• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea for all we know, Isaac was high up in the list but was an "unrealizable" character. Since we never did find out the whole rankings (understandably so) and Bayonetta was the highest on the "realizable" character.

I really hope he gets added without the need of another ballot.

Although the iconic design for Isaac is great, I would also love a hybrid design for him like Roy got.

Last edited:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Cuz u want Isaac amirite? :p
Honestly I don't care if I don't get who I want anymore. I've lost hope for Isaac and whoever else a long time ago.

Now I just don't want any more Fire Emblem characters. That's literally all. And if Sakurai's gotta leave for that to happen, then that's what I want.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly I don't care if I don't get who I want anymore. I've lost hope for Isaac and whoever else a long time ago.

Now I just don't want any more Fire Emblem characters. That's literally all. And if Sakurai's gotta leave for that to happen, then that's what I want.
Yeah don't get me wrong i'm totally with you on the FE thing. A lot of people are sick to death of the FE over saturation in the game. Although I do feel the FE16 protag will inevitably get in to Smash because IS wants their baby to always be in the game.

Although I blame the lack of Isaac on Camelot for really doing nothing with the franchise. Sure DD didn't perform as well as they hoped but it wasn't a complete failure. To kill a franchise for one entry is competently short sighted and foolish. If we had GS4 in like 2013, 2014, or 2015 we would have had Isaac in the game by now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think one thing that everyone can agree on, Isaac supporter or not, is that his removal as an AT was whack. Even if he was never destined to become playable, he was one of the most popular ATs, and GS was one of the more notable non-playable series remaining. I can only wonder what the reasoning was.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I think one thing that everyone can agree on, Isaac supporter or not, is that his removal as an AT was whack. Even if he was never destined to become playable, he was one of the most popular ATs, and GS was one of the more notable non-playable series remaining. I can only wonder what the reasoning was.
Yeah. Advance Wars still had it's AT in (thank goodness lol) and it's been gone longer than Golden Sun has. Then you factor in all the niche franchises that got an AT in the game and it really makes you wonder.

Some people attribute it to the 3DS and it could be a factor but I doubt it really. Another theory that I like to believe is that he was going to have him playable but then Sakurai cut him somewhere in development which would defiantly help his chances in the future. I guess it will forever be one of Smash Bros' mysteries lol.

Last edited:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Hey, at least we got a new track... right?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sakurai: All right you can have this new track I ripped off Youtube but in return i'm removing Isaac's AT.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah. Advance Wars still had it's AT in (thank goodness lol) and it's been gone longer than Golden Sun has. Then you factor in all the niche franchises that got an AT in the game and it really makes you wonder.

Some people attribute it to the 3DS and it could be a factor but I doubt it really. Another theory that I like to believe is that he was going to have him playable but then Sakurai cut him somewhere in development which would defiantly help his chances in the future. I guess it will forever be one of Smash Bros' mysteries lol.
I mean if it can handle ATs like Saki, Takamaru, Phosphora, Dark Samus, Mother Brain, Dr. Kawashima, etc. who spam ****, you'd think it could handle a slowly moving hand, right?

I'd also like to believe it was because at some point he might've been intended for playability, but who really knows...

yeh...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I mean if it can handle ATs like Saki, Takamaru, Phosphora, Dark Samus, Mother Brain, Dr. Kawashima, etc. who spam ****, you'd think it could handle a slowly moving hand, right?

I'd also like to believe it was because at some point he might've been intended for playability, but who really knows...
I would like to think so but IDK for sure. Maybe the properties of Isaac's move Psynergy caused the 3DS to lag a lot? That's the only thing I can think of.

It could be the case although i'm doubtful. Sakurai mentioned once that a lot of characters end up not making the final cut so maybe Isaac was one of them.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Me when game was launched: Oh boi new track, totally fair trade for losing Isaac!

<.<

Please don't get the flashbacks started, we gotta look ahead!

I also belong to the "planned to be playable, then Sakurai changed his mind" camp.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's the article I was looking for.

https://smashboards.com/threads/bowser-jr-was-almost-cut-from-smash-4.385005/

Nintendo Dream That's incredible speed! By the way, when deciding on which characters to use, are you looking into unreleased new games?

Sakurai: At the very beginning I did that. This time our project-proposal is dated May 2012, at that time all characters were decided already. Then as production moves on we will say "We won't put that character in" and cut out low-priority-characters.
Sakurai states that the roster's deadline was May 2012 which makes sense because everyone other than Greninja (special circumstance) made their appearances before then. Isaac (through DD) being one of them.

Nintendo Dream: That means in your project-proposal there are more characters than ended up in the game?

Sakurai: Yes, but I won't tell which of course.

Nintendo Dream: (laughs). We were wondering all the time "Which characters will be in", and then the "long-time heroes" are announced just like that. We were wondering if that was the right way to announce them.

Sakurai: After all we were planning on including so many characters, in the end this pace of announcing them was enough. Each and every character has fans, we wanted to drop as few as possible. About the order of which character has priority, the characters that don't have a new title coming up have an overwhelming disadvantage...even characters that we ended up including could have been left out if development had progressed differently. But even if 1 former character is left out, for the fans this is a huge thing. On our side, we are re-creating characters from the previous title, and keep on adding more, so the word "reduce" is not appropriate. There are cases where we simply couldn't make it in the end, but on the whole we did a good job I think and the people at Bandai Namco Games did a great job. We had discussions on giving up on something many many times, Bowser Jr. was on the brink of being cut but the staff said "We'll do our best!" and we made it.
I feel like Isaac was one of those characters Sakurai was talking about since their was no GS on the horizon. Even Bowser Jr. was lucky to make it in the game.

I'm really curious to know which characters almost made each Smash game. Of course I have no way of knowing that lol.

Last edited:

_Sheik

Smash Lord
A quick glance at Mario Tennis Aces tells you that Nintendo never gave enough time to Camelot to truly shine; and seeing as how Dark Dawn bombed, Nintendo deemed the focus had to stay on Mario spin-offs for a while since those are part of a "safe" IP with insane brand recognition. So Camelot had to churn out multiple games with excessive deadlines, leading to disappointing, average, or barebones games on both Wii U and 3DS.

Seems like they've been able to make the most of it now, as Aces is looking ace, probably in part thanks to the failure of Ultra Smash from which they salvaged the assets (and engine?)

Now it's uncertain whether Golden Sun will be considered again in the near future by either Nintendo or Camelot, but I'm optimist that MT Aces will teach them a lesson about the importance of taking their time; hopefully they can squeeze in an extra year or two in their schedule so they can gather enough resources and a competent crew for a decent GS game.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's the article I was looking for.

https://smashboards.com/threads/bowser-jr-was-almost-cut-from-smash-4.385005/

Sakurai states that the roster's deadline was May 2012 which makes sense because everyone other than Greninja (special circumstance) made their appearances before then. Isaac (through DD) being one of them.

I feel like Isaac was one of those characters Sakurai was talking about since their was no GS on the horizon. Even Bowser Jr. was lucky to make it in the game.

I'm really curious to know which characters almost made each Smash game. Of course I have no way of knowing that lol.
The closest you'll get is the Definitive List of Unused Characters. That's probably the best thing we have to knowing which characters were considered then dropped immediately, cut during development, or were in the planning stages.

As for Mario Tennis Aces, maybe if it sells well and Camelot thinks they've got their confidence back, maybe then we'll see Golden Sun again, perhaps as a Remaster of Golden Sun 1 and The Lost Age in one game card. That'd be awesome to have the games in one medium so you essentially have an old-save bonus...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A quick glance at Mario Tennis Aces tells you that Nintendo never gave enough time to Camelot to truly shine; and seeing as how Dark Dawn bombed, Nintendo deemed the focus had to stay on Mario spin-offs for a while since those are part of a "safe" IP with insane brand recognition. So Camelot had to churn out multiple games with excessive deadlines, leading to disappointing, average, or barebones games on both Wii U and 3DS.

Seems like they've been able to make the most of it now, as Aces is looking ace, probably in part thanks to the failure of Ultra Smash from which they salvaged the assets (and engine?)

Now it's uncertain whether Golden Sun will be considered again in the near future by either Nintendo or Camelot, but I'm optimist that MT Aces will teach them a lesson about the importance of taking their time; hopefully they can squeeze in an extra year or two in their schedule so they can gather enough resources and a competent crew for a decent GS game.
The most I hope for is after Aces comes out they can get the golf game out by 2020, and then they'll have a few years in which they could try their hand at GS before the next system needs its sports titles. It's not like there's two separate platforms to satisfy any more...

The closest you'll get is the Definitive List of Unused Characters. That's probably the best thing we have to knowing which characters were considered then dropped immediately, cut during development, or were in the planning stages.

As for Mario Tennis Aces, maybe if it sells well and Camelot thinks they've got their confidence back, maybe then we'll see Golden Sun again, perhaps as a Remaster of Golden Sun 1 and The Lost Age in one game card. That'd be awesome to have the games in one medium so you essentially have an old-save bonus...
That's a very good list, but it's never really going to be "definitive". It can't be; we'll never be privy to everything that goes on behind the scenes. Like we didn't know Geno was considered for Brawl until what... two years ago?

Not that I'm implying anything about Isaac.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would love for Isaac to have his hand as a controllable R move. It of course would be his grab, but angled in different ways, he would just have his giant psynergy hand to assist him with push or pull moves of any sort. That seems perfectly suiting for him, and yet another way he would stand out.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Not that I'm implying anything about Isaac.
His absence as an Assist is so suspect that I’m willing to bet he was planned and cut. How far into development is up in the air, but it was late enough it wasn’t even possible to put him back as an AT.

Or the 3DS just didn’t have enough space for one more AT. I’d rather believe the conspiracy theory though.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Whelp, I'm back for ride #2. I only desperately want 3 newcomers in Smash 5, and Isaac is definitely one of them. Let's hope we finally can have him playable!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
maybe then we'll see Golden Sun again, perhaps as a Remaster of Golden Sun 1 and The Lost Age in one game card. That'd be awesome to have the games in one medium so you essentially have an old-save bonus...
A HD cel shaded, Tales-esque remaster of Golden Sun 1 & 2 on the Switch would be so good.

I feel like this would be a better idea to relaunch the franchise than going for Golden Sun 4, as much as we may want that.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah a full remake of the GBA games on the Switch is the right way to go for Golden Sun. Hell I wouldn't even mind if they completely retconned Dark Dawn and focused on Isaac on co. for the games that followed.

Like I would want a game where you can experience both GS1 and GS2 from both Isaac's and Felix's PoV. So in this game you can experience GS1 from the PoV of Felix and GS2 from the PoV of Isaac.

D

Deleted member

I don't know if this is the right place to say it, but I'm gonna continue GS1 as soon as spring break continues (Which is in 10 days).
Should also get to work on my Isaac moveset.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of movesets, here's mine.

Isaac is not your usual sword user. Yes, he does use a sword, but he focuses more on zoning than spacing. He does this by shaping the terrain and pushing people away with his many tricky attacks.

Neutral Special: [Quake] -> [Grind] Isaac lifts up his hands and a large stone wall erupts from the ground. It will act and interact with characters like Villager's tree but it will be much, much more versatile. Isaac will be able to interact with the obstacle with many of the following attacks. If the obstacle sits there too long, takes too much damage, or if the player uses their neutral special again, the obstacle will shake, cause minor damage to anyone close, then disappear. It has a fairly slow start up and deals moderate damage.

Side Special: [Move] One of the most iconic abilities in the Golden Sun series. This is a non-damaging, short ranged, utility Psynergy that is used to push opponents away as well as reflect projectiles. If it is used on a Quake obstacle, it will push it a fair distance away from the user and inflict mediocre damage to anyone in the way. It acts similar to Palutena's Reflect Barrier.

Down Special: [Ragnarok] Isaac charges up and causes a large stone sword to come out of the ground and strike opponents diagonally upwards. The longer the move is charged, the greater the distance will be between the sword and Isaac. The player can slowly walk and jump around while charging the move. It takes a while to fully charge and deals the same damage throughout. The knockback is very strong but it doesn't scale very well.

Up Special: [Retreat] Isaac spins around and disappears in an explosion of rainbow-coloured orbs then reappears elsewhere in a controlled direction. A simple teleport that does no damage.

Jab: [Odyssey] A seemingly basic 3 hit jab with a sword but with a twist: for the final hit, Isaac will throw out his sword for slightly more range. It will then fly back to him, Mjolnir style. It's slower than most jabs and has fairly low damage. It's mainly just used to throw opponents into Isaac's ideal range.

Dash Attack: [Flint] Isaac summons the Djinni Flint to jump forward and slash. This attack does solid damage, but it doesn't have nearly as much knockback power as Link's jump strike.

Side Tilt: [Centurion] Isaac takes his sword and stabs forward repeatedly, similar to the downward hit of Marth's Dancing Blade.

Up Tilt: [Sabre Dance] Isaac tosses his sword above him as it spins magically, then Isaac catches it again. It uses magic to emphasize Isaac's uniqueness. It's similar to Palutena's forward tilt or Ike's Aether.

Down Tilt: [Spiral Assault] Isaac tosses the sword low to the ground as it spins magically. Basically a copy of Palutena's down tilt.

Side Smash: [Force] Isaac shoots out a projectile in the shape of a fist. It will increase in range the more you charge the attack. It's similar to Megaman's Charged Mega Buster in that regard. It's also able to interact with Quake. If this projectile hits a Quake obstacle, the obstacle will fall down and deal a lot of damage. It's a very deadly attack, but both the fist and the obstacle are reflectable.

Up Smash: [Lift] Issac Attacks by using a Psynergy hand to slap enemies upwards. It will be similar to Ragnarok in that the distance between the player and the resulting attack will increase based on how long the attack is charged. If it interacts with Quake, the obstacle will flip upwards and spin comically for a second. It will then fall and burry anyone standing underneath it. It won't do a lot of damage, but it will help you control the stage.

Down Smash: [Crush] Isaac summons two Psynergy hands to smash in front of him. Again, the distance between the player and the hands will increase the more they charge it. If it interacts with Quake, the obstacle will break under it, sending projectiles flying in all directions.

Neutral Aerial: [Spin Strike] Isaac spins his sword around him. Similar to Ike's nair.

Forward Air: [Critical Move]
Isaac swings his sword vetically down from above him. Similar to Ike or Cloud's fair.

Back Air: [Sonic Smash] Isaac swings his sword multiple times behind him while spinning. Similar to Meta Knight or Link's bair.

Up Air: [Rolling Attack]
Isaac swings his sword above him. Like Marth or Roy's uair, but with more range around Isaac.

Down Air: [Fearless Attack] Isaac visciously slams his sword downward. If it hits, the sword will explode and the opponent is sent straight down.

Grab: [Catch] Isaac sends out a Psynergy hand to grab his opponents. It has a fairly long range, but it also has a lot of end lag.

Pummel: [Grip] Isaac crushes the opponent in his Psynergy hand. Slower than most.

Forward Throw: [Slap] Slaps the hell out of the poor soul you just grabbed.

Back Throw: [Lash] Pinches the opponent by the head and throws them behind you.

Up Throw: [Carry] Tosses the opponent up and hits them like how you would set a volleyball.

Down Throw: [Pound] Isaac uses two Psynergy hands for this. One hand throws the opponent to the ground and the other smashes it with a fist.

Final Smash: [Judgment] (Idea 1) Isaac takes out a stopwatch and uses Halt on everyone in an area in front of him. He then teleports them to a grassy field where Judgement appears out of the sky and blasts its laser. The laser destroys everything and the screen is filled with light. Then we come back to the stage and we see the opponents getting btfo as Isaac poses.

Final Smash: [Judgement] (Idea 2) Isaac jumps up and dons some heavy armor. Then he aims down and shoots the stage with a huge laser. If it hits the stage, the laser will explode into a large ball. You can control this laser like Lucario's Brawl Final Smash.

Shield: [Granite] As Isaac tries to block incoming attacks, the Djinn Granite will spin around him.

Spot Dodge and Rolls: [Sand]
Isaac transforms into a pillar of sand and quickly disappears. He reappears elsewhere after crawling along the ground as a pile of sand. He will be vulnerable as he is transforming back.

Entrance: [Teleport]
Isaac appears on the stage in a puff of rainbow energy. A summon circle also briefly appears on the stage itself.

Taunt 1: Isaac plays with a Djinn.
Taunt 2: Isaac emotes with a random expression. (..., ^_^, >.<, etc.)
Taunt 3: Isaac smugly sits on a Psynergy hand like a chair. (Smash Flash)

Victory 1: Isaac picks up a flower (maybe Cybele?) that sprouts out of the ground.
Victory 2: Isaac hi-fives a Psynergy hand and poses.
Victory 3: Isaac plays with some Djinn.

Fanfare: A nice mix of Golden Sun's main theme and the victory fanfare.

I hope you guys like it. I spent quite a while making this, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Honestly, I would not be entirely surprised if Isaac was planned and therefore not included as an assist trophy, but pushed back to this game given how close it was. At that point, he likely already started development or planning of the next entry and it was not worth putting Isaac back in. Plus the ballot provided a unique opportunity for him to see the demand before committing resources. There is just no doubt that is "cut' is among the most suspect things to ever happen and it definitely means something one way or the other.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I can imagine Isaac's CGI reveal looking like something out of a Avatar: The Last Airbender (a show I think has a Golden Sun feel to it) scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x00x4WcHw

If Sakurai needs inspiration to envision Isaac amongst the Smash roster, he should check out Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender. She's a earth bender, as Isaac is an earth Adept and both can manipulate earth with the palm of their hands. Isaac also has djinn to draw more various elemental power from.

Also, if anyone wants some orchestral nostalgia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG0htaa-Buc

A pretty nice orchestral arranged Golden Sun Medley. Sakurai and the devs need to pull more songs from Golden Sun's arsenal. Game has many incredible tracks!

Accursed Accursed Hmm... that quake into move, and Force is pretty interesting. IMO, I think Isaac could work as a martial arts-ish kinda character and not have to use his sword directly at all, even for stuff like jabs which could be simple punches. The sword could be like a wand for some of his attacks, like the Ragnarok idea you proposed (the Flint idea for dash attack does sound pretty cool. Could be one of those rare times he uses his weapon, imbued with djinn energy). Otherwise, he could probably keep his weapon sheathed most of the time and fight by hand, feet, pysnergy, and earth to help keep him unique from other sword fighters. Anyway, really nice move list!

Edit: IvanQuote IvanQuote Wow, just finished watching that video. It was REALLY interesting. Thanks for the share!

Last edited:

Pennate

Smash Cadet
Well, it looks like I'm back for another round of speculation. I doubt Isaac will make an appearance in this game, but I'll support him until the end.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Didn’t see this put up. It’s a theory-esq video about Golden Sun and some connections or inspirations from irl alchemy:

Cool video. We really need more Golden Sun discussion videos.

I'm following an online anatomy drawing course right now. I'm still not that confident at drawing (especially the human figure), but hopefully (if I get better before Smash releases :p) I might try drawing some Isaac propaganda fanart.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I can imagine Isaac's CGI reveal looking like something out of a Avatar: The Last Airbender (a show I think has a Golden Sun feel to it) scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x00x4WcHw

If Sakurai needs inspiration to envision Isaac amongst the Smash roster, he should check out Toph from Avatar: The Last Airbender. She's a earth bender, as Isaac is an earth Adept and both can manipulate earth with the palm of their hands. Isaac also has djinn to draw more various elemental power from.

A pretty nice orchestral arranged Golden Sun Medley. Sakurai and the devs need to pull more songs from Golden Sun's arsenal. Game has many incredible tracks!

Accursed Accursed Hmm... that quake into move, and Force is pretty interesting. IMO, I think Isaac could work as a martial arts-ish kinda character and not have to use his sword directly at all, even for stuff like jabs which could be simple punches. The sword could be like a wand for some of his attacks, like the Ragnarok idea you proposed (the Flint idea for dash attack does sound pretty cool. Could be one of those rare times he uses his weapon, imbued with djinn energy). Otherwise, he could probably keep his weapon sheathed most of the time and fight by hand, feet, pysnergy, and earth to help keep him unique from other sword fighters. Anyway, really nice move list!

Edit: IvanQuote IvanQuote Wow, just finished watching that video. It was REALLY interesting. Thanks for the share!
Toph and Isaac don't fight similarly at all....
Toph is very physical in her moves. Isaac waves his hand for his psynergy, or Djinn. At most, he moves for his sword.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's funny that you guys mentioned a theoretical Isaac reveal trailer because I had one of those "Smash Dreams" today where Isaac was revealed.

It was really weird because I was in a public place of sorts when it happened crowded with a bunch of people. I think because I watched so many of the character reveals at Nintendo NY on Youtube (where they usually show Nintendo Directs) my brain made me think I was there. I can't recall much but I remember seeing Isaac shown of using his Psynergy and whatnot in battle and then I had the sudden urge to go online and see what everyone was saying. I think the dream might have ended after that.

Smash Dreams are awesome until you realize they never really happened. :(

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Toph and Isaac don't fight similarly at all....
Toph is very physical in her moves. Isaac waves his hand for his psynergy, or Djinn. At most, he moves for his sword.
This is true, though they were some scenes in that video of Toph simply using her hands to draw power from the earth to block and throw projectiles, amongst other stuff, but I proposed a loose interpretation of Isaac summoning forth his powers based on Sakurai's question of "Are the characters dancing?"

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/megaman-villager-wiifit/

Some choice quotes: "To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.

"This is a big factor. Of course getting permission and understanding from the original creators is necessary, but whether the image of the character in my head is dancing powerfully, or not. This is of the utmost importance" --Masahiro Sakurai

Of course, this doesn't mean Isaac needs to be stomping the ground to create an earthquake, but like Pikachu (another Game Boy/turn-based RPG character) who has a cartoon to draw inspiration from, I'm trying to draw a visual where we can perhaps see Isaac... dancing, if you know what I mean. lol

Ura Ura lol. I hear ya. I say never give up on dreams though. Isaac for Smash! :D

Cool video. We really need more Golden Sun discussion videos.

I'm following an online anatomy drawing course right now. I'm still not that confident at drawing (especially the human figure), but hopefully (if I get better before Smash releases :p) I might try drawing some Isaac propaganda fanart.
The Isaac being named after Isaac Newton part was interesting. Especially since Isaac's name from his Japanese creators is Robin, so it's Nintendo of America's Treehouse that drew that name for him, and probably indeed inspired by Newton.

Good luck on your drawings!

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240

Aw, that's super neat! I had no idea that an actual orchestra has gotten to perform Golden Sun songs. I only wish it could have been professionally recorded, but it's still super neat to see!

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
This is true, though they were some scenes in that video of Toph simply using her hands to draw power from the earth to block and throw projectiles, amongst other stuff, but I proposed a loose interpretation of Isaac summoning forth his powers based on Sakurai's question of "Are the characters dancing?"
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/07/09/megaman-villager-wiifit/

Some choice quotes: "To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.

I love your discussion. And I would not be mad if Isaac moved like Toph- anyone drawing inspiration from Avatar (the anime, not the film name that James Cameron hogged for two decades before using) is making a winning argument in my book.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Aw, that's super neat! I had no idea that an actual orchestra has gotten to perform Golden Sun songs. I only wish it could have been professionally recorded, but it's still super neat to see!
There was one more orchestral recording I've found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9DfI7SleCc

The quality is more clear than that other concert recording. This arrangement focues solely on the main theme as played during the ending credits of the first Golden Sun.

Also for the sake of discussion, I want to bring up sales.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

Scroll down to GBA for Golden Sun's numbers. Or read 'em here (there's also a lot of valuable sales info for other franchises in that gaf thread):

Golden Sun: 1.65 million WW LTD
Golden Sun the Lost Age: 1.12 million WW LTD

Unfortunately, Dark Dawn is not listed under DS because it failed to sell over a million. But the point I wanna make is that, I've heard many say Golden Sun is a dead series, blah blah blah Xenoblade and Fire Emblem are the hot stuff now.

Just a friendly reminder that Golden Sun accomplished with its first game, what Fire Emblem (and Xenoblade) took several entries to reach. Plus Golden Sun was a new IP RPG on the GBA that predates social media. Word of mouth was very local. Fire Emblem on the other hand suffered a huge bomb with Shadow Dragon (had it's price slashed to as low as $10) in the west, and the previous titles on GBA/GCN/Wii all failed to cross the million milestone worldwide. Despite that, Ike still got in Brawl, and Isaac was an AT.

Point is, if the success of Awakening can save the Fire Emblem series and turn that whole ship around, I see no reason Golden Sun can't see a comeback as well.

I think Isaac in Smash would go a long way to introducing the IP to a new generation and reviving interest in the franchise. Here's to hoping Nintendo and Sakurai have been thinking along the same page in the past year or two.

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Still got love for Isaac and Golden Sun. Here's hoping for a series revival and a surprise in this Smash.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
I heard Awakening and Fates only sold a few thousand more copies than GS1. Is that true?
Fire Emblem Awakening: 1.79 million WW LTD
Fire Emblem Fates (both versions): 1.84 million WW LTD

The source for these numbers are from the link I provided above. So yes, both Awakening and Fates have surpassed the original Golden Sun. Fire Emblem Heroes, the smartphone app, is also making a lot of money, last I've heard. With a Switch spin-off just released and still getting DLC, and a Switch mainline title on the horizon, Fire Emblem is looking real good right now.

With Golden Sun, I feel like the 8 year hiatus after the Lost Age, coupled with Dark Dawn not being a particularly exciting installment amidst many advancements in RPG game design over the years, has hurt the franchise a good deal. One can only hope Nintendo and Camelot see value in trying to revive the IP one day.

Edit: @Lampy Thanks for the heads up. I threw in my two cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom