• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
honestly i 'd be mostly okay with this but I don't think we need a third danny phantom rep and cutting hugh only to add Carl feels weird. fake though though so
In total fairness to Carl, if Hugh was cut late into development like many folks believe, then it's entirely possible they planned for him to be a third Jimmy Neutron character, which is a lot more reasonable. But with Hugh being dropped mid-development he kind of just...became the second lmao.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Honestly Carl would be such a sick pick and anyone who thinks otherwise can fight me.
Anyway Danny looks so much better in this game holy ****. Not only are his animations actually readable this time, but his moveset looks FUN and not stupid. That command grab in particular looks goofy as hell, and it looks like he can act out of teleport? Very exciting stuff. I do wish his Aerial Down Strong was changed since the old one allowed for some pretty degen platform camping, but this one looks to have landing lag, so hopefully that won't be an issue. Danny's definitely a character I'm excited to give a spin, and he might be in contention for my main if his moves fit together nicely. (I did say that last time, though, so I'm not holding my breath.)

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Honestly, when it comes to a second Jimmy Neutron character (sans Hugh) who would you pick between Carl, Sheen and Cindy?

I would say Carl myself, he has a bit of a memetic edge. Sheen also is a meme goldmine, plus he had his own spin-off if that even counts.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Honestly, when it comes to a second Jimmy Neutron character (sans Hugh) who would you pick between Carl, Sheen and Cindy?

I would say Carl myself, he has a bit of a memetic edge. Sheen also is a meme goldmine, plus he had his own spin-off if that even counts.
I think I'd rather have Hugh back over anything else, but if I had to pick, yeah probably Carl. He's probably got the funniest stuff to pull from.

Cindy seems like she'd be a fun darkhorse pick but I don't really know how she'd play or what she'd do. Sheen can stay the hell out. He knows what he did.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
honestly i 'd be mostly okay with this but I don't think we need a third danny phantom rep and cutting hugh only to add Carl feels weird. fake though though so
Yeah. It would just show heavy favoritism towards Danny Phantom as well as the 2000s in general. Although currently has the most newcomers of all the decades at 5 it also suffered the most cuts, with them also suffering five cuts (Helga, Oblina, CatDog, Sandy, and PTM) so there was no net change in the numbers of 90s reps. The 2000s meanwhile only had two cuts (Hugh and Toph) and gained four new characters with Jimmy, Azula, El Tigre, and Ember, for a net gain of two characters. This DLC list would only make it worse as it's 3/4 2000s with one 80s rep thrown in. That would make 7/15 total newcomers hail from the 2000s, which is almost half of the total number of newcomers. Danny Phantom itself also got a lot of favoritism this game, with one newcomer, two brand new stages, and two bosses, including the final boss. Only SBSP compares to it in how much attention it got. And now it might possibly get another newcomer and stage on top of that.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Carl's easily my go-to. He was always my favorite character on the show. Sheen would be alright, but Planet Sheen's existence kind of turned me off from him, to be honest. Cindy I can't see being interesting at all since she's just kind of annoying.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'd probably go with Cindy, I think she can do a lot with the Karate and she's a very cool character overall. Sheen could be very fun too, I know people started to hate him because of the spin off but in the context of the show he's super funny.

Honestly Carl I don't really care about, I also think his personnality wouldn't really fit a fighting game unless they made him a joke fighter.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This is NASB, they're almost all joke fighters.
Hum not really, or at least not in the same way Carl would be imo.

Take SpongeBob for example. He's not a fighter in his show, far from it, but you could describe his personnality with saying that he's optimistic, hyperactive, which are personnality traits that are easy to work with in a fighting context (to compare with Smash, Mario is fairly similar).

Carl is the complete opposite, he's shy and very anxious. The whole joke of his character is how weak he is and that he become sick to everything. For me it wouldn't lend itself to a cool fighters moveset unless he's a joke and you made him weak on purpose.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

I would choose Carl as well.

His Super/Final Smash would be either the llama or the giant burp:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Your profile says you were born in 1997, so you would've been in the Nick demographic at that time, there isn't really a "I may have... but" here.
Yeah it's really not that surprising, I'm born in 1998 and it's pretty obvious that I remember more foundly of show that aired when I was 5 to 10 years old than show that aired when I was 1 or 2 years old you probably wouldn't even watch that much (maybe even not at all) tv at that age so...

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Your profile says you were born in 1997, so you would've been in the Nick demographic at that time, there isn't really a "I may have... but" here.
Man when I was three I wasn't watching Rocket Power and SpongeBob I was watching Franklin and Dora and the like.

The profile is also inaccurate, I was born in 96, but the point remains the same I started watching Nicktoons cartoons around 6 or 7, around when Fairly Oddparents first premiered. I had access to Nicktoons Network so I was able to watch the 90s stuff but I always preferred the stuff from the main network.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Jimmy Neutron is my favorite Nicktoon so I would be happy with literally any rep.

I'd much rather have Hugh return since he was my personal favorite character from the show, but if ANYONE has to replace Hugh, I'd be happy if it was Carl, my second favorite from the show.

Sheen's cool too and I'd be happy if he made it in, though due to how bad Planet Sheen was, I hate to admit that it kind of turns me off from wanting him just a little bit. Honestly, as far as Jimmy Neutron reps go, Cindy would probably be worst case scenario. She's not a bad character but I feel like she would be painfully boring in the grand scheme of things, and in a show with so many unique and interesting characters, Cindy making the cut would be very underwhelming for me.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm not surprised they didn't cover Gerald's reveal, Plankton and Gertie didn't get any coverage either.
I thought Gertie did get one?

Well, if we're being selective, I'm not opposed to the Beavers getting on the front page lol

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
I thought Gertie did get one?

Well, if we're being selective, I'm not opposed to the Beavers getting on the front page lol
I checked, but couldn't find Gerties article, just the ones for the beavers, Ember and El tigre. Squidward and Jimmy were both included in the article talking about NASB2's official reveal.

Edit: Interesting fact: but Ember's article has a lot more views then Tigre's and the beavers articles

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Speaking of view, I was curious to see how much views showcase are getting. So I compiled them in order from most viewed to least viewed (on GameMill official channel). It's not an exact metric of popularity (there's also a obvious biais with older showcase getting much more views) but still interesting:

Patrick Star: 113k views
Plankton: 105k views
Spongebob: 103k views
Squidward: 99k views
Garfield 93k views
Ren & Stimpy: 92k views
El Tigre: 78k views
Jimmy Neutron: 75k views
Aang: 68,8k views
Raphael: 68,2k views
April O Neil: 50k views
Donatello: 49k views
Nigel: 46k views
Ember: 43k views
Gertie: 39k views
Danny Phantom: 27k views

Also I'm not going to compile them all but just for curiosity, top 5 most viewed showcase from the first game (from most to least): Aang, Ren & Stimpy, Korra, SpongeBob, Danny Phantom
Top 5 least viewed (from least to most): Shredder, Rocko, Toph, Jenny, April O Neil

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Someone tell whoever does the front news page articles they forgot to do one for Gerald.
Weirdly they also don't have his trailer on GameMill's YT channel.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Speaking of view, I was curious to see how much views showcase are getting. So I compiled them in order from most viewed to least viewed (on GameMill official channel). It's not an exact metric of popularity (there's also a obvious biais with older showcase getting much more views) but still interesting:

Garfield 93k views

Also I'm not going to compile them all but just for curiosity, top 5 most viewed showcase from the first game (from most to least): Aang, Ren & Stimpy, Korra, SpongeBob, Danny Phantom
Top 5 least viewed (from least to most): Shredder, Rocko, Toph, Jenny, April O Neil
And Gerald got 56k views on void's channel.
interesting to list them and see them in order.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Garfield 93k views

The other thing to also note is that some of the show cases, like Nigel and Gertie, premiered on other channels, which definitely affected the view count.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I noticed that too. It's weird considering how positive the response to Gerald has been.
I think that it's mostly from the black community, who are excited to have a character who looks like them in the game.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think it was a marketing choice to put it on void's channel, but it's still curious they didn't add it to theirs by now.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Yes because I need to look like the character I play as to enjoy them in a game, please note my intensely spiky anime hair and oversized yellow shoes. Jesus Christ do you not understand how tone deaf that makes you?
I mean, judging from twitter, a lot of black creators and the community were pretty happy with Gerald's inclusion. Some even took digs at smash (a topic that comes up a lot there, but remember that it's twitter after all)

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think that it's mostly from the black community, who are excited to have a character who looks like them in the game.
Yes because I need to look like the character I play as to enjoy them in a game, please note my intensely spiky anime hair and oversized yellow shoes. Jesus Christ do you not understand how tone deaf that makes you?
Going to have to ask for the conversation to stop here as we all can see where this could be heading. Additional replies/continued discussion will be met with Spam Warnings.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I don't want to go to much into this debate because I know it could get heated, but black people being happy with Gerald is much more complex than just "he looks like me!". I think it's legitimate that people are happy to have representation other than white in a game.

Edit: Oh well bad timing, mods don't ban me please, but I'm not going to delete my message because I think this a important topic.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Hey Arnold is a show with an ensemble cast that has depth or was given time in the spotlight. Arnold is someone who would normally be a secondary character by conventions of the genre but is actually the protagonist. And in-universe, Gerald is the leader/class president of the gang; he's not the title character but on any other show he'd be the main one. He's well-informed/very perceptive, having interpersonal skills that even surpass Arnold's, except he's more fun-loving and pessimistic/realistic. He's business-savvy, athletic, and a performer. He's also snarky like Helga. Arnold is a character who gives guidance/support to others, but Gerald is a character who gives advice to Arnold. He's a middle child with an annoying younger sibling he's a good role model to, and an older one he clashes with but also deeply cares for. He's very relatable. He's awesome, and pretty much anyone should be excited for his inclusion. He ended up having a super fun looking moveset, too! I popped off when I saw his bike attack because he overcame his fear of riding them on the show and that's a neat little reference. But I digress, Gerald is also unapologetically black and representation matters.

On a different note, I'm hoping we get to see Korra's spotlight soon

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Exactly 4 weeks until the game comes out!

Gonna risk a spam warning for this, because I think it needs to be said.

Yep, Gerald was added for diversity's sake - that is a fact, irrefutable - and that's a good thing. When people say "I want characters that look like me", it's not because they're stubborn and can't enjoy a non-black character, it's just because well... they like having characters who look like themselves, and not being portrayed as "others". Keep in mind that both gaming and cartoons have a really bad history of shoddy and offensive POC representation (including Nickelodeon's own Tak & The Power of Juju), so characters like Gerald and El Tigre who are unapologetically in touch with their cultures but not exaggerated or composited with other unrelated cultures are very important to people, because it tells them that they're not weird or outliers, and introduces people not in that group to aspects of their culture.

I'll use myself as an example, I'm aromantic, almost all of my favourite characters are alloromantic - and that's OK - but if aromantic characters started popping up in games, portrayed as themselves, openly talking about their aromance and not being labeled "abominations to be cured", I would be extremely happy, it wouldn't automatically make a character my favourite, even within their entire franchise, and it could be a POS game for all I care, but it would be a sign that my orientation is being recognized. Think of it like you would a fandom - most people want their characters in Smash because they want their games to be recognized and introduced to people, minorities want to see their identities and cultures in media for the exact same reason, but on a much bigger scale with much bigger stakes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom