• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Guess I'm the only one kinda relieved there is no voice acting.

It bugged the crap out of me in Punch Time Explosion to hear Father from KND sound like Deadpool.

If you can't get everyone's old voice back I'd rather them just be mute
Yeah. It'd be a disservice for these famously vocal characters to only grunt, but hearing the same quotes detached from their original context on loop would get old fast. I think pre-fight dialogue boxes would be the perfect compromise. I'd really want to know what Nigel has to say about the Ninja Turtles.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
I dunno why everyone is in doomsday mode after voice acting was disconfirmed. It's a major part of these characters and a huge shame to lack, sure, but what really matters is gameplay. We survive Smash without DK's "OK!", we can do this.
Ultimate Bowser's probably the most fun the character has ever been, but man it sucks that his voice doesn't have the charm of the Mario games, or even the intimidation of the Melee or Brawl version.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
On a side note, what do you think they’re going to do for costumes in this game?

Will Nick allow them to make simple palette swaps? (Are there past Nick games with palette swaps like that?) Will characters have uniquely modeled costumes? (Slap City had a bunch of uniquely modeled costumes, although we don’t know if they’ll have time for that in this game. There’s probably lots of nice options if they do have time to make unique costumes, though.)

(If the answer to both of those questions is no, then I’d imagine that the characters would have to have player port colored outlines or auras, kind of like the team outlines in Smash 4 and Ultimate.)

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

It bugged the crap out of me in Punch Time Explosion to hear Father from KND sound like Deadpool.

I live in Latin America, so i don't have an attachment to most English voice actors already.

I would be more than okay if the budget is saved for the game instead of using it for voice actors.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
On a side note, what do you think they’re going to do for costumes in this game?

Will Nick allow them to make simple palette swaps? (Are there past Nick games with palette swaps like that?) Will characters have uniquely modeled costumes? (Slap City had a bunch of uniquely modeled costumes, although we don’t know if they’ll have time for that in this game. There’s probably lots of nice options if they do have time to make unique costumes, though.)

(If the answer to both of those questions is no, then I’d imagine that the characters would have to have player port colored outlines or auras, kind of like the team outlines in Smash 4 and Ultimate.)
Past Nick games had alternate costumes altogether, but those games also had Timmy and Jimmy at base so who knows

yeah I can understand that I suppose

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of voice acting. Part of the fun for me was going to be hearing all of these Nicktoon characters interact with each other. Having Nigel say "SMASHING", or Danny Phantom say he's "Going Ghost", or SpongeBob tell Lincoln Loud to "Bring it around town", or basically anything from Zim and Michelangelo would have really tickled my eardrums. However, I feel that they could use this opportunity to make the core fighting gameplay and modes for the game much more polished. Plus, I would rather them implement voice acting smoothly rather than unsmoothly.

Take Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion for example. That game did have a certain amount of voice acting. However (and correct me if I'm wrong here, I haven't played the game in years), many of the characters did not say much of anything to each other while they were fighting. No grunts when they got hit, no sayings when they used their special moves. The only time you really hear them speak was when they either got knocked off the screen, or won the match. And even then it was only one line of dialogue each, or the narrator said something instead.

The story mode had this weird thing where the characters both spoke through voice lines and text boxes, but the spoken dialogue really only seemed to serve the purpose of telling the audience who was currently speaking. Idk hearing Flapjack say "Hi friend!" while having the dialogue box say something else entirely was really jarring and honestly took me out of it. Coupled with the fact that the pictures next to the text boxes already showed which character was currently talking, the voice lines at that point seemed really unnecessary.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I dunno why everyone is in doomsday mode after voice acting was disconfirmed. It's a major part of these characters and a huge shame to lack, sure, but what really matters is gameplay. We survive Smash without DK's "OK!", we can do this.
Sometimes I feel like this fanbase's standards are either too high or too low, nothing in-between. In this case, it's just the impression that only Rocky not saying anything would make sense.
Also, a better comparison would be :ultrob: :ultsteve::ultalex::ultzombie::ultenderman:, who never even grunt.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
For starters, Smash is still going to appeal more to Japan than a crossover involving Western cartoons.
Japan is not the biggest audience for Smash.
"Smash Killer" in this context has a bit of an underlying meaning - more as "the competitive Ultimate killer", not "the killer of Smash as a series in all forms". Similar to how PM overtook competitive Brawl for a lot of the latter game's short lifespan.
I think video game lovers will more unanimously love a video game crossover game, than video game lovers would love a kids television crossover game.

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how much many got extremely upset over the lack of voices, yet I'm willing to bet that people would quickly grow tired and aggravated at hearing them constantly without a break. These are the kind of voices that are louder and more exaggerated (and considering a surprising amount of people ***** about say... Ness's voicelines, people would get maaaad). It's exactly what happens to a lot of other chars and hearing them engage in battles.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not sure I survived it. My soul may be gone without that DK voice.
It's funny how much many got extremely upset over the lack of voices, yet I'm willing to bet that people would quickly grow tired and aggravated at hearing them constantly without a break. These are the kind of voices that are louder and more exaggerated (and considering a surprising amount of people ***** about say... Ness's voicelines, people would get maaaad). It's exactly what happens to a lot of other chars and hearing them engage in battles.
A lot of this is true- but still... having voices doesn't mean they would have to be in the actual fighting portion of the game.
Just having them in other areas of the game- story mode, character selection, maybe entry to fight, victory screen... it just all helps bring the characters to life, to feel like they are real entities entering the game.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Not gonna lie, I am somewhat disappointed by the lack of voice acting. Part of the fun for me was going to be hearing all of these Nicktoon characters interact with each other. Having Nigel say "SMASHING", or Danny Phantom say he's "Going Ghost", or SpongeBob tell Lincoln Loud to "Bring it around town", or basically anything from Zim and Michelangelo would have really tickled my eardrums. However, I feel that they could use this opportunity to make the core fighting gameplay and modes for the game much more polished. Plus, I would rather them implement voice acting smoothly rather than unsmoothly.

Take Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion for example. That game did have a certain amount of voice acting. However (and correct me if I'm wrong here, I haven't played the game in years), many of the characters did not say much of anything to each other while they were fighting. No grunts when they got hit, no sayings when they used their special moves. The only time you really hear them speak was when they either got knocked off the screen, or won the match. And even then it was only one line of dialogue each, or the narrator said something instead.

The story mode had this weird thing where the characters both spoke through voice lines and text boxes, but the spoken dialogue really only seemed to serve the purpose of telling the audience who was currently speaking. Idk hearing Flapjack say "Hi friend!" while having the dialogue box say something else entirely was really jarring and honestly took me out of it. Coupled with the fact that the pictures next to the text boxes already showed which character was currently talking, the voice lines at that point seemed really unnecessary.
mmm, No, my memory may be fuzzy but i do remember plenty of characters making grunt noises or other sounds such as laughing when using their attacks. They even have lines when they activated their support attacks such as Chowder saying "Time to Pay For Some Paywichs" or Buttercup saying "Who You Calling Cute?" or even Ben's Usual "It's Hero Time"
As for the dialogue for the cutscenes, it's complicated, though i think they couldn't be able to fill in the dialogue texts for the characters and maybe decided to have character say one or two words to make sounds similar to a game using sounds while character pops up if one exists. although this does contradict everything with the narrator being the only one who speaks in his dialogue.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
People are mad at Ness' Voicelines? Why do they have to be that way to him

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
For some reason I'm only just now remembering that the Subspace Emissary, had almost no true dialogue. Sure the characters weren't mute, but nobody talked, even characters that probably should've

I think as long as the characters are animated in a way that makes it hard to not feel like you're playing as that character we should be good

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So I didn't really mind the voices used in both Smash and Punch-Time Explosion (which is an underrated game in my opinion), so not having voices for All-Star Brawl (at least, for now) is a bit of a bummer, but as long as the game itself is fun to play and the characters are expressive enough (which judging by the trailer and the few screenshots on the website, they are), I think I'll survive not having voices.

I do at least want a voice for the announcer, though.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yeah, Tom Kenny's post Movie Spongebob voice is something im not particularily fond of, and hearing him scream at the top of his lungs everytime he gets thrown or attacks someone would get old really really fast.

But in Smash defense, you can turn off voices altogether while keeping sound effects and music intact (do people remember this is a feature?) so in case Nick All Star Brawl were ever to add a voice update patch or add it in a sequel, this should be an option.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
To be fair, the rooftops is pretty much a staple location across the entirety of the TMNT shows.
1627580981030.png
1627581236286.png

good point, plus looking back at the stage the Foot Clan on the stage only matches the 1987 design, the rest are either black or radically different in the case of Rise TMNT. So it seems this is in fact also a 1987 TMNT stage. Interesting

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
View attachment 324555
sorry for the horrible image quality but PC/Steam port has been confirmed

View attachment 324652
this is an interesting nugget of info from a while back that was just discovered (white text is with Ludosity)
As expected, 80s turtles all the way.

I mean, not that much of a stretch seeing how Tribute Games and Dotemu are also indie devs and wanted that for their TMNT game as well.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
As expected, 80s turtles all the way.

I mean, not that much of a stretch seeing how Tribute Games and Dotemu are also indie devs and wanted that for their TMNT game as well.
I think that this is because of nostalgia. This game is mostly nostalgia-focused, especially considering that 13 out of the 19 fighters we know about debuted in the 90s or earlier.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
This might be a pretty important point to consider for character predictions.
yeah, it's why I left out "obvious inclusions" like Timmy and Jimmy because Nick is riding hard on that 90's nostalgia right now and I believe the devs are big 90's kids as well. Then again Nick didn't push for any characters it seems so I imagine Ludosity would probably have the roster be more varied as far as generational split goes. At least that's what I want to believe

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 324555
sorry for the horrible image quality but PC/Steam port has been confirmed

View attachment 324652
this is an interesting nugget of info from a while back that was just discovered (white text is with Ludosity)
That person seems less and less credible each time I read from them.
They get in DEPTH with some of this information- requests that were made but not allowed, even the information here about using the old Turtles seems beyond someone 'barely involved.' But the fact that before we were told something along the lines of, "we got almost everyone we wanted," and then were told by another, "we didn't choose, if we did, boy would there be some picks"- which are two very contrary statements...leads me to not trust any of these announcements.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 324666

well after that news here is my current roster prediction. I fully expect this to be proven wrong by tomorrow
What news? Are you talking about the 80s Turtles stuff we were just talking about?

Anyway, my predictions, excluding the obvious silhouttes on the box, are:
LA Dora (silhouette on box)
Garfield (silhouette on box)
Jenny Wakeman
Jimmy Neutron OR Timmy Turner. Not both
Rocko
Third Avatar rep
Either only 2 turtles, or one half 80s and the other half Rise

I also think that if we get DLC, Hugh and Jenny (assuming the latter isn't base game) are nigh-inevitable.

Tommy/Chuckie/Angelica are hard disconfirmed in my eyes.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
View attachment 324666

well after that news here is my current roster prediction. I fully expect this to be proven wrong by tomorrow
Eh... no, theres a good amount of non 90s content.
To start- I cannot consider Spongebob to be 90s- it was barely the 90s, and it is evergreen.
Hey Arnold, Catdog, Rugrats, Wild Thornberries, Ren and Stimpy, Ahh Real monsters- all 90s.
Turtles are 80s or 10's, Avatar is 00s/Korra is 10s, Danny Phantom is 00s, Zim is 00s, Loud House is 10s (and considering the sexual assault charges being the reason this show was cancelled, I'm not sure then why we wouldn't have Timmy or Jimmy).

So... I don't see much 90s favortism, or any argument that we will mostly get 90s content.

And for the record- I really do not think we will start off with four turtles. Maybe as DLC- but with so few characters, I doubt it... especially to reveal them in halves; it's a waste to hold off announcing them later- either do them all at once, or build the suspense by not having them all in.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What news? Are you talking about the 80s Turtles stuff we were just talking about?

Anyway, my predictions, excluding the obvious silhouttes on the box, are:
LA Dora (silhouette on box)
Garfield (silhouette on box)
Jenny Wakeman
Jimmy Neutron
Rocko
Third Avatar rep
Either only 2 turtles, or one half 80s and the other half Rise

I also think that if we get DLC, Hugh and Jenny (assuming the latter isn't base game) are nigh-inevitable.

I'm not confident in Timmy and I frankly can't shake why. I just get the feeling he's not gonna make it.

Tommy/Chuckie/Angelica are hard disconfirmed in my eyes.
Neither are confirmed. I don't know why they would include the live action Dora unless Nick either wants to turn it into a series or the Nick execs rejected the cartoon version because they don't want people to beat her up. Nick Jr. characters are typically excluded from Nick crossover titles. Also, what you're saying is Garfield might be someone else like Krumm from Aah! Real Monsters and some people have even said that it's Angelica from Rugrats.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Neither are confirmed. I don't know why they would include the live action Dora unless Nick either wants to turn it into a series or the Nick execs rejected the cartoon version because they don't want people to beat her up. Nick Jr. characters are typically excluded from Nick crossover titles. Also, what you're saying is Garfield might be someone else like Krumm from Aah! Real Monsters and some people have even said that it's Angelica from Rugrats.
That's why I listed them at all - to say it's my prediction for who those silhouettes are.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
The Loud House wasn't cancelled.
he also insists the game won't have a 90's bias even though it clearly already does. Just ignore him

come to think of it though, it kind of conflicts to have live action Dora in a roster prediction due to the basic version not being something Nick would maybe want to be in a fighting game, but then at the same time include any of the Rugrats and have it be ok despite them being toddlers? Maybe I should rework it.....

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
he also insists the game won't have a 90's bias even though it clearly already does. Just ignore him
Yeah. It's gotten me thinking that some more popular characters might be excluded in favor of characters from 90s shows, like Timmy Turner or Jimmy Neutron. We only have 6 21st century characters, and all come from very popular Nicktoons, those being Zim, Danny, Aang, Korra, Lincoln, and Lucy, so only 5 21st century Nicktoons are represented so far. Also Korra's series was a continuation of Avatar: The Last Airbender, which is easily one of the most popular and recognizable Nicktoons.

Top Bottom