylee. As someone who didn't grow up with Banjo and can't wait to finalpy get my mitts on both games, I think I can safely say I'm unbiased
Uh. Shovel Knight was made up of exWayforward employees.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shovel Knight was made by ex-Wayforward devs.... it was actually a big part of their sales pitch. They're not Rare, but they weren't exactly an unknown quantity either.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Yooka-Laylee looks nice, but at the end of the day, it's a game that rode the legacy of Banjo-Kazooie. It's developed by former RARE guys who wanted to make another collectathon platformer because they can't work on Banjo anymore. And it shows. That's not to say there's anything wrong with that, or that it won't be good, but as an avid Banjo fan it feels like a bit of an imitation.

That's why Kickstarter games like Shantae and Shovel Knight appeal to me more. People funded Yooka-Laylee knowing that it's the closest they were gonna get to Banjo 3. I'm sure the game's going to be great, but it doesn't make the game or characters super noteworthy. Shovel Knight, on the other hand, payed tribute to several classic and modern games while creating its own identity, and when Shantae 1 was released it got a lot of attention for its dancing mechanics/animation, and for having a fun main character. Both of them are a lot more daring.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
From the Shovel Knight Kick starter:

Yacht Club Games is an independent game developer started in 2011 by Sean Velasco and a crew from WayForward. We are a fun-loving bunch of gaming geniuses who have dedicated our lives to video games ever since we saw our first pixels. However, our serious and solemn goal is to make really awesome original games that fuse modern and retro sensibilities, and we have the pedigree to prove it! Our team is comprised of top talent that has worked on some amazing titles, including Contra 4, A Boy and His Blob, Thor: God of Thunder, Mighty Milky Way, BloodRayne Betrayal, and most recently, Double Dragon Neon.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Yacht Club Games is an independent game developer started in 2011 by Sean Velasco and a crew from WayForward. We are a fun-loving bunch of gaming geniuses who have dedicated our lives to video games ever since we saw our first pixels. However, our serious and solemn goal is to make really awesome original games that fuse modern and retro sensibilities, and we have the pedigree to prove it! Our team is comprised of top talent that has worked on some amazing titles, including Contra 4, A Boy and His Blob, Thor: God of Thunder, Mighty Milky Way, BloodRayne Betrayal, and most recently, Double Dragon Neon.
Some of those had mixed reviews iirc. Even then, not as big as Rare's legacy
Also, someone said Inafune ruined Kickstarter, Shenmue might have tbh

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

You can't seriously compare that kind of resume to Mega Man, Banjo or Castlevania. It's more like reassurance that this isn't their first attempt to make a video game.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Some of those had mixed reviews iirc. Even then, not as big as Rare's legacy
Also, someone said Inafune ruined Kickstarter, Shenmue might have tbh
They had a pedigree, that was my point. I'm not saying they compare in any way to Rare, just that they had a level of name recognition that they used to sell their product.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
All I know is that I can't wait for YL and Bloodstained.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Most problems of a Kickstarter like Bloodstained, YL and MN9 was that is was funded moreso on that Gun Ho idea of "**** Konami/Capcom/Rare+Microsoft, we are gonna make it ourselves"

Shovel Knight never had that reasoning for funding their game.

I don't like arguing the ideas over Kickstarter because it can lead into an argument that nobody wants.

And my opinions on stuff like indies is very controversial. Mostly because I just find that most don't standout or interest me. Most of them are ever unoriginal aside from already established series. Plus I hate the idea of paying for the game instead of buying it when it's out but that's me

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Rare fans are made of ****ing cultists, and Wayforward is admittedly very small, so my point on name recognition still stands
Wayforward aren't exactly uknown. They've been around for decades. They even worked on the Ducktales remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom