• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
If Takamaru is reveal at e3, I imagine it would be pretty unceremonious. The trailer is rolling and then BAM! Takamaru! Rejoice! If he wasn't shown in the trailer, I would say that he would be revealed during the developer direct, but my money's on Miis being shown there.

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
I could see them revealing Takamaru, and then shamelessly releasing Murasame Castle to cash in on the hype.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Best trailer of any retro Nintendo game. If only it was a 3D Classic instead, but beggars can't be choosers.
I don't think it would correlate well as a 3D Classic.
Because unlike Kid Icarus there is no background just the world that you explore.
I wouldn't want to see Takamaru and the other bad guys popping out at me while all the rest of the world is flat.
I don't know maybe they could make it work but I like it just the way it is.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't think it would correlate well as a 3D Classic.
Because unlike Kid Icarus there is no background just the world that you explore.
I wouldn't want to see Takamaru and the other bad guys popping out at me while all the rest of the world is flat.
I don't know maybe they could make it work but I like it just the way it is.
You're right, the lack of a legit background is whatcould have made Nintendo change their mind about a 3D Classic adaption a while ago.

I'm wondering how many people would actually consider buying the game after seeing the trailer on YouTube. Or are they afraid that it might be too hard for them to handle. :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You're right, the lack of a legit background is whatcould have made Nintendo change their mind about a 3D Classic adaption a while ago.

I'm wondering how many people would actually consider buying the game after seeing the trailer on YouTube. Or are they afraid that it might be too hard for them to handle. :troll:
I think it's unique enough to get more then a few people excited.
It's pretty much Zelda with a more fun more challenging twist in the game-play.
It's no doubt going to be a little popular when it releases over here.
WHEN it releases over here.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Agreed- Mii is too casual. E3 is for the hardcore. Hit us up with them hardcore titles and characters, saaaaaaaahn.
Wii Fit is pretty casual and we got WFT at E3 last year. While I wouldn't be wholly surprised to see Miis, there are a number of reasons why I'm doubting their inclusion. If they do make it in, however, I think they'll either be left secret or revealed at E3.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't think Takamaru being shown off at E3 would be terribly unusual because, after all, maybe 5 people altogether actually knew who the Ice Climbers were at E3 2001 and who Pit was at E3 2006. Honestly though, I'm not expecting him at E3. Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk are at the top of my list of people who I expect to be shown when it comes to newcomers.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I don't think Takamaru being shown off at E3 would be terribly unusual because, after all, maybe 5 people altogether actually knew who the Ice Climbers were at E3 2001 and who Pit was at E3 2006. Honestly though, I'm not expecting him at E3. Palutena, Chrom, and Shulk are at the top of my list of people who I expect to be shown when it comes to newcomers.
The later part I honestly agree with since it more of a "let's wait and see" situation when it comes when he could actually be revealed or not. Either way, the 3DS version will be out first and we'll have to know the full roster or else certain reviewers (*cough* *cough* IGN *cough) might bash the game for having a small roster and holding off the others too soon.

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I dont think Takamaru will get his own reveal trailer sadly. If he is shown it will be in a new general trailer for Smash 4 with two other newcomers.

Or they will make a big sword newcomer vid with Chrom, Shulk and Takamaru. :troll:

Speculator

Smash Ace
I dont think Takamaru will get his own reveal trailer sadly. If he is shown it will be in a new general trailer for Smash 4 with two other newcomers.
I think all newcomers will have a CG trailer, secret or otherwise. For secret newcomers, the trailer can simply play in-game when you unlock the character.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think it was stated somewhere that all newcomers will indeed have a trailer?

Anyway, I personally feel there's something about Takamaru that says "E3-material". Hehe, that might just be me, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was shown off there. He's obscure to some, but I think that raises his charm. There are so many options for E3-reveals though... but I could see Takamaru being one of them. Not long till we see!

Oh, and I just love Mysterious Murasame Castle which I downloaded from the eShop. It's a bit difficult at times but I like a good challenge. The music rocks too haha!

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I think all newcomers will have a CG trailer, secret or otherwise. For secret newcomers, the trailer can simply play in-game when you unlock the character.
Well, Villager didnt have one so this will never be the case.

Nothing would hype me more than a Takamaru exclusive cg trailer at E3 though. Well, of course if we also get a confirmation about a new Murasame Castle game. :)

Oh, and I just love Mysterious Murasame Castle which I downloaded from the eShop. It's a bit difficult at times but I like a good challenge. The music rocks too haha!
Good to hear that you are enjoying it! It really is a hidden gem.

As i have said previously it has two of my favourite game tracks ever which is impressive since the game only has like 10 tracks.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I think it was stated somewhere that all newcomers will indeed have a trailer?

Anyway, I personally feel there's something about Takamaru that says "E3-material".
Well... he's a Samurai... and people like Samurai.

If Takamaru is going to be our retro rep, we can have East (Taka) VS. West (Little Mac) matches! :awesome:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Well, Villager didnt have one so this will never be the case.

Nothing would hype me more than a Takamaru exclusive cg trailer at E3 though. Well, of course if we also get a confirmation about a new Murasame Castle game. :)

Good to hear that you are enjoying it! It really is a hidden gem.

As i have said previously it has two of my favourite game tracks ever which is impressive since the game only has like 10 tracks.
Technically Villager's reveal trailer was just a tie-in with the first trailer. If you go to his page on Smashbros.com, that's the video that's linked.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Villager's was the announcement trailer. It has CG scenes of his receiving the invitation and his title card.
And if I'm not mistaken isn't it on his character page on the official website.
Either way I agree i think all characters will have a cg trailer maybe in-game (you stole my idea :p)
I mean all of the ones that have been done have been done incredibly well.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

Or they will make a big sword newcomer vid with Chrom, Shulk and Takamaru. :troll:
Swords, swords, everywhere!

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Some discussion fuel: what do you think of the fact that Mysterious Murasame Castle was absent from NES Remix 1+2? Is Nintendo holding the series for a revival? Or maybe they just didn't want to include a game that was never released in the West, despite Nintendo Land?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Some discussion fuel: what do you think of the fact that Mysterious Murasame Castle was absent from NES Remix 1+2? Is Nintendo holding the series for a revival? Or maybe they just didn't want to include a game that was never released in the West, despite Nintendo Land?
I'd say it has more to to do with the game's obscurity internationally (even in Japan) and lack of ideas of what to do for it in NES Remix. Though the later could also be true since many Western gamers would be confused and the game would only be considered nostalgic to Japanese fans.

I would bet on the former IF there are even more hints on the situation beforehand. Though, we are in the dark about what Nintendo plans on doing with the series, even after it was referenced in Nintendo Land.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, I think it's mostly due to obscurity, since it's finally released in Europe and potentially America, we could get an NES Remix 3 with Nazo no Muramase Jou as a remixed title. And potentially Shin Onigashima.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, I think it's mostly due to obscurity, since it's finally released in Europe and potentially America, we could get an NES Remix 3 with Nazo no Muramase Jou as a remixed title. And potentially Shin Onigashima.
NES Remix 3: Obscure Edition featuring the lost titles like Nazo no Murasame-Jo, Doki Doki Panic, Shin Onigashima, Joy Mech Fight, and Famicom Tantei Club. Literally the best idea of a sequel ever! :troll:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
NES Remix 3: Obscure Edition featuring the lost titles like Nazo no Murasame-Jo, Doki Doki Panic, Shin Onigashima, Joy Mech Fight, and Famicom Tantei Club. Literally the best idea of a sequel ever! :troll:
You have to put Startropics in there you know for that obscure western known game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You have to put Startropics in there you know for that obscure western known game.
I was totally (not) surprised for the lack of StarTropics in NES Remix games. :p
But I like the idea of a NES Remix 3 with obscure games in it.

Totally unrelated question (but related to the thread) How old is Takamaru?

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
...That's a good question... I'm not sure I have a good answer for it. I assume he's at least above 20 years old. If I had to be specific I'd say...um...23? I don't know.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was totally (not) surprised for the lack of StarTropics in NES Remix games. :p
But I like the idea of a NES Remix 3 with obscure games in it.

His age is unknown but it's safe to imply that he's middle aged based on his appearance and voice in Samurai Warriors 3.

Last edited:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Middle aged seems rather old to me - it's not like he's got any salt-and-pepper in that hair or anything XD And it could probably be argued that anything about him from Samurai Warriors 3 isn't truly canon. I'd imagine he's in his early 20s based on the artwork for Murasame Castle. But that's just a complete guess, and I could be dead wrong XD

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I would have guessed that he was around 17-18ish which is the ideal shonen hero age anyway. But I guess his true age should be the one that's mentioned here (if it's mentioned at all).

BTW, that movie.. is it any good? Is it even a movie? :D

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well I would have guessed that he was around 17-18ish which is the ideal shonen hero age anyway. But I guess his true age should be the one that's mentioned here (if it's mentioned at all).

BTW, that movie.. is it any good? Is it even a movie? :D
That is a TV drama and you have order the DVD to see. It's rather cheesy since he had to help some schoolgirl solve the mystery of Murasame Castle. Ironically, Nazo no Murasame-Jo's original release was delayed since the TV Drama was rescheduled due to copyrights. If the later didn't happen, then the game wouldn't have flopped at the time.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I bet he is 1500 years old, but just looks very young, like those lolis in some modern RPGs. :troll:

Seriously though, in the original artwork I would say he was 15~18 at most, but in Samurai Warriors he looks much older. 25 maybe?

Chauzu

Smash Ace
He is younger than me at least, considering how my hair is getting grey with all this anticipation ahead of E3. Time plz move quickly plz.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He is younger than me at least, considering how my hair is getting grey with all this anticipation ahead of E3. Time plz move quickly plz.
Patience my friend, there are 2 days of until our swords are feature length like Takamaru's katana. :troll:

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Woah, is it getting hot in here or is it just me? *fans self*

Anyways, even if Takamaru is in Smash, what do you guys think the likelihood of him being shown off at E3 and not just being a secret unlockable is?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Anyways, even if Takamaru is in Smash, what do you guys think the likelihood of him being shown off at E3 and not just being a secret unlockable is?
I'd say his chances for being revealedat E3 are relatively low (20%) since we don't really know what Sakurai's team plans on doing with him. Unless they really enjoyed Samurai Warriors 3 or at least had a few runs on Nintendo Land.

There's a rather small chance that they at least know what happened with Nazo no Mursame-Jo's recent localization, though it's slightly late.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
If Takamaru is in, then I'm sure they already knew the localization was coming before it happened - really, that's probably why it happened.

I could see it going either way for him at E3. It would get an obscure retro character out of the way so people wouldn't be so confused when unlocking him in the game, and also be a nice surprise for the Japanese audience. But then, Sakurai didn't really care about that first point in Brawl concerning ROB, so who knows. Probably just depends on whether he's actually got a reboot planned or not.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

As awesome as it would be to have him revealed in E3, I feel he's too much of a Japanese icon. And I have a feeling Sakurai wants to get the most popular faces out to the public first. And sneak in more obscurer choices as unlockables.
I mean, last E3 there was Villager (very popular wordlwide), Megaman (very popular with gamers wordlwide), and Wii Fit Trainer (nobody saw her coming, but people knew EXACTLY who she was).

But he did promise a trailer for ALL Newcomers, so a least we know we're getting that much from Takamaru if he's in. :D
And I hope he's announced at E3 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom