• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NFL Thread

M@v

Subarashii!
I was initially resigned to this being a bad year for the steelers after thursday, but considering the entire AFC is a heaping pile of garbage this year, there's hope!

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
So...

-Eagles offense is 2nd to last in scoring points (Thanks Jacksonville!), defense is 13th in scoring, 12th in total yardage
-Michael Vick has 13 turnovers on the season
-Eagles are like 10-1 when Shady gets the ball 20+ times. He's averaged 18.5 carries a game, most coming in the second half of games.
-I've been staring at stats for the past 20 minutes, and the Eagles have stats similar to the Chiefs. wtf? Turnovers, points/game, penalties, 3rd down %s, name it...except the defenses. The defense is performing a billion times better and is probably why they aren't 1-5 like the Chiefs.
-1st and goal on the PIT 3. Shady on the sideline.
-Offense loses 21 yards on its first possession in overtime against the Lions.

I look at all this, and at 3-3 I should fire....

THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR! OF COURSE! Even if this somehow leads to a better season, someone knows something I don't...

Any team that lost to the Eagles should be ashamed.

/rantoftheseason

Jem.

Smash Master
This will be the best Thursday Night Football game of the year so far. If you guys don't watch NFC West games, you're about to find out why the NFC West has more teams above .500 than the whole AFC has. Smashmouth football. The new school Ravens-Pittsburgh defenses. And it always spices it up that Pete Carroll and Harbaugh had college beef with each other. If the Hawks can win this game, we have a pretty good chance at making the post-season. We almost beat them twice last year with Tavaris Jackson, we'll see what we can do this time.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So...

-Eagles offense is 2nd to last in scoring points (Thanks Jacksonville!), defense is 13th in scoring, 12th in total yardage
-Michael Vick has 13 turnovers on the season
-Eagles are like 10-1 when Shady gets the ball 20+ times. He's averaged 18.5 carries a game, most coming in the second half of games.
-I've been staring at stats for the past 20 minutes, and the Eagles have stats similar to the Chiefs. wtf? Turnovers, points/game, penalties, 3rd down %s, name it...except the defenses. The defense is performing a billion times better and is probably why they aren't 1-5 like the Chiefs.
-1st and goal on the PIT 3. Shady on the sideline.
-Offense loses 21 yards on its first possession in overtime against the Lions.

I look at all this, and at 3-3 I should fire....

THE DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR! OF COURSE! Even if this somehow leads to a better season, someone knows something I don't...

Any team that lost to the Eagles should be ashamed.

/rantoftheseason
Obviously it was a move pressured by the owner. It was either him or Reid if I had to put my money on it. Would've been better if they reassigned him though.

M@v

Subarashii!
Steelers vs vikings in London next year :3. Really don't want to, but on the bright side, the vikings are acting as the home team for it.

Peeze

Smash Master
This will be the best Thursday Night Football game of the year so far. If you guys don't watch NFC West games, you're about to find out why the NFC West has more teams above .500 than the whole AFC has. Smashmouth football. The new school Ravens-Pittsburgh defenses. And it always spices it up that Pete Carroll and Harbaugh had college beef with each other. If the Hawks can win this game, we have a pretty good chance at making the post-season. We almost beat them twice last year with Tavaris Jackson, we'll see what we can do this time.
Agreed, i'm looking forward to this game.

Also @ M@V i would love to see that game in London, i have some family there i havent visited in a while.

M@v

Subarashii!
Works out good for you then :). Its just I think the travel is detrimental to both teams. Hurts you guys more because you lose a home game.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah. I thought I was also watching the replacement refs tonight. Man they were awful. Probably delayed the game by about 15-20 minutes.

This is what the 49ers formula should ALWAYS be unless they are behind 20+ points. Run the ball more than they pass. The two times they have lost this season, far more pass attempts than rush. I mean, granted the Niner defense forced a lot of 3 and outs, but that run game also wore Seattle's D out.

Jem.

Smash Master
Yikes. I guess the silver lining is that the Seahawk can stay competitive/close in a game @ arguably the best team in the NFC/NFL on a short week with our QB posting a 0 QB rating in the 2nd half. I'm not really mad at Russell Wilson as a Hawks fan though. We left 10 points on the board with Turbin dropping a big one and Tate dropping what had a fair shot at leading to a field goal drive. Young teams make mental errors, and unfortunately, we have in copious amounts in our losses.

The plus side is on paper this was our hardest game remaining on the schedule. SF has all 3 road division games, @ New England, and home to Chicago. Seattle closes out the season with 3 home division games, and @ Buffalo. As long as they can stay close, they'll have a chance. The fact the defense only gave up 13 points is a miracle, they had to be on the field almost the whole 2nd half. Classic Seattle shooting itself in the foot ploy.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I am not happy at their loss, but I am surprised at how competitive the Jets kept the game. Both teams are suffering in their own way, but I honestly was expecting the score to be along the lines of that Niners/Jets game a few weeks ago.

And for fantasy, I did alright. Got the second highest score of the week. It's just unfortunate my opponent earned the highest score, thus causing me to lose. I don't have a bad team. My opponents just manage to get a good day where I don't. 1-6 now. :awesome:

Jem.

Smash Master
My opponent in Fantasy Football beat me by 55 points, while starting someone on a bye.

How? Arian Foster, Adrian Peterson, Texans D (20 effing points just for Texans D), and Vincent Jackson.

Like.. wow. I've never lost by that many points lol. I'm 4-3 in my league now.

EDIT: Well, now I'm even more excited for SF @ Seattle Dec 23rd. Likely playoff implications, but Pete Carroll fired back at Harbaugh for saying we should be getting flagged more on defense and whining about us when they won the game lol.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
DAAAAAAAA BEARS! :)

suh tried to break jay's shoulder/ribs.....it's all good tho.. tillman once again can do what no DB in the leauge can't do to megatron.

:pow:

Jem.

Smash Master
Yo be careful.. Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are no slouches, both might be considerations for the Pro Bowl. We'll see if they can do that to Megatron :)

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
.... there is no way denver is gonna make the super bowl, they may not even make it to the playoffs lolol i have no hope for my team so ill just root against everyone else in our division :D

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
The Lions are really in a hole now. 2-4 is bottom of the barrel in the NFC. Not only that, but they are 0-2 in their division. Lastly, the Bears, Vikings and Packers have winning records right now.

On the bright side, at least it isn't 0-6!

Jem.

Smash Master
division record isn't always the most important thing. Giants went 2-4 or 3-3 I think in division last year. I know the Hawks won the division a couple times with 3-3. And, well, need anyone remind the Raiders and their fans how assuring it felt to go 6-0 in the division and still miss the playoffs..

Jem.

Smash Master
Lol @ Warren Moon thinking the Cam Newton criticism is partially racial. Why do people always resort to that? It's because he acts like a 12 year old and insists on doing the "Superman" even if they're losing by 20+.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, it's because people will compare him to other black quarterbacks as opposed to anything else.

I'm not gonna lie, but when I personally compare a black quarterback, a white quarterback does not pop into my brain. That seems to be an issue with other people as well, as Skip and Stephen A alluded too. Moon was annoyed that Newton was being compared to Vince Young when the appropriate comparison should have been Jay Cutler.

I mean VY? Really? The guy had a good rookie year, but was nothing like Newton. Newton is a pocket passer first, and the behavior he has displayed by sulking whenever they are losing is more Jay Cutler like than VY like.

It is racial when you think about it. How often is your first or second thought "This black QB reminds me of a white QB?"

Jem.

Smash Master
Well, I don't think of it that way. The way Warren Moon makes it sound is that he will get talked badly about because he is black, but that's not the case. I didn't like Charlie Whitehurst, I didn't like Tavaris Jackson, and I liked Matt Hasselbeck and Russell Wilson. Skin color means nothing to me, and it's annoying when Warren Moon and Jemele Hill in numberous occassions act like people attack their play because they're black. No, if someone is sucking, I call them out if they're white or black. And Cam Newton is immature and cant even do a press conference without sounding severely depressed and is way too cocky for his own good.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I honestly believe Broncos can make it into the post season, more so than other teams.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I don't think of it that way. The way Warren Moon makes it sound is that he will get talked badly about because he is black, but that's not the case. I didn't like Charlie Whitehurst, I didn't like Tavaris Jackson, and I liked Matt Hasselbeck and Russell Wilson. Skin color means nothing to me, and it's annoying when Warren Moon and Jemele Hill in numberous occassions act like people attack their play because they're black. No, if someone is sucking, I call them out if they're white or black. And Cam Newton is immature and cant even do a press conference without sounding severely depressed and is way too cocky for his own good.
It may mean nothing to you, but it means a lot to the people around you or those in the media. Otherwise, it would never be talked about. Cam Newton sulking in game is bigger news than Philip Rivers ever being a douche/sucking, or Jay Cutler's fiasco against GB 2 weeks ago. His performance is far more criticized compared to that of a Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassel. If you don't think Black QBs face a stigma today compared to their white counterparts, then you are really blinding yourself to reality. Black QBs are still stereotyped as inaccurate throwers, pompous attitudes, and guys who can take off and run. When they succeed, they are credited to their athleticism. When they fail, it's the reason because they are not "smart" enough compared to their white counterparts.

M@v

Subarashii!
First off, Cam is not criticized NEARLY as much as Sanchez. The guy has the most popular football media figure on the bench behind him; of course he's gonna get scrutinized. Also...hes just not that good.

When it comes to black QBs, the only one I'm criticizing a certain black QB who doesn't know how to hold onto a football. And a white QB could just as easily have as bad of a case of butterfingers as him.

In Cam's case, he has a case of not having a team to play with. Which is hilarious considering they drafted and haven't changed much from last year.

If there's one thing I'm thankful for in Pittsburgh, its that we have one of, if not the, most stable situation at QB in the entire league. Have a top 5 elite QB in Ben, then you got 2 solid backups; Charlie Batch who's been here for years and always does well when he has to play, and Byron Leftwich. Only problem with him is he has had injury problems in the past.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Well this is news to me, although, I don't pay much attention to the media beyond when the games are in session. Because I don't remember seeing black QBs being more targeted for criticisms than a white QB.

I think maybe you're looking for a problem where none may exist, in all honesty.

Top Bottom