• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It looks like the only 90's Nicktoon series left to be unveiled is Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers.

I feel it's only a matter of time before Rocko shows up, Angry Beavers deserve to be in, But Nickelodeon doesn't promote them as much as compared to fellow 90's Nicktoons outside of merchandise so if any Nicktoon from that era for whatever reason gets passed on I unfortunately think it would be them.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It looks like the only 90's Nicktoon series left to be unveiled is Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers.

I feel it's only a matter of time before Rocko shows up, Angry Beavers deserve to be in, But Nickelodeon doesn't promote them as much as compared to fellow 90's Nicktoons outside of merchandise so if any Nicktoon from that era for whatever reason gets passed on I unfortunately think it would be them.
Well there's also Kablam, which has it worse due to all the licensing required just to reair one of its episodes. Nicktoons eventually gave up and just reaired the easier to acquire sketches individually, and Mark Marek, one of the people behind the show, posted every single episode to his site so copyright prevents it from being lost to time.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think Rocko is Likely, but I wouldn't say he's a Lock. As Important as he is, I could see him sitting out if Ludocity had other characters they wanted to Implement due to more Mechanical variety, Bias, or something like that

Not to say Rocko can't have a moveset (though to be honest, I'm not familiar with the series, So I'm wondering how he'd be implemented in the game in your guys opinion). But with a limited amount of Space of 22 characters, I think there are other characters in contention and such

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

There's also Rocket Power who I think is more likely than the Beavers, but I'm more confident with Rocko. If they really want to have more retro characters maybe we could have both Rocko and Otto Rocket.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Oh if it's not been shared yet: There will be unlockables, but no need to unlock the characters or stages

View attachment 327983
What ARE those things is the question, if not characters or stages.

I can't tell if costumes are ruled out or not after the fake out with Lincoln and I doubt they'll be able to get any actual songs from the shows for unlockable BGM. Maybe modes?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
What ARE those things is the question, if not characters or stages.

I can't tell if costumes are ruled out or not after the fake out with Lincoln and I doubt they'll be able to get any actual songs from the shows for unlockable BGM. Maybe modes?
We were discussing the prospect of including classic episodes in the game as unlockables, like in the old Cartoon Network Racing game, earlier in the thread - that could be a licensing nightmare though.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well there's also Kablam, which has it worse due to all the licensing required just to reair one of its episodes. Nicktoons eventually gave up and just reaired the easier to acquire sketches individually, and Mark Marek, one of the people behind the show, posted every single episode to his site so copyright prevents it from being lost to time.
I remember hearing or possibly seeing promos for the show when I was a kid, But to be honest I don't really remember the premise of the show or what it was about, but from the sounds of it I doubt it makes it in as I don't really see Nick mention bring it up much.
There's also Rocket Power who I think is more likely than the Beavers, but I'm more confident with Rocko. If they really want to have more retro characters maybe we could have both Rocko and Otto Rocket.
Could of sworn that it was a very early 2000's show, But then again I never really cared about that it anyways.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I remember hearing or possibly seeing promos for the show when I was a kid, But to be honest I don't really remember the premise of the show, but from the sounds of it I doubt it makes it in as I don't really see Nick bring it up.

Could of sworn that it was a very early 2000's show, But then again I never really cared about it anyways.
Rocket Power is a similar case to CatDog, Thornberrys, and Spunch Bop, debuted in the very late 90s, but more of its run was in the 00s.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
So with these two reveals, here's my updated/current top ten list of characters that I want to play as the most:
1. Danny Phantom (I like the series and the main character. It looks like a fast character so it would be up my alley.)
2. Reptar (exudes a lot of personality in this game. He sounds like an insta main just for that.)
3. CatDog (I grew up with the series, I like dual characters.)
4. Zim (I think he would be up there when it comes to how interesting the character might be. I also love the series)
5. Nigel Thornberry (Smashing!)
6. Oblina (Well, she sounds intriguing with the unusual and transformative moveset)
7. Lucy (I kinda want to see more of her. The flying bat move and teleportation are cool though)
8. Lincoln Loud (He might be another mobile character. I like mobility)
9. Spongebob (Well, the moveset is quite nice.)
10. Helga (She sound interesting. espoecially if she has a hit behind her back move.)

Also, me getting comfortable for the leg girl being put to rest only to realize that we still have missing characters and the Ren&Stimpy situation hasnt been solved yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I remember hearing or possibly seeing promos for the show when I was a kid, But to be honest I don't really remember the premise of the show or what it was about
It's a compilation of animated (sometimes live action, Life With Loopy even combines stop motion with puppets and life action) shorts. The most notable of which was Action League Now, about a team of super heroes who were super-idiots and also action figures, and they got into all sorts of action figure torture every episode.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Rocket Power is a similar case to CatDog, Thornberrys, and Spunch Bop, debuted in the very late 90s, but more of its run was in the 00s.
Spongebob (1999) and CatDog (1998) I loved and watched as a kid in the late 90's, But I personally didn't care much about the other 2 and probably didn't really notice them more until the early 2000's which lead me to believe they debuted around (2000-2001).

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem

LimeTH

Smash Lord
So with these two reveals, here's my updated/current top ten list of characters that I want to play as the most:
1. Invader ZIM: My favorite Nicktoon, and looks like a complete blast to play. I couldn't be happier at the idea of ZIM in a game like this.
2. Reptar: I have a lot of nostalgia for the character and he looks fun and badass.
3. Spongebob: Guys, years and years of jokes about Spongebob in Smash and now it's actually sorta happening? How on earth can I pass that up?
4. Lucy: My favorite character in TLH, and also admittedly I'm hoping she'll fill the void left by Ashley not being playable in Ultimate.
5. CatDog: They look crazy interesting.

It's a compilation of animated (sometimes live action, Life With Loopy even combines stop motion with puppets and life action) shorts. The most notable of which was Action League Now, about a team of super heroes who were super-idiots and also action figures, and they got into all sorts of action figure torture every episode.
You think Nick Studios still has a box of leftover Action League Now figures in a closet somewhere?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So does this deconfim dlc as a whole currently, or is it like specifically the microtransaction crap we see in most games like loot boxes or booster packs or in-game currency and stuff like that
I wouldn't say this necessarily completely deconfirms DLC; if such a thing were in the works, I imagine Rep wouldn't be able to talk about it yet. I mean, heck, they haven't even revealed the entire base roster yet, and even Smash Ultimate waited until the entire base roster had been revealed before confirming DLC.

I think he was more confirming that microtransactions wouldn't be a thing with the game, which is VERY GOOD; keep that crap out, thank you!

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
I think Rocko is Likely, but I wouldn't say he's a Lock. As Important as he is, I could see him sitting out if Ludocity had other characters they wanted to Implement due to more Mechanical variety, Bias, or something like that

Not to say Rocko can't have a moveset (though to be honest, I'm not familiar with the series, So I'm wondering how he'd be implemented in the game in your guys opinion). But with a limited amount of Space of 22 characters, I think there are other characters in contention and such

100%

For example. in many other circumstances when choosing a 3rd rep for Avatar, Zuko would be a lock but Ludosity's bias is so strong that I can't even be surprised if he gets the boot for Katara or Toph. Not the first time this happened either (Turtles v Shredder v April scenario with April coming out on top).

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
100%

For example. in many other circumstances when choosing a 3rd rep for Avatar, Zuko would be a lock but Ludosity's bias is so strong that I can't even be surprised if he gets the boot for Katara or Toph. Not the first time this happened either (Turtles v Shredder v April scenario with April coming out on top).
Which I personally am fine with. We got some pretty out there choices like Powdered Toast Man, Lucy, Oblina and Nigel Thornberry in the roster. So, let´s enjoy this based roster bringing forth some fun choices rather than what we would get if this was made by Nick executives.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
100%

Bias is good. The only way to make a truly valid piece of art is to be selfish and create what you want, not an amalgamation of things other people or a giant corporation want against your will for the sake of selling a few extra copies. That's not to say fan or even corporate feedback is inherently bad (some of SpongeBob's most iconic episodes came out of mandates for SpongeBob to go through problems kids face as well as adult life for example) but at the end of the day the dev/writer/director should have the final say, not the producer or some stock market mogul.

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
Bias is good. The only way to make a truly valid piece of art is to be selfish and create what you want, not an amalgamation of things other people or a giant corporation want against your will for the sake of selling a few extra copies. That's not to say fan or even corporate feedback is inherently bad (some of SpongeBob's most iconic episodes came out of mandates for SpongeBob to go through problems kids face as well as adult life for example) but at the end of the day the dev/writer/director should have the final say, not the producer or some stock market mogul.
I never said it was a bad thing, just that it's strong and determines more things than one would expect.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Ok so April might have somethig like Frank West's MvC mechanic, we see a move where she takes a bunch of pics but they didn't connect and it's explain those pink stars Gil mentioned
Yep, and we can see in her trailer that it goes up to at least three levels so far.
Level 1-1 yellow star
Level 2- 2 green stars
Level 3- 3 purple stars.

It might increase her power with certain moves that are covered in "aura" when she attacks, like the camara dash attack.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yep, and we can see in her trailer that it goes up to at least three levels so far.
Level 1-1 yellow star
Level 2- 2 green stars
Level 3- 3 purple stars.

It might increase her power with certain moves that are covered in "aura" when she attacks, like the camara dash attack.
The camera on wheels? I felt that was a side special due to the momentum she gained but she also has another attack like that with a hand camera meaning it may be the same move with different charge levels. It might also explain why April reflects some attacks as only her level 3 mic attack had armour

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I wouldn't call it a GOOD thing (just look what bias did to Smash...), it can go either way depending on how it's used. They can create whatever they want to make but at the same time make sure to not go too far in one direction. Why do you think Fire EMblem has too many reps? Why do you think Kirby suffers so much content-wise? Do we really want this same thing to happen in this game, too? Bias is best when moderated, and so far they've been doing a good job! I just don't want us to get to the point down the line where, say, obscure Rocko characters are getting in over major Danny Phantom characters. This game has been an extremely positive experience so far for everyone! I just want to make sure we don't enter the same pitfalls that Smash did.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Here's an interesting thought: Considering GameMill (the company behind the two Kart racers) is involved, maybe negotiations are easier for characters/series they've worked with in the past? There is a lot of overlap:

• SpongeBob SquarePants
  • Danny Phantom
  • Invader ZIM
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • The Loud House
  • The Ren & Stimpy Show
  • CatDog
  • Rugrats
  • The Legend of Korra
  • Hey Arnold!

All of these shows receive representation in both games, whereas the following shows only receive representation in one:

• The Wild Thornberrys
  • Aaahh! Real Monsters
  • Rocko's Modern Life*
  • - The JoJo and BowBow Show Show (Pretty sure we can count this one out)

*As of thus far.

If this is the case, that would make Rocko a lot more likely; the negotiations have basically been all but done.

This is just a theory, of course, but I think it's a sound one, along with my Hero theory, but that's something for later.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I wouldn't call it a GOOD thing (just look what bias did to Smash...), it can go either way depending on how it's used. They can create whatever they want to make but at the same time make sure to not go too far in one direction. Why do you think Fire EMblem has too many reps? Why do you think Kirby suffers so much content-wise? Do we really want this same thing to happen in this game, too? Bias is best when moderated, and so far they've been doing a good job! I just don't want us to get to the point down the line where, say, obscure Rocko characters are getting in over major Danny Phantom characters. This game has been an extremely positive experience so far for everyone! I just want to make sure we don't enter the same pitfalls that Smash did.
Fire Emblem is the exact thing I was speaking about when I was talking about bias - FE's proliferation in Smash was a corporate decision, not a creative one, that is pretty well-documented. FE's overrep is the result of a lack of bias, not the result of bias.

Anyway, are you implying you don't want Dr. Paula Hutchinson in Nick Brawl?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's an interesting thought: Considering GameMill (the company behind the two Kart racers) is involved, maybe negotiations are easier for characters/series they've worked with in the past? There is a lot of overlap:

• SpongeBob SquarePants
  • Danny Phantom
  • Invader ZIM
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  • The Loud House
  • The Ren & Stimpy Show
  • CatDog
  • Rugrats
  • The Legend of Korra
  • Hey Arnold!

All of these shows receive representation in both games, whereas the following shows only receive representation in one:

• The Wild Thornberrys
  • Aaahh! Real Monsters
  • Rocko's Modern Life*
- The JoJo and BowBow Show Show (Pretty sure we can count this one out)

*As of thus far.

If this is the case, that would make Rocko a lot more likely; the negotiations have basically been all but done.

This is just a theory, of course, but I think it's a sound one, along with my Hero theory, but that's something for later.
This overlap seems to be more about Nick's love for most of those shows in general, not them being already represented in a GameMill game.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I thought I'd dump my thoughts on CatDog's moveset here since I've been overflowing with them and I don't know where else to put them.

So as we're all aware, CatDog is basically this game's take on a "stance" character, being able to manually turn around and switch which sides Cat and Dog are facing. A few different times during the trailer, such as at the very beginning with Nigel Thornberry, we see them both turn around and throw a punch in one motion. I'd hazard a guess that this is their Down Special, and it's how they're going to manage their "stances", so to speak. Currently, I have no idea what the differences between them are; my best guess is that maybe Dog's attacks are beefier and Cat's are faster or something like that? Either way, they appear to have mostly shared normals, like the hydrant attack that I presume to be Ftilt, as well as some moves that they both perform, such as Fair and the aforementioned Down Special. That said, they also seem to have some unique moves, such as the move with Dog coughing up a bone (probably Side Special) and the Cat-Strangling-Dog move which I presume to be Jab, though oddly, both of these moves immediately snap Dog into the front position even if Cat was facing front beforehand, which may or may not be a consequence of early development. (I personally hope it is, 'cause seeing CatDog completely flip around over two subsequent frames looks REALLY janky.) We also see a few times in the trailer that they can turn around in the air as well. I have no idea what this could be mapped to. It doesn't seem to be aerial Dspecial, since we see them start that move in the air in the Nigel Thornberry clip. Maybe it's like, a double-tap thing?

As for the moves themselves, these guys appear to have a lot of range laterally, but not in a big bubble around them, kind of like the Belmonts in Smash. Likewise, frame data is not their strong suit, with most of their non-Jab moves having double-digit startup frames. (Granted, it's hard to tell sometimes with video shenanigans and pre-release footage may fudge the numbers a bit, but regardless, most of their moves don't exactly look fast - the hydrant move is frame 16, for reference.) Some of their hitboxes look pretty nutty, though; I counted, and this Fair lingers for a whopping 15 FRAMES.

Anyway, as far as the rest of the roster, I'm still considering Jenny about as close to a lock as you can get for this game. If she misses the boat at launch, I would be VERY surprised if she isn't added post-launch. Jimmy and Timmy are similar deals for me. Zuko I think is possible, but it's a little bit weird for me if there are supposed to be three Avatar characters in this game and they haven't even shown one yet. I'm not totally expecting him, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him either. Rocko's a similar case where he's definitely got a shot considering the devs' evident bias toward 90's-2000's era Nicktoons, but at the same time, I can also easily see him missing out. I fully expect Ren & Stimpy to be this game's Ice Climbers, since I don't really see why they'd bother coming up with full movesets for both when they can easily package them together and probably have them be more unique that way. (I mean, the name of the show's Ren & Stimpy.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom