• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel like the whole "sugar rush" thing would make a lot more sense if they used cups of coffee instead of what appears to be bowls of sugar, given that's probably his second most iconic food behind lar-sa-gar, and him getting hyper off of it is a running gag.
He does sometimes drink a cup of coffee when he uses Down Special, so there's that.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Nahhh, y'all are trippin' if you don't think that Neutral Special's the funniest thing ever.
It's amusing but feels completely out of character and honestly really lazy as a move choice (something I can say of the El Tigre's neutral special as well). Frankly speaking I'd rather have the old down special back, just moved to side, and kept the pies on neutral. What I'm saying is this feels more like it should be a taunt. WHY does it have reflect properties? What about Garfield changing gives it that? It makes no sense. If you wanna give a reflector property to someone, there are other characters it makes more sense than the stupid cat.

It's a forced reference for the sake of the meme on a character who's entire existence is already a meme in and of itself

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I feel like the whole "sugar rush" thing would make a lot more sense if they used cups of coffee instead of what appears to be bowls of sugar, given that's probably his second most iconic food behind lar-sa-gar, and him getting hyper off of it is a running gag.
I'm willing to bet this was the original concept for the move but was changed because it's too evocative of caffeine addiction.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Shame they seem to have got rid of the Pooky projectile, I really liked that move, but making Garfield an all-rounder of sorts instead of a technical character makes a lot of sense given his wide appeal.
i'm near confident that move will return in some fashion just bc of how the movesets have been shuffled - either as a analogous projectile in another character's kit, or perhaps as an item in and of itself (?)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's amusing but feels completely out of character and honestly really lazy as a move choice (something I can say of the El Tigre's neutral special as well). Frankly speaking I'd rather have the old down special back, just moved to side, and kept the pies on neutral. What I'm saying is this feels more like it should be a taunt. WHY does it have reflect properties? What about Garfield changing gives it that? It makes no sense. If you wanna give a reflector property to someone, there are other characters it makes more sense than the stupid cat.

It's a forced reference for the sake of the meme on a character who's entire existence is already a meme in and of itself
Simple answer: They felt a shine would fit Garfield's new playstyle, and chose to give it a humorous theming because it's a humorous character in a humorous game. Pooky only worked with Garfield's original lockdown/reverse-zoner archetype, it wouldn't work with the all-rounder type of Garfield in this game.

Also uh... how is it out of character for Garfield to... turn into an old version of Garfield? Hell, I'd argue that being able to reflect projectiles by just sitting down is as on-character for the Garf as it gets.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When does he even does this?
he doesn't, not in the comics anyway, but the entire tone of the source material is that slapstick cartoonishness where he can will do anything

point being just because he’s never done something before doesn’t mean it’s out of character for him

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Garfield interacting with old Garfield (or just straight up turning into him for a gag) is a thing that's happened before and it's always hilarious; now we can recreate it in-game!

This is a character that they put a lot of love in, as far as references go. I actually think the workaround is better than what they originally planned, it's funny and not out of character at all

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Also uh... how is it out of character for Garfield to... turn into an old version of Garfield? Hell, I'd argue that being able to reflect projectiles by just sitting down is as on-character for the Garf as it gets.
Typically speaking characters can't morph into older versions of themselves unless their body is malleable like say a sponge.

And don't say something stupid like all cartoons are malleable just because of visual gags. Garfield is for all intents and purposes a pretty grounded world. It doesn't make any sense for him to just suddenly morph and then gain an aura that changes the laws of physics.

It's a forced meme reference, that's all it is. And you're free to enjoy it, but stop trying to pretend it's more than it is.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Typically speaking characters can't morph into older versions of themselves unless their body is malleable like say a sponge.

And don't say something stupid like all cartoons are malleable just because of visual gags. Garfield is for all intents and purposes a pretty grounded world. It doesn't make any sense for him to just suddenly morph and then gain an aura that changes the laws of physics.

It's a forced meme reference, that's all it is. And you're free to enjoy it, but stop trying to pretend it's more than it is.
garfield has been shown to morph before https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1988/08/07

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman

i’d argue the shine is plenty perfunctory - and i think its a neat bow on what is (imo) a pretty brilliant character design
the idea that garfield is a rushdown who has to be COERCED into doing rushdown techniques with treats + food is such a genius way to translate him into this setting
the joke (to me) is that playstyle being grafted onto garfield , a character so inherently lethargic and the means with which he accomplishes it w/ sugar rush. the fact he has a shine is just an element of that concept , so rlly whether it manifested as 70s garfield or not, there’s definitely vision behind it.

(( frankly though, if he had the pipe, i think that enigmatic aura that reflects projectiles would fit all the more. ))

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think something that could have been similar but would make more sense is if Garfield could use Odie as a shield, it would fit Garfield wanting to hurt Odie to protect himself, and the Odie's model is already done so...

dlewis53

Smash Lord
To be honest, I don't really care about how "out-of-character" the Neutral Special is because:

A. It's hilarious.

B. It's a nice nod towards Garfield's original design.

C. As others have pointed out, it fits with Garfield's new playstyle.

D. It's literally only one move. I'm not going to get my pants in a twist over one move.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Morphing into his 70's design just to be funny sounds like something Garfield would do if he could. So he is.

I still wish they had allowed the pipe. Maybe it wouldn't feel so out of place if it was more explicit as a meme reference rather than the "yeah now he's just randomly his 70's design" feel it has without the pipe.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

lmao why have you consistently been so toxic about Garfield of all characters.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
When you look a that comic, it seems like a better animation idea would be for him to turn buff to punch projectiles away.

Also more news:
oh we multiversus now

in all seriousness, I know this is story mode - makes sense with the whole roguelike thing. What's the character between Raph and the diec? I thought it was Lube from CatDog at first, but we already know they aren't back

Typically speaking characters can't morph into older versions of themselves unless their body is malleable like say a sponge
You know Pac-Man didn't do that in any of his games until after Smash, right?

Last edited:

Sammerbro44

Smash Apprentice
When you look a that comic, it seems like a better animation idea would be for him to turn buff to punch projectiles away.

Also more news:
Looks like you earn slime through the story mode and can use it to buy this game's equivalent of "spirits" ala Ultimate. Reminds me of the "pit crew" idea the Nick Kart Racers goes with. I like it! It gives the oppurtunity for non-playable characters to make an appearance in the game. Also, is Nora standing on the vehicle in Tremorton Joyride? Or is it a story mode thing?

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Foot Soldier and Jellyfish enemies on the Steam Page.

King Jellyfish boss confirmed and a look at the map screen + possibly casual form Irken

You can see Zim's house, a clockwork fountain, and some kind of Tardis parody (art style looks like Ren & Stimpy?) on the map.

EDIT: Looked it up, the Time Booth is from Jimmy Neutron

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Looks like you earn slime through the story mode and can use it to buy this game's equivalent of "spirits" ala Ultimate. Reminds me of the "pit crew" idea the Nick Kart Racers goes with. I like it! It gives the oppurtunity for non-playable characters to make an appearance in the game. Also, is Nora standing on the vehicle in Tremorton Joyride? Or is it a story mode thing?
From the looks of it these are more comparable to the Perks in Multiversus than Ultimate's spirits. Yeah, they're straight up taking mechanics from Multiversus.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
From the looks of it these are more comparable to the Perks in Multiversus than Ultimate's spirits. Yeah, they're straight up taking mechanics from Multiversus.
This is literally just how roguelike stuff works lmao. If you want a fighting game example then Idol Showdown literally did the exact same thing for its roguelike mode.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It also looks like Jenny's getting a new stage instead of them bringing back Tremorton Joyride, as Dr. Wakeman is now running the Perk Shop in the Campaign Mode.

Top Bottom