• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

D

Deleted member

Here's why it is a new game.

Each installment was given a different vibe. The original was "toys coming to life". Melee was focusing about it being full of Nintendo lore. Brawl was given this orchestration feel and a grittier look. Wii U & 3DS we're both bright and loud in it's appearance and presentation.

The way this teaser went is against the most recent title. Sakurai made that one vibrant with characters having simpler textures, but here? It's ominous; foreboding. The way it quickly transitions from a hectic Splat Fest to a serious invitation means this will be something new and not a mere port.

It's cosmetic but it makes a difference.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And yet they have time to revive Wario Ware on the 3DS. This frigging company man.

Y'know that's a good point. Isaac is just as retro in the present day as the IC's were in Melee.
That's obviously a resource-light endeavour, it seems mostly like a compilation of old microgames.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Here's why it is a new game.

Each installment was given a different vibe. The original was "toys coming to life". Melee was focusing about it being full of Nintendo lore. Brawl was given this orchestration feel and a grittier look. Wii U & 3DS we're both bright and loud in it's appearance and presentation.

The way this teaser went is against the most recent title. Sakurai made that one vibrant with characters having simpler textures, but here? It's ominous; foreboding. The way it quickly transitions from a hectic Splat Fest to a serious invitation means this will be something new and not a mere port.

It's cosmetic but it makes a difference.
There is a major stylistic difference for sure. Although i'm not sure if that clearly indicates a new game or not. I'm leaning more towards yes at this point.

Also there wasn't the Smash *cling* sound effect so that definitely supports the idea of a new game.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
MUAHAHAHAHHAHA I AM TYPING THIS ALL TEARY EYED CAUSE THE ISAAC THREAD IS BACK!

Seriously though, I just watched the direct and as soon as I saw the smash icon my first thought was to log in back to this forum for the Isaac thread and I am so glad I did and that it is back on aleady (now I need to read every single comment like I did with the last thread)!

PS: For anyone not knowing, the Wii Shop channel will be taken down, so make sure you buy Smash 64 everyone, just bought it myself 2 days ago, havent played yet though cause no controller XD

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I believe Isaac's best shot at showing up is probably as a returning assist trophy, and even that probably depends on his performance in the poll. I'd gladly take it, though, losing him even as an assist trophy was really crushing. Here's hoping he at least shows up in some capacity!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
INB4 Isaac returns to Smash as a sticker.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I believe Isaac's best shot at showing up is probably as a returning assist trophy, and even that probably depends on his performance in the poll. I'd gladly take it, though, losing him even as an assist trophy was really crushing. Here's hoping he at least shows up in some capacity!
Obviously the ideal is playable Isaac, but I'll take any Isaac over no Isaac.

I mean at the end last time I was just holding out hope for a Mii costume. I'm still kinda surprised we didn't get one tbh. I know he's not topping any popularity polls these days but he does still have some demand and him over the swordfighter seems like it would've been fairly simple.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
These threads are updating too fast for be to keep up with them. Welcome back adepts!

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Rest assured that this Adept still holds on the hope for Isaac coming to Smash Bros - be it the new game, or in whatever future. Here's hoping we see the best outcome for all us Adepts!

D

Deleted member

Isaac's omission in the last game was clearly (at least in hindsight) due to the limitationsof the 3DS version. Without such restrictions, he is bound to return, but to be honest... I want to play as him.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
IT'S ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME GOLDEN SUN GOT SOME RESPECT. If we even don't get a Stage or something equivalent, im gonna be mad. The series deserves a spot at this point.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Don't care exactly what we get, but as long as we get anything Isaac or Golden Sun related this time around I'm fine.
I was quite unpleased with the absence of Isaac at all in the last game.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, this thread is deader than last time.

Uhhh...

What kind of moveset would you like Isaac to have? I'd personally enjoy a zoning playstyle with a heavy emphasis on terrain manipulation in the same vein as the puzzles from Golden Sun.

Astraltar

Smash Apprentice
I'll just tack my name onto the list of people in favor of Isaac. He could have a mechanic like Shulk where his neutral B switches between his different Djinns.

And while you're at it have Felix be a direct clone occupying the same slot on the character screen.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Oh man, this thread is deader than last time.

Uhhh...

What kind of moveset would you like Isaac to have? I'd personally enjoy a zoning playstyle with a heavy emphasis on terrain manipulation in the same vein as the puzzles from Golden Sun.
Something that integrates his Psynergy, Dijins, and Summons effectively.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Still haven't gotten a chance to really play Golden Sun. I started it but I stopped playing like two years ago. I got busy. That being said I'm still 100% on board for Isaac in Smash.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Still haven't gotten a chance to really play Golden Sun. I started it but I stopped playing like two years ago. I got busy. That being said I'm still 100% on board for Isaac in Smash.
You should. I'm replaying The Broken Seal where i'm trying to get my entire party to lvl 50.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Maybe over the summer when I'm free. There's a lot of games I need to play. I also need to get a Switch lol.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe over the summer when I'm free. There's a lot of games I need to play. I also need to get a Switch lol.
As do I. Money's pretty tight for me and i got fired from my job.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It seems more like a new game than a port. And surprisingly Sakurai (Masahiro, not Takahiro, lol) free.

It has me invigorated, but why so sudden? Even if it's a holiday title, that's less than 9 months to present a lot of information.

Anyway, I just want Isaac back in any capacity.
Wait the game is Sakurai free?

inb4 the new head developer brings their bias

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
There is also the fact the logo is new and doesn't match up with previous ones.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Sakurai is working on the new game. He confirmed it on Twitter.
Ah alright. Is he the director again? Or working out in a lower, less stressful capacity?

Would be interesting to see a new director's approach.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ah alright. Is he the director again? Or working out in a lower, less stressful capacity?

Would be interesting to see a new director's approach.
He seems to be leading the project. That's the impression I got.

He even mentioned something about working in secret.

TheSeanMan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seanybobo2
3DS FC
2492-5096-7585
Wow, it's been a few years. In the time between sm4sh hype and now, I've managed pick up and play Golden Sun. Isaac is now my #1 choice for a newcomer.

Isaac lets out a howl!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At the very least Inkling's reveal finally shows that when presented with a more iconic, recognizable look vs. a more recent, less recognizable look, the iconic one wins out.

Hope that puts the DD Isaac appearance debate to rest.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
At the very least Inkling's reveal finally shows that when presented with a more iconic, recognizable look vs. a more recent, less recognizable look, the iconic one wins out.

Hope that puts the DD Isaac appearance debate to rest.
BOTW Link does throw a wrench in that, assuming it's not just for a bonus costume.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Isaac's omission in the last game was clearly (at least in hindsight) due to the limitationsof the 3DS version. Without such restrictions, he is bound to return, but to be honest... I want to play as him.
Well, personally, I don't think so. Some AT probably consumed more than the Isaac one. I think there were 3 possibilities about the absence of Isaac in Sm4sh:

- The best one: Isaac was considered as a fighter at some point but he was dismissed. So, considering that they wanted to do a ballot and/or they contemplated DLCs, they removed him as a AT just in case he was chosen (obviously, it didn't happen).

- The bad one: Sakurai asked to Camelot Software if they would made another Golden Sun game to put him at least as an AT and they told him that Golden Sun was over. So, Sakurai just eliminated him because he didn't see the point in putting him anymore.

- The realistic one: Considering that the last entry changed his design completly, Sakurai was just "lazy" and didn't want to create him again. I consider it as a realistic because Sakurai put the Weyard song of the Dark Dawn game so basically he was aware of the Dark Dawn existence (unless someone tell me that the songs aren't chosen by Sakurai ^^') and, unlike Custom Robot or the Barbara one, Golden Sun had one game between Brawl and Sm4sh.

Although I really like Isaac and it's my most wanted character, I really think that his options in this game are low. In Sm4sh, we had Dark Dawn as an "excuse" to put him in the game in spite of the sales, but now, considering there aren't more entries, and apparently there are no plans to continue the IP, I think it's improbable his appearance.

His chances could be improved if this Smash is a new entry, and some of the newcomers are chosen due to the ballot. I don't think he was the most requested character, but he is often suggested as a character (in spanish websites he is one of the most popular, but we are a small sample).

Anyways, regarding the ballot... Do you think the fact that Isaac had other names in other regions (Hans in Spain, Robin in Japan, Vlad in France, I don't know if he had other name in Germany) could have decreased his chances?

English is not my first language so I don't know if I did some big mistakes, so sorry for some grammar mistakes in advance.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think people are sleeping on the Ballot.
That said I wouldn't set my expectations too high, especially no one knows how well Isaac did in the Ballot.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think people are sleeping on the Ballot.
That said I wouldn't set my expectations too high, especially no one knows how well Isaac did in the Ballot.
I agree. I mean sure we don't really know how characters performed in the ballot, (Although I think we can assume King K Rool performed strongly because of his Mii costume) but it could end up being a big player in the newcomers we get this time around....and end up creating a lot of unpredictability. (because a lot of wanted characters right now are seen with a "we'd love it but it'll never happen" mindset among the Smash fanbase)

Isaac had a reasonable push behind him, so I'd like to think he ended up at least being noticed by Sakurai. Whether that comes to anything is another thing. I mean just being noticed by Sakurai doesn't mean much when he's also noticing dozens of other potential characters from the ballot, but at least it's a start.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
My perception of Isaac in relation to the ballot is that it should at least get his assist trophy back. It's hard to say how well he did, but I got the impression he was receiving pretty consistent support in the sites I was browsing at the time. Even if Isaac wasn't a top finisher, simply being in the top 25 or so should be enough for Sakurai to consider adding something, however little.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
At the very least we should get an Isaac Mii Costume or something.

Top Bottom