• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social NintenZone Social 2.0: Remember That Time Candle Jack Visited Swa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
>Sees people going ape**** over the suggestion that Samus is trans.
>Flashes back to ****storm about gender choice in Zelda games.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the article about Samus, but there is definitely at least one point in the article I agree with.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The current subject is Samus being a transgender woman...?

My reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ9h85NImEM

I never imagined people would go through these lengths to cause a ****storm. And look at that blatant click-bait sensationalist title...

Never change, humanity. Never change...

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yooka-Laylee ran out of stretch goals extremely early on (they actually had to add more because of demand), and people continued to back.
Right, and SK didn't make nearly as many. YK continued to make initiatives to fund the game.

EDIT: I'm not trying to diminish YK's success at all but comparing the two Kickstarters is pointless.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I have some faith in this leak. I do understand why we haven't been given details - no forum mod would ever want an ESRB repeat, and that all started because people basically kept saying "Sure, I trust you with this information." until it landed in the hands of the wrong person. It's best to keep a lid on it.

Fire Emblem taught me that makes it even better ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

oh, Japan
I'm 50% in on the rumor myself. @ Tama Tama may not have a perfect track record, but he has proven to have a few accurate sources in the past. I don't think Neo would stake his reputation on something he didn't believe in and I have a lot of respect for PushDustIn's opinion. Not knowing the natures of the source(s), though, makes me remain fairly skeptical.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I am ****ing LIVID. First she trashes Xenoblade calling it 'Menoblade' because Fiora liking Shulk is sexist and not at all mutual and the fact she bases her entire opinion on the characters through the manual, but this is ****ing ********. Someone gimme a link, I want to see this ******** for myself

In my blind rage I forgot to add cis. It is implausible, the canonical manga is my evidence. I doubt that the Chozo all decide to call her female and give her hormones and that Ridley would respect transfolk
Oh boy, I remember her talking about Xenoblade. She said it was sexist because a female character didn't appear in the first 15 minutes.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
i'm sure it's fake but what you find
I think it has some weight to it. For one he had alot of something called, "Human Emotion" he was sad that he got fired from his job so he wanted to get back at Bandai Namco by leaking the information to the internet. Not many leaks have emotion like this and usually sound like an advertisement, an example of this being the Smash World rumor, and they end up being fake most of the time. Another thing was that he did say that he respected Sakurai as a colleague, and said things that were totally realistic, such as him being stressed and having a hard time. He also stressed about how Sakurai was sad about King K. Rool and felt he let down the fans, which is also realistic. Another thing I found was about the region decided characters, I looked at the three versions of the ballot and noted they all had at least one difference, the American is anonymous, the European one isn't, and while the Japanese one is almost the same as the European one, the submissions for that one are recorded in full Japanese. Also this does correlate with the Shovel Knight rumor and Sakurai's reasons on including him. There is no other reason Sakurai would ever include Shovel Knight unless it was fanservice. He even mentioned how Sakurai broke his own code: Iconic third party characters that have contributed to something. These are all of the things I could find for the time being, if I can find anymore than I will post them.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So looks like Mario Maker has some store demos out and about.
Messed around with it, and can confirm the Cape Feather is still deliciously broken. It moves a bit slower when you're "flying" at the peak of your jump but that's literally it.
I don't care how many broken levels people make, I'll download them, switch to the Mario World theme, give myself a cape feather and flip off the sky. Fkwkfwk

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I think it has some weight to it. For one he had alot of something called, "Human Emotion" he was sad that he got fired from his job so he wanted to get back at Bandai Namco by leaking the information to the internet. Not many leaks have emotion like this and usually sound like an advertisement, an example of this being the Smash World rumor, and they end up being fake most of the time. Another thing was that he did say that he respected Sakurai as a colleague, and said things that were totally realistic, such as him being stressed and having a hard time. He also stressed about how Sakurai was sad about King K. Rool and felt he let down the fans, which is also realistic. Another thing I found was about the region decided characters, I looked at the three versions of the ballot and noted they all had at least one difference, the American is anonymous, the European one isn't, and while the Japanese one is almost the same as the European one, the submissions for that one are recorded in full Japanese. Also this does correlate with the Shovel Knight rumor and Sakurai's reasons on including him. There is no other reason Sakurai would ever include Shovel Knight unless it was fanservice. He even mentioned how Sakurai broke his own code: Iconic third party characters that have contributed to something. These are all of the things I could find for the time being, if I can find anymore than I will post them.
This is all opinion. This doesn't change a thing about the leak.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Right, and SK didn't make nearly as many. YK continued to make initiatives to fund the game.

EDIT: I'm not trying to diminish YK's success at all but comparing the two Kickstarters is pointless.
Shovel Knight had 12.
Yooka-Laylee had 15 after they added 4 due to overwhelming success.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Oh boy, I remember her talking about Xenoblade. She said it was sexist because a female character didn't appear in the first 15 minutes.
Wait... Really?
That sounds almost comically incompetent. You sure it wasn't some joke article?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You guys really should put down the pitchforks and consider what so many people in this thread are saying.

I get you want to make those evil tumblr special snowflakes and their leader pay, but it's not really gonna help your case if you keep giving her publicity by talking about it.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Wait... Really?
That sounds almost comically incompetent. You sure it wasn't some joke article?

Here. So she didn't say that it was sexist because a female character didn't appear after 15 minutes but several hours rather. Which is bull**** btw, because Fiora is a female character and she appears VERY early in the game.

CannaFizz

Smash Apprentice
Just because they asked for more money, why does that matter? No one had to give them any money at all. There are still more people who gave them more money than they were willing to do for Shovel Knight. Plus, multiple key Banjo-Kazooie team members were absent. But none of this really matters. The fact remains that Yooka-Laylee garnered more interest than Shovel Knight did in the only comparable periods of time we can deliberate on right now.

You'd just as well be arguing that Mario is less significant than Fire Emblem because it has a bigger budget and appeals to a wider demograph.
How much money they asked for is extremely important because it has a huge influence on how much they receive in backings. That's why stretch goals exist. Because people aren't nearly as likely to donate if there's nothing left to work toward.

You're trying to argue the merits of characters who haven't even debuted yet because they garnered more attention, but you refuse to acknowledge context because it doesn't matter to you. As long as one number is bigger, that's what's important, right? Yes, they had more backings, but there are legitimate reasons for it. What is the point in bringing this up?

Edit: Edited because I didn't mean to sound too rude.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

People tend to forget that headcanon CANNOT contradict canon, it's an interpretation of something left vague or unexplained
In Samus' case, you can't say she's trans because the ****ING MANGA EXISTS
But if your headcanon is that she's lesbian, for example, then that's fine because there's nothing in the Metroid franchise that states the opposite

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So looks like Mario Maker has some store demos out and about.
Messed around with it, and can confirm the Cape Feather is still deliciously broken. It moves a bit slower when you're "flying" at the peak of your jump but that's literally it.
I don't care how many broken levels people make, I'll download them, switch to the Mario World theme, give myself a cape feather and flip off the sky. Fkwkfwk

Welp. Mario Maker is best Mario game ever now.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Well, Shovel Knight would be a character that likely sold less than 400k on Nintendo hardware, so there are bigger sellers they could be choosing from. If SK is in it's all ballot fan service.
I wasn't saying it wasn't going to have that "fan service" element to it, but business will always be the biggest factor in it. Cynical, but true.

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
oh god Wu's name has been brought up. It's only a matter of time now.

Kojima save us ;_;

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
Stop arguing, you are literally becoming the old Social Thread, about a year ago we got temporarily locked for talking about trans people, just drop it and think of cool SM4SH ideas

D

Deleted member

It's actually funny because I recently found out Anita is almost universally hated on Tumblr
Even they have limits

Welp. Mario Maker is best Mario game ever now.
JOIN THE CAPE CULT TODAY! ALL HAIL THE CAPE!

Last edited by a moderator:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
People are indeed amusing sometimes. :smirk:

Leave it to the likes of feminists and SJWs to cause ****storms over fictional characters in video games.

First, video games were dangerous because crimes and addiction and religion. Now, it's all about political correctness gone to extremes.

What will we have next? :rolleyes:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I'm just going to put out my stance on all these issues. What you guys are debating is your own personal opinions or someone elses opinions. Opinions can be insalted and challenged at as they could be considered a form of an idea. Ideas are meant to be modified and challenged as that's what makes them better or worse.

Insulting the person for their personal opinion or idea is kind of wrong. Now if a person is preventing you from expressing your beliefs/forcing your beliefs onto you, that is extremely wrong in of itself and should be stopped.

Basically what I'm saying is (and I'll probably get alot of flack for this), just stop getting mad at people because they believe in something you don't like or is offensive. It happens all the time in the real world. Now, if there belief was to stop other beliefs and they took their time to physically do that, then we have a problem. But right now, we're just arguing over opinions that practically don't mean much except to ourselves.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
He's said he's autistic iirc, and from what I've experienced, most, if not all autistic people who don't have dyslexia can read quite a bit faster than the average person
Okay, but still, not all of that was opinion, in fact most of it wasn't, I found out most of these things through research.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
There's no way you cloud've read that in a minute. You'd have to be the world's fastest reader.
I skimmed and re-read it. Love how you picked that apart instead of the main point.

Leave it to the likes of feminists and SJWs to cause ****storms over fictional characters in video games.

First, video games were dangerous because crimes and addiction and religion. Now, it's all about political correctness gone to extremes.

This thread's the one causing a ****storm though?

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Here. So she didn't say that it was sexist because a female character didn't appear after 15 minutes but several hours rather. Which is bull**** btw, because Fiora is a female character and she appears VERY early in the game.
I guarentee you she'd have a fit over the events Fiora goes through near the end of the prolouge. Forget that we actually CARED about her, they made that happen to a woman, UNACCEPTABLE.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm just astounding dedicated how far people go to make things seem sexist or racist when they aren't at all. I mean the Xenoblade thing in particular is literally ignoring most of the game.

It reminds me of Anita when she talked about Watch Dogs. She criticized it for having a sex trafficking ring calling it sexist. Except you were there to stop it and save the people trapped in it.

I just wish these two bozos weren't the faces of feminism in the industry. Good could be done. Just not with these two.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

...Wait that doesn't make a lot of sense. I mean, the first few minutes are to establish the conflict, and even then I don't see why we have to have a time limit to when a female character is introduced so a game can be called misogynistic.
I mean, say what you want about Tumblr, but even they don't stoop to that level.

D

Deleted member

We had wars in the past because of races and religions
In the future, it will be all about gender and sexuality
Humanity has always been doomed
It belongs in the trash

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I wasn't saying it wasn't going to have that "fan service" element to it, but business will always be the biggest factor in it. Cynical, but true.
It's true, it's the reason why Banjo and Kazooie could win the ballot ten times over and never sniff Smash. I honestly wonder if something is going on with YCG and Nintendo behind the scenes. They're not a big enough company to offer much to Nintendo, but perhaps Nintendo secured publishing rights in Japan and wants to raise awareness of the franchise beforehand?

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Kojima is probably hiding from rabid MGS fans right now.
That reminds me. Vinny of Vinesauce will be playing The Phantom Pain, which s fantastic, because my computer doesn't support TPP. So I get to see the story through the playthrough of my favorite streamer.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I SAY, WE TIP OVER SOMETHING.

Video Games are in a bad light because it's a new age medium that despite existing for almost 45+ years, is still relatively new compar d to music, television and movies. Even comics went through it for a while (and still does)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom