• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
yeah that is one of the cuts I think would maybe be a bit much
Yeah. If people were mad about cuts now, cutting Danny Phantom of all characters would make the community even more furious about the cuts than they already are.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Other fighting games aren't that different. Go over to Tekken 8 and its roster being leaked, a lot of people are lamenting how many characters they are missing. The thing is, 32 characters is an insane number for a modern fighting game and i'm more than satisfied, but i can understand when staples are cut, especially with certain reception to a few characters (Panda for example gets a similar reaction like Gertie in this game)

I'm not going to get started on Mortal Kombat, the whole mileena debacle last game soured me on roster speculation in that game. Doesn't game that 2 years worth of DLC was datamined for M1K.
Honestly it feels like the only way reasonable you can avoid criticisms or anger from cuts is to not make sequels. Just make one game and continuously add more content to it. Like League of Legends.

I say reasonable because games like Smash Ultimate shouldn't be seen as a standard but instead an exception considering how much work it must've taken to make such a huge roster with no cuts.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
TBH Danny would've been tied with the other albino boy for my quickest cut choice - I just think he's kinda forgettable relative to the rest of the roster, which is probably just a me thing because superheroes and naughties edge aren't my vibe - that being said, even for me, having Vlad or Ember without him doesn't really make sense. A superhero show is a case where the protagonist should 9 times out of 10 come first.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that is super confused as to why there can only be two playable characters from Danny Phantom?

It'd be one thing if they could legally only use two characters in the game and have no reference to any other characters. But Vlad has a fully functioning moveset, to the point where playtesters thought he was playable if leaks are to be believed. It's just weird that the devs have full rights to add Vlad in as a boss with his full moveset intact, but cannot simply make him playable. Same goes for Shredder tbh. It just seems needlessly restrictive for no real reason.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
View attachment 378103
Shuddering thinking about the discourse in the world where they cut Danny
Could be why Danny and Ember still don't have a showcase if there was a lot of change between character.

I wonder if they went back and forth with the Turtles too. But yeah, the way they build the roster for this game is just awful. I seriously don't get how cutting Danny Phantom was even seen as a possibility.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
To be fair, I guess there's a possibility that some sort of hypothetical "future update" could include some bosses as playable? I mean, it seems like it'd be a pretty big update that'd get people talking without too much work post-release, though I don't have anything to back this up, it's just a thought

Baysha

Smash Ace
Am I the only one that is super confused as to why there can only be two playable characters from Danny Phantom?

It'd be one thing if they could legally only use two characters in the game and have no reference to any other characters. But Vlad has a fully functioning moveset, to the point where playtesters thought he was playable if leaks are to be believed. It's just weird that the devs have full rights to add Vlad in as a boss with his full moveset intact, but cannot simply make him playable, Same goes for Shredder tbh. It just seems needlessly restrictive for no real reason.
Pretty sure it's because of dev resources and not a creative/legal decision. Plus, Vlad's moveset might be way too OP for a normal character or it might've just been misleading for the playtesters that saw it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Could be why Danny and Ember still don't have a showcase if there was a lot of change between character.

I wonder if they went back and forth with the Turtles too. But yeah, the way they build the roster for this game is just awful. I seriously don't get how cutting Danny Phantom was even seen as a possibility.
It's looking more and more like they really should've polished the NASB1 assets instead of throwing most of them away.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Like, cutting someone like Lincoln is weird as **** but at the very least, his sisters are also a major part of the show so the spirit of his series is still there in some way.

I couldn't possibly imagine how you would justify cutting Danny Phantom, you know, the main character of DANNY PHANTOM.

Last edited:

AreJay25

To be fair, I guess there's a possibility that some sort of hypothetical "future update" could include some bosses as playable? I mean, it seems like it'd be a pretty big update that'd get people talking without too much work post-release, though I don't have anything to back this up, it's just a thought
I suppose they could do it? Only other game I can think of that did something along those lines is Tekken Tag 2 with Unknown. If they're pretty close to playable then I don't see why they can't make it work.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Pretty sure it's because of dev resources and not a creative/legal decision. Plus, Vlad's moveset might be way too OP for a normal character or it might've just been misleading for the playtesters that saw it.
The way that it was worded by insiders was that they had a hard limit for playable characters though, to the point where they were considering cutting Danny to make room for Vlad. The leaks also indicated that Vlad was developed with the intention of being playable, but then was cut from the roster. It didn't seem like a resource issue as the devs were working on movesets for all three DP characters with the plans on who they would make playable changing as development progressed. It really seems they were forced to make the decision from some sort of external mandate.

Nick already put some bizarre restrictions on the game from the get-go (canon alts), so it doesn't seem that farfetched that the devs were pigeonholed into having a hard limit of playable characters for certain franchises. The only question is why.

Last edited:

AreJay25

So, like.... if Vlad WAS playable from the jump...

... who was planned to be the main big bad of the story? Dark Danny? lol

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was wondering if there were gonna be any npcs from that series mind if it is odie he wouldn't need many talk sprites

i hope jon arbuckle is playable he seems like he'd be a fun inclusion
ah i see you are a person of taste

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The fact we have such hard info about the dlc and people who clearly know what it is, mixed with one of the leakers seemingly just... having files

Makes me think the DLC speculation will also be cut short, maybe even in the files itself before the game drops.

My guesses would be
Stu Pickles, Luan Loud, Heffer Wolfe, and Sheen
Stu would actually be a sick second Rugrats character and I genuinely wouldn't be mad.
View attachment 378103
Shuddering thinking about the discourse in the world where they cut Danny
I don't mind the cuts myself, but what the hell even is their roster-building process that the Danny Phantom characters got swapped around three times in active development?
On a semi-related note, I wouldn't mind an NASB with no playable main characters. I don't wish for it, nor do I think it's what's best for the series, but I wouldn't immediately write off a SpongeBob- or Danny Phantom-less NASB like most would. If anything, I think it'd make for some interesting picks and force the devs to really flex their creative muscle.
Honestly it feels like the only way reasonable you can avoid criticisms or anger from cuts is to not make sequels. Just make one game and continuously add more content to it. Like League of Legends.

I say reasonable because games like Smash Ultimate shouldn't be seen as a standard but instead an exception considering how much work it must've taken to make such a huge roster with no cuts.
Of course, the tradeoff with this approach is that not only do you run the risk of falling into the trap of scummy monetization schemes like a lot of live-service games do, but your fans are also stuck with the same game for all those years, and if you don't like that game, tough beans. You're not getting a new one. Mario Kart fans have been feeling that one for the past decade. Personally, I wouldn't wish something like this on NASB. I'll take cuts, no matter how questionable, for some cool new characters and fresh gameplay.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Pretty sure it's a new one since they started from scratch. NASB 1's engine was fundamentally broken.
As far as I know both NASB1 and NASB2 are on the Unity engine. Although this might be the last Unity engine game in the series considering that Unity recently shot itself in the foot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As far as I know both NASB1 and NASB2 are on the Unity engine. Although this might be the last Unity engine game in the series considering that Unity recently shot itself in the foot.
It's Unity, but the basic code of the game is supposed to be rewritten. And aren't you supposed to be on a break?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So uh why are we getting upset over a decision that didn’t end up happening?

“Why would they cut Danny that’s dumb!” True! Which is why it didn’t happen

Idk why we’re surprised that internally things are discussed that are nothing short of bizarre happen when we were pretty explicitly told before that we almost got Rocksteady (without Bebop) instead of Shredder

“Gameplay ideas/mechanics > Literally anything else” seems to have been their mantra for like ever

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's Unity, but the basic code of the game is supposed to be rewritten. And aren't you supposed to be on a break?
I've recovered from that breakdown I had a few days ago. I decided to return to the site once I decided to resurrect the Lincoln Support Thread that I had deleted earlier as a result of said breakdown.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Idk why we’re surprised that internally things are discussed that are nothing short of bizarre happen when we were pretty explicitly told before that we almost got Rocksteady (without Bebop) instead of Shredder

“Gameplay ideas/mechanics > Literally anything else” seems to have been their mantra for like ever
I kind of agree that good idea should be more important than to fill quota, but there's still some basic that need to be filled and Danny Phantom is one of them. Like, you wouldn't expect SpongeBob to be cut in favor of Mrs. Puff just because Mrs. Puff could have fun mechanics.

And sure at the end of the day the cut didn't happen, but it's still baffling that it's an idea that they had at some point. Like, if Sakurai said that he almost cut Link from Smash Ultiamate I would stil be shocked even if at the end of the day he's still here.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Who knows how serious the consideration was, though. Could have just been one of those things someone in the dev circle suggested as an option and it floated around for five seconds before everyone decided "nah we can't do that".

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Not to sound contrarian, but I honestly do think that at least giving themselves the option of cutting some "obvious" candidates to be able to focus on more mechanical uniqueness and fun concepts could lend to a better final product. I'm admittedly not 100% sure how much NASB2's moveset design and mechanics actually does take from NASB1, but a long-term problem with the Smash series as an example is that veterans are kind of seen as this "necessary" inclusion which results in massive amounts of development time being focused on them as opposed to new innovations and concepts (hence why the "reboot" concept for that series has drawn some popularity in online circles.)

Obviously Danny Phantom himself is a difficult cut to justify from a Nickelodeon-centred game, but if you're looking at a show like The Loud House which does ostensibly have a central protagonist but is pretty much equally defined by a prominent, reoccuring cast of side characters, then I don't think it's too bad a concession to go with a potentially more mechanically unique side character as opposed to having a roster that feels more bland across the board. There's a balance you've gotta strike with that sort of mindset, obviously - cutting Spongebob and replacing him with Mrs. Puff wouldn't work with this kind of justification - but I do think that a degree of openness would help a lot when considering this kind of thing.

tl;dr it shouldn't always be seen as a bad thing to pass up "obvious" candidates compared to more mechanically unique side characters, though on a case-by-case basis. it can be disappointing to miss out on some fan favourites coming back, i won't deny that, but the opportunity for new mechanics is a good one!

Last edited:

Fields - Ultimate's Great

Smash Journeyman

No one's upset. I only find it absurd that Danny Phantom was in the rotation at all. Going off this info, it was a genuine possibility that he got thrown under the bus in favor of Vlad and Ember. The fact that there was a chance at all... man. Not a good sign.

Last edited:
Top Bottom