• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Officially Sponsors Apex 2015!

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Well let's all hope somehow Smash 4 gets some tweaks and characters get buffed and nerfed because how what gets seen.
A balance patch will most likely come out when Mewtwo is released along side the Miiverse stage and the tournament mode

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
He also stated that people should play the way they want to play despite his opinions and that line was translated wrong. He said if he directed a Smash game only for the hardcore competitive community it would have no future not that it has no future

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Apex shouldn't be putting Nintendo ahead of the community. We've been independent for over a decade. We didn't need them then and we don't need them now. Is having Nintendo's name attached really worth screwing over a large segment of the community?

Besides, this isn't going to last. They're only here to market their new game, and anyone who think otherwise is kidding themselves. Once sales taper off they'll leave and go focus on marketing other upcoming titles.

D

Deleted member

guys this is the first time that nintendo has given a **** about its fanbase in like 25 years. we can let PM go, step back and look at the bigger picture

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
We pushed long enough to get to this point. We've ignored all the criticism just to get the games we love on the big stage!!! We've come a LOOOONNNGGG way. :)

D

Deleted member

is this like, a THING?
Yep, as sad as it sounds, it's real. They're blaming it on high taxes it seems.

Anyways, it's good to see Nintendo sponsoring a tourney, but at the same time it's bad for those who prefer playing PM. I feel bad for those players.

Spazicle

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spazicle
Wow, even Brawl has more participants than any other fighting game. Just goes to show how popular Smash Bros is.

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
It is sad to see people trying to rub the salt on PM players wounds. I'm not hyped for apex but it should be great.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
This explains Project M's absence from this year's Apex.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Congratulations guys, all of you at smashboards and the pro players! Long time in coming, you've all worked towards it. Official recognition. Really good show.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Yep, as sad as it sounds, it's real. They're blaming it on high taxes it seems.

Anyways, it's good to see Nintendo sponsoring a tourney, but at the same time it's bad for those who prefer playing PM. I feel bad for those players.
I mean, I don't blame them.

Mario Galaxy costs liek 100 dollars there.

Though I DO think its cool Nintendo is sponsoring this. I also love how every other fighting game is below even Brawl in number of participants xD

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.
Haha you sound like a villain. Doesn't Nintendo need money to make games? I believe they even needed it to make Melee back in the day. A lot of those casuals you speak of use their money so that we can have more games. Why can't you let people be happy? Usually when I see other people in my community happy it makes me happy.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Are we going to get more Mario Kart 8 commercials in between matches and a PSA from Reggienator?

What if Reggie was planning this all along to enter and win Smash Wii U Apex 2015?

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Apex shouldn't be putting Nintendo ahead of the community. We've been independent for over a decade. We didn't need them then and we don't need them now. Is having Nintendo's name attached really worth screwing over a large segment of the community?

Besides, this isn't going to last. They're only here to market their new game, and anyone who think otherwise is kidding themselves. Once sales taper off they'll leave and go focus on marketing other upcoming titles.
i semi-agree. i do like the fact that nintendo is sponsoring a big major tournament for the community, but as you mentioned, it's mostly for marketing purposes, which i agree. I'm not hyped about this by any means since we already predicted this since they announced PM wasn't going to be at Apex. However, i'm curious if nintendo plans to make an announcement since they're sponsoring, but if i had to guess, it's a mewtwo trailer.

P.S. PM is NOT going to die!

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Why does nintendo always have to screw over competitive smash. First it was melee now project m. And if you think they really care about competitive smash by sponsoring just look what they did back in evo 2013, this is just to promote smash 4 and make more money, nothing more.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
If Nintendo's plan was to destroy Project M, they could have simply issued a cease and desist years ago. Of course they're going to support their own games over a fan made mod. People really need to stop acting like Nintendo's goal is to destroy the competitive community when it's clear that there are supporters of all four official games. Does this isolate the Project M community? Yes, but Nintendo's been super generous up to this point when they could have easily (and legally) squashed the project at any time. Project M isn't going anywhere but you're nuts if you think Nintendo was going to officially sponsor a game that was largely made because a portion of the community hated how Brawl turned out.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
-Best case scenario: Nintendo shows DLC for Smash 4 trailer in APEX for promotion.

-2nd best case scenario: Reggie and/or Sakurai appear on stage to show some mad skillz.

-Worst case: Nothing interesting happens. We get only Diddy and Sheik at the top 8 of Smash 4. People never shut up about Project M.

In the end, APEX is bound to give us some awesome plays from all the Smash Bros. Truly an event that deserves our hype.

P.S. I don't understand how is that the other fighting games have so little attendance compared to Smash.Do other FGCs not care about APEX?.

Bighands-Senpai

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2380-4982-0219
How can you be hype over this?

I swear the people hype about this are the same kind of people that enjoy smash 4. It's sad. Literally took out the second hypest thing of the whole event just so Nintendo could sponsor it. Which brings exactly nothing, because time and time again they embrace casuals more than the competitive play. They just saw a relatively big community in you which they can make money off.

****s sake are you people stupid.
too much salt is bad for your health m8

D

Deleted member

I mean, I don't blame them.

Mario Galaxy costs liek 100 dollars there.

Though I DO think its cool Nintendo is sponsoring this. I also love how every other fighting game is below even Brawl in number of participants xD
Agreed x9000. Lol that's true. Killer Instinct has like 10, which is the lowest amount of participants in this year's Apex. So Brawl got lucky it seems.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
If Nintendo's plan was to destroy Project M, they could have simply issued a cease and desist years ago. Of course they're going to support their own games over a fan made mod. People really need to stop acting like Nintendo's goal is to destroy the competitive community when it's clear that there are supporters of all four official games. Does this isolate the Project M community? Yes, but Nintendo's been super generous up to this point when they could have easily (and legally) squashed the project at any time. Project M isn't going anywhere but you're nuts if you think Nintendo was going to officially sponsor a game that was largely made because a portion of the community hated how Brawl turned out.
You said nintendo supports all their official games. Back in evo 2013 they tried to shut down melee at evo. It's pretty clear they hated the competitive scene of smash, but now that they realized they can profit off of it, so they started "supporting" it and basically told melee players to move on to smash 4. Can't believe nintendo tried to kill competitive melee by making brawl, attempting to shut down melee at evo 2013 after it revival and now supporting it because they can make money off of it, truly disgusting.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Give it some time and you'll realize that you're being used by Nintendo. I thought this was clear already.

Nintendo doesn't give a crap about us. It's a publicity stunt, no more, no less.

IvyDivyHorkyDorky

Smash Rookie
Give it some time and you'll realize that you're being used by Nintendo. I thought this was clear already.

Nintendo doesn't give a crap about us. It's a publicity stunt, no more, no less.
Does Nintendo run on charity or something? The success of a game (let alone franchise) does not end with simply producing the product, you also have to promote it. How would this be different than what any other company does, what am I missing here haha?

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You know what Salty Suite really needs?

Reggie vs Hungrybox money match:

Last edited:

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA
If Nintendo backs Smash like Blizzard backs Starcraft? I'd be so happy.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Looking at the comments, sometimes I'm embarrassed to call myself a member of the Smash community.

Good job for Nintendo though.

BestTeaMaker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BestTeaMaker
3DS FC
0345-0407-6977
Geez, with all these negative comments, you'd think Nintendo was Nazi Germany or something.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
P.S. I don't understand how is that the other fighting games have so little attendance compared to Smash.Do other FGCs not care about APEX?.
Apex is our main event, Evo is theirs. To them Apex is just one of many regionals.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You said nintendo supports all their official games. Back in evo 2013 they tried to shut down melee at evo. It's pretty clear they hated the competitive scene of smash, but now that they realized they can profit off of it, so they started "supporting" it and basically told melee players to move on to smash 4. Can't believe nintendo tried to kill competitive melee by making brawl, attempting to shut down melee at evo 2013 after it revival and now supporting it because they can make money off of it, truly disgusting.
Yes, I remember that but you forget that Nintendo reversed its decision about Evo 2013 after complaints poured into them about it. You also have to remember that, at the end of the day, Nintendo is a company so why wouldn't they want to make money off a game THEY MADE? Yes, this is a marketing decision but, at the same time, it's a marketing decision focused on a small portion of the people who actually buy the Smash games. That's pretty significant. The games sell millions of copies and yet the players who regularly attend major tournaments for years around the world probably only totals up to a few thousand (especially true for a game like Melee that's now 13 years old). Honestly, with Nintendo largely acting like the competitive community did nothing but whine during the Brawl years, the way they've acted since 2013 has been a great change of pace.

Narpas_sword

Interesting.

No one worried that having Nintendo at Apex will mean they want more focus on their NEW game? not the others?

I just cant see PM being dropped as the only thing to change.
Perhaps not this year, but if it continues, there may be pressure for a higher focus on smash 4.

Just a thought.

Top Bottom