• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
On the topic of E3, I had a gut feeling that Kamiya would do something else other than something for the Wii U. Maybe he wanted to do something new or isn't ready to even tackle Murasame Castle yet. I'll still keep a close eye on him during over the months that Scalebound is developed.

He may not have a new game yet, but at least there should be an emphasis on the Virtual Console releases in the near future. Which may come in handy if he's one of the few DLC characters that are available. (At this point, I wouldn't bet on him being in the final roster until I see more results from Sal in the future).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'm gonna stick to my guns and say Takamaru's an unlockable main roster. If not, I'd like to see him and Captain Toad as DLC. King K. Rool and Mewtwo as well if they aren't in.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
So the Miis can use Shurikens, like Takamaru

Do you think the Shuriken is Greninja's water shuriken with a different skin or could it be Takamaru's?

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I don't think the Shuriken's are anybody's but the Mii's, since chakrams and gale strikes also seem to be theirs alone. Also, doesn't Takamaru use kunai?

This does make me a bit nervous, though :urg: Watch, of all the swordsmen with projectiles I would've loved to see - Takamaru, Isaac, Robin - Sakurai will go and only use the concept for the one "character" I absolutely did not want to see. And no, I don't want to make Takamaru/Isaac/Robin Miis, it's not the same, dagnabbit! :mad: [/huffs and puffs]

Reila

I actually think the gale comes from Link's Boomerang. Though I am under the assumption that all Mii moves come from other characters' movesets.

Correct me if I am wrong.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I dunno, I'm thinking they're pretty unique, and any similar-appearing moves are largely just coincidence, or the typical rehashing of moves that we see on other characters anyways, like Pikachu and Luigi both having a chargeable headbutt, or whatever. I suppose there are only so many wholly unique attacks you can give to Brawlers, Gunner and Swordsmen without getting really out there. I don't think they're meant to be specifically copying other characters' moves, but I could be totally wrong.

Edit: Actually, it seems the chakrams could be Megaman's saw blades, so maybe I am totally wrong - I don't even know anymore, these dang Miis got me all flustered! D8

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I dunno, I'm starting to think the Mii specials are half-baked clone specials. I think the Chakram is based on Mega Man's Metal Blades, since it too can go 8 directions, right? The Gale burst is from Link, etc.

Y'know, now that I think about it, the Mii Fighters are seeming alot less interesting than I initially thought... Blurgh...

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, but at the same time, it seems you can make the chakram stall in mid-air, so it is at least a little different. And we don't know that the gale strikes will behave the same as Link's boomerang.

I am actually totally ok with them being a giant Luigified clone if it means 3 characters' worth of development time didn't go into them XD And you can mix and match, so if they wanted to shove a bunch of semi-cloned moves into the game, this seems like the way to do it to me.

Not that this has anything to do with Takamaru. Maybe they'll have some/one of his sword attacks? Makes me feel slightly better about his chances, actually. I have come full circle! :p

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I got a bit too hyped about E3 so not felt like posting here a lot since. I haven't given up hope though. Not until all characters in Smash 4 has been revealed.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He doesn't necessarily need shirukens since only his foes canonically use them and Takamaru's Ninja Castle is non-canon. If anything, he'll only use the weapons he had used in the Famicom days like kunai and the Wind Blade anyway.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, on the upside, if Takamaru doesn't make the cut, we could probably reasonably create him using Miis and that'll be just as good, right? Right?!

Yes, until Sakurai eventually adds him and certain other characters as DLC. I can easily see Sakurai's team as the new Crapcom. :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
DLC... still not sure how I feel about all that.
Which is why almost every Smash fan I've run into disagrees with the idea in general. But we shouldn't veer TOO of topic for now since this is the wrong topic to discuss this. Then again, Capcom is to blame for making every gamer hate this concept.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don't think the Shuriken's are anybody's but the Mii's, since chakrams and gale strikes also seem to be theirs alone. Also, doesn't Takamaru use kunai?

This does make me a bit nervous, though :urg: Watch, of all the swordsmen with projectiles I would've loved to see - Takamaru, Isaac, Robin - Sakurai will go and only use the concept for the one "character" I absolutely did not want to see. And no, I don't want to make Takamaru/Isaac/Robin Miis, it's not the same, dagnabbit! :mad: [/huffs and puffs]
Word.

I'm not sinking so low as to make 1st/2nd party character Miis. It's just not the same.
3rd party however, I don't mind because those are impossible to get in anyway. :p
And I especially don't want to see a Katana wielder using a broadsword. It's just insulting. XD

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
A Mii dressed similar to Professor Layton? Sure.

A Mii that looks very little like Takamaru but is the best people can make? No thanks.
That's Sakurai for you, the man who crushes all hopes and dreams. Remember all the deconfirmations back in the April Direct?

Sure he wouldn't be too harsh on the traveling samurai and his legion of loyal supporters. That will be almost as controversial as the Ridley/K. Rool situation. :urg:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
FWIW, I'm 110% down for DLC since that gives me a generation long chance to see new blood in these games. Taka doesn't make disc release? OK, we'll wait for that delicious download code.

Previously, you were SoL after the last reveal went down.

Speculator

Smash Ace
I think it's too early to resign Takamaru to DLC. Even taking into account the remaining three Sal characters, we still don't have a retro revival and Sakurai's comments pre-E3 2013 would seem to suggest that we are getting one.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think it's too early to resign Takamaru to DLC. Even taking into account the remaining three Sal characters, we still don't have a retro revival and Sakurai's comments pre-E3 2013 would seem to suggest that we are getting one.
It might be a stretch, but I wonder if, in some strange ways, he considers those "old characters" to be Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mega Man.

Yes, they've had games recently, but you could say their movesets/stages have a lot of retro quirkyness to them. Mac, while being based on the Wii game, has the KO meter from the arcade games. Mega Man's whole moveset and sound design is completely based on his NES games. Then there's Pac-Man, who's using his classic design rather than the horrid modern Ghostly Adventures design, and his moveset is based on stuff from old Pac-Man games, as well as old various Namco games.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It might be a stretch, but I wonder if, in some strange ways, he considers those "old characters" to be Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mega Man.

Yes, they've had games recently, but you could say their movesets/stages have a lot of retro quirkyness to them. Mac, while being based on the Wii game, has the KO meter from the arcade games. Mega Man's whole moveset and sound design is completely based on his NES games. Then there's Pac-Man, who's using his classic design rather than the horrid modern Ghostly Adventures design, and his moveset is based on stuff from old Pac-Man games, as well as old various Namco games.
That is a factor we could think about considering the design choices of these characters so far. Pac Man using his classic design was quite the surprise since I least expected that design to be used. The last few might be stretch since they are also third parties as opposed to first parties. The Mac one you may be right on since he combines elements of both modern and classic Punch Out due to the appearance and attacks.

Good think there's still at least a few months left until we know the full roster before then since I can tell that the next leak might inform us of the last few secret newcomers.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai is listening to the fans, Luigi getting the Poltergeist, Pac-Man getting his World design, and DK finally getting his DKC roll attack. I think we will definitely see Takamaru at his classic appearance.
And oh god that thread title.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I really wish people would't jump to the conclusion that since one character does what another character is doing, it means that said character can't be playable.

Thats like saying Sheik deconfirms Greninja, Marth and Chrom, Mario and Luigi, Link and Toon Link, Its silly.

And doen't Takamaru also use magic?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And oh god that thread title.
Typical Xenoblae, being cynical and hilarious at the same time. :troll:

I really wish people would't jump to the conclusion that since one character does what another character is doing, it means that said character can't be playable.

Thats like saying Sheik deconfirms Greninja, Marth and Chrom, Mario and Luigi, Link and Toon Link, Its silly.

And doen't Takamaru also use magic?
Yes, elemental magic which explains how he's able to control fire in all of his appearances and somehow able to reflect electricity in Samurai Warriors 3.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
I don't like the lack of Takamaru I see in many people's rosters lately who are being based on the Sal leak. And many of those people are being overconfident on K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo appearing.

Reila

That is why I hate the Sal leak. It killed most of the fun about speculating. People do not realize Sal Romano didn't leak every newcomer in the game and take away any character that isn't Shulk, Chorus Kid and ****ing Chrom from their rosters. Lame. :|
I don't like the lack of Takamaru I see in many people's rosters lately who are being based on the Sal leak. And many of those people are being overconfident on K. Rool, Ridley and Mewtwo appearing.
I didn't see anyone being overconfident that those three characters will appear. No, actually, Mewtwo fans are a bit overconfident about it appearing, but I don't think that is valid for Ridley and K. Rool fans. What I see is people being extremely hopeful for them to appear, because should these character not be playable, the roster of Sm4sh will feel like Sakurai is giving the middle finger to a lot of us.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
*Sigh* I don't know what the shurikens mean in Takamaru's chances. They could have boosted them, or dealt a blow to them. Personally speaking, I'm kinda losing hope in the Samurai that I always wanted.

That is why I hate the Sal leak. It killed most of the fun about speculating. People do not realize Sal Romano didn't leak every newcomer in the game and take away any character that isn't Shulk, Chorus Kid and ****ing Chrom from their rosters. Lame. :|

I didn't see anyone being overconfident that those three characters will appear. No, actually, Mewtwo fans are a bit overconfident about it appearing, but I don't think that is valid for Ridley and K. Rool fans. What I see is people being extremely hopeful for them to appear, because should these character not be playable, the roster of Sm4sh will feel like Sakurai is giving the middle finger to a lot of us.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I wish the Gematsu leak had never happened.

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Sal is real, and non-believers are just jealous.

Bet: If a newcomer who isn't on Sal's list gets revealed, I'll have to make my avatar Zero Suit Pichu for a week.

Reila

Sal is real, and non-believers are just jealous.

Bet: If a newcomer who isn't on Sal's list gets revealed, I'll have to make my avatar Zero Suit Pichu for a week.

Also, no one here said Sal leak isn't real. Stop putting words on peoples... fingers.

Edit: Why I am trying to argue with someone usernamed "Delicious Tears" again?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom