• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Actually, I wonder what we should get for a second character for Garfield. I think the series has enough relevance and recognition to deserve a second rep. Still, I am not sure who would make the most sense. Odie? Nermal? John? Binky?
I think Odie would be the obvious one - he's the third most important but second most marketable character, and a quadrupedal fighter who basically has an equivalent to a hand he can punch with in the form of his tongue.

Nermal could work too, attacks based on cuteness and perhaps some kind of Abu Dahbi delivery special.

Jon I'm iffy on, I can kinda imagine moves for him but I'm not sure if there's enough to make a fun moveset.

Can't imagine Arlene or Liz working at all.

A US Acres rep or Binky might be a bit more into obscure territory, but they do both have a lot to work with - even if most of what Orson's Gang provide could also be provided by the more popular, battle-fit, and Nick-tied Otis.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Actually, I wonder what we should get for a second character for Garfield. I think the series has enough relevance and recognition to deserve a second rep. Still, I am not sure who would make the most sense. Odie? Nermal? John? Binky?
I don't think a second rep would be inherently needed or anything, but my preference would be Odie. He's important, visually distinct from Garfield, and has an energy that lends himself to a fighting game super well.

Jon feels like the obvious meme-ier pick, but... Look, there's only so many middle-aged men famous for reaction memes that we can put into this game before it stops being funny.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I agree we probably don't need anyone beyond Garfield, but Odie is definitely the obvious choice. I keep imagining Odie being part of Garf's moveset, ala ZIM and GIR.

I'd only want Jon in to beat him up, heh.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I agree we probably don't need anyone beyond Garfield, but Odie is definitely the obvious choice. I keep imagining Odie being part of Garf's moveset, ala ZIM and GIR.

I'd only want Jon in to beat him up, heh.
Jon: Listen to me you little oversized out of shape ***** cat, I'd just about had enough with your laziness"
Knocks Garfield off jellyfish fields

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I'll say this in regards to the game now that I've had the chance to let my thoughts stew for a bit:

I really like the core gameplay, the music, and the roster of characters they chose. None of it's perfect, but it has lots of potential.

But, and I realize they cannot help this due to poor budget, but the presentation nearly kills it for me, and very rarely do I EVER say that about a game. The lack of dialogue or even noises, the inconsistent sizing of characters (Korra is gigantic compared to Aang and Toph, who are WAY too small, and Danny is even worse), the poor layout of some stages - which admittedly is a problem Smash faces even worse, the... frankly unneeded rock paper scissors triangle... and the lackluster mode selection... maybe my expectations were way too high for a budget game meant to be shovelware by the IP holders, but I know Ludosity can do the game well - but I really hope these are fixed/altered. If they are, then this game has potential to be one of my favorite games of all time, but right now, it's pretty low even amongst a top 50. I want to love it even more, and I'm sure I will with more characters and stages - but they can't fix all my issues with the game at once.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Jon: Listen to me you little oversized out of shape ***** cat, I'd just about had enough with your laziness"
Knocks Garfield off jellyfish fields
It's funny you say that, since the reason I wanted to kick Jon's ass is because when I was binge reading late 90's Garfield comics, it was almost entirely Jon just insulting Garfield unprovoked, and not like funny zingers, actual brutal **** like him being "useless". Remember Garfield can't talk so Jon (supposedly) doesn't actually hear it when Garfield makes wisecracks at him.

So he entered the "I'd only be okay with it because then I get to beat the crap out of him" list along with Otto Rocket.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Odie would make the most sense. Garfield as a Nick-owned property doesn't quite lend itself to "anything goes" choices as most of the others, but if it came to a second choice he'd be it, I feel.

I'm really tired of the "Why are the 80s turtles and Garfield here? They're not Nicktoons!" mentality

Can you imagine passing up the chance to get Garfield in your American cartoon themed crossover? Can you imagine forgoing your childhood favourite characters in favour of a more modern iteration you aren't as passionate about? Regardless of any consistent theming or direction, those aren't compromises worth making both business-wise and creative-wise - especially since it wouldn't cost a dime to add the "outliers". If this game was 100% SpongeBob, I'd be surprised if Garfield weren't a guest; same for Avatar and the Turtles
Adding to that, both properties crossed over with each other in the olden days. Twice. Rejecting them is practically a double-standard when no one blinks an eye anymore at the metric tons of things that Disney and WB own.

Even if going after the lesser known characters of their respective casts need a lot of goodwill on Nick's part (case in point, I recently heard from Jean-François Major on the Shredder's Revenge Discord that they wouldn't prioritize really obscure 87 TMNT characters if character DLC becomes a thing), Garfield and the TMNT themselves are iconic enough to safely allow compared to many of their own properties.

has garfield been added yet?
No. If we don't hear about him in the next couple of months, it'll have to be sometime next year.

So he entered the "I'd only be okay with it because then I get to beat the crap out of him" list along with Otto Rocket.
I've recently had this almost exact thought about Chloe Carmichael (after Timmy and the fairies get in, obviously).

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
It's funny you say that, since the reason I wanted to kick Jon's ass is because when I was binge reading late 90's Garfield comics, it was almost entirely Jon just insulting Garfield unprovoked, and not like funny zingers, actual brutal **** like him being "useless". Remember Garfield can't talk so Jon (supposedly) doesn't actually hear it when Garfield makes wisecracks at him.

Oh, I see.

I was actually thinking of this video when making that up.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
geez i dont advertise my books this much
Yeah true but i just Really wanna talk about it! the first Demo didnt really get any attention! (it was not available here) Ive also decided to stop im now just here to look at possible Reactions!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah true but i just Really wanna talk about it! the first Demo didnt really get any attention! (it was not available here) Ive also decided to stop im now just here to look at possible Reactions!
I get it. I’m the same with my books. But you know we really shouldn’t derail the threads

LimeTH

Smash Lord
If I got the game on the Switch, should I even bother getting excited for Garfield at this point? I'd have to buy the game again on a different system to even get to play as him.

amageish

Smash Master
Maybe it's a selfish hope, but I would hope that the two actual character launches wouldn't be released anywhere until all platforms have approved them. I get wanting hotfixes out ASAP and not holding back on them, especially when there are thousand-dollar tournaments happening, but I think it's reasonable to wait until every platform can get new content to put all-new content out....

Also, uh...

I, uh, guess Smash isn't the only platform fighter with a Chris Pratt character in it...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe it's a selfish hope, but I would hope that the two actual character launches wouldn't be released anywhere until all platforms have approved them. I get wanting hotfixes out ASAP and not holding back on them, especially when there are thousand-dollar tournaments happening, but I think it's reasonable to wait until every platform can get new content to put all-new content out....

Also, uh...

I, uh, guess Smash isn't the only platform fighter with a Chris Pratt character in it...
Good things come to those who wait.

The script written by Oscar nominee David Reynolds (Finding Nemo) is being directed by Mark Dindal (Chicken Little), with the duo having previously worked together on The Emperor’s New Groove.
Although it's good to know that the fourth-wall breaking antics may be left intact.

Last edited:

LimeTH

Smash Lord

Also, uh...

Yeah, here's hoping Nintendo doesn't hold out for too long when it comes to a legit character addition. There might be more push by Nick and GameMill to get that approved faster, at least I'd hope so.

And uh... I can't tell if this is a worse casting choice for Chris Pratt than Mario or not.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

Also, uh...

Well, Looks like Mario won't be the only one played by Star-Lord

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, here's hoping Nintendo doesn't hold out for too long when it comes to a legit character addition. There might be more push by Nick and GameMill to get that approved faster, at least I'd hope so.

And uh... I can't tell if this is a worse casting choice for Chris Pratt than Mario or not.
I assume that actual character additions (especially the later paid DLC ones) would also be planned with release dates in advance and wouldn't just be dropped on Steam the second they're ready... which would assumedly help them get all their console ducks in a row too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It kinda pains me to see some people write this off as a failure, granted it isn't too much of a failure but people seem to think this because of it's popularity fading away too quickly.
Blame our "go big or go home" culture. You think Nick canceling shows for not pulling in SpongeBob numbers is bad? Imagine a whole community of gamers believing a game is only interesting if it's one of the most watched on Twitch.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
It kinda pains me to see some people write this off as a failure, granted it isn't too much of a failure but people seem to think this because of it's popularity fading away too quickly.
That's how it be. A lot of these people pointing and laughing at NASB like it's some sort of massive flop are clearly unfamiliar with the lot fighting games in general have, where unless they're super mainstream and popular like Smash or Street Fighter, basically all of them taper off to having middling playerbases within a few weeks or months out from release with interest only spiking around DLC reveals and stuff like that. This is just how fighting games are, being a historically niche genre (of which platform fighters are themselves a niche subgenre), but people coming in from only Smash wouldn't realize that. If anything, NASB's day 1 reception was frankly unheard of for a non-Smash platform fighter; 9,000+ concurrent players is not at all anything to sneeze at, and that's JUST the Steam version.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Yeah, NASB may not be a massive game that is going to blow up the GOTY discussions at the end of the year, but I'm sure it's already outsold Nick Kart Racers and certainly outperformed Slap City, which are really the standards it should be held to given its size/polish-level. It's doing perfectly fine by fighting game standards and I'm sure tournaments will continue to happen.

It just turns out that, y'know, the gaming discussion sphere is fickle and moves at a mile a minute. Multiversus gives a place for speculation to go - one that is slightly broader to for dreams to really run wild, even if I personally prefer a themed fighter over a "Here's a bunch of IPs squished together" one - and otherwise people just... move on, at least for the moment.

As I've said before, I think this could end up being good for the game in a way though. This game needs some time - both more development time for further content/patches and time for the community to settle, with top players who excel at this game and this game in particular rising up, as opposed to the current "Look, everyone, it's a bunch of Smash players/commentators plus a couple peeps from Aether too" tourneys. I think time without Smash-hype-tubers focusing on it will help let the game develop its own sense of identity/community better then any "Reacting to the LEAK of 'My Leg!' from SpongeBob!" stream/video would...

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also think part of the issue is that some people were acting like this could legitimately kill Smash (which it couldn't even if it launched with items and voice acting), so when it was figured out to not be as popular, cue people laughing and doomposting.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Honestly the biggest issues are presentation and pricing and I fail to see anything else, it does not look like a game that you should spend 50 bucks for, the lack of voice acting in a modern day fighting game is unheard of, especially with all these characters and yadda yadda yadda. That being said I'm reminded of Battle For The Grid which not only had updates to fix the game's look and voice acting, but initially launched with 9 characters. If BftG can make a fantastic turnabout with at least 5 seasons of DLC, this game can do the same

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I also think part of the issue is that some people were acting like this could legitimately kill Smash (which it couldn't even if it launched with items and voice acting), so when it was figured out to not be as popular, cue people laughing and doomposting.
Yeah, you'd think that people would realize that it's likelier to remain as an alternative than become a replacement. Remember when people thought that Yokai Watch would be a Pokémon killer? Yeah...

Honestly the biggest issues are presentation and pricing and I fail to see anything else, it does not look like a game that you should spend 50 bucks for, the lack of voice acting in a modern day fighting game is unheard of, especially with all these characters and yadda yadda yadda. That being said I'm reminded of Battle For The Grid which not only had updates to fix the game's look and voice acting, but initially launched with 9 characters. If BftG can make a fantastic turnabout with at least 5 seasons of DLC, this game can do the same
Yup. The only obstacle to 5 seasons or so is the approval process for characters from lesser-known, underused and/or retired properties.

Plus the devs themselves outright stated that it'd look better six months to a year after launch, so it wouldn't hurt to leave and check back in a bit. Nothing happening by next October would be when panicking should happen.

That's how it be. A lot of these people pointing and laughing at NASB like it's some sort of massive flop are clearly unfamiliar with the lot fighting games in general have, where unless they're super mainstream and popular like Smash or Street Fighter, basically all of them taper off to having middling playerbases within a few weeks or months out from release with interest only spiking around DLC reveals and stuff like that. This is just how fighting games are, being a historically niche genre (of which platform fighters are themselves a niche subgenre), but people coming in from only Smash wouldn't realize that. If anything, NASB's day 1 reception was frankly unheard of for a non-Smash platform fighter; 9,000+ concurrent players is not at all anything to sneeze at, and that's JUST the Steam version.
Not every fighting IP is like King of Fighters or Street Fighter in regards to instant polish and frequency, really.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If anything, this circlejerk over NASB not having 50 bajillion Twitch viewers just showcases a huge advantage the old-school internet had: There was no universal dictator for what games, shows etc. you're allowed to have interest in. You just had to make up your own mind.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
I've had fun with this game, which I bought for Switch. I mostly played Lucy, but also played some Reptar and CatDog. After playing a lot with CPUs, I started playing matches online. I didn't do too well (and struggled a lot fighting certain characters like April and Reptar), so I felt pretty good when I was able to pull in wins.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been binging Rocko lately, and watching "Carnival Knowledge" I think the Sawmill rollercoaster could be a really fun Rocko stage - even if Heck would be my choice.
Seeing as we've got Teeter-Totter Gulch as a stage, I don't see why not.

I think that if they don't drop by Thanksgiving then something is seriously wrong over at Ludosity.
Good thing he's got a Thanksgiving special, then.

That said, 23 days left.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think that if they don't drop by Thanksgiving then something is seriously wrong over at Ludosity.
Why would you believe that? They're focused on fine tuning the mechanics for competitive players and working on content on the side for now, if anything I'd worry about the state of Ludosity if Garfield arrived early.

Top Bottom