• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah a lot of people thought that was Sakurai's grand plan of turning Isaac playable in the main roster or having him as DLC. Look how that turned out lol.

His removal as AT strikes me as very odd given how Golden Sun is still a relatively noteworthy Nintendo IP and is much bigger than most AT's introduced in this game from new series. Honestly I just feel that it had something to do with 3DS limitations and the properties of his Move Psynergy.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Say, as a new fan who only joined the Smash community during the DLC era of Smash for Wii U and 3DS, how does Isaac's support compare to the older days? He still seemed pretty widespread during the DLC days, which led me to play Golden Sun and start supporting his inclusion.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Say, as a new fan who only joined the Smash community during the DLC era of Smash for Wii U and 3DS, how does Isaac's support compare to the older days? He still seemed pretty widespread during the DLC days, which led me to play Golden Sun and start supporting his inclusion.
It was pretty good for a stint during the ballot; the few initial months were probably the highest it had been since towards the earlier part of Smash 4 speculation, prior to people realizing how much impact recency would play, and when his popularity was still riding high off Dark Dawn. However, Brawl is the time people associate with Isaac having the best chance. He was a strong contender, his series performing about level with Pikmin at the time, so he was fairly anticipated. Probably would've been included too if the competition back then hadn't been so stiff.

When people claim that the series has always been niche, while it's never been huge or anything, they seem to forget that Golden Sun has performed equal to, or better than, several other series already on the roster.

That said, Isaac's popularity was the highest in 2009-10, a time when Smash speculation was largely dormant. This was due to Dark Dawn making Isaac seem like one of, if not the top future contender. If you check the few popularity polls conducted during that era of post-Brawl pre-Smash 4 announcement, basically the Wii's decline and twilight years, you'll see Isaac often claims the top spot.

Unfortunately now it's probably the lowest it's ever been since he first started gaining traction pre-Brawl.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Golden Sun has maintained a low-key popularity for a decade-and-a-half. Even after years out of the spotlight, the games continue to hold a special place in the hearts of anyone who grew up with a Game Boy Advance.

Will Golden Sun make it into SSB5? Who knows. Does the franchise deserve it? Absolutely, without a doubt.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
With the huge popularity that RPGs have gotten since the 3DS, and with the many RPG titles on the Switch so far... I think Golden Sun is a pretty likely candidate for a big revival.

Then again, am being needlessly optimistic here.

The ballot also could be based on less than a fraud, and am pretty decently confident that Isaac has had a lot of votes.

I'll wait this one out and just support Isaac and the revival of Golden Sun like I always did.

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
With the huge popularity that RPGs have gotten since the 3DS, and with the many RPG titles on the Switch so far... I think Golden Sun is a pretty likely candidate for a big revival.

Then again, am being needlessly optimistic here.

The ballot also could be based on less than a fraud, and am pretty decently confident that Isaac has had a lot of votes.

I'll wait this one out and just support Isaac and the revival of Golden Sun like I always did.
Or maybe Nintendo will leave the classic turn-RPGs to the 3rds.

I don't think Nintendo would give the IP to another company. Normally, Japan respects a lot the authors. The best thing we can expect is that Mario Tennis Ace sells very well because this could make Camelot gain more money and they could afford to have another team. But having great sales would mean another Mario Golf after this one.

At least Nintendo recognized Golden Sun (and Advance Wars) when they started the GBA virtual console in Wii U, putting both games initially, and having its sequels few days after (well, at least in Japan xD)...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does it work that way? Camelot has to pay for their own studios? Doesn't Nintendo themselves have a say at this?

Hydewell

Smash Apprentice
Does it work that way? Camelot has to pay for their own studios? Doesn't Nintendo themselves have a say at this?
Camelot is a "second party", which is a company which works regularly with Nintendo but, if they want, they can choose to work with another company like SEGA, Capcom or even Sony. Nintendo doesn't have any % of Camelot, so they can't control them. Nintendo just hires them to make sports games and they are happy doing this. If they want to do a new IP, or even a new Golden Sun game without being specifically hired by Nintendo or some other company, they would pay everything.

Ironically, the fact that they were a "second party" was the cause of the failling of Camelot. If I remember correctly, after doing the GBA/Gamecube Mario Tennis, they wanted to do a MMO Golf game in PC (http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/03/31/interview-camelot-software-planning ), but a lot of employees (the RPG ones) didn't like the idea and abandoned the team in 2005 (which explains the "poor" quality of Dark Dawn), and also that project failed. This was mentioned in this interview in 2008: http://www.cubed3.com/news/10339/1/camelot-considering-breath-of-fire-rpg-revival.html

Edit: it was a pc game, not a mobile one. My bad.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Camelot can't make another Golden Sun without Nintendo's consent (and, likely, funding) and I suspect some degree of the opposite is true as well, given that the copyright is attributed to both of them.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Okay, scenario time. Do you guys think there will be a proper Golden Sun 4, that is, a proper sequel to Dark Dawn, when there will be a new Golden Sun? Or do you guys think a remake of the first (two?) game(s) or a retelling with new mechanics and the like?

Am a bit divided by this. Can't really see them ignore Dark Dawn, but can't see them build up completely from it either...

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Okay, scenario time. Do you guys think there will be a proper Golden Sun 4, that is, a proper sequel to Dark Dawn, when there will be a new Golden Sun? Or do you guys think a remake of the first (two?) game(s) or a retelling with new mechanics and the like?

Am a bit divided by this. Can't really see them ignore Dark Dawn, but can't see them build up completely from it either...
Remake/remaster for sure. There is no way Golden Sun 4 can sell big numbers (which Ninty would want) without reintroducing the series to people. Virtual console releases aren't enough, the series would need the attention a new game gets.

I'm also divided on how they'd work with Dark Dawn but if it is a remake (preferable since that generates more buzz and attracts more people) they can always change some aspects of the story to make it flow better to a 4th game. Probably one with a larger role for Isaac.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Remake/remaster for sure. There is no way Golden Sun 4 can sell big numbers (which Ninty would want) without reintroducing the series to people. Virtual console releases aren't enough, the series would need the attention a new game gets.

I'm also divided on how they'd work with Dark Dawn but if it is a remake (preferable since that generates more buzz and attracts more people) they can always change some aspects of the story to make it flow better to a 4th game. Probably one with a larger role for Isaac.
This is what I've been thinking. However, I think with some serious financial back up, the first two games COULD be reworked into one grand game, which was also the original intention. From that point on, they could just rework Dark Dawn, whilst making a actual new game that fits into the part where Dark Dawn finishes.

I don't know how many times this has been done before, but it's seemingly the best possible scenario for Golden Sun. However, true fans of the franchise might feel cheated on, knowing they are gonna buy into the exact same thing yet again.

What I do hope is that they build off from Dark Dawn's combat mechanics though! That felt quite fresh as a series veteran after playing Dark Dawn. The Djinn designs as well.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman

I hope it's a new game that starts right after Dark Dawn. We really need to know what happened to Isaac and Garet at the end there.

What if that black hole was actually a portal to the Smash Universe, and they got sucked in?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah, at this point in time I think a remake of the first two as a single game (as intended) might be the likeliest scenario given it would be cheaper than an actual GS4.
Often companies test the waters through re-releases, and honestly I don't see Nintendo being confident in a GS4 right off the bat. Though if they really had little confidence in the brand, I suppose if anything, just the first one gets remade.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I hope it's a new game that starts right after Dark Dawn. We really need to know what happened to Isaac and Garet at the end there.

What if that black hole was actually a portal to the Smash Universe, and they got sucked in?
Eh, if they got suck in to the Smash Universe... Where ARE they?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You guys can count me in as a supporter. I pretty much always wanted Issac to be playable in the Smash Bros games. I would definitely give Issac a chance to play as if he were playable.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I need to find a sassy meme of Isaac where he is throwing his psynergy out and saying the classic, "talk to the hand."

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I agree about the remaster/remake thing, and I think Golden Sun could benefit from a few refinements to the dialogue personally, since the one major complaint I see by people who don't like the games is about that. I think a remaster sort of thing would probably be the best thing to do next, since it would help newer players get introduced to the series in a better way than just VC releases.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The dialogue isn't all THAT bad honestly. Weyard is a very lively world and lots of stuff is happening, always. It's just the characters themselves that don't really seem to have much debt. Which is what might actually push Isaac back as a whole... His innitial role in Golden Sun The Broken Seal (apperantly this is the name of the first game) isn't all that much characterised. That came the next two games... Hmm maybe am wrong with this though!

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
i personally think he's likely.

Besides Splatoon and Arms, there's not many new franchises to add, plus he was very requested in the ballot era as well.

He doesn't have much competition either, probably just Demiru and he's very unlikely anyway...

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
i personally think he's likely.

Besides Splatoon and Arms, there's not many new franchises to add, plus he was very requested in the ballot era as well.

He doesn't have much competition either, probably just Demiru and he's very unlikely anyway...
If we're talking about new franchises that could be added, there's way more options than just Tomato Adventures and Golden Sun. ARMS, Paper Mario, The Legendary Starfy, Chibi Robo, Custum Robo, etc...

D

Deleted member

I don't think new franchises are added for the sake of it.
Also how could you guys forget Rhythm Heaven?

FutureSky

Smash Cadet
If we're talking about new franchises that could be added, there's way more options than just Tomato Adventures and Golden Sun. ARMS, Paper Mario, The Legendary Starfy, Chibi Robo, Custum Robo, etc...
Yeah, i guess i was exagerating a bit in that part. xD

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hello Golden Sun fans. Like you, I am hoping out earth shooting boy will get another chance in Smash this time.

If you are interested in talking more about Isaac and other underdogs from smaller series for Smash, I have a Smash server for all your classic Nintendo and non-mainstream needs.

https://discord.gg/R2ZeTqW

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This has bothered me since forever...

WHY do people constantly write Isaac as 'Issac' ?

I need answers to this one

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

Repeated vowels are less common than repeated consonants, especially 's' which is fairly common to see repeated, so people probably natural assume (<see) that it is two s' instead of two a's

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Hello Golden Sun fans. Like you, I am hoping out earth shooting boy will get another chance in Smash this time.

If you are interested in talking more about Isaac and other underdogs from smaller series for Smash, I have a Smash server for all your classic Nintendo and non-mainstream needs.

https://discord.gg/R2ZeTqW
Joined! Smash discussion discords are usually pretty neat. I'm BlueshoeDCVII on there.

This has always seemed like a weird typo to make, to me. Isaac is a pretty common name, so it seems a bit weird that it's misspelled as Issac a lot

D

Deleted member

If you ever see me misspell Isaac in the future, it'll probably be because I just type fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
If you ever see me misspell Isaac in the future, it'll probably be because I just type fast.
The irony of this is that I just realized I've been misspelling "misspell" for a long time as "mispell". :crazy:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Updated support list.

1. _Sheik
  2. 1/128
  3. 9Blades
  4. ☆Jisatsu☆
  5. *Verrix*
  6. Accursed
  7. Adeptmune
  8. Agk0001
  9. AgatioGanon
  10. Aguki90
  11. airConditioner
  12. aldelaro5
  13. alguidrag
  14. Altais
  15. Amberloo
  16. AncientArk
  17. andimidna
  18. Apollyon
  19. Aqua Rock X
  20. AquaDork1
  21. Arcadenik
  22. Arteen
  23. Asian_Charizard
  24. Astraltar
  25. Aureola
  26. Aurora Jenny
  27. AustarusIV
  28. AwesomeCauliflower68
  29. Awesomedude444
  30. Backgammon
  31. Balgorxz
  32. BandannaWaddleDee
  33. Bane84
  34. bassem6
  35. Bassoonist
  36. Bingoshi
  37. Bkupa666
  38. Blackwolf666
  39. Blaziken
  40. BluePikmin11
  41. BoltDragon
  42. BoN~
  43. Bowser-Daimao
  44. BridgesWithTurtles
  45. Browny
  46. Buddy002
  47. Bunny8093
  48. BUnit
  49. Burruni
  50. Calane
  51. CactusBlah
  52. candyissweet
  53. Capita
  54. Cap'nChreest
  55. Captain Toad
  56. CardStealer1
  57. Chapter Serf
  58. CheckmateChuck
  59. CheeseBroJoe
  60. Cheezey Bites
  61. Chromfirmed
  62. ChronoPenguin
  63. ClinkStryphart
  64. CliffJumper
  65. cocy965
  66. Coaltergeist
  67. Crap-Zapper
  68. CrossDispatcher
  69. cybersai
  70. Dalek_Kolt
  71. Dendros
  72. Desert Croc
  73. Destroyer713
  74. Dezeray112
  75. Dhragen
  76. Diddy Kong
  77. Dimensionsword64
  78. DivinexRose
  79. DJ3DS
  80. DJBor
  81. D-Man9293
  82. DoodleDuck97
  83. Doncalot
  84. DraginHikari
  85. Drakonis
  86. Dromader
  87. DukeNapoleon
  88. DustyPumpkin
  89. e105beta
  90. Eagle
  91. EddyBearr
  92. ED Cantu
  93. Edlocke
  94. egaddmario
  95. ElPanandero
  96. El Syd
  97. EndlessChrom
  98. EndlessRain
  99. EnhaloTricks
  100. ethanrodgers223
  101. Ezequileste
  102. Falgor
  103. Falkoopa
  104. False Sense
  105. Felix_the_Slayer
  106. fenyx4
  107. ferioku
  108. Fire Rider
  109. Fire_Voyager
  110. FirstBlade
  111. Flareon
  112. Flintike
  113. fogbadge.
  114. foolssigma
  115. FreddyOnDrugs
  116. Friesnchip
  117. GalacticPetey
  118. Geno Boost
  119. Ghirahilda
  120. GladiusVortex
  121. GM_3826
  122. Gotann
  123. GraveEclipse567
  124. heylodom
  125. hwrdjacob
  126. iam8bit
  127. Icana
  128. iDazedX_x
  129. Inawordyes
  130. IntelliHeath1
  131. Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur
  132. isaac3000
  133. IvanQuote
  134. JaidynReiman
  135. Jak_spoon
  136. Jamurai
  137. JDogindy
  138. JohnnySparkxs
  139. Just a random scrub
  140. jweb22
  141. KCCHIEFS27
  142. KeniththeGatherer
  143. Keybladeguy
  144. Kikaru
  145. Kind Dedede
  146. KingCloud
  147. KingShadow
  148. KiraYoshikage
  149. KirbyDragon
  150. Kirbyfan391
  151. Kisae
  152. Kokirikory
  153. Koori
  154. Kumatora
  155. Kycse
  156. Lady Palutena
  157. Lampy
  158. LaniusShrike
  159. LasermasterA
  160. Leafeon523
  161. LeeYawshee
  162. legendofrob1
  163. LemmyKoopa
  164. lightdasher
  165. LightheartedBum
  166. Lightosia
  167. Linq
  168. littl-myth
  169. Liverpool19
  170. Lone (Thirteenth)
  171. Lonodel
  172. Lord-Zero
  173. Lucanic
  174. Lucimar
  175. Ludjinnado
  176. lunarum
  177. Lukingordex
  178. Lurxy
  179. M23-X0
  180. MacSmitty
  181. MagiusNecros
  182. MAGMIS
  183. MainJPW
  184. Malcolm Belmont
  185. MaskO'Gears
  186. Master Rapier
  187. MasterMushroom
  188. Mav485
  189. Mega Bidoof
  190. Mendelsin
  191. MetalMario128
  192. Minato Arisato
  193. Mikegamer0608
  194. Mishudo
  195. Monkokaio
  196. MonopolyRubix
  197. MorbidAltruism
  198. Moydow
  199. MrMacBeth
  200. MrToxicVoltage
  201. Mythzotick
  202. mynameisv
  203. MysticKnives
  204. N3ON
  205. Neo Zero
  206. Niala
  207. Nimbostratus
  208. Ninjakid41592
  209. Nintendokusou
  210. NitrusVirus
  211. NonSpecificGuy
  212. NoR4U
  213. Octillus
  214. Oddyesy
  215. Oniric Spriter
  216. Oracle_Summon
  217. Organization XIII
  218. Oz37
  219. Pacack
  220. Papagenos
  221. ParanoidDrone
  222. Pcubed007
  223. Pennate
  224. Phaazoid
  225. Plain Yogurt
  226. PlayfulMushroom
  227. POKEMANSPIKA
  228. Powerman293
  229. PSIguy89
  230. PWN3
  231. R.O.B.
  232. Radical Beam
  233. Radori
  234. Raetah
  235. Raziek
  236. Red Ryu
  237. RegiGygas117
  238. Retro gamer
  239. RhymeswithEmpty
  240. Roger Smith
  241. RosaPeach
  242. Royvolution Ream
  243. Ryan
  244. Ryuutakeshi
  245. Sabrewulf238
  246. Sagittarius
  247. sandfall
  248. SanicJan
  249. Scatmansworld25
  250. Scoliosis Jones
  251. Seb9k+
  252. Secret Sexytime
  253. Seleir
  254. Seoxys
  255. sheik93
  256. Shin F.
  257. Shinhed-echi
  258. Shog
  259. Sidboylol
  260. SirCamp
  261. skaaaa
  262. Skeleton o' Fun
  263. Skyblade12
  264. Skyfox2000
  265. Smash_Handle69
  266. SmashBro99
  267. smashkirby
  268. SmashShadow
  269. smashtriforce77
  270. SmilingMad
  271. SMX
  272. Solfiner
  273. someonetookjacob
  274. SonicLink125
  275. SonicSmasher
  276. SorrowOfAcheron
  277. SoulofKhaos
  278. Spatman
  279. Spazzy_D
  280. Speedwagon
  281. Spootondorf
  282. Sqid
  283. SSBFan
  284. Staarih
  285. StaffofSmashing
  286. Strider_Bond00J
  287. StrikeBlade
  288. SuperBrawler
  289. Superfiremario
  290. Supersmash77
  291. Superyoshiom
  292. Swampasaur
  293. TCT~Phantom
  294. TeenGirlSquad
  295. TehEpicRyuga
  296. The Curious Volnutt
  297. The One Who Wrote This
  298. Thekewlusername
  299. T-Hell
  300. TheRealHeroOfWinds
  301. TheSeanMan
  302. TheSpaceKing
  303. The Stoopid Unikorn
  304. TheTactician
  305. thethirdkoopa
  306. ThirdDay
  307. ThunderOverload
  308. TimeSmash
  309. ToothiestAura
  310. True Blue Warrior
  311. Turmalinium
  312. UltimateWario
  313. Ultinarok
  314. Vann Accessible
  315. Vegito2727
  316. Venus of the Desert Bloom
  317. Vintage Creep
  318. Violenceman
  319. walph
  320. Warheart_666
  321. Wigglytuff ★
  322. Wintropy
  323. WhiteEaglePL
  324. Xelion
  325. Xenigma
  326. XeVioN
  327. Xiivi
  328. xLemmy_KoopaX
  329. XTremeGamer1234
  330. XxLtxX
  331. YellowLord
  332. YoshiandToad
  333. Young Horsetail
  334. Your Hero
  335. zagman505
  336. zaiman12345
  337. Zandro
  338. ZanZero
  339. ZarroTsu
  340. ZeldaMaster
  341. ZestyÑ
  342. Zulyar

Just dropping in for one little thing.

My old name, SG9000, is the one used for the supporter list. Is it too much to ask for an update? :lol:
Done.

Top Bottom