• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There's a fair chance we could see him given the recent localization in Europe and that we're still waiting for it to come out in the States. Granted I think all the Fire Emblem reveals helps Chrom more than anyone, but I can see a trailer with Takamaru (or Shulk, to be fair) fighting Link/Marth/Ike in the Coliseum.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I like how Shokio said that the only think that made sense @3:21 is Takamaru. I wonder if he's a closet Takamaru supporter. :troll:

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Aye! I've been a supporter of Takamaru since the beginning, I really hope he makes it in.

And gets his series revived.

But let's not get too hopeful. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Inb4 Sakurai says that he's an assist trophy. :troll:

But yeah, I would be surprised if he's actually confirmed tomorrow. But I wouldn't bet on it too much like @Fatmanonice said.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'd like to see him this week. It'd definitely be a nice, unexpected reveal. Some veterans and maybe another Sal-leak character would be cool too. King K. Rool is better left until later.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I agree as long as he is not de-confirmed I'm going to expect him a release day secret character.
I don't mind being suprised though. :)
Sal did say something about post-release DLC before the E3 stream along with the same characters they've mentioned the last time. If he's not in the final roster, he can still make it as a downloadable fighter. But playing the waiting game (just like what we are doing for the Virtual Console game's US release) is the best thing to do for now.

andimidna

Smash Master
A retro newcomer seems to me to be the most obvious pick for a secret character. I don't think he'll be revealed, and if he's not, his chances won't be hurt.
After the Pac/G&W reveal, I think a historical retro has close to no chance.
Making a popular retro even more likely.
I'd bet on Takamaru playable (not as DLC, main game)

Blue Fang

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedIdol82
I've always rooted for Takamaru to be in the game, but it's very disappointing seeing no hints to his inclusion so far.
I want him in basically because of what this image represents:

It displays his relationship with Nintendo perfectly, and I feel like if more people understood that "Takamaru is to Link as Pit is to Samus" than he'd have even more supporters.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've always rooted for Takamaru to be in the game, but it's very disappointing seeing no hints to his inclusion so far.
I want him in basically because of what this image represents:

It displays his relationship with Nintendo perfectly, and I feel like if more people understood that "Takamaru is to Link as Pit is to Samus" than he'd have even more supporters.
Yeah, the "anti-swordsman brigade" and those Westerners that don't bother doing research are the only people against him. The worst part: Shulk, Chorus Men, and Chrom has a possibility of being the final newcomers since the new Sal leak only mentioned DLC and no other hidden character. But we'll see when a new leak is made before August's Nintendo Direct. At least he has a cult following in a form of these supporters like the few Japanese gamers that actually enjoyed that game in the past.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm legitimately want to know why you like the character. I'm not hating on him, because I myself like Bandana Dee and people give me s**t for it too. Why do you think this character should be in Smash Bros, and what uniqueness could he bring to the table, something that Greninja and Marth can not do. I'm genuinely curious, don't take it as hate. Try and convert me from indifferent to a supporter.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm legitimately want to know why you like the character. I'm not hating on him, because I myself like Bandana Dee and people give me s**t for it too. Why do you think this character should be in Smash Bros, and what uniqueness could he bring to the table, something that Greninja and Marth can not do. I'm genuinely curious, don't take it as hate. Try and convert me from indifferent to a supporter.
Unlike the other swordsman Takamaru is projectile heavy in his games giving him the ability for a very unique moveset.
Another thing to point out is that all swordsman to this date use European sword fighting arts.
Takamaru would be the first to show off a fully Japanese sword art.
There's also the potential that he will always have his sword sheathed using it only when needed.
He has also popped in recent games giving more and more recognition, the three obvious appearances being Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and, of course, Nintendo Land.
And last but not least he is a fantastic Retro Character much like Pit, less like Ice Climbers but still probably the best choice for a Retro Character at this point.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Unlike the other swordsman Takamaru is projectile heavy in his games giving him the ability for a very unique moveset.
Another thing to point out is that all swordsman to this date use European sword fighting arts.
Takamaru would be the first to show off a fully Japanese sword art.
There's also the potential that he will always have his sword sheathed using it only when needed
He has also popped in recent games giving more and more recognition the three obvious appearances being Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and, of course, Nintendo Land.
And last but not least he is a fantastic Retro Character much like Pit, less like Ice Climbers but still probably the best choice for a Retro Character at this point.
I'm just worried about the excessive amount of Blue Haired Swordsmen. However besides that he seems like a good character. Good luck to you guys.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm just worried about the excessive amount of Blue Haired Swordsmen. However besides that he seems like a good character. Good luck to you guys.
He actually represented quite often with Black hair not Blue.
Such as the official art for his game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'm not concerned with too many blue haired swordsmen. I'm concerned about too many blue haired swordsmen from the same franchise. Original much?

And NonSpecificGuy brings a valid point. Seeing as how Takamaru is projectile heavy, AND Takamaru's sword style is clearly the one that unsheathes the sword only when needed, he'll be very unique both in playstyle and visual style.

The differences in sword skills between japanese and european style are enormous. For starters, Takamaru could deliver softer blows with the sword's handle, the sheathe, or even the back side of the sword. He could kick, and jab, maybe even swing a kunai or a wakisashi (the shorter sword).

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Takamaru's hair style and overall style is so totally different from our other blue haired swordsmen, even if his hair could be depicted as a very dark blue, I think that's the pettiest of criticisms to make. It wouldn't even register as a similarity to me if nobody had pointed it out. I can sort of understand it with Chrom just because he looks so similar to Marth in general, but Takamaru... c'mon.

It seems like people are just particularly obsessed with the hair color of swordsmen XD There's Shulk vs Isaac, then our blue haired boys... I kinda feel like the only reason Roy is popular in spite of being a clone, which are traditionally hated, is because he's a redhead :p Also, Ike's hair has always struck me more as indigo. Just sayin'.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Takamaru's hair style and overall style is so totally different from our other blue haired swordsmen, even if his hair could be depicted as a very dark blue, I think that's the pettiest of criticisms to make. It wouldn't even register as a similarity to me if nobody had pointed it out. I can sort of understand it with Chrom just because he looks so similar to Marth in general, but Takamaru... c'mon.

It seems like people are just particularly obsessed with the hair color of swordsmen XD There's Shulk vs Isaac, then our blue haired boys... I kinda feel like the only reason Roy is popular in spite of being a clone, which are traditionally hated, is because he's a redhead :p Also, Ike's hair has always struck me more as indigo. Just sayin'.
I don't find it a big deal either I just figured I'd point out that he could have black hair if it was a problem which it isn't.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I think it'd be cool if it was black with a blue tint. But yeah, even if it was just dark blue, he'd still be easily discernible from Marth, Ike, and Chrom, on multiple levels. Anybody who's choosing their character based on hair color is being rather silly XD

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Crap I'm so ready to replay this game I played it once on an emulator but never completed it.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What really amazes me is that the game never got released on the Wii U's Virtual Console yet, not even in Japan at all. It might happen later this year when they start adding more GBA and DS titles in the lineup.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Any way possible, Because then we could see "Want to learn more about Takamaru? Visit the official site for The Mysterious Murasame Castle DX!"
I was hoping for an all new game from...
Well anyone at this point I don't care who makes the game as long as it's made.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A combination hack and slash/platformer would make an exqusite new title. Platform through castles, then switch to Hack-and-Slash to chop those aliens to bits!
I was kind of hoping for a darker Zelda-esque game.
Open world hack and slash with platforming elements.
What version of Takamaru do you prefer Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors, or Classic?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I was kind of hoping for a darker Zelda-esque game.
Open world hack and slash with platforming elements.
What version of Takamaru do you prefer Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors, or Classic?
Personally, I'd like to se them combine classic Takamaru with Samurai Warriors Takamaru. Keep the Captain Rainbow one as a trophy, like Burger-Consuming Mac.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Personally, I'd like to se them combine classic Takamaru with Samurai Warriors Takamaru. Keep the Captain Rainbow one as a trophy, like Burger-Consuming Mac.
You mean kind of like the one in my avatar or more manly?
I do think C. Rainbow Tak should stay a Trophy though.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
A tad more with the SW3 side. More colors if nothing else. But classic Takamaru would be legit too.
He has to keep the arm-guards no matter what though I think we could both agree on that.
By the way didn't you come up with a moveset for Takamaru?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom