• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo just released information about their online service.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

And it doesn't look that bad. $20 for a 12mo plan is very cheap. It is per account, so you can't piggyback on your housemates plan. But they do offer family plans, which is 8 accounts for $35. So make some friends and you'll barely have to pay.

In addition, accounts will have access to an expanding library of classic games and special offers. And not every game requires online. Nintendo games will, but it seems other companies can opt to give their game free online access.

And, a small but nice detail, you still get the eShop and news feed even if you don't buy the service.

Quillion

Smash Hero
As long as they're going to pour that money into improving their online service (like Sony did when introducing paid online to PS4), I'm good with paying.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
They are pivoting from a barebones service to a premium "Netflix for classic games" virtual console successor.

This WILL result in a better online service; it's just a matter of how much and how fast. It is likely they will continue to lag behind their competitors on features and infrastructure, but at least it won't be stuck in a permanent "free service" ghetto.

aarchak

Smash Ace
I hope it turns out great, and we get a good online service I can play on without issue. However, I didn't know that you could play the NES games for free with this service. That looks cool.

Edit: I just checked, and you can play the NES games online. Mind blown, that and the online make it worth that $20.

Last edited:

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
Very fair price, as long as the online experience itself is lagfree for the most part then this will probably pay for servers and then some without alienating players with more costs on top of a game console, game and controllers.

I'm very okay with this!

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
PS+ and XBL Gold regularly offer discounts and deals to people, and advertise it as one of the key benefits of the subscription.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
It's as much of a scam as Xbox Live and PSN since hosting servers costs next to nothing for a company as rich as Nintendo, but the price isn't nearly as horrible so it's something I can put up with.

aarchak

Smash Ace
It's as much of a scam as Xbox Live and PSN since hosting servers costs next to nothing for a company as rich as Nintendo, but the price isn't nearly as horrible so it's something I can put up with.
It isn't a scam. While I'm not the most excited for having to start paying for online after over a year of having it for free, it still lets you play NES games with it, and is offering cloud save backups, so they aren't just taking your money for free. Besides, those servers still cost money to host, and they can't keep doing that forever.

Freecs

Smash Cadet
They NEED to fix Splatoon 2’s input lag and make the servers at least as good as the first Splatoon if they want people to trust their efforts. If they do fix it then it will actually feel like we’re paying for something concrete, rather than just having blind faith that our money is being put to use for future games.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It isn't a scam. While I'm not the most excited for having to start paying for online after over a year of having it for free, it still lets you play NES games with it, and is offering cloud save backups, so they aren't just taking your money for free. Besides, those servers still cost money to host, and they can't keep doing that forever.
The only servers that cost money bare matchmaking servers. Everything else is peer to peer.

And about the NES games and online play, maybe your car company should make you pay $20 a year for free gas containers and extra tires, or they will take away your car keys and the speedpass you use for your gas station.

Oh wait, you're right. That's not providing a service. Nintendo is doing the same thing so why call the online itself a service because of the NES games and Cloud saves?

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
The only servers that cost money bare matchmaking servers. Everything else is peer to peer.

And about the NES games and online play, maybe your car company should make you pay $20 a year for free gas containers and extra tires, or they will take away your car keys and the speedpass you use for your gas station.

Oh wait, you're right. That's not providing a service. Nintendo is doing the same thing so why call the online itself a service because of the NES games and Cloud saves?
So you don't like it? Then don't buy it. Meanwhile, I'm going to be playing Balloon Fight on my Switch in-between bouts of high-speed Ultimate matches.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman

The thing about cars is that after your initial purchase there actually IS a bunch of stuff you have to pay for for your car to keep running properly. This is less like your convoluted analogy and more like Nintendo telling you that if you want your car to run you're going to need to buy gas every once in a while.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
So you don't like it? Then don't buy it. Meanwhile, I'm going to be playing Balloon Fight on my Switch in-between bouts of high-speed Ultimate matches.
Because Nintendo will totally be using the money to support servers right?

The thing about cars is that after your initial purchase there actually IS a bunch of stuff you have to pay for for your car to keep running properly. This is less like your convoluted analogy and more like Nintendo telling you that if you want your car to run you're going to need to buy gas every once in a while.
More like "we installed something that won't make the car run properly. If you want to use it pay us $20"

For yellow text, internet, house, electricity and other bills don't exist right?

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
I don't really consider the lack of online play to be something that renders a Switch dysfunctional so we're not really gonna see eye to eye on that regardless. I understand that it sucks for those who already own a Switch and have already been enjoying the online service for free, but I personally have no problem paying the $20 a year. Especially on a family plan, if you coordinate with other people, the cost is practically negligible to most.

Not sure what you're getting at with your second point, sorry. :/

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
I would much rather have virtual console than the Netflix esc service there providing

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I don't really consider the lack of online play to be something that renders a Switch dysfunctional so we're not really gonna see eye to eye on that regardless. I understand that it sucks for those who already own a Switch and have already been enjoying the online service for free, but I personally have no problem paying the $20 a year. Especially on a family plan, if you coordinate with other people, the cost is practically negligible to most.

Not sure what you're getting at with your second point, sorry. :/
Well I'm not much of an online gamer but you acted like you would only have to pay for the subscription. I said there are other bills you have to pay, including internet, electricity and house bills otherwise your switch doesn't work either.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
one night eat at home, there saved you 20 bucks to pay for the online for a year

aarchak

Smash Ace
It's just 20 bucks for a year, it's not that expensive. Nintendo has the right to do anything they want with their service and if you don't like it, don't pay for it. You have the right to do that, and you should do that against any practice you think is bad, but don't say that they have no right to do this or that this is a scam. It's their platform and their choice on what to do with it.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Just let me set the rules for matchmaking. Make lobbies a thing. Make as many offline modes as possible have online counterparts.

That’ll make paying for it worth it.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
It's just 20 bucks for a year, it's not that expensive. Nintendo has the right to do anything they want with their service and if you don't like it, don't pay for it. You have the right to do that, and you should do that against any practice you think is bad, but don't say that they have no right to do this or that this is a scam. It's their platform and their choice on what to do with it.
For one, if the majority want the service then everyone who doesn't want it is forced to change anyways.

Why do you think sakurai eliminated tripping from Smash 4 anyways? Is it because enough people complained? I bet so.

Also, if lockijng online behind a paywall is a service then me blocking your front door unless you pay me $20 to leave is a service too.

one night eat at home, there saved you 20 bucks to pay for the online for a year
Then send $20 to me since you can afford $20. I will send the money to emergency vehicles if you want a service.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
The switch is very lacking in no YouTube/Twitch/browser. Imma need for Nintendo to get with the times. Probably my biggest criticism of the Switch. Its would be soooo convenient. I was hoping they would announce these features. Time to send angry fan-mail to Nintendo :< WHERE IS MY NETFLIX!!!?????!

Even though its only 20 dollars. Not everyone is just lying around with money. In fact Americans in general do not have even 500 dollars for an emergency. That aside, the thing about these online services is that I have to pay for each system. Xbox/Ps4/Switch, it adds up and I'm in college; not that I have money to give. Nintendo was smart to at least had benefits and to make it much cheaper than the ripoff Sony/Xbox has gotten away with. I can see Europeans being perfectly fine with this and even question why Americans are upset. Lets just say, America is very different in policies and government.

PC players still going to RIP into Nintendo tho.

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
Still not gonna pay for it until there's an offline alternative for saving your save files. Right now it feels to me like it's holding that feature hostage behind a paywall (a low one, of course, but I prefer to be in control of my save files and don't have them fly around in some cloud).

aarchak

Smash Ace
if lockijng online behind a paywall is a service then me blocking your front door unless you pay me $20 to leave is a service too.
Or, you can not pay the $20 and still play the plethora of Switch games that don't require online matchmaking. This isn't a paywall to your entire switch catalog. While it will block off games like Splatoon 2, most games don't need this feature and you don't need t pay this to enjoy your Switch.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Or, you can not pay the $20 and still play the plethora of Switch games that don't require online matchmaking. This isn't a paywall to your entire switch catalog. While it will block off games like Splatoon 2, most games don't need this feature and you don't need t pay this to enjoy your Switch.
So you're okay supporting a greedy company right?

aarchak

Smash Ace
So you're okay supporting a greedy company right?
I never said that or even implied it, stop twisting my words. All I'm saying is this is an optional fee to enjoy an extra thing out of your switch. Would I rather have it free? Hell yes, who wouldn't? However it's Nintendo's service, they can do whatever they want with it. Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
I never said that or even implied it, stop twisting my words. All I'm saying is this is an optional fee to enjoy an extra thing out of your switch. Would I rather have it free? Hell yes, who wouldn't? However it's Nintendo's service, they can do whatever they want with it. Again, if you don't like it, don't buy it.
You can also boycott and complain.

Complaining was probably why Sakurai removed tripping in Smash 4.
Complaining is probably why the newest Mario Party on Switch goes back to the gameplay not seen since Mario Party DS
Complaining was why Microsoft tried and failed to charge PC gamers for online

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
this is not greed it is buisness, they got to make money and they have full right to charge for there service

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
this is not greed it is buisness, they got to make money and they have full right to charge for there service
Doesn't make it right or good practice.

You'd also have to actually consider their "service" as an actual service and not as a spit in the eye, like I do. ;)

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Who cares about the cost, I just don't want crippling lag when I'm trying to choke the life out of people on For Glory.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
We can only hope Sakurai drops our jaws when he focuses on online play in a future Direct, and Sakurai sure as hell is good at that. I know I would like to see the latency of players besides friends.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
it cost them money to run servers, were lucky it was free this long

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
If the money used for servers or to help make new games along with there NES library and discount perks it is an ok pricing and entry point for Nintendo into subscription services.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Then you wouldn't mind them sending ransomware to your Switch and making you pay $20 to remove said ransomware.
Then you wouldn't mind if someone refused to open the door for you unless you paid them $20 a year
Then you wouldn't mind if emergency vehicles made you pay $20 a year to use their services?

What? You don't want to? They're just providing a service!

it cost them money to run servers, were lucky it was free this long
Except it's peer to peer, which doesn't cost much. There are no services being provided either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom