• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Honestly the Tennis game is an oddity, but one that I do think can be written off.

What it reminds me a lot of is the issue Blue Beetle was in at the end of the 90s/dawn of the early 00s. The creative team behind the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons really wanted to have Blue Beetle appear, but corporate forbade it due to potential legal issues. What issues? Back before Blue Beetle was owned by DC, he was owned by Charleston, who had their catalogue purchased by DC when they went under. However, during the 50s, Charleston licensed Blue Beetle to a radio show company, and DC was now worried that a licensing deal from decades ago could cost them a fortune in royalties. But the Justice League team was confused...why was Blue Beetle allowed in the comics, then?

Because the comics were MUCH more low-key and less likely to end in a lawsuit. A cartoon on TV? Too many eyes. Lawsuit city.

Basically, skirting international copyright laws is risky, but if it's something that very few people will see, companies sometimes just... do it. Random shovelware mobile game? Eh, who cares?

But a console-level platform fighter that everyone is going to be looking at? Yeah, THAT'S a problem.

But the issue is even more exacerbated because with the Blue Beetle stuff, it was a single company...the rights to the Fairly OddParents are owned by at least three different companies on a worldwide scale. And the big one isn't even Nelvana.

It's Disney.

Because the show aired on Jetix and even Disney XD in certain territories, their hands are in the mix too. And because the game isn't region locked and is available everywhere, they need all of the worldwide rights to all of the characters. We know for a fact that international copyright issues kept someone out during NASB1. The Fairly OddParents is the only show where this can apply, as Doug, who also has rights issues, is just straight up owned by Disney worldwide now. The fact that they specified "international" makes it "Fairly" clear who it's about.
I don't think Disney are holding back Timmy, all that is is a syndication agreement - Rugrats aired on CBBC but you don't see the British government intervening in NASB, not to mention the channels that aired TMNT and Garfield stuff before the buyout - that being said, the Blue Beetle thing explains a lot.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm not sure if any of those companies still have active contracts with those properties though, like I think Nickelodeon/Viacom basically owns the TMNT licensing permissions outright, and likely its the same for Garfield. Not to mention those shows were syndicated, where they don't really have the ability to do much with those properties besides air them and maybe make promos.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I don't think Disney are holding back Timmy, all that is is a syndication agreement - Rugrats aired on CBBC but you don't see the British government intervening in NASB, not to mention the channels that aired TMNT and Garfield stuff before the buyout - that being said, the Blue Beetle thing explains a lot.
disney probably has more power than the british government certainly more brains

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Yeah I'm not sure if Disney would really have any rights on Timmy. For example, I live in Québec and we don't have a Nickelodeon channel so most Nickelodeon's show were either on Teletoon (which is own by Corus entertainment) or a channel called Vrak which is own by Bell media, which is freaking big in Canada. That being said, I don't think they had to deal with Bell Media to add characters from the game. I don't think Disney would own anything related to FoP just because they aired the shows in a few country (mostly Latin America and a few European country I think).

That being said, on the topic of Timmy honestly I pretty much lost hope that he's ever going to be in those game at this point. I mean, the character is so big that it's obvious that he would be super high priority now that the franchise have 2 games with both having dlc too. If it happens I'll be super happy, but at this point I just don't want to expect it happening.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honestly the Tennis game is an oddity, but one that I do think can be written off.

What it reminds me a lot of is the issue Blue Beetle was in at the end of the 90s/dawn of the early 00s. The creative team behind the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited cartoons really wanted to have Blue Beetle appear, but corporate forbade it due to potential legal issues. What issues? Back before Blue Beetle was owned by DC, he was owned by Charleston, who had their catalogue purchased by DC when they went under. However, during the 50s, Charleston licensed Blue Beetle to a radio show company, and DC was now worried that a licensing deal from decades ago could cost them a fortune in royalties. But the Justice League team was confused...why was Blue Beetle allowed in the comics, then?

Because the comics were MUCH more low-key and less likely to end in a lawsuit. A cartoon on TV? Too many eyes. Lawsuit city.

Basically, skirting international copyright laws is risky, but if it's something that very few people will see, companies sometimes just... do it. Random shovelware mobile game? Eh, who cares?

But a console-level platform fighter that everyone is going to be looking at? Yeah, THAT'S a problem.

But the issue is even more exacerbated because with the Blue Beetle stuff, it was a single company...the rights to the Fairly OddParents are owned by at least three different companies on a worldwide scale. And the big one isn't even Nelvana.

It's Disney.

Because the show aired on Jetix and even Disney XD in certain territories, their hands are in the mix too. And because the game isn't region locked and is available everywhere, they need all of the worldwide rights to all of the characters. We know for a fact that international copyright issues kept someone out during NASB1. The Fairly OddParents is the only show where this can apply, as Doug, who also has rights issues, is just straight up owned by Disney worldwide now. The fact that they specified "international" makes it "Fairly" clear who it's about.

You are freaking telling me that Timmy is in a similar boat as Sora was back in Smash?

Man, writers are so unoriginal these days

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So when do we expect the first DLC character to be revealed? Especially considering that they may have been leaked, so we might already know who's coming.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
User was warned for this post
So when do we expect the first DLC character to be revealed? Especially considering that they may have been leaked, so we might already know who's coming.
What are you on about this time? Back up your sources or stop pulling stuff out of your ass.

Azula looks dope, I can't wait for her spotlight!

Also... it just occured to me that Gerald's stage not being Gerald Field is a huuuge missed opportunity

This is correct

....also why has his reveal STILL not been uploaded to the official account?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
What are you on about this time? Back up your sources or stop pulling stuff out of your ass.
I was talking about that DLC list that was leaked earlier, from the same guy that listed which veterans were considered and which ones were not. I was wondering that since we might already know who the DLC is (Skulker, Carl, Dib, and Casey) I was wondering when we'll get the first DLC reveal, and which one will get revealed.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I was talking about that DLC list that was leaked earlier, from the same guy that listed which veterans were considered and which ones were not. I was wondering that since we might already know who the DLC is (Skulker, Carl, Dib, and Casey) I was wondering when we'll get the first DLC reveal, and which one will get revealed.
I thought that list was stated to be false?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I thought that list was stated to be false?
I don't think that it's actually been proven false yet, because none of the DLC have been revealed and no one else has said anything about who exactly the DLC characters are. Plus it fits with the insiders claiming that the DLC is "underwhelming".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Azula looks dope, I can't wait for her spotlight!

Also... it just occured to me that Gerald's stage not being Gerald Field is a huuuge missed opportunity

It's sad too because I think this is easily one of the most iconic episodes of the show!

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I don't think that it's actually been proven false yet, because none of the DLC have been revealed and no one else has said anything about who exactly the DLC characters are. Plus it fits with the insiders claiming that the DLC is "underwhelming".
We don't have any proof that it's real either, so there's no point in bringing it up constantly.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I did a little research. A voice actress named Suzie Yeung voices Azula in GameMill's Avatar game, and it sounds identical. Looks like Grey stepped down from the role.
Kinda weird how no one from TLA reprised their role.

I can understand Aang and Toph, they grew out of the role. But Azula? that's weird.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Seeing the roster of Nick All Star 2 makes it look like a reboot and not a second installment.

It has the exact same number of fighters as in NASB 1 after DLC finished in the first game.
(Both have 25 fighters)

Many fighters feel like replacements. Azula over Toph, Squidward over Sandy, Gerald over Helga, the turtles were literally swapped.

KatKit

Smash Lord
It's sad too because I think this is easily one of the most iconic episodes of the show!
Yep! And it's a recurring location that's been in the movie and like 6 other episodes

I did a little research. A voice actress named Suzie Yeung voices Azula in GameMill's Avatar game, and it sounds identical. Looks like Grey stepped down from the role.
She voices Eula (Genshin Impact) and Makima! I knew it was her but she does a pretty good impression

Seeing the roster of Nick All Star 2 makes it look like a reboot and not a second installment.
Only if one ignores the other new content added to the game (story mode/boss fights/new mechanics/cross-platform play/more alternate costumes/etc.); it's bigger in every way

They took the fighting game roster approach over the platform fighter one. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Veterans were updated visually and mechanically, and the characters are less homogenized from a gameplay perspective

Considering the budget/dev team size/time constraints, this sequel is nothing short of remarkable, IMO. And the roster will increase over time

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I don't think it's ever gonna stop until they add some of the cut veterans back into the game, whether it be as free updates or full on paid DLC.
You're one of the people constantly instigating the needless cut talk, so you really shouldn't be saying "I don't think it's gonna stop until..." when you have the power to help stop it.

Unless you're intentionally trying to keep the cut discussion in circulation for whatever reason, which I've suspected of at least a few users for a while.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't think it's ever gonna stop until they add some of the cut veterans back into the game, whether it be as free updates or full on paid DLC.
What's done is done. Complaining about cuts is not going to change anything, it just derails normal talk on the game at this point. (and did before, but now we can talk about the roster that is in)

Of the new characters that got in, I'm pretty happy with finally seeing the Beavers in, to me that's a big positive. And we finally have Jimmy, and all that, There's lots to talk about for the ones we got.

I'm curious who will be people's favorites with the base roster. I already know mine but I need to play quite a few to see how they feel too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well they aren't just going to magically get the resources to remake 11 cut vets, since they only have 4 DLC characters planned for now.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Well they aren't just going to magically get the resources to remake 11 cut vets, since they only have 4 DLC characters planned for now.
And right now I'm think that the Season Pass characters are all we're getting as far as additional characters goes.

FazDude

Smash Master
I feel like people don't really focus on this much; AFAIK 98% of the game was remade compared to NASB 1, so it isn't just a matter of porting over the cut characters and adding a few moves. You'd basically have to make them from the ground-up. I can see a handful of veterans being added back in, but all eleven is probably a no-go.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
It'll stop once you stop coming in every day to derail the topic back to the cut characters.

Yes, you. There's a few other people who keep coming in to complain about it, but for the most part it's almost exclusively you turning this thread into a constant dooming session. You don't have the right to say "it's never gonna stop" when you're the one who keeps starting it up in the first place.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I feel like people don't really focus on this much; AFAIK 98% of the game was remade compared to NASB 1, so it isn't just a matter of porting over the cut characters and adding a few moves. You'd basically have to make them from the ground-up. I can see a handful of veterans being added back in, but all eleven is probably a no-go.
I do think that if we get any of them back, it would only be a small amount of the total eleven. The rest might have to wait until NASB3, although there is at least KR4 they can get into.

Faso115

Smash Lord
They went surprisingly light on Jimmy Neutron content. If leaks didn't happen, i would have expected a second character (due to the horse being more than beaten, i'm not bringing up Hugh)

It's hard to come up with a second given how....unusual these games priorities are but i like when a series doesn't have an obvious second pick. Carl, Sheen, Cindy or hell even Calamitous have a good shot at being the second JN rep.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It'll stop once you stop coming in every day to derail the topic back to the cut characters.

Yes, you. There's a few other people who keep coming in to complain about it, but for the most part it's almost exclusively you turning this thread into a constant dooming session. You don't have the right to say "it's never gonna stop" when you're the one who keeps starting it up in the first place.
smash fans when they realize what's necessary in order for a fighting game sequel to have newcomers PLUS improved veteran movesets (I think it rhymes with butts or something)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
smash fans when they realize what's necessary in order for a fighting game sequel to have newcomers PLUS improved veteran movesets (I think it rhymes with butts or something)
Hut? Wouldn't be the first crossover to do that licensing deal.

and that one had some really stupid cuts in the second game lmao. if you think nasb 2 cuts are bad, you should see sonic racing transformed's cuts. they removed almost every remotely interesting or fun character

in all seriousness though, you are very correct.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I definitely want to see the Beavers, but also curious about what's changed for ZIM and how GIR is going to work.

Also Reptar. They keeping that down special?

Last edited:
Top Bottom