• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Sonic's got enough going for him. I think it's a good move. And this is coming from a die-hard Sonic fan that would love to see him in everything. Let the others shine.
As a die hard sonic fan then, what are your thoughts on Sonic: Lost World? It comes out on the 3DS too, so its relevant.

finalark

SNORLAX
As a die hard sonic fan then, what are your thoughts on Sonic: Lost World? It comes out on the 3DS too, so its relevant.

I know this question wasn't directed at me, but seeing how I'm pretty sure my fanboyism for Sonic is at least on the same level as Cloud's I just wanna say that Sonic Lost World has me interested. I'm genuinely happy to see SEGA actually use some concepts from Sonic Xtreme, since the spherical level deign in the game looked rather unique and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with it.

I'm not a big fan of the desgin of the bosses, but that's just nitpicking.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but seeing how I'm pretty sure my fanboyism for Sonic is at least on the same level as Cloud's I just wanna say that Sonic Lost World has me interested. I'm genuinely happy to see SEGA actually use some concepts from Sonic Xtreme, since the spherical level deign in the game looked rather unique and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with it.

I'm not a big fan of the desgin of the bosses, but that's just nitpicking.
The bosses are downright terrible imo.

All these similarities between Lost World and Galaxy made me think "What if Mario was the final boss?" lmao that'd be great.

finalark

SNORLAX
When I first saw the bosses I didn't think they were for a Sonic game until I saw the trailer. Although in all honesty if the internet was as widespread back in 1999 as it is today I'm sure we would have gotten similar reactions to Chaos.

I'm really not sure why people keep comparing LW to SMG. Sure, they have the similarity of "shape-oriented levels floating in space" but I'm pretty sure that the game draws more inspiration from Xtreme than Galaxy.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Question. If I didn't like Animal Crossing Wild World, could I still enjoy New Leaf? Or would it be the same sort of experience.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've only played the first Animal Crossing on GCN and a bit of the DS sequel. Chances are if talking to animals and collecting stuff in a small, saccharine town isn't your cup of tea then New Leaf won't change your mind.

Unless they massively overhauled the game play in New Leaf and I'm just talking out my ass.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
My one disappointment is that Sonic is the only playable character again. It's been fun, but I missed in Adventure and Adventure 2 the other playstyles. They made it work. And the Sonic Rush/Advance series showed it working too. Heck even Sonic 3 & Knuckles offered variety while keeping the design intact. SEGA, imo, is scared of the ******** backlash the vocal side of the Sonic community will give if they even think of deviating away from just Sonic again.

Which....is a huge disappointment for me.

Asides from that little mini-rant, I'm excited at the new style. And I only see Galaxy in this game through the visuals and vibrancy. Asides that? Totally Xtreme.

finalark

SNORLAX
My one disappointment is that Sonic is the only playable character again. It's been fun, but I missed in Adventure and Adventure 2 the other playstyles. They made it work. And the Sonic Rush/Advance series showed it working too. Heck even Sonic 3 & Knuckles offered variety while keeping the design intact. SEGA, imo, is scared of the *****ing backlash the vocal side of the Sonic community will give if they even think of deviating away from just Sonic again.

I think that has more to do with backlash from the press than the vocal Sonic community. Sonic has been the whipping boy of gaming journalism ever since SEGA discontinued the Dreamcast. I'll agree the first wave of 3D Sonic games suffered from a dodgy camera and sometimes iffy controls but I'm really not sure why the press decided to instill in everyone that having multiple playable characters was a bad thing. As you said, even Sonic 3 & Knuckles, one of the most beloved games in the franchise, offered three different playable characters.

Not to mention things like Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2's HD re-releases getting poor scores on account of being 3D Sonic games. I'm sure you'll be hard-pressed to find a game journalist criticize Mario 64 for its poorly implemented camera or Goldeneye for its bad frame rate and awkward controls.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm glad it shifted back to mostly Sonic. Playable characters in the 2D Sonic games were fun, but don't make me go treasure hunting or whatever when I paid to play a Sonic game. Keep it as Sonic gameplay with various abilities for other characters and I'm all up for it.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I think that has more to do with backlash from the press than the vocal Sonic community. Sonic has been the whipping boy of gaming journalism ever since SEGA discontinued the Dreamcast. I'll agree the first wave of 3D Sonic games suffered from a dodgy camera and sometimes iffy controls but I'm really not sure why the press decided to instill in everyone that having multiple playable characters was a bad thing. As you said, even Sonic 3 & Knuckles, one of the most beloved games in the franchise, offered three different playable characters.

Not to mention things like Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2's HD re-releases getting poor scores on account of being 3D Sonic games. I'm sure you'll be hard-pressed to find a game journalist criticize Mario 64 for its poorly implemented camera or Goldeneye for its bad frame rate and awkward controls.

Goldeneye is a fun game. But from a shooter standpoint? Now it's awful.

I said it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Question. If I didn't like Animal Crossing Wild World, could I still enjoy New Leaf? Or would it be the same sort of experience.
if you didn't really care for it the first time then yeah, becoming the mayor probably won't do much for you.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Oh wow, sorry. It is Bamco. And I don't hate Capcom. Guess I'm so used to Capcom making these crossover type games. I know there was a another game with 5 uses. Not Revelations, that's for sure.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't get how the EU demo that was released recently gets 30 uses. That makes no sense on why we get 5 :ohwell:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
5 uses?! (O_O);

Here in Europe it has 30 uses...

Then again, in America, Fire Emblem: Awakening has 30 uses, while in Europe it has 10 uses only.

Odd. :ohwell:

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
The only game I can recall with no limits is Final Fantasy Theatrhythm. In Europe, does it say Demo A like this one?

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
After playing the game, I'm not sure what to think. It's a really flashy game, that's for sure.. Guess Demo B will shed more light on the combat?

Also, I only have it preordered because the initial run of this game will have limited edition goodies like a CD.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Just tried the PxZ demo, had more fun than I thought I would. Depending on the next demo, I might buy the game.
I have a feeling that this game is going to end up like Pandora's Tower where some people set high expectations which results to mostly negative opinions.

Game's pretty and it's pretty nice seeing all these characters I haven't seen in awhile.

finalark

SNORLAX
Goldeneye is a fun game. But from a shooter standpoint? Now it's awful.

I said it.

Goldeneye was just a bad game, period. You can't even say it was good compared to other FPS that were out at the time. Quake II came out the same year, Duke Nukem 3D was released a year earlier and Unreal and Half-Life came out a year later. IMO the only reason why Goldeneye gets as much hype as it does is because it was many console gamer's first FPS. And you can't even make the argument that it was the first FPS that was "truely made for consoles." Nothing about that game's design screams "THIS IS TO MAKE THIS EASIER TO PLAY ON A CONSOLE."

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Just tried the PxZ demo, had more fun than I thought I would. Depending on the next demo, I might buy the game.
I have a feeling that this game is going to end up like Pandora's Tower where some people set high expectations which results to mostly negative opinions.

I haven't played Pandora's Tower yet and I'm planning to soon. Is it really that bad?

Goldeneye was just a bad game, period. You can't even say it was good compared to other FPS that were out at the time. Quake II came out the same year, Duke Nukem 3D was released a year earlier and Unreal and Half-Life came out a year later. IMO the only reason why Goldeneye gets as much hype as it does is because it was many console gamer's first FPS. And you can't even make the argument that it was the first FPS that was "truely made for consoles." Nothing about that game's design screams "THIS IS TO MAKE THIS EASIER TO PLAY ON A CONSOLE."
I wouldn't say Goldeneye was a bad game, but it was definitely overhyped.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't played Pandora's Tower yet and I'm planning to soon. Is it really that bad?
I heard it was decent. I meant that the game got some flack because it was being compared to Xenoblade through Operation Rainfall.
People had high expectations also because lots of people petitioned for it to come over, so others thought the game was going to be amazing or something.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Pandora's Tower is okay, but I don't think it will live up to the hype of the other OpRainfall games.

It's a decent game, but I don't think it's a great game.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Wait wait wait...Goldeneye hate going on in here? I hope that's for the Wii one, because as a kid of the times that was amazing, and my brother and I will play a few games of it whenever we see each other.

And I'm hyped the Project X Zone demo is out but 5 uses is kinda...hm.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Pandora's Tower is extremely repetitive and easily the worst the Rainfall games. Plus the game breaking glitch is actually really common and tons of people had to return their game or restart.

The reason why people go bananas over golden eye and perfect dark is because of the

SPLIT SCREEN MULTIPLAYER.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
Anyone hear about AC New Leaf being available at Best Buy early? Looks like you can't actually purchase it until the street date. Which sucks if you unknowingly stumbled upon it on a rack.

I've looked at a whole list of reviews and the praise has been outstanding. The lowest score the game got was from Destructoid which was a 7, which apparently is a good score coming from them. But glad to read through these reviews because my initial impression over the past 3 years since this game was announced really gave me that feeling of that AC Wii game that never came to be and instead turned out to be the trash that is City Folk. What a disappointment that game was.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
It was basically a port of WW. Which isn't that bad actually imo, and the city was an interesting feature. I know that in general I prefer handheld gaming though, and I think AC is a game that really benefits from being on 3DS. I think I only kept up with City Folk for like a month. Well more actually but it definitely didn't keep me playing it for years like WW did.

But yes, only a few days left, and only a little more than two days left if we factor in an average sleep time of 8 hours a night...

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Anyone hear about AC New Leaf being available at Best Buy early? Looks like you can't actually purchase it until the street date. Which sucks if you unknowingly stumbled upon it on a rack.

That happened to me with Pokemon Conquest, even though everywhere else broke street date for it.

Best Buy is pretty dumb about that stuff sometimes.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Pandora's Tower is extremely repetitive and easily the worst the Rainfall games. Plus the game breaking glitch is actually really common and tons of people had to return their game or restart.

Both the Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles are amazing, so saying that Pandora's Tower is the worst isn't really saying much. And what's this game breaking glitch that you're talking about?

That happened to me with Pokemon Conquest, even though everywhere else broke street date for it.

Best Buy is pretty dumb about that stuff sometimes.
Isn't this more of Nintendo's policies, not Best Buy's?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Not really? Nintendo sets the date for their releases, but breaking street date happens all the time. And not just with video games either. I work in a bookstore and a video game store, and we receive lists of release dates (for both jobs, so I would assume Best Buy would have access to those as well). Plus, it says right on the boxes, and plastered all over the packaging, DO NOT RELEASE UNTIL XX DATE. And this has happened to me several times at Best Buy, when everyone and their mother broke street date for Fire Emblem, and they wouldn't give me a copy. And yet, they had Pokemon Conquest on their shelves, but when I took it up to the cash, sorry, no can do?

The thing is, the most Best Buy will take is a regulatory fine for breaking street date, since it's not as if Nintendo is going to stop shipping games to big retailers. If it was a small independent store, that would be a different matter. Imagine an independent store trying to get by without being able to sell Nintendo product because they violated street date and they have refused to allow them to sell any of their future games.

It's Nintendo's date, but the stores have to uphold it. If they ****ed up somewhere, that's not the customer's fault.

Also, I don't shop at Best Buy anymore, but that's a moot point, I suppose.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Isn't that more of marketing scheme on Best Buy's part then? Putting the game up on the shelves tells consumers "Hey look we have the game here and ready for the street date. You can trust us." Since they're such a big business, they might as well take advantages for the stuff that they can get by. Its not that bad of an idea to be honest.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your post lmao

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I think it's more like, a mistake on their part. Obviously, they didn't check to see if Pokemon Conquest had a street date before they put it out, but when they won't let me buy it because "it doesn't come out until tomorrow" then that's kind of silly.

I realize that they're just covering their butts, but they should check the street date on the product they're selling.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Both the Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles are amazing, so saying that Pandora's Tower is the worst isn't really saying much. And what's this game breaking glitch that you're talking about?

When i say worst i mean:

1. It is easily the shortest game of the 3. Had it not been for the game breaking glitch (i had to restart my game) i would have beat it in 15 hours. And that is WITH taking my time with the game.

2. The music. Great music for sure, its just that the same song (just slightly remixed) plays for each of the 13 Towers you go into. It gets old fast.

3. The game itself is SUPER repetitive. Go to tower, swing sword/shoot chain, get flesh and come home to feed girl. That is literally what you do the entire game.

4. The game is very linear. You go from tower 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 to 6......ect with very very very little things to do in between. This kinda sides with the repetitive thing i was mentioning earlier.

5. The game breaking glitch that is apparently VERY COMMON (of the 5 people i know that bought the game, all 5 had the glitch lol). Once you reach Tower 11, if you do not beat it in ONE TRY, you activate the game break glitch. Meaning, if i go to tower 11 and then i am forced to leave it for some reason (inventory is full, i need to heal, girl needs more flesh...ect), when i re-enter the tower my wii/wiiu freezes and makes this horrible screeching sound. Gamefaqs and other sites have tried to find workarounds but nothing really works.

Anyways, i know it seems like im super bashing the game but im really not. The music is great. The puzzles are cool (each tower has new puzzles) and yea that is about it. Im glad Rainfall worked and im glad the game came over here. it was my final wii game.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I have to admit that for a short 1 battle 5-use demo that lets you use the teams of Ryu/Ken, Kite/Blackrose, Soma/Alisa, Kurt/Riela, Ichiro/Sakura, and Gemini/Erica (I think), the Project X Zone demo is actually REALLY good and fun. I like that it's a strategy RPG game-play wise, where you can give covering assists and stuff to extend combos, too. The actual battle screen gameplay itself sort of reminds me a like some odd combination of UMvC3 and TWEWY (just with button presses and not stylus slashes). It sounds weird to say, but that's probably the best way to describe it, just with attacking and defending phases thrown in. Granted, I was already super-hyped for the game before playing the demo, but I'm most certainly going to try and get it as close to launch as I can now. Man...between this and The Last of Us, June is looking like a good game month.

Top Bottom