• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFL Thread

Jem.

Smash Master
Did you used to live in Cali or something? Weird that you're from Texas and don't dislike the 49ers.

it also helps that the Cardinals are pretty abysmal since going 4-0.. I predicted they would end the season with 6 wins when they were 4-0. Looks like at this rate I'll be on pace to be right.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Did you used to live in Cali or something? Weird that you're from Texas and don't dislike the 49ers.

it also helps that the Cardinals are pretty abysmal since going 4-0.. I predicted they would end the season with 6 wins when they were 4-0. Looks like at this rate I'll be on pace to be right.
My dad originally lived in the West Coast. So even though I was born in Texas, I grew up watching documentaries on the 49ers and Lakers.

M@v

Subarashii!
In my 5 fantasy leagues, my worst record is 4-4, and I'd be in the playoffs in all 5 leagues if the seasons ended today.

notbad.avi.

Best record is 7-1, and I just got my first loss there this week.

M@v

Subarashii!
Dear Green Bay, I know how you guys felt now with the horrible officiating with your game vs the Seahawks. Thankfully we still won our game somehow though.

Sincerely, a Steelers Fan who watched the refs in the Steelers Giants game.

RIBBONxPARADISE

Smash Cadet
Yeah, i watched Steelers-Giants, and not being a fan of either team, i can say from an unbiased POV those calls were dreadful, especially the fumble return for a TD. But i gotta give Chicago credit for playing a dominant game againt the Titans. I feel the Browns are a QB away from being a contender (Weeden isn't working) Cowboys-Falcons is interesting as of right now, but i'm only keeping track of the score

RIBBONxPARADISE

Smash Cadet
Not sure what Dallas was thinking on the last possession, but only the last play was anything close to productive in that situation, although Atlanta's prevent formation allowed for the last play to get as close as it did, but it was a smart formation to take

M@v

Subarashii!
It still went for 7 points.
14 points*

first 7 came from 2 blown calls: the pass interference that never actually happened, and the legal hit to the ribs that was called as an illegal hit to the head.

The next 7 came from a blown call (fumble that was an incomplete pass) and a missed call (if that turnover still stood, giants should of been called for a blatant chop block down field during the return)

This game was close.

In reality it should of been a not close 24-10 win for the Steelers.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Yeah, i watched Steelers-Giants, and not being a fan of either team, i can say from an unbiased POV those calls were dreadful, especially the fumble return for a TD. But i gotta give Chicago credit for playing a dominant game againt the Titans. I feel the Browns are a QB away from being a contender (Weeden isn't working) Cowboys-Falcons is interesting as of right now, but i'm only keeping track of the score
Weeden isn't the problem, neither was McCoy

Who the **** do they throw the ball to? Gordon? Please, he's a No. 3 receiver on most other teams at best. They should've drafted a big receiver over Weeden.

The Giants defense was playing really well until that last quarter, the offense didn't do enough and Eli sucked the d. So basically, Eli didn't play like Zeus in the 4th quarter to win the game, but it's only a loss and hopefully this doesn't translate into a slide.

I called this before the season started and I'm still going with it: Bears - Texans Superbowl. The Bears defense is an offense and the Texans are going to run away in the AFC. The only way the bears don't make the Superbowl is if they play the Packers or the Giants at home.

RIBBONxPARADISE

Smash Cadet
I will acknowledge that the recievers are an issue. But Gordon is their most consistent, with Little a distant 2nd. Weeden overthrows everybody constantly, but he's a rookie, so i guess there's some wiggle room to be had. The offensive plays that are being ran don't help much either. A line of scrimmage pass on 3rd and 9? Really? It might work if there's a blocker or two, but there never is and it's a 3 and out a very good portion of the time it's ran. Andrew Luck continues to impress, setting the single game rookie passing record by ONE YARD over Cam Newton's record set last season. It does certainly look like Chicago and Houston are on a collision course. They actually play each other this upcoming Sunday night. Can't wait

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I called this before the season started and I'm still going with it: Bears - Texans Superbowl. The Bears defense is an offense and the Texans are going to run away in the AFC. The only way the bears don't make the Superbowl is if they play the Packers or the Giants at home.
I believe the bears can beat the packers or the giants at home when it comes down to the NFC title game.

:pow:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm just concerned in regards to how many more games we're gonna see before the Bears D stops scoring more than the Bears O. At some point, they are gonna need Cutler, Marshal, and Forte to do their thing and score 21-28 points on their own.

Jem.

Smash Master
And the Packers got a phantom PI that kept their only TD drive alive when they were going to punt. Hawks still win 7-6 then ;). Plus I think they said during the replacement refs, the Seahawks were the most penalized team, and since then they're the least penalized team. They had it out for the Hawks with manyyy bogus calls!

Anyways, glad my Hawks won yesterday. Defense has gotta play better in the first half. Can't hear the Russell Wilson haters as much lately.. weird eh. I say it all the time to people I know who like the Hawks too, it always shocks me how prepared he is. He said the only thing he's afraid of is not being prepared, which is why he studies so hard. Tuesdays are the day off and he still comes in to watch film and study things before the gameplan for the next opponent is even set, and he texts the receivers things they can do to exploit the next team before the coaches even do. Never heard of someone with such a crazy work ethic like him. I guess Golden Tate said even in the off-season when he was the backup and you have the 1-2 months off after the draft, that he was still coming in practicing plays, studying film, working out, etc. crazy work ethic for that kid.

Potential playoff matchups I'm excited about for the Hawks if they hold onto the #6 seed that they currently hold: @ the Packers, or @ San Fran again. Those would be hype. The only annoying thing would be seeing the Golden Tate final play from MNF 1700 times the week leading up to the game.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Yes! The Bears win restores my confidence slightly about my pre-season prediction of a Bears/Texans Superbowl. I don't truly believe that will happen because the NFC has beast teams like San Fransisco for instance. Overall I have Chicago going in as a wildcard and then getting hot in the playoffs, like the Giants did in 2008 and 2012.
Weeden isn't the problem, neither was McCoy

This prediction is becoming more and more of a reality!

The Lions are 4-4. I'm glad they are bouncing back by going 3-1 in the last 4 games. Unfortunately it feels like they are going to have to win out to do something. It's all going to come down to the division games for them. They have 4 left (2 vs. GB, 1 vs. Chic, and 1 vs. Min) If they lose these they are done, but if they win them plus two more games Detroit has a chance for a WC. Bascially hoping for a Vikings and Packers collapse. Chicago isn't going away.

M@v

Subarashii!
All I have to say to the eagles is that your problems are not Vick's fault; your main problem is that the Arizona O-line would be an upgrade for you guys. No amount of coaching can overcome that.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
All I have to say to the eagles is that your problems are not Vick's fault; your main problem is that the Arizona O-line would be an upgrade for you guys. No amount of coaching can overcome that.
They're both. When you call a play with an empty backfield and no extra men on the line of scrimmage and they're calling for an all-out blitz, you change the play. When they're so obviously bringing 2 extra men and all you have is Shady in the backfield, you change the play. When they never bluff on any of their blitzes and you're not changing the play, you change the play. Vick has learned nothing and never will. Losing 4 of 5 starting linemen is just the reason why he has no time to get away from that fact by scrambling for yards because of undisciplined defenses.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, I mean when you have an all out blitz coming with an empty backfield, it's no on the coach anymore to make the adjustments...

The QB and the hot WR need to realize that at that point, someone needs to run a short route, whether it's a hitch or slant. We saw what happened when Romo threw it to Dez a few weeks ago only for Dez to keep going. The ball was picked off and returned for a TD. A similar situation when Peyton Manning threw it to a rookie receiver who kept going on a blitz play, so he wasn't there to catch the ball resulting in a pick 6.

Overall though, I'm not sure if Vick comes off as a QB who can read defenses and call audibles when needed. I'm not saying it's 100% his fault he gets sacked and hit. However, he could ease some of that if he had a better idea of how to handle audibles.

Edit: Conspiracy...

"It's a freak statistic, but interesting nonetheless: Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck have each thrown for 2,404 yards this season. "

M@v

Subarashii!
^The thing is though Manning's TD/Interception ratio is much better than Luck's.

Also, If the playoffs started today it would be broncos vs colts :awesome:

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
LOl steady progression. Weeden is a 40 year old rookie QB, you only have so many years outta that guy.
hes 29
but you right he gotta win more soon.
the owness is on the offensive line and the receivers (especially the receivers)
he is a better thrower then mccoy and im glad we got him. he is learning how to stand up against defenses after being hit which he wasnt hit much in college.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Man, iono if I should be satisfied with that tie or disappointed. The Rams? Really? On the flipside, losing Alex Smith is not easy to come over, cause you become one dimensional.

Iono...I just don't know.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dunno. But he left in the second quarter after finishing the drive. Didn't return (obviously). Today was concussion central for QBs.

Michael Vick, Alex Smith, Jay Cutler.

ulises3000

Smash Ace
NNID
Ulises3000
3DS FC
1951-1622-8058
Switch FC
SW-4892-0521-2326
I dunno about the tie thing. There should atleast be 2OTs before a tie imo. It makes the West more interesting though. Also all the games with QB concussions could have turned out differently if they played through the whole game. All of them are pretty decent quarterbacks and probably could have led the team better for comeback stuff.
In other news the Falcons lost finally to the Saints in the South. Wasn't really surprised though, I think the Saints are still a playoff team. The Bucs also have a winning record and can hopefully make the playoffs if their record stays good. Their team is coming together very nicely and will atleast put up a fight in their games. Of course they'd have to get a wild card cause Falcons are obv still gonna win the division.
I'm still hopeful on the Cowboys too. They already finished their series with the Giants and as long as they get the easy wins in their remaining schedule, they can probably come away with the division. The Giants are awful in the last end of the season anyway.

Top Bottom