• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo 3DS

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Since I know a few people are playing EOIV here, I figured I should mention that Atlus is remaking the first Etrian Odyssey game.

This game will have more focus on the story and have its own pre-made characters.

Even though class changing will still exist, I didn't know what to think of this game, until it was announced that a Classic mode will exist, which will allow you to play the game with your own characters like in the first four.
I haven't been able to play EOI so I'm excited now, especially with an expert difficulty mode and the new music. :3

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
I loved the announcements. I'm guessing this E3 will be focused on Wii U. This new Zelda among other games are E3 material. Nintendo must be cooking something up at E3 besides Smash Bros, Mario 3D and Mario Kart U. Exciting times. I'm hoping Miiverse comes to 3DS in June since it was heavily hinted for Animal Crossing New Leaf (and they even have a Miiverse community for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon).

Yoshi's Island was a real pleasant surprise... I still remember playing the crap out of that game as a pre-schooler lol Same thing goes for Earthbound. I vividly remember those games and what I was doing.

Anyhow, this summer is going to be crazy. Animal Crossing. Shin Megami. Project X Zone. Possible surprises around the corner.. Mario Golf too..

Anyone looking forward to Mario Party? Cause I know I'll be getting that to play with buddies.

finalark

SNORLAX
Lol. A lot of people hated Majora's Mask in those days. I never had a N64, so I was indifferent to it. But I will say OoT was so overrated. It is a good game, but too much hype surrounds that game.
This is pretty much my opinion towards the Nintendo 64 as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I think OoT, Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 are solid games (although IMO WW and Sunshine are better, Assault is about on par with SF64) but many of the so-called "classics" on the console have aged horribly. Goldeneye is the biggest offender of this. That console is so overrated its ridiculous.

Although to be fair, most games from that era haven't aged well due to the fact that 3D was new and devs were just figuring out how to use it. But the difference here is that you never see Sony fans claiming the PS2 is garbage and the PS1 was better or SEGA fans saying the Saturn was the best thing under the sun and the Dreamcast was a big, white, POS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This is pretty much my opinion towards the Nintendo 64 as a whole. Don't get me wrong, I think OoT, Mario 64 and Star Fox 64 are solid games (although IMO WW and Sunshine are better, Assault is about on par with SF64) but many of the so-called "classics" on the console have aged horribly. Goldeneye is the biggest offender of this. That console is so overrated its ridiculous.
Agreed, Goldeneye aged pretty badly out of the N64 classics, but I do think OoT, SM64, and SF64 didn't age badly at all though. Only problem for me was SM64's camera for the C buttons. As for opinions, I found OoT better than WW (but it's not perfect either). Same goes for 64 over Sunshine, but not by much (Galaxy trumps both though). OoT's overworld was lacking hard but WW was rushed/incomplete with bad pacing and became mostly a fetch quest after the second dungeon. Sunshine was fun, but FLUDD was too easy to abuse and ruined the platforming for the regular stages. Aside from the fetch quests, WW felt more linear than OoT and same goes for Sunshine.
Although to be fair, most games from that era haven't aged well due to the fact that 3D was new and devs were just figuring out how to use it. But the difference here is that you never see Sony fans claiming the PS2 is garbage and the PS1 was better or SEGA fans saying the Saturn was the best thing under the sun and the Dreamcast was a big, white, POS.
I'd attribute it more towards PS1's graphics limitation compared to N64's and PS1 games having to be built towards digital instead of analog, while PS2 titles followed or created their own standards on certain 3D genres.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd attribute it more towards PS1's graphics limitation compared to N64's and PS1 games having to be built towards digital instead of analog, while PS2 titles followed or created their own standards on certain 3D genres.
The only reason why I make the comparison to Sony and SEGA is because I've noticed that a notably vocal majority of Nintendo's fanbase acts like the Nintendo 64 is the pinnacle of gaming and that everything that came afterwards is garbage. I'll be honest, I'm an odd one out as a Nintendo fan. I was raised primarily on SEGA and didn't own a single Nintendo console until the Game Cube came out. Hell, I didn't own a Nintendo handheld until the GBA. My earliest childhood road trips were spent playing Sonic Tripple Trouble and Lion King on Game Gear. That aside, even though the GameCube hate has really died down I feel like it gets a ton of flack for not being the N64 in some circles while you never see non-Nintendo fans do this.

I mean, I'm sure there's some crazy person out there who honestly thinks that the Dreamcast was a step backwards from the Saturn but if that's the case it's rare.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
64 doesn't have Metroid Prime 1, 2, Wind Waker, or Melee.

And I can play Majora's Mask on the Game Cube! The 64 was okay, but I couldn't call it the best thing Nintendo has done.

That would be the DS/3DS.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My order on buying consoles was

Consoles: NES > SNES > PS1 > GC > PS2 > 360 > Dreamcast (always wanted one) > PS3 > Wii
Handhelds: Game Gear > GBA > SP > DS > Lite > PSP > DSi > Vita > 3DS

GC was good but didn't click with me (and probably my least favorite Nintendo console I owned) as much as it did for others, unfortunately. It had some amazing games like REmake, MP, and Pikmin though. I can't escape from nostalgia, so SNES is my favorite Nintendo console. Handhelds is GBA. It was perfect for those that loved the SNES/PS1 days.

finalark

SNORLAX
My order on buying consoles was

Consoles: NES > SNES > PS1 > GC > PS2 > 360 > Dreamcast (always wanted one) > PS3 > Wii
Handhelds: Game Gear > GBA > SP > DS > Lite > PSP > DSi > Vita > 3DS
Yeah, mine went more along the lines of:

Genesis > PS1 > Dreamcast > GameCube > PS2 > Wii > PS3
and
GameGear > GBA > DS > 3DS.

GC was good but didn't click with me (and probably my least favorite Nintendo console I owned) as much as it did for others, unfortunately. It had some amazing games like REmake, MP, and Pikmin though. I can't escape from nostalgia, so SNES is my favorite Nintendo console. Handhelds is GBA. It was perfect for those that loved the SNES/PS1 days.
Different strokes, I suppose. For me the N64 just never clicked, probably because I have no nostalgia for it. Plus I hate its controller with a burning passion.

I will be honest, the SNES is pretty awesome and has some incredible games on it. And I'll gladly say that even with SEGA nostalgia. I love the Genesis and old School SEGA, but when looked at as unbiased as possible Nintendo really did have the better console.

Even if I will always have more fun playing Sonic 2 than I ever will playing Super Mario World.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Agreed, Goldeneye aged pretty badly out of the N64 classics, but I do think OoT, SM64, and SF64 didn't age badly at all though. Only problem for me was SM64's camera for the C buttons. As for opinions, I found OoT better than WW (but it's not perfect either). Same goes for 64 over Sunshine, but not by much (Galaxy trumps both though). OoT's overworld was lacking hard but WW was rushed/incomplete with bad pacing and became mostly a fetch quest after the second dungeon. Sunshine was fun, but FLUDD was too easy to abuse and ruined the platforming for the regular stages. Aside from the fetch quests, WW felt more linear than OoT and same goes for Sunshine.

I disagree with Mario 64 just a bit.

IDK if it was just the DS version, but the physics in the game are really annoying.

I died more than once from my character running into a weird direction. It's kind of like Luigi on steroids

Astraea31

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, mine went more along the lines of:

Genesis > PS1 > Dreamcast > GameCube > PS2 > Wii > PS3
and
GameGear > GBA > DS > 3DS.
since we're talking about the history of our handhelds I'd like to throw mine in because it's pretty funny

handheld: GBA SP, fat red NDS > black ds lite > white ds lite > 6 years of pc gaming > 3DS 2 months ago

The reason I bought an extra ds lite, is because I think somebody either stole mine during junior high, or it dropped out of my pocket. I honestly don't remember.

The sad thing is there are still a bunch of NDS games I haven't played yet, since I got out of the loop like 2 years after it's release to play PC games. I even bought a DSTwo, but the piece of crap broke down on me, so I'll have to resort to using my computer, even though it lags in Mario Kart. And I really don't want to buy another one because I'm afraid it'll break down on me AGAIN, and then I'll have spent $100 on a whole lot of nothing.

Or I could always just buy an ipod touch and play TWEWY, FF4, Chrono Trigger, and Pheonix Wright 1-3 in better quality... Which are like the only games I would want to play besides a few nintendo games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Different strokes, I suppose. For me the N64 just never clicked, probably because I have no nostalgia for it. Plus I hate its controller with a burning passion.

I will be honest, the SNES is pretty awesome and has some incredible games on it. And I'll gladly say that even with SEGA nostalgia. I love the Genesis and old School SEGA, but when looked at as unbiased as possible Nintendo really did have the better console.

Even if I will always have more fun playing Sonic 2 than I ever will playing Super Mario World.
To be honest, since I never owned an N64, I don't know where I would place it. I found both Zeldas, Smash, and Starfox to be some of my favorite games out of the console. The bad would be leaving so many franchises left for dust because of the difficulty of 3D and crappy 3rd party support (and the bad controller). Gamecube fixed that by bringing back Metroid and a console FE. It did have have slightly better 3rd party support but the problem was the support was still bad outside of some Capcom titles. And Sunshine and WW weren't for me, but still good.

Wii had a ton of those problems too. I guess I'm not sure how I'd rate those three.

I guess that was a long tangent, but basically I really liked Nintendo's handhelds while every console from N64 and up had weaker support and some bad decisions that were made on each console.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo's biggest mistakes have always been how they handled third party support. The only reason why they managed getting away with shafting third parties in the NES days was because back then you're options were either to release a game on the NES or on the Master System. And since I'm sure a good 70 percent of people would need to hit up Wikipedia just to know what a Master System is the choice is obvious.

And honestly, say what you will about Capcom's GameCube support but even then all of the good so-called "exclusive" Capcom games for GCN were eventually ported to the PS2 anyway.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
And honestly, say what you will about Capcom's GameCube support but even then all of the good so-called "exclusive" Capcom games for GCN were eventually ported to the PS2 anyway.
Actually yeah, you're absolutely right. The only one that stuck and was worth getting was REmake. Now I'm struggling to find what 3rd party exclusives I truly enjoyed that weren't just ports from older games. The only ones I can think of are Twin Snakes and the Baten Kaitos games, but I haven't played any of those.

finalark

SNORLAX
Twin Snakes is pretty good, better than MGS for the PS1 IMO. But again, much like the REmake it was technically a PS1 game first. I haven't played Baten Kaitos. I've heard it's pretty good but I haven't seen it around in years.

Wasn't RE0 GC exclusive until it was ported to the Wii? I haven't played it but I heard it's pretty good.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Picked up a copy of Soul Hackers. It's kinda weird, but interesting.

Also, I just found out yesterday that SMT IV comes with some nice pre-order bonuses, so I guess I should get on that as well.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For those that are playing Soul Hackers, what type of spells is your Nemissa getting? On mine she has electric/(early)almighty. I didn't know telling Hitomi what you thought about her affects what spells she'll get. lol

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Basically

upbeat = fire/expel
calm = ice/death
sexy = electricity

The question seemed very unimportant so I just teased her. I'm ok with this though lol

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I got Ice.

Then the game threw an Ice dungeon at me.

Then a demon hit my main character with an Ice attack and my game froze.

I could only laugh. Elec looks like the best, but I'll stick with this, I think it suits the character too, even if only because of her hair and outfit.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
I've heard it's somewhat rare, I'll just have to hope I don't have too much of a problem with it. I save very often in all of my games though, and I wasn't far from the last save point, so it wasn't too bad.

I'm not playing Soul Hackers much right now though, I'm alternating between it and EOIV.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Aw, haha. That's funny yet sad about the freezing. I never knew that there was a freezing issue so I guess I'll try to save more often now. I haven't gotten far in this game, I'm on the 2nd vision quest now. I like the atmosphere and setting of the game, but I'm taking my time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Twin Snakes is pretty good, better than MGS for the PS1 IMO. But again, much like the REmake it was technically a PS1 game first. I haven't played Baten Kaitos. I've heard it's pretty good but I haven't seen it around in years.

Wasn't RE0 GC exclusive until it was ported to the Wii? I haven't played it but I heard it's pretty good.
I hated playing Twin Snakes on the GC for these primary reasons...

1. They changed up a lot of the memorable music to become worse(Mantis' Hymn and Encounter for example).

2. By incorporating MGS2's gameplay and not redesigning the MGS1 layout...Snake essentially became overpowered with the extra "moves" he had. It also "broke" one of the boss fights making it stupid easy.

3. They changed up some of the scenes for the worst. To become more action oriented. Most notably...
- In MGS1, when Raven fires a tank missile at you, Snake barely dodges it, and the shock sends him against the wall.
- In Twin Snakes, Snake does an epic action back flip and lands on his feet.

That was the last time Snake ever did a back flip.

4. Personal opinion, but I thought the VAs this time around were a bit more uninspired.

finalark

SNORLAX
I should go and replay PS1 MGS1 some time. It might just be that I'm more familiar with Twin Snakes than I am MGS1. Sadly, Tucson is a horrible town for gaming so it's impossible to find a copy around here.

Which is ironic because no less than three years ago finding rare games here was easy and cheap. But then that awesome locally owned game store moved it's business to California and I guess everyone who was circulating rare games either left with them or decided to hold onto them.

/QQ

Minato

穏やかじゃない
What was the name of the store? And I'm finding it hard to find old games/gems. The prices are usually inflated at used game shops, so it's usually best to find an old electronics store since they usually sell games for cheap.

finalark

SNORLAX
It was called Level Up Games. They were locally owned and always had really good stuff there because the store owner always ordered older games to cater to a retro audience. Walking in and seeing a copy of Phantasy Star 4 complete with original box and manual for $20 was a normal thing for that shop. That guy sold everything for really reasonable prices too.

I got a copy of Skies of Arcadia for Dreamcast there for $20. That game normally runs in the $50-80 price range these days.

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
After Raiden threw a Metal Gear Ray into the air, I don't really care if Snake backfliped a missile.

I've also never played the PS1 version of MGS, even though I have it thanks to the PS2 boxset. I enjoyed 2 and 3 more and would probably be willing to play those again first. Maybe it's worth mentioning that Konami has announced a MGS legacy collection with all the games, and I believe it has PS1 MGS. Information is kind of hard to find, I don't know if MGS1 will have its own disc or not and the price of the whole thing is unknown.

Also it's a PS3 exclusive, so it's a little of topic, but whatever, it's kind of relevant to the current discussion. :3

Edit: oh, looks like MGS1 is on PSN according to wikipedia, guess that would be better if you just want to replay the first game.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Just found out that Mario Party DS only needed one cartridge to play, that might have actually been a good game to get, but since a 3DS one is coming out shortly, I'll be picking that up instead.

The Shin Megami Tensei series, I hear about that a lot. What are the ones available on Nintendo consoles, and are they all recommendable?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The Shin Megami Tensei series, I hear about that a lot. What are the ones available on Nintendo consoles, and are they all recommendable?
In the US, you have Strange Journey (DS), Devil Survivor 1 and 2 (DS), Devil Survivor 1 Overclocked for 3DS (get this instead of the DS one), and Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS).

Strange Journey and Soul Hackers are first person JRPGs, so it depends on if you tolerate that kind of thing. Besides that, I find Soul Hackers pretty accessible, even if it's a port of an old game. DeSu games are SRPGs and are recommended if you like SRPGs. Overclocked is an upgraded port of the first one so you could probably try that. I wouldn't suggest getting DeSu2 since an upgraded 3DS port is in the works.

I'd say look up videos of SJ and SH to see if you're not bothered by that kind of style. If none of these appeal to you, SMT4 will be coming out in July, I believe.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
After Raiden threw a Metal Gear Ray into the air, I don't really care if Snake backfliped a missile.
Rules of Nature!

You smiled once the music kicked in and he unrealisticly tossed Ray into the air. Don't lie. Because nanomachines.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I read that article too.

I'm other news, GameStop FINALLY got a new shipment of Luigi's Mansion 2 after a whole month. So now I have Luigi's Mansion 2, and I am having lots of fun with it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
So who's getting Animal Crossing? It's sad how impatient I am for this game.

Top Bottom