• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh hoohoo i'm gonna pull that out next time someone says something I don't have an exceptional reply for.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't find anything amusing.
I wish this conversation was more entertaining.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the 3D craze started some years back, and it really jumped after Avatar. Practically every movie that came out after that was in "3D". Then you saw TVs coming out in 3D, and even the PS3 jumping on it as well. Overall, the 3D thing is fairly old, but it's a shame people bought into it so much given 3D can rarely provide a true quality product. It's mostly directed at movies, but some games apply as well.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've never seen a 3d movie and I plan to. Eventually when I do buy a 3ds i'm never going to use the 3d. This whole fad is crazy imo.

Anyway, back on topic. I know it's only been a few days but have there been any reports on how well 3ds' have been selling since the price drop?

Kuhn

Smash Cadet
Haven't heard anything about 3DS sales. But apparently Star Fox 64 3D pre-orders have gotten a lot better since the price drop.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the 3D craze started some years back, and it really jumped after Avatar. Practically every movie that came out after that was in "3D". Then you saw TVs coming out in 3D, and even the PS3 jumping on it as well. Overall, the 3D thing is fairly old, but it's a shame people bought into it so much given 3D can rarely provide a true quality product. It's mostly directed at movies, but some games apply as well.
I thought Avatar was incredibly overrated, I feel as if people automatically assumed it was ground breaking and amazing because it looked nice. I saw it once in 2D and was entirely unimpressed. It seems as if for most people, the quality of a movie is proportional to the amount of explosions and 3D effects. The same applies for the newest Transformers, but I'm not gonna start on that.

Nintendo should have went a different path with 3DS marketing, I honestly think that they are putting too much emphasis towards making the selling point of the system the 3D, and that is just making them seem like they are just jumping on the 3D cash cow and not trying to make a quality product, not that they did, it is just the message they are conveying.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well I didn't think as a movie, Avatar was that great either. It was just Pocahontas with blue aliens lol. As far as the 3D effects go, I thought they were overrated, but they were better than most 3D movies out there.

Far as it goes with movies, I don't feel it's worth it to pay an extra 2-3 bucks for "3D". Just like with the 3DS...it might be the main selling point, given the word "3D" is in its name, but it's not a main selling point for me. At the end of the day, quality games one way or another matter to me most. It would be nice to see some nice 3D effects along with the gyroscape, but that's all second. Same goes with versatility in what the system can be used for.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I wasn't particularly impressed by Avatar's storytelling, but I do have to agree with LT that the visuals were very nice.

The 3DS is a pretty impressive piece of hardware, imo. And not just for the 3D. It's a shame that all the games that'll be able to actually work well with it aren't coming out for a while, but I guess that's a mistake that Nintendo will have to deal with. Not that they can't, given their absurd level of marketing power >_>

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Visuals are always nice to look at in movies, but I'm more of a story person first. I rarely ever pay money to see a high budget action flick with little to no story telling.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I saw a different Avatar than all of the people on SWF. Such a gorgeous film.
I agree with the fact that it was a gorgeous film, I just thought the story telling was a bit weak. It may have just been because I went in after hearing that it was the greatest film of all time/the next Star Wars. It was far from either though not a terrible film.

It doesn't matter your stance on on Avatar, it is a fact that it would have had much less critical acclaim if it wasn't in 3D.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, Rotten Tomatoes rated it an 83% with most praise coming about the visuals as noted and the cons coming about the weak story telling. James Cameron is a great director, but I don't think the movie lives up to the hype (with that being said, I didn't go in with high expectations).

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Overhype might be a underrated word given people were trying to establish the world of Pandora and such as some sort of kooky religion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It wasn't the 3D that made it, but rather the extremely detailed world.

Back on 3DS discussion... Uhhhh they need to make a Mario Paint 3D. Discuss.
The only cool thing about it would be Gnat Attack 3D.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
Agreed. OoT and Starfox64 were both in need of a remake, so younger generations can check them out.

Is anyone else getting SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked?

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Nothing wrong with remakes. I just can't stand ports which include nothing new.
Does Starfox have any new stuff coming? I plan on getting it regardless, I've -never- played that game ;/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Starfox 64 is getting motion controls (lol), local area play, and some new multiplayer maps, I think. And retexturing, but that goes without saying.

I'm getting Devil Survivor Overclocked, since I'm a fan of the Persona subseries and I didn't get to play Devil Survivor yet.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I wonder if the younger crowd will appeal to StarFox as easily as Zelda.
I think it will do fine. It's much more "pick up and play" which will appeal to the very young demographic more than a slow-burn, text heavy game like Zelda.

I'm excited because I've actually never played SF64 beyond at a kiosk in Wal-Mart when the N64 was new.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Starfox 64 is getting motion controls (lol), local area play, and some new multiplayer maps, I think. And retexturing, but that goes without saying.

I'm getting Devil Survivor Overclocked, since I'm a fan of the Persona subseries and I didn't get to play Devil Survivor yet.
To be honest, I know a lot of people raged when they found out the remake would not have online play =/. They wanted to include it, and have you use the mic to talk with your opponents...but they stuck with lan play, and still have the mic feature built in lol.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
After beating Oot I cant beat the deku tree at master quest...

THIS IS HARD!
It gets pretty bad, the Water Temple has one part where you fight 3 Stalfos at once, their regular attacks do 2 hearts and their jump attack does 3. Most other places aren't too hard enemy wise, except for like 6 or 7 re-dead to get the Lens of Truth in the well, THAT was fun.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I'm at the Forest Temple in MQ and some of the stuff is just ridiculous. Barinade did like 2 hearts a hit. What the crap?

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I usually end up getting killed in MQ because I forget about the double damage thing. Vanilla OoT is so ridiculously easy when it comes to combat that I had become so used to never ever dying, even when I wasn't trying very hard. I'm happy MQ isn't the same story.

Life

Smash Hero
It gets pretty bad, the Water Temple has one part where you fight 3 Stalfos at once, their regular attacks do 2 hearts and their jump attack does 3. Most other places aren't too hard enemy wise, except for like 6 or 7 re-dead to get the Lens of Truth in the well, THAT was fun.
As someone who did a 3-heart run on his first MQ file:

Redead:
Sun's Song, take them on one-two at a time, could be a lot worse.

Stalfos:
The three Stalfos could have been a lot worse than it actually was. Kinda depends whether you have fairies or not. Harder than most bosses tbh. Don't rely on your shield, they can hit through it sometimes. If you have Nayru's Love, use it.

Iron Knuckle is the only other challenging mook.
Throw up Nayru's Love and go to town. If you don't want to use Nayru's Love, watch which way it swings its sword and do the appropriate dodge. Don't rely on your shield, again.

Bosses:
Queen Gohma is fairly easy because she goes down so quickly. Just have to hit her off the ceiling before she starts popping out babies.
King Dodongo... meh.
Barinade was a bit of a pain, try changing your L-target setting if you have trouble.
Phantom Ganon is easy, you just have to stand off to the side and find a place where the sparks won't hit if you screw up the painting phase.
Volvagia is easy, just don't get hit by rocks (they fall near where Volvagia is).
Morpha is a matter of watching your back and/or trapping the weak point in the corner.
Bongo Bongo is a test of how quick you are with the bow (you shouldn't even need the Lens of Truth if you paid attention when you beat him in the original). Find a convenient spot, quickly shoot both hands, and then shoot between them when he charges you. Smack with sword, repeat.
Twinrova is easy.
Ganondorf is easy if you know to spin attack when he does the one thing with a bunch of little sparks (this caught me off guard initially), and watch the floor so you don't fall down.
Ganon, just wait for him to get close, quickly roll between his legs and hit his tail with whatever (Light Arrows, Deku Nuts, or Biggoron Sword initially, then Master Sword when you get it back), then keep running in the same direction and turn around so he has to come at you straight on again, then repeat.

One more protip: watch for Keese. Seriously, my first death was because I got hit behind from one I didn't notice in the Deku Tree. (I died maybe 2-3 times not counting fairy revivals throughout the game)

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Just saw my first 3DS commercial on TV, they were showing off OoT 3D, Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Oh, and the new price. $169.99

Guess Nintendo has finally gotten off their high horse from the DS and realized that they still need to advertise their products, no matter how good their brands are.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well, I gotta go play the second runner that I've had for years but never played

Top Bottom