• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Officially Sponsors Apex 2015!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Looking at the comments, sometimes I'm embarrassed to call myself a member of the Smash community.

Good job for Nintendo though.

To be fair, the Smash community isn't really much of a thing anymore. At the last VGBC stream I watched, Smash 4 players wouldn't stop harassing Project M viewers. It made it evident to me that there is no longer this thing we call a smash community, only divided, segregated communities. Nintendo is responsible for creating this situation in the first place however.

Chavelo

Smash Rookie
Do you... you do not get how a business works?

Companies never sponsor stuff out their good hearts. If that was the case, they would of donated money, anonymously, in some way to help the pot bonus. No, companies sponsor events because it is the smart thing to do for business. You help your fanbase, they help you out. Simple as that. Nintendo sponsoring Apex helps both parties. You guys make Nintendo sound like they have some evil, cash greedy motive to help Apex. Well, of course! THAT'S WHY IT IS CALLED SPONSORSHIP. You sponsor someone, they help you out by putting your product out there.

Also, take a step back, please, and realize why they can't help Project M out...

They didn't make the damn product. Someone else did. They can't support it. They're not cool with giving it more exposure. There's no money in it for them! I mean, it sucks, I know. But they are not legally allowed to do so without getting permissions from other companies since they're borrowed their IPs. And honestly, why the **** would they?

You guys can ***** and moan on how Project M is getting the shaft or how Nintendo came out of nowhere to be greedy and feed off the community, but you need to realize that there is an actual, real world out there, full of yellow tape and rules you need to follow, and not everything is possible because people look out for themselves.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Great,just when I find the best Smash ( Project M ) and the one I can really get competitive with,and when just in a few years I might ACTUALLY be able to go to tournaments,Nintendo comes out and sponsors one of the biggest tournaments and thus gives P:M the boot from said tournament.

Life is messed up dudes

Last edited:

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Why do they even bother with running all these other non-Smash fighting games? Not even trying to sound like a douche but like, it really doesn't seem like too many people seem to care. Seems like a lot of work that kinda just goes towards nothing.

AbbiDood

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShadyLion
Why? We've done fine without Nintendo for years, so why should we suddenly accept their "support" at the cost of a game loved by so many in the community?
Just becouse we have done fine doesn't mean we can't do better. Sure, PM is great and all, and I would've loved to see people go ham as Ganon in that game, but I can definitly understand why the APEX team decided to go this route. If we want to get to that #esports kind of level, getting help by the official developers of our game(s) is obviously just going to help.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
I'm not negative because this exposure for Melee is wonderful.

I am disappointed that P:M is getting booted from a national stage and into the underground, especially considering how much support it has earned over the years.

Nintendo, after winning more national tournament support, COULD shut down P:M because they'd have the influence to do it. The most common scenario I see is P:M losing popularity and resorting to small locals, which is unfortunate.

But like I said, no hate. There is still good news to be had.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The smash community these days: "So long as I'm happy, screw everyone else"

Isn't that what we keep calling casual elitist smashers out on?

Last edited:

River Shoetailor

Smash Cadet
Yes, I remember that but you forget that Nintendo reversed its decision about Evo 2013 after complaints poured into them about it. You also have to remember that, at the end of the day, Nintendo is a company so why wouldn't they want to make money off a game THEY MADE? Yes, this is a marketing decision but, at the same time, it's a marketing decision focused on a small portion of the people who actually buy the Smash games. That's pretty significant. The games sell millions of copies and yet the players who regularly attend major tournaments for years around the world probably only totals up to a few thousand (especially true for a game like Melee that's now 13 years old). Honestly, with Nintendo largely acting like the competitive community did nothing but whine during the Brawl years, the way they've acted since 2013 has been a great change of pace.
Nintendo now understands that if they take such firm action on something they don't like that they'll have a mob of upset players/customers to deal with. The decision to deal with something they do not like in a much more passive manner such as this will prove to be way more effective. I believe they very much hate the presence of PM in any format, but they've learned from their mistake at EVO 2013 and will be using much different means of dealing with this community.

This kind of sponsorship HARDLY impacts only players/owners of smash as well. How many friends and family members have you told about smash brothers? How many will you tell about this huge Nintendo sponsored tournament? How many people who haven't bought this game are going to watch this event and get hyped alongside thousands of others and go out and buy the game after being a bit hesitant before?

I'm sure Nintendo sees this as an opportunity to both promote their products and snuff out the 'competition.'

Regardless, good luck to everyone going to Apex, show Nintendo that we're pretty cool fans and would love more than just monetary support for our community! (Master Head/Shoulders/Knees/Toes DLC anyone?)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To be fair, the Smash community isn't really much of a thing anymore. At the last VGBC stream I watched, Smash 4 players wouldn't stop harassing Project M viewers. It made it evident to me that there is no longer this thing we call a smash community, only divided, segregated communities. Nintendo is responsible for creating this situation in the first place however.
>Implying the Smash Community wasn't heavily divided before SSB4.

I've been here since 2006 and the Smash Community has always been divided on a lot of fronts: the games, casual/competitive, pro/anti Sakurai, pro/anti mods, etc. This is hardly anything new.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Nintendo now understands that if they take such firm action on something they don't like that they'll have a mob of upset players/customers to deal with. The decision to deal with something they do not like in a much more passive manner such as this will prove to be way more effective. I believe they very much hate the presence of PM in any format, but they've learned from their mistake at EVO 2013 and will be using much different means of dealing with this community.

This kind of sponsorship HARDLY impacts only players/owners of smash as well. How many friends and family members have you told about smash brothers? How many will you tell about this huge Nintendo sponsored tournament? How many people who haven't bought this game are going to watch this event and get hyped alongside thousands of others and go out and buy the game after being a bit hesitant before?

I'm sure Nintendo sees this as an opportunity to both promote their products and snuff out the 'competition.'

Regardless, good luck to everyone going to Apex, show Nintendo that we're pretty cool fans and would love more than just monetary support for our community! (Master Head/Shoulders/Knees/Toes DLC anyone?)
True,but I'd wish they'd just come out and say they don't like P:M if so.
If you're going to call someone out,do so openly please,don't just pretend like it didn't happen.

But that's just me.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
>Implying the Smash Community wasn't heavily divided before SSB4.

I've been here since 2006 and the Smash Community has always been divided on a lot of fronts: the games, casual/competitive, pro/anti Sakurai, pro/anti mods, etc. This is hardly anything new.

It was divided mostly since the release of Brawl to be exact. Again, Nintendo's fault.

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Yes, I remember that but you forget that Nintendo reversed its decision about Evo 2013 after complaints poured into them about it. You also have to remember that, at the end of the day, Nintendo is a company so why wouldn't they want to make money off a game THEY MADE? Yes, this is a marketing decision but, at the same time, it's a marketing decision focused on a small portion of the people who actually buy the Smash games. That's pretty significant. The games sell millions of copies and yet the players who regularly attend major tournaments for years around the world probably only totals up to a few thousand (especially true for a game like Melee that's now 13 years old). Honestly, with Nintendo largely acting like the competitive community did nothing but whine during the Brawl years, the way they've acted since 2013 has been a great change of pace.
nintendo backed out on their decision back in 2013 because they have a reputation to protect and the amount of complains were so massive, there's no way to describe it, people who didn't even play melee were complaining about it. Tons of people play melee most of them don't go to the major tournoments because of the location, or feel like they aren't good enough to compete with the best, only the best go to major tournoments. Just look at the views melee had back at evo 2014, it was the second most viewed event. Even if nintendo is "supporting" competitive smash in the end its all about the money and they will abandon it, and project m is going to suffer for it just when it started becoming big.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
True,but I'd wish they'd just come out and say they don't like P:M if so.
If you're going to call someone out,do so openly please,don't just pretend like it didn't happen.

But that's just me.
The less Nintendo actually recognizes Project M, the better. If Nintendo was petty enough, they could sue people for it but, thankfully, Nintendo's almost always hands off when it comes to fan projects. Nintendo making an official statement on Project M would be the equivalent of the famous "I will find you, and I will kill you" line in Taken. Best let sleeping dogs lie. At least Nintendo isn't super aggro with their IPs like companies like Square Enix and Capcom who try to squash fan projects as soon as they get any sort of notice.

Sen. Sawft

Professional Laundry Folder
NNID
Sawft
3DS FC
4940-6793-4197
Do you... you do not get how a business works?

Companies never sponsor stuff out their good hearts. If that was the case, they would of donated money, anonymously, in some way to help the pot bonus. No, companies sponsor events because it is the smart thing to do for business. You help your fanbase, they help you out. Simple as that. Nintendo sponsoring Apex helps both parties. You guys make Nintendo sound like they have some evil, cash greedy motive to help Apex. Well, of course! THAT'S WHY IT IS CALLED SPONSORSHIP. You sponsor someone, they help you out by putting your product out there.

Also, take a step back, please, and realize why they can't help Project M out...

They didn't make the damn product. Someone else did. They can't support it. They're not cool with giving it more exposure. There's no money in it for them! I mean, it sucks, I know. But they are not legally allowed to do so without getting permissions from other companies since they're borrowed their IPs. And honestly, why the **** would they?

You guys can ***** and moan on how Project M is getting the shaft or how Nintendo came out of nowhere to be greedy and feed off the community, but you need to realize that there is an actual, real world out there, full of yellow tape and rules you need to follow, and not everything is possible because people look out for themselves.
This guy knows what's going on.

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Doesn't Project M have issues with copyright or other legal issues? Is it bad that Nintendo is sponsoring Apex 2015 besides Project M not being available there?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

I'm positive that there is money on PM for Nintendo's side. You need a copy of Brawl to play it (at least, the hackless method does, which the PM website recommends), which gets more sales for Brawl, and that game is made by Nintendo.

You're right about the yellow tape stuff you said though, albeit you put it pretty harshly. I do agree and believe the problem comes from the other elements included in Project M, elements like costumes and stages that promote other games that weren't licensed or copyrighted in Brawl to begin with (the Castlevania stage is the one that pops up on my head first, though I'm just speculating this is one of the issues. We'll never know for sure if this was even the problem).

It's a damn shame really, because I think that all smash games (whether mods or not) should get equal exposure. Hopefully in the future, we'll work towards making this a possibility.

I also disagree about shutting up on Project M: people are allowed to be displeased with this decision.
EDIT: I meant disagree with the others saying to shut up about PM, not targeting you here with this sentence Chavelo

Last edited:

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Why? We've done fine without Nintendo for years, so why should we suddenly accept their "support" at the cost of a game loved by so many in the community?
If we can create a more tightly knit connection with Nintendo then it will allow fewer issues all around. It can also give tournaments more prize pools and exposure when being backed by such a large company such as Nintendo. It can possibly even allow future games in the series to gain input from players. It simply allows a better future and will allow the game to remain on top. Street Fighter, League of legends, DOTA2, Hearthstone are all games with companies that have tight connections with their competitive scene and it has only helped the communities as a whole.

Last edited:

BestNameEver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gunter7-14-10
With no games that aren't based on movies :O How could a world even survive in that terrible place?
That's irrelevant. The point is that Nintendo's support officially turns to meddling when something like this happens. Their support is completely ingenue, they're yet to host a legitimate tournament even. Yet people seem to think that with Nintendo's help we'll evolve into next level e-sports or something.

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
Great,just when I find the best Smash ( Project M ) and the one I can really get competitive with,and when just in a few years I might ACTUALLY be able to go to tournaments,Nintendo comes out and sponsors one of the biggest tournaments and thus gives P:M the boot from said tournament.

Life is messed up dudes
Same here just got project m 2 months ago, I waited for the GameCube adapter for the wii u only to realize it only works for smash 4 then I had to buy a new nintendo wii for around $90 and the only reason why I bought brawl was to play project m, and now I'm realizing project m is being dropped out from all these tournoments.

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
That's irrelevant. The point is that Nintendo's support officially turns to meddling when something like this happens.
I don't think so. I feel if the tournaments are being backed up by the creators, that's good. More support means more players and interaction by Nintendo.

BestNameEver

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gunter7-14-10
I don't think so. I feel if the tournaments are being backed up by the creators, that's good. More support means more players and interaction by Nintendo.
You can't spin this around: They have meddled with the community to some degree. The fact that there support is obviously isn't genuine adds to that. Top that off with the fact that we've done pretty effing okay without an ounce of acknowledgement for the last decade, I think it's safe to say they've meddled.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
> Nintendo openly sponsors 80% of the competitive Smash communities' games and 100% of the ones they created.

>Nintendo hates competitive gamers.

Makes sense... Contrary to popular belief, the competitive community isn't just Melee and Project M and that's part of the issue here. The original, Brawl, and SSB4 communities shouldn't just be casually dismissed all the time. Melee isn't the only official competitive Smash game.

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
You can't spin this around: They have meddled with the community to some degree. The fact that there support is obviously isn't genuine adds to that. Top that off with the fact that we've done pretty effing okay without an ounce of acknowledgement for the last decade, I think it's safe to say they've meddled.
Definition of meddle: interfere in or busy oneself unduly with something that is not one's concern. Considering it is their game, if they want to jump in to the community, they can. Plus, if we 'revolt' against them trying to sponsor tournaments, do you think that will help the game in any way? Not really, but if they see hate from the competitive community they can start removing/never implementing competitive parts of the game.

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Excuse me if I'm intruding in a conversation here, and this is purely out of curiosity, but what would you consider genuine support from Nintendo, that would be within reason?

Zeafling

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6462-0307
Excuse me if I'm intruding in a conversation here, and this is purely out of curiosity, but what would you consider genuine support from Nintendo, that would be within reason?
It seems he would rather never see any acknowledgement from Nintendo, which is obviously the reason he hates them supporting Apex right now. (Because they haven't acknowledged the community until now)

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
> Nintendo openly sponsors 80% of the competitive Smash communities' games and 100% of the ones they created.

>Nintendo hates competitive gamers.

Makes sense... Contrary to popular belief, the competitive community isn't just Melee and Project M and that's part of the issue here. The original, Brawl, and SSB4 communities shouldn't just be casually dismissed all the time. Melee isn't the only official competitive Smash game.
Nobody hates on the original the reason the original isn't big is because most of them happily switched to melee when it came out, brawl isn't competitive even "master Sakurai" would agree with me, he said it himself he wanted to erase the gap between somebody who picked up the game vs experienced players. Smash 4 is too new to say if its competitive, it seems most people are playing it because it's the new game to play this was the same case with brawl and now the brawl scene is dead

Top Bottom