• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Although Danny Phantom is the worst offender when it comes to bad moveset design.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
The NASB Discord seems to be obsessed with wanting Danny's moveset changed. Even this document which views characters from a "characters are functions" standpoint:
Yeah as an avid defender of NASB I’m not a big fan of Danny, though I think that’s more to do with his frame combined with how his moves operate rather than his literal moveset. Even so eh

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Danny's kit really confuses me. Like, most of it is alright if a little bland, but...

• When did the rings ever get shown to do damage? I could've sworn they were only there for him to change form, so him just using them as an attack is odd.
  • Why does the Thermos push people away when it was designed to pull things towards and inside it in the actual show?
  • What the **** is the function for the down special? I don't think there was ever a point where he just moved forward a bit, then did a 90 degree dive into the ground. I can think of plenty of times where he went diagonally in flight, both up and down, but never at this weird 90 degree angle?
  • His up special could be him just flying instead of a portal, which as far as I know he can't conjure himself. Maybe give him intangibility during the flight to make it safer?

I used to watch this show all the freaking time when I was a kid and even early into my teenage years, so it honestly feels like they didn't when designing his kit.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Yeah I love when Sheik throws out a bo staff and spins it
I literally said that Aang's specials were an EXCEPTION

Yes, Aang's moveset isn't literally 1:1, but it's pretty damn close, and is NOTHING like how Aang fights in the source material.

Danny's kit really confuses me. Like, most of it is alright if a little bland, but...

• When did the rings ever get shown to do damage? I could've sworn they were only there for him to change form, so him just using them as an attack is odd.
  • Why does the Thermos push people away when it was designed to pull things towards and inside it in the actual show?
  • What the **** is the function for the down special? I don't think there was ever a point where he just moved forward a bit, then did a 90 degree dive into the ground. I can think of plenty of times where he went diagonally in flight, both up and down, but never at this weird 90 degree angle?
  • His up special could be him just flying instead of a portal, which as far as I know he can't conjure himself. Maybe give him intangibility during the flight to make it safer?

I used to watch this show all the freaking time when I was a kid and even early into my teenage years, so it honestly feels like they didn't when designing his kit.
As a Danny main I can second a lot of that. His rings were never shown to do damage (though I think Vlad's were), and his down strong is indeed bizarre. He never conjures up portals himself either. They should just have him going invisible.

But yeah, if people want this series to grow, why are people defending decisions and proposing choices that turn the general potential playerbase off and only do more to harm the game's image? It's really what's holding the game back, though I'm glad they're at least starting to rectify it with the DLC.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ultimately I think what holds a lot of the characters back is simply having to work on 22 fighters all at once within a year. I doubt 90s nostalgia bias plays into whether or not movesets are high-quality, as Jenny wasn't sloppily made.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ultimately I think what holds a lot of the characters back is simply having to work on 22 fighters all at once within a year. I doubt 90s nostalgia bias plays into whether or not movesets are high-quality, as Jenny wasn't sloppily made.
That might explain why nearly everyone's up light is an uppercut, and why some characters' aerial moves are identical to their ground moves.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Alright, that covers that one problem. Now what about the other three lmao

Especially the thermos and down strong attacks
For the down strongs, considering his feet turn into a "ghost tail", maybe those are representative of his ability to fly.

As for the Thermos, my best guess is that it's an iconic item from the show and the most used gadget Danny owns, so they decided to take some creative liberties and include it in his moveset.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Ok so 2 pieces of news today

First up we have this tweet from Danny’s voice actor

And second we have a foreign news article implying that Nickelodeon All Star Brawl will be among the free PlayStation Plus games for June https://areajugones.sport.es/videoj...egos-que-ofrecera-el-servicio-el-proximo-mes/

HOWEVER it’s possible that it just means NASB will be free for PS5 owners to download and not PS4 which would be a major bummer if so but here’s hoping it’s PS4 or both

Last edited:

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Ok so 2 pieces of news today

First up we have this tweet from Danny’s voice actor

And second we have a foreign news article implying that Nickelodeon All Star Brawl will be among the free PlayStation Plus games for June https://areajugones.sport.es/videoj...egos-que-ofrecera-el-servicio-el-proximo-mes/

HOWEVER it’s possible that it just means NASB will be free for PS5 owners to download and not PS4 which would be a major bummer if so but here’s hoping it’s PS4 or both
Would be nice if they get cross play soon after being free on ps plus. This could really help the player base. I don't see why they would make it only for ps5 players because they usually does that only if the game have a specific next gen upgrade (like Wreckfest). Also I really hope that voice acting will come this summer with Hugh Neutron since Hugh VA is also talking a lot about the game on Twitter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Aang uses air way more than any other element and Korra uses a good mix of all except air, so it makes sense why they’re portrayed the way they are (it’d be even more stale if they both used all 4 elements)
Hell, if earthbending was more prominent in Aang and Korra's movesets, don't you think they would find it pointless to add Toph? I've always thought her purpose for being in the game was to make up for the lack of earthbending in those two's movesets, or at least earthbending that goes beyond Korra having the occasional move with rock particles.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Hell, if earthbending was more prominent in Aang and Korra's movesets, don't you think they would find it pointless to add Toph? I've always thought her purpose for being in the game was to make up for the lack of earthbending in those two's movesets, or at least earthbending that goes beyond Korra having the occasional move with rock particles.
Or they wanted to have an equivalent to Little Mac on the roster.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I've played Jenny today, she's very unique and plays pretty well..though i can't access her special attack somehow(i was able to get it down without even trying once). Also has no one noticed Armagedroid in the background of the city area? People Noticed Tuck so why not him?

Also, can we please stop arguing over the movesets, they're not all bad(i think) and there's no need to be angry over a character getting more love in development then the rest of the others in the roster.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I've played Jenny today, she's very unique and plays pretty well..though i can't access her special attack somehow(i was able to get it down without even trying once). Also has no one noticed Armagedroid in the background of the city area? People Noticed Tuck so why not him?

Also, can we please stop arguing over the movesets, they're not all bad(i think) and there's no need to be angry over a character getting more love in development then the rest of the others in the roster.
Armagedroid only appeared in one episode. The only significance this character has is that they were a big part of Dr. Wakeman's backstory.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Yeah, I noticed him. I remember that episode specifically because it had the best Teenage Robot antagonist in it - Killgore.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Armagedroid only appeared in one episode. The only significance this character has is that they were a big part of Dr. Wakeman's backstory.
Actually, Armageddroid appeared in two episodes; there was his debut where they exposited on his being built by Dr. Wakeman and how to deal with him, and then he appeared again later on alongside Killgore (which, fun fact: not only was that Killgore's second appearance as well, but the respective episodes that introduced both of them were in the same block).

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Doesn't Korra have two Earthbending based specials? I always thought it was weird they made Korra's Earthbending moves so specific to Earthbending then made the Waterbending and Firebending ones basically interchangeable since, like you said, Toph is already there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Doesn't Korra have two Earthbending based specials?
Oh right, I keep forgetting about the rocky fist she forms during her neutral special. Between the two, only grounded Landslide seems earthbending-ish as opposed to Toph's moves.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'll be honest - the music from this game is actually my favorite part haha
People criticizing the music simply for not being the shows' actual theme songs or whatever is proof that this game attracted a lot of attention from people who've never played Nicktoons crossovers before. It's normal for them to compose their own songs instead of using actual SpongeBob/Avatar/etc. music, and music packs that try to make this game's soundtrack more like Smash's end up including songs from those Nicktoons crossovers anyway.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
People criticizing the music simply for not being the shows' actual theme songs or whatever is proof that this game attracted a lot of attention from people who've never played Nicktoons crossovers before. It's normal for them to compose their own songs instead of using actual SpongeBob/Avatar/etc. music, and music packs that try to make this game's soundtrack more like Smash's end up including songs from those Nicktoons crossovers anyway.
I mean I'm gonna be completely honest - the music from these shows wouldn't really work for the context of a fighting game - something Multiversus' stages are currently suffering from, in my opinion - they're great in context of those shows from an atmospheric perspective, but here, I much prefer the method of taking inspiration from the music in the shows and then crafting it to fit a fighting environment - it makes it feel more dynamic. The music team has genuine talent for doing it. And they really did make an inspired decision when they chose to make the Turtles stages sound like the old beat-em-ups' music.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I find the music to be pretty weak in general. Even if they're original composition a lot of them doesn't really sound like fighting game music (most notably Glove world, Jellyfish fields, Wild waterfalls, Royal woods cemetery and Western air temple). To be fair Wild waterfalls Jellyfish field and Western air temple capture pretty well the show atmosphere so I'd give them that but Glove world is genuinely one of the worst music I've ever heard in a video game. It doesn't even fit the theme that well.

There's some highlight in the soundtrack like The dump, Harmonic convergence, Catdog house and Irken armada invasion.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly I find the music to be pretty weak in general. Even if they're original composition a lot of them doesn't really sound like fighting game music (most notably Glove world, Jellyfish fields, Wild waterfalls, Royal woods cemetery and Western air temple). To be fair Wild waterfalls Jellyfish field and Western air temple capture pretty well the show atmosphere so I'd give them that but Glove world is genuinely one of the worst music I've ever heard in a video game. It doesn't even fit the theme that well.

There's some highlight in the soundtrack like The dump, Harmonic convergence, Catdog house and Irken armada invasion.
Yeah, I'm not saying Ludosity composing their own songs automatically makes the songs good, just that it doesn't make the songs bad, since music in Nicktoons games=/=how Smash handles music.

Top Bottom