• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nickelodeon All-Stars Brawl General Thread - All Star Brawl 2 Available Today!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I feel like if the devs are able to get voice acting added on later for the game, the good majority of it will probably be recycled voice clips, which while might be disappointing in many cases (I would love to hear Billy West make new lines for Ren and Stimpy, or see stuff like rival dialogue for certain characters), but for some characters like Nigel Thornberry, where his original voice actor Tim Curry has been unable to do much stuff after suffering from a stroke in 2012, having older voice lines be recycled would probably be the best option, rather than say getting someone else to do an impression of Tim Curry's iconic voice.
For what it's worth, Tim Curry's stroke mostly impacted his physical acting roles. He still does voice acting to this day, and currently has a voice role in a new film in production going by Wikipedia. Still tragic that it happened, but thankfully he's still quite vocally talented. If anything would stop him, it would be the budget. :p

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ok. Patrick being that high surprises me. I didnt know grapplers were that popular of an arquetype. Reptar is also higher than I expected since he is such a minor character in his series. Also, surprised April is so low when she looks really strong by gameplay alone.
For Patrick, it might just be because he's Patrick and he's a popular and funny character. I know I'm probably gonna play as him even though I usually don't like grapplers just because I wanna play as Patrick Star in a fighting game. Reptar, I know a surprising amount of people who were hyped to main him when the game was announced, which might be because they're big fans of Rugrats or they just really like kaijus.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Reptar is also higher than I expected since he is such a minor character in his series.
Side characters like that always get popular, but I dunno, Tommy trying to find Reptar in some form or another was the plot of a lot of episodes, Reptar was almost always the go-to in-universe fictional entity in a lot of other episodes, plus the huge role some form of Reptar plays in the first two movies, so I don't think Reptar was that minor at all.

Even back in Rugrats' heyday, Reptar was always the most popular character. He was heavily promoted and merchandised, the special where the babies imagine themselves in a Reptar movie and actually go up against the big guy himself was treated as an event, and while it has a different theme now, they built a Reptar roller coaster. Like it wasn't an older ride rethemed to Reptar, it was built to be the Reptar coaster.

Like it wouldn't surprise me if there's more nostalgia for the hype around Reptar than there is for the babies themselves.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
For Patrick, it might just be because he's Patrick and he's a popular and funny character. I know I'm probably gonna play as him even though I usually don't like grapplers just because I wanna play as Patrick Star in a fighting game. Reptar, I know a surprising amount of people who were hyped to main him when the game was announced, which might be because they're big fans of Rugrats or they just really like kaijus.
In my case, its both. :love:

Side characters like that always get popular, but I dunno, Tommy trying to find Reptar in some form or another was the plot of a lot of episodes, Reptar was almost always the go-to in-universe fictional entity in a lot of other episodes, plus the huge role some form of Reptar plays in the first two movies, so I don't think Reptar was that minor at all.

Even back in Rugrats' heyday, Reptar was always the most popular character. He was heavily promoted and merchandised, the special where the babies imagine themselves in a Reptar movie and actually go up against the big guy himself was treated as an event, and while it has a different theme now, they built a Reptar roller coaster. Like it wasn't an older ride rethemed to Reptar, it was built to be the Reptar coaster.

Like it wouldn't surprise me if there's more nostalgia for the hype around Reptar than there is for the babies themselves.
Actually, there is a place I like to go where one of the dishes is a Reptar cookie and a milkshake. I´ll take a picture and share it here the next time I go. You might be on the right track on popularity now that you mention those details.

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
For what it's worth, Tim Curry's stroke mostly impacted his physical acting roles. He still does voice acting to this day, and currently has a voice role in a new film in production going by Wikipedia. Still tragic that it happened, but thankfully he's still quite vocally talented. If anything would stop him, it would be the budget. :p
That's really good news to hear, I would assume considering he had fond memories of the role that he'd be willing to reprise it again for a couple of voicelines, I'd kill to hear Nigel say **** like "A moving, talking Sea Sponge wearing square pants? Astonishing, This is simply SMASHING!"

LimeTH

Smash Lord
That's really good news to hear, I would assume considering he had fond memories of the role that he'd be willing to reprise it again for a couple of voicelines, I'd kill to hear Nigel say **** like "A moving, talking Sea Sponge wearing square pants? Astonishing, This is simply SMASHING!"
"OOOOH, Miriam! These are simply the largest turtles I've ever seen! Fascinating!"

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Lord Nelson's trousers! This creature is half cat, half dog! Marianne, the camera!"

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
"Interesting! A giant green bipedal reptile with blue spines? I want to take a photo!"

TheBrainJem

Smash Hero
NNID
TheBrainJem
I looked it up also, Tim Curry, although known for more higher end roles, has worked on tons of smaller productions, especially regarding voice acting, he seems to just enjoy doing it.

Does give more hope that he would be able to reprise his role for the game if they asked him to do so.

Unrelated note but something I've been wondering regarding Nickelodeon I'm not sure if anyone has heard but Mirage comics, the original company behind the creation of the TMNT, has officially fully dissolved as of this year, and apparently they had been downsizing and dismantling the company and it's divisions since the TMNT were sold to Viacom/Nickelodeon back in 2009. There's a lot of speculation that the same might now be happening at Paws Inc. now that Viacom also fully owns Garfield, so now I'm wondering if Smurfs might actually be next considering the new show any all, and that IMPS (the current owner of the Smurfs IP) might go down as well...

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
Well for a comparison, Power Ranger Battle for the Grid did manage to get a few of the OG actors to reprise their roles but they aren't exactly voice acting legends outside of maybe Johnny Yong Bosch (We got Season 4 announced a few days ago and he is reprising his role as Adam Park, which wasn't that surprising but it's cool he came back)

The one thing that surprised me about Battle for the Grid is that Laura Bailey came back to voice Chun-Li which is bonkers to me given that she is one of the biggest names in voice acting and for a seemingly low budget game.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
On the Topic of Voice Acting, are the actors for the original turtles & april still good to potentially reprise their roles?

and what about background characters, what would happen to them in terms of voice acting?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On the Topic of Voice Acting, are the actors for the original turtles & april still good to potentially reprise their roles?
Cam Clarke would definitely be easy to get, but I'm not sure if the others are still active enough. April's VA hasn't even done any notable roles between the 1987 and 2012 Ninja Turtles.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
Cam Clarke would definitely be easy to get, but I'm not sure if the others are still active enough. April's VA hasn't even done any notable roles between the 1987 and 2012 Ninja Turtles.
They would probably just get Mae Whitman from the 2012 show. She's lent her voice to plenty of video games, including reprising her Katara role.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I feel like if the devs are able to get voice acting added on later for the game, the good majority of it will probably be recycled voice clips, which while might be disappointing in many cases (I would love to hear Billy West make new lines for Ren and Stimpy, or see stuff like rival dialogue for certain characters), but for some characters like Nigel Thornberry, where his original voice actor Tim Curry has been unable to do much stuff after suffering from a stroke in 2012, having older voice lines be recycled would probably be the best option, rather than say getting someone else to do an impression of Tim Curry's iconic voice.
Wasn't aware that anything had happened to Tim Curry, that's such a shame. The man is a legend and I'm a huge fan of his work. Thankfully he's doing okay.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, that's good to know. It reminds me of what happened to the local RetroAchievements champion player DonCosmo, who was caught in a horrific traffic accident that left him disabled and possibly can never walk again, but this hasn't stopped him from protecting his title.

People can do anything if they set their mind to it, no matter the obstacle. 💪

They would probably just get Mae Whitman from the 2012 show. She's lent her voice to plenty of video games, including reprising her Katara role.
Also, Rob Paulsen is still doing stuff, he's been on the Animaniacs reboot recently, so if Raph got in via DLC, it'd be relative cake getting him.

As for Mikey's, Townsend Coleman still seems active, though hasn't done anything noteworthy since 2018. He could also voice the Shredder if he gets in as DLC, should need be.

Similarly, Barry Gordon hasn't done much since 2018, but is still active in some capacity.

In my case, its both. :love:

Actually, there is a place I like to go where one of the dishes is a Reptar cookie and a milkshake. I´ll take a picture and share it here the next time I go. You might be on the right track on popularity now that you mention those details.
Hell, the reason I even heard of this game at all while I stopped paying attention to much of anything for a while is ZoroCarlos ZoroCarlos looking forward to playing as Reptar in October, long before the street date was officially announced. You can say that Reptar is a selling point.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
haha funny.jpg

Well, that's kind of accurate.
white haired boy does something which fails most of the time and is a punching bag the show likes to mistreat

amageish

Smash Master
Well, it's past 10AM and we haven't gotten a character showcase today... Is today an American holiday I am not aware of?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

If we get nothing by 8/9 PM EST, then it's time to punch out for bed 'til tomorrow. And the next day...

Edit: Since for some reason I'm unintentionally vague at explaining anything, keep in mind that this is just an older post as a general idea of how late they might drop an update.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, if anything they'd reveal all the Avatar characters at the same time, and a Twitter post is probably too small for that.

At any rate, I have pre-ordered the digital version on the Switch eshop today, so today won't be a complete waste for me.

Oh cool, a new reveal, I wonder if we’re gonna finally get

checks tweet date

NOW WAIT JUST A MINUTE
I was just using a frame of reference as to how late they might post.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Eh, if anything they'd reveal all the Avatar characters at the same time, and a Twitter post is probably too small for that.

At any rate, I have pre-ordered the digital version on the Switch eshop today, so today won't be a complete waste for me.

I was just using a frame or reference as to how late they might post.
Oops my b, I thought it was an actual announcement post for a sec lmao. People on twitter retweeting old Nintendo directs has messed up my brain

amageish

Smash Master
Nope. Must be late or something.
Some of them were late when it was just the png move lists, so that's fair I suppose... Hopefully they weren't being put together so quickly that last week's chaos in the Discord threw them completely off.

It's the canadian elections but I doubt that matters to them xD
I am Canadian too haha. Clearly they're waiting to announce that the next Canadian Prime Minister is going to be a bonus character in All-Star Brawl...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Some of them were late when it was just the png move lists, so that's fair I suppose... Hopefully they weren't being put together so quickly that last week's chaos in the Discord threw them completely off.

I am Canadian too haha. Clearly they're waiting to announce that the next Canadian Prime Minister is going to be a bonus character in All-Star Brawl...
Speaking of Discord, I wonder if anyone tried asking them if we can expect anything tomorrow, or wait until next week.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
This might seems like a silly questions, but was there a confirmation that the first two post launch characters are free? This seems to be the general assumption, but the GameInformer interview just said "At launch there will be 20 characters, with 2 more following soon after". Did the dev confirmed on the discord that those are free updates?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Clearly they're saving the next showcase for the Nintendo Direct that's coming any day now...
In all seriousness though, they did post Sandy's moveset last Monday, so I don't think another one would have been too difficult to do, regardless of tardiness or behind-the-scenes shenanigans. In any case, if we hear anything, I figure it would be tomorrow.

Or the last week until the game's release, whichever comes first.

This might seems like a silly questions, but was there a confirmation that the first two post launch characters are free? This seems to be the general assumption, but the GameInformer interview just said "At launch there will be 20 characters, with 2 more following soon after". Did the dev confirmed on the discord that those are free updates?
As far as I know, no word on that yet. I don't know if anyone's tried asking them about it on Discord, either.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Hey, uh, has anyone else noticed there's something screwy going on with Twitter right now?

Because I was logged out for no reason, and whenever I try to log in, I either get error messages or nothing is loading.

Edit: And it seems to be fixed now. That was weird.

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

If we get nothing by 8/9 PM EST, then it's time to punch out for bed 'til tomorrow. And the next day...

Edit: Since for some reason I'm unintentionally vague at explaining anything, keep in mind that this is just an older post as a general idea of how late they might drop an update.
Aang from Avatar, that's my next bet.

Edit: Facepalm

Last edited:

Faso115

Smash Lord
You guys are getting bamboozled by the twitter post. Why even share that only to cause more problems here.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The game Informer interview mentioned it, and iirc the devs said that the first two would be free on discord since they were meant for launch.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You guys are getting bamboozled by the twitter post. Why even share that only to cause more problems here.
Because my communication skills are crummy, apparently. 🤕

I'll explain it once, so I hope it'll be clear:

The latest post (as in, coming late in a specific day, not the most recent post) we had was way back on the 13th, at 8:55 PM EST. So, if we might get anything today, it would have to be by 9 PM EST, otherwise nothing until tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the day after that...

Edit:

Oh, are you kidding me!?

Wouldn't this be important enough to retweet on the All-Star Brawl account? :angeranime: Of course, this launch page was probably already up before now anyways.

Next thing you know, we'll get a post showing off the PSN page for the PS4 version.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
...Well, that's a thing I guess, and I assume that, unless something crazy happens, that's going to be it for news/updates today.

Though I've already pre-ordered the Switch version (not to mention, I don't even own an Xbox in any form).

Also, there's a pretty amusing picture of Lincoln and Oblina on the Junkyard stage.

Also also, one of the images is of Reptar on a jungle-looking stage. Do you guys think this is another glimpse at the still mostly unknown Wild Thornberrys stage?

Last edited:
Top Bottom