• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I'm not convinced that this game will add any modern Nick characters as DLC, and that includes more TLH reps.
"but what about Alvin & The Chipmunks?, Bunsen is a Beast? Welcome to the Wayne?, Middlemost Post?, or even The Smurfs?"
-Sadly, No One but me.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
View attachment 348560seems as if dlchar been added for steamdb,and also marketing release was updated 3 days ago so seems like we'll get something fairly soon.
Fairly soon, you say?

JK, JK, I jest. I'm not sure if characters potentially coming before VA, crossplay, or items is a good sign but I still look forwards to seeing what Ludosity has in store.

Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko...

D

Deleted member

Fairly soon, you say?

JK, JK, I jest. I'm not sure if characters potentially coming before VA, crossplay, or items is a good sign but I still look forwards to seeing what Ludosity has in store.

Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko... Please be Rocko...
A character announcement will likely get eyes on the game more than those other things (other than maybe VA) would which is prolly what they need rn.

DeviousFish

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that we're getting any characters until June. All I'm expecting here is the addition of items and crossplay, with voice acting coming in either April or May.
yea,but that really isn't dlc, that's more of an update if anything

D

Deleted member

I haven't been following this game too closely but assuming they've been working on them for a while I could see a character being ready, especially if they're a more "simple" character. Personally betting on Rocko or Jimmy. Maybe Squidward. I think they're gonna hold out on Timmy for a bit.

D

Deleted member

All for wacky choices but Rocksteady without Bebop would have been jarring. Glad they went with Shredder in the end.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I've definitely started to wonder if, while yes Nick/Viacom didn't really fund them much at all, I do wonder if maybe they bit off more than they could chew. Perhaps Nick/Viacom or Gamemill demanded over 20 characters or something but the fact that 2 characters and stages, alts, items and even updated sound effects weren't ready for launch. I wanna believe Ludosity just got dealt the worst hand possible (which I do believe) but I do wonder if things would've fared better if there were, say, 12 characters and stages at launch but with that dev time going towards everything else

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I do wonder if things would've fared better if there were, say, 12 characters and stages at launch but with that dev time going towards everything else
Problem is, the "where's Jimmy/Timmy/Jenny/Rocko" complaints would still be there and then some. There'd be a lot less room for weirdo characters, which is part of the reason why some of us were overlooking this being a cheap licensed game in the first place.

Granted, there are 14 series in the game, so only 2 would seemingly need to be taken out...but what if Nick wanted both SpongeBob and Patrick as SB reps in the base game? What if they still wanted to keep at least 2 turtles?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Problem is, the "where's Jimmy/Timmy/Jenny/Rocko" complaints would still be there and then some. There'd be a lot less room for weirdo characters, which is part of the reason why some of us were overlooking this being a cheap licensed game in the first place.

Granted, there are 14 series in the game, so only 2 would seemingly need to be taken out...but what if Nick wanted both SpongeBob and Patrick as SB reps in the base game? What if they still wanted to keep at least 2 turtles?
give sally and april the boot?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

not saying I'm an authority on this or anything but this is probably who I'd go with in a hypothetical roster reduction

Sandy, April, Korra and Shredder don't feel super essential (whether that's for what they offer gameplay wise or overuse of IP's wise)

Leo and Lincoln feel more like they're here out of obligation than mechanics and merit so I felt Mikey and Lucy were better picks

Helga and R&S are of course popular but I can't see a good argument to keep them in favor of these 12 on a mechanical level

If I could add 2 more characters I'd probably add CatDog and Toph, as they are both more than fitting and deserving to be in as well, I just simply didn't think they were more necessary than any of these 12 (Oblina only barely edged out CatDog simply because she offers more uniqueness gameplay wise)

1648493452150.png

Keep in mind this is just a hypothetical scenario, but the point I'm getting at is I think a narrowed cast like this would've been not only more polished and balanced at launch, but seemed more varied as a result (none of these characters feel like they're repeating an archetype is what I'm getting at)

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I'm personally of the belief that NASB's """"""""failure"""""""" wasn't the fault of anything in the game but just it being the first modern platform fighter to have a fully licensed crossover cast (When I say "modern platform fighter" I mean a game that came out after Rivals and looked to that and Melee as inspiration over the latest Smash.) - to the casual Smash audience this game's premise attracts, not having super moves or assists or a story mode is scary and weird - especially given those things were in PSASBR and CNPTEXL beforehand - but that's just the norm for this genre now, to focus on mechanics/balance and only put in items and bonus modes and such if there's the leftover time to do so. That's what almost all platform fighters are going to do in future with few if any exceptions - including "the NASB killer" itself, Multiversus - and if you want to go back to something content-packed and wacky-feature-filled like PS All-Stars or PTE, all you'll really have is Smash, because Smash appeals to casual fans so well that there's no need for other casual platform fighters. If anything NASB has the most casual appeal of all the post-Rivals platfighters with the majority of the stages being casual, the fast-paced hyperoffensive gameplay, and items having been planned.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm personally of the belief that NASB's """"""""failure"""""""" wasn't the fault of anything in the game but just it being the first modern platform fighter to have a fully licensed crossover cast (When I say "modern platform fighter" I mean a game that came out after Rivals and looked to that and Melee as inspiration over the latest Smash.) - to the casual Smash audience this game's premise attracts, not having super moves or assists or a story mode is scary and weird - especially given those things were in PSASBR and CNPTEXL beforehand - but that's just the norm for this genre now, to focus on mechanics/balance and only put in items and bonus modes and such if there's the leftover time to do so. That's what almost all platform fighters are going to do in future with few if any exceptions - including "the NASB killer" itself, Multiversus - and if you want to go back to something content-packed and wacky-feature-filled like PS All-Stars or PTE, all you'll really have is Smash, because Smash appeals to casual fans so well that there's no need for other casual platform fighters.
I think a lot of them seem to also not understand that SSBU's roster size is the exception, not the rule, for fighting games of any kind, and it was able to be the exception because they had years of assets to reuse. In contrast, the only assets NASB could reuse were...basic Slap City code?

D

Deleted member

Platform fighters are obviously a different beast but I don't think huge rosters are as big a deal to bring new players in as people think. The new Guilty Gear launched with 15 characters and the game did extremely well, and is the most mainstream the series has been in like, forever.

amageish

Smash Master
The game was definitely never going to dominate the more mainstream social spheres Smash operates in for that long. I enjoy playing NASB with my friends still and I look forward to further characters, but I just do not truly have enough Nickelodeon hot takes to get me interested in the 24/7 364 days a year cycles of speculation that Smash Bros cultivates.

And, like, it shouldn't be expected to have that kind of social dominance either. Most fighting games are not being discussed constantly or being streamed with huge numbers on Twitch; it's not a surprise NASB isn't meeting the standard set by the best-selling fighting video game of all time...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And, like, it shouldn't be expected to have that kind of social dominance either.
Unfortunately, we live in a time where games are presumed to either need all the fans or they can't have any. I'm surprised certain games like Deep Rock Galactic are able to form and maintain cult followings despite the current anti-cult following climate.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Apparently this was a patch leak, i don't know what this looks like and after reading through the comments while being aware that it's nighttime at the time of typing this. I don't wanna see anymore.
1648538772033.png

amageish

Smash Master
Unfortunately, we live in a time where games are presumed to either need all the fans or they can't have any. I'm surprised certain games like Deep Rock Galactic are able to form and maintain cult followings despite the current anti-cult following climate.
It's interesting, as I think people love a good cult classic or hidden gem... provided the game is already ~5+ years old? People love hearing about interesting older titles that may be a bit jank, but clearly have passion put into them and do something interesting with the formula they follow.

For modern games though, the focus is very much on blockbusters or indies that "transcend" their budgeting... and even then, you can't have multiple blockbusters come out near each other without people pitting them against each other, regardless of how illogical of a comparison it may be.

Which is better: Kirby or Elden Ring? These games do not share central design philosophies and goals in what kind of gameplay experiences they will deliver, but they still will be compared regardless!!!

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Apparently this was a patch leak, i don't know what this looks like and after reading through the comments while being aware that it's nighttime at the time of typing this. I don't wanna see anymore.
Likely a joke.
Yummer is this… floating head thing that appears in the web game “Spongebob Saves the Day!”
It is also terrifying to stare at.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's interesting, as I think people love a good cult classic or hidden gym... provided the game is already ~5+ years old? People love hearing about interesting older titles that may be a bit jank, but clearly have passion put into them and do something interesting with the formula they follow.
Yeah, it seems cult followings are allowed to exist if they've existed for years...but at the same time, there are situations like interest in Quake's multiplayer and Unreal Tournament being at an all-time low, with the remaining Quake fandom being about Quake 1's single player.

For modern games though, the focus is very much on blockbusters or indies that "transcend" their budgeting
Ironically it was much easier for games to "transcend" their budget back when the average game budget was closer to $1 million.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
It's interesting, as I think people love a good cult classic or hidden gym... provided the game is already ~5+ years old? People love hearing about interesting older titles that may be a bit jank, but clearly have passion put into them and do something interesting with the formula they follow.

For modern games though, the focus is very much on blockbusters or indies that "transcend" their budgeting... and even then, you can't have multiple blockbusters come out near each other without people pitting them against each other, regardless of how illogical of a comparison it may be.

Which is better: Kirby or Elden Ring? These games do not share central design philosophies and goals in what kind of gameplay experiences they will deliver, but they still will be compared regardless!!!
Why would people compare Kirby and Elden Ring!? That's Ridiculously Dumb!

Top Bottom