• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Officially Sponsors Apex 2015!

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I hope I'm not the only one, particularly in the project M community, that hopes nintendo never again involves itself with the competitive community. We are better off without them, they fundamentally fail to understand the tournament scene and suppress it. Those with short memories may celebrate nintendo's involvement but I assert they do not care about the community based upon their past and current actions and it is unlikely they ever will.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I hope I'm not the only one, particularly in the project M community, that hopes nintendo never again involves itself with the competitive community. We are better off without them, they fundamentally fail to understand the tournament scene and suppress it. Those with short memories may celebrate nintendo's involvement but I assert they do not care about the community based upon their past and current actions and it is unlikely they ever will.
Meanwhile PMDT makes a game that completely caters to our wants and needs. They have Link pull out an Ocarina for a taunt. Can there be any more fan love then that?

Strofirko

Smash Master
Community should be considered the simple being who boots up, picks up a controller,and plays the game,it isn't any hard math.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Vigilante Vigilante Sup.

I'm taking the wait and see approach. As far as NoA is concerned, their Treehouse have been incredibly diplomatic despite not knowing much about competitive gaming or having much experience in PR stunts. The best way to improve is to test those limits, so let's go, baby.

aethermaster

Smash Ace
NNID
Aethermaster
3DS FC
2552-2699-1664
How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.
Go back to Twitch chat fool

The developers and company supporting their product and community is always a good thing. Would you rather have them try to take the stream down again? RIP PM, though I can't say I'm really surprised since it's a mod...

☫Champ*ion

Smash Rookie
LOL 10 entries for killer instinct.
It's also kind of sad that smash 64 has more entries then brawl. Although brawl is not as competitive as melee, watch some combo videos and then you will know what I mean. Brawl has a future (Although PM is better).

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
The problem here is that Project M is getting dismissed.
Project M is in a grey area. It's doubtful that Nintendo would sponsor something that includes a mod of one of their games due to that.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
Geez only 10 KI players. -.-
And woo! Theres nearly half as many smash 4 players as melee's amounts of players. That is awesome.

MM720

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM720
3DS FC
0259-0380-4806
Toph vs Bill Trinen and Hbox vs Reggie MM pls

Salty Suite hype XD

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Give it some time and you'll realize that you're being used by Nintendo. I thought this was clear already.

Nintendo doesn't give a crap about us. It's a publicity stunt, no more, no less.
That's not an entirely bad thing, if it turns out that they don't really care, then they will probably stop supporting by next year and Project M can be at apex next year, and more hype can be made

Lozzy

Smash Rookie
NNID
eey_b0ss
3DS FC
3539-9024-8068
inb4 only FD/Omega Form stages are legal

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Sheesh, there's so much Salt in these forums, that the website may become diabetic. Any ways I just wanted post something that I posted sometime ago that should be at leasted looked into a bit more:

After my mistaken first step in this area of the forums, I want to make it up by actually posting something on my mind that's both beneficial and relevant to hopefully anyone who reads this.

Anyways here it is:
It has come to my attention along with many others, that the current state of the Project M community as a whole is fragmented. After recent exclusions from many popular and major competitive events, the release of smash 4, and growing concerns that Project M will become "underground" or "irrelevant", I at least want to contribute my 2-cents to this concern.

To those unaware, this community has been in a similar state in the past when Project M first became a "major" thing. The audiences of both Melee and Project M have been at each others teeth before but as we've all seen they've merged and become one giant community that has a bit of a temper as the whole fiasco of "Takedownmods" has shown.

History is in the progress of repeating again with Smash 4 added into the mix. People are fearful for this mods' future and some have even said that Smash 4 is "better" than Project M. However IMHO, Melee, Project M, and Smash 4 are all great games and all 3 have their flaws. The competitive scene to a newcomer of Melee/Project M may seem very intimidating to many and it is true. Going against a "pro" in these two games is a very daunting task without being utterly "humiliated" in the process. But you don't necessarily have to train "in the mountains under a follower of M2K" to grasp the various advanced techs. Smash 4 on the other hand has a very "inviting" competitive scene with a constantly evolving competitive meta-game as shown with perfect-pivoting. But one who can't use those super advanced techs in the Melee/PM meta-game can still have fun in both Melee and PM.

Now after these recent turn of events, the two fan bases' are currently at each others' teeth like they're at war or something, though currently the tensions are waning. But we can get along and become an even bigger community (or even a "Smash Family" if you want to call it that), we just need to accept Smash 4 into the current community and get used to Project M's temporary exclusion from "big" events like CEO as I think after the hype for Smash 4 dies down for a while, we can have Smash 4, Melee, and Project M present all at the same time at one event. But for now we can only deal with what's currently going on and accept it the way it is. (And of course discuss it in a friendly manner)

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
This is neat. Way to go, Big N!

*Sakurai won't be attending because 'Smash 4 has no competitive future"*
it was mistranslated he said that if he made Smash only for the hardcore competitive then Smash would have no future and he said that he thinks Smash isn't made for the competitive scene and there are better games for that though he feels people should play it how they like.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
it was mistranslated he said that if he made Smash only for the hardcore competitive then Smash would have no future and he said that he thinks Smash isn't made for the competitive scene and there are better games for that though he feels people should play it how they like.
(I'm aware what he said - this was a jab at it. A joke. Nothing more.)

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I don't sympathize at all.

Yes it is wrong but Melee and PM have done far worse to Brawl and Smash 4 players.
Remember,that it is not the games themselves that cause the problems.It is the players,and not all of them do that,fortunately.But sadly those few are drowned in a sea of spite.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Never thought I'd see the day when Nintendo would sponsor a community led event. Great to see the support.

"Crosses fingers for Reggie to enter and deliver his promise of kicking ***."

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
looool This thread KILLS me

Long-time Smash players know how big this sponsorship is. We have been practically *begging* Nintendo to notice us and involve itself in our scene for years and years. They finally answer us (and in the best way possible) and now it's not a good thing because Apex isn't going to have a mod that was borne from pure, unfiltered spite and hate towards one of their products. You guys are kidding yourselves. If Nintendo so desires, Project M could be effectively gone tomorrow, so count the fact that Team DAE Melee? XD continues to be able to work on the project at all as a blessing.

If you're surprised it won't be on the big stage on Nintendo's dime, then I don't know what to tell you. It's totally understandable to be a little disappointed, but let's get real: Nintendo sponsorship and recognition has been goal ZERO for this community for something like ten years, and keeping a poorly-balanced ez-cheez version of Melee around isn't worth losing that. If you want to play Melee at Apex then just play Melee.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
looool This thread KILLS me

Long-time Smash players know how big this sponsorship is. We have been practically *begging* Nintendo to notice us and involve itself in our scene for years and years. They finally answer us (and in the best way possible) and now it's not a good thing because Apex isn't going to have a mod that was borne from pure, unfiltered spite and hate towards one of their products. You guys are kidding yourselves. If Nintendo so desires, Project M could be effectively gone tomorrow, so count the fact that Team DAE Melee? XD continues to be able to work on the project at all as a blessing.

If you're surprised it won't be on the big stage on Nintendo's dime, then I don't know what to tell you. It's totally understandable to be a little disappointed, but let's get real: Nintendo sponsorship and recognition has been goal ZERO for this community for something like ten years, and keeping a poorly-balanced ez-cheez version of Melee around isn't worth losing that. If you want to play Melee at Apex then just play Melee.
Two things:
1.It's great you all have gotten what you wanted.I'm happy for you.
But if I had been involved in the community longer to have a chance to develop an opinion I can assure you I wouldn't care if Nintendo were involved in competitive Smash.I don't even see the reason to want them to other than know you are recognized by them.

2.If you think P:M is 'just Melee',I don't even know what to say to you.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
It's just melee
No, no it isn't. The devs have put so much love and care into adding tons and tons of amazing things: a rebalanced roster, new mechanics and techniques, redesigned stages, beautiful costumes, and brand new game modes. There is far, far, far, far, far, far more to it than "just Melee". You don't have to be a fan, but please don't belittle their hard work like that.

Also, regarding how "we" wanted acknowledgement from Nintendo, I don't know who "we" is supposed to be but I sure as hell never cared about any of that. I'm perfectly happy with a grassroots scene that's by and for the community. And I don't want any "acknowledgement" that ends up coming at the cost of part of the community. Speak for yourself, but don't act like you speak for everyone.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
No, no it isn't. The devs have put so much love and care into adding tons and tons of amazing things: a rebalanced roster, new mechanics and techniques, redesigned stages, beautiful costumes, and brand new game modes. There is far, far, far, far, far, far more to it than "just Melee". You don't have to be a fan, but please don't belittle their hard work like that.

Also, regarding how "we" wanted acknowledgement from Nintendo, I don't know who "we" is supposed to be but I sure as hell never cared about any of that. I'm perfectly happy with a grassroots scene that's by and for the community. And I don't want any "acknowledgement" that ends up coming at the cost of part of the community. Speak for yourself, but don't act like you speak for everyone.
I agree.I don't see the value in being sponsored by Nintendo other than their own satisfaction.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
I honestly believe the reason they took out project m was they were scared that it would get more entries than smash 4 and brawl put together.

D

Deleted member

How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.
I am currently laughing at you.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I honestly believe the reason they took out project m was they were scared that it would get more entries than smash 4 and brawl put together.
You really think that is why?

The project the tree house said they liked and we're interested in but said they couldn't support it.

I think you are wrong here good sir.

Djsoundwaves108

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DeathJams108
3DS FC
0645-6246-3667
Just like how at Evo they couldn't simply wish Melee players good luck without having Reggie give that Smash 4 a shout out in that little clip of his.

We all know they're not doing it for our support, but for their own promotion and gain. I still don't feel cool with this sudden "support" from Nintendo and I probably never will.
Well your just going to have to get over it

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Brawl has a future (Although PM is better).
I seriously doubt Brawl has a competitive future. This tournament was supposed to be Brawl's last hurrah, and it has a very low number of entrants.

On the flip side, good stuff to the Smash 64 scene, I love you guys.

Ultra_

Smash Rookie
I don't want your support anymore Nintendo!

Last edited:

SuperDS64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDS64
3DS FC
1676-3810-3884
Ha, Nintendo you sly Duck Hunt Dog. Why create tournies when 15 other events do it for you. All you needed to do was give some cash and slap your name on it. At least you acknowledge the comp scene.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
Pokemon has more entrants than the other fighting games, and it's not even a fighting game. Brawl has more than the other fighting games, and we all know how that game turned out. Smash Bros. (Cross) Pokemon confirmed by Namco Bandai and Nintendo and GameFreak.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't sympathize at all.

Yes it is wrong but Melee and PM have done far worse to Brawl and Smash 4 players.
Again, you are blinded by anger. The argument is not "who is doing it more" but whether it is right to do it at all.

Two wrongs do not make a right. Besides, the Melee and PM community has recieved a lot of **** from the Brawl community. It's not a one way street you try to make it out to be. The victim act is getting old. You're a backroomer, someone who is supposed to represent part of the smash community. Don't be part of the problem..

Last edited:
Top Bottom