• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nexus Smash 4! - Toms River, NJ - Sept 27, 08. -SINGLES AND DOUBLES!

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER
understand i am not the host of this tournament, i am just attending it since i live so close and doing the owner a favor by spreading the word.

"Doom" is looking for a ride, and he is willing to split gas with whoever can pick him up!

if you can give him a ride, or know someone who can hit him up at

Aim-doomsong123
Msn-doomsong123@hotmail.com

THanks, very much appreciated!!

Info
Date: September 27th, 2008
Where: Digital Nexus
Telephone: 732-551-2537
1861 Hooper Ave, Suite 8 Toms River, NJ 08753

Registration

Registration Starts at: 12 NOON
Registration ends at: 1:00pm!

THIS WAS A PROBLEM AT THE LAST TOURNAMENT

if you are going to be late! CALL US and tell us you are on your way and as long as its not like.. 1 pm and your an hour away, we will seed you into the brackets and you can pay us when you get there!

Entry Fee

15$ Singles
25$ Doubles ($12.50 per person)

Venue keeps 30%

RULES
Matches are best 2/3 games
Double Blind pick ( you tell the host your character so no one knows before each round)
Double elimination and seeding
3 stock, 7 minute
NO ITEMS!
team attack on for doubles
cannot use the same character twice in the same set
in sets that are best of 5, you may use the character more than once, but not twice in a row

OTHER RULES:
No infinate Lucas/ Ness chain grabbing.
mk infinate cape can be used to get away from opponent or out of a tight spot. NOT TO STALL!
Unessecary Stalling is an Automatic DQ.

Stages
Neutral stage selection
Battlefield
Final destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium
smashville
Yoshis island (brawl)

Counterpicks

Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Seige
Corneria
Delfino plaza
Frigate orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigis mansion
Pictochat
Rainbow Ride

all other maps are banned

no stage may be picked twice in the same set.

How its played
1st round- both players decide on a neutral stage if no one can agree you must choose random.
2nd round- the loser will pick a COUNTERPICK stage, and the winner of the 1st round must pick there character first, then the loser will pick his character.
3rd round- same as the 2nd round

PRIZE

1st- 70%
2nd- 20%
3rd- 10%

In doubles its the same.. UNLESS LESS THEN 8 TEAMS SIGN UP!

then it is

1st- 44%
2nd- 36%

if there is sumhow less then 4 teams we will work it out at the tournament.

hope to see you all there

# of people at last tournament- 33 players

P.S- The crew- IMPACT- will be hosting a STANDARD PLAY tournament at the digital nexus, that has nothing to do with the host of this tournament at all.

I will post that tournament in a week or so the date of that tournament will be

OCTOBER- 11th 2008.

edit: do to my grades in school, the second my dad finds out my progress report hell probably wait till the last second to have me cancel the impact tournament. so i will not be hosting the impact tournament. this marking period of school..

sorry =(

Kai973

Smash Journeyman
I heard you mention this event at the tournament today and I thought I'd check it out. Turns out it's over 2 hours away from me though so I can't make it.:urg:

pastaboy

Smash Champion
"-cannot use the same character twice in the same set
-in sets that are best of 5, you may use the character more than once, but not twice in a row"

um wut?

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yo tbagz. i got fourth at the other one lol u guys all left so early. and whats iwth nj tounries being 15 bucks -________- ima ask my partner if he wants to go and well be there. thanks for the info tho ima make it

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
yo tbagz. i got fourth at the other one lol u guys all left so early. and whats iwth nj tounries being 15 bucks -________- ima ask my partner if he wants to go and well be there. thanks for the info tho ima make it
honestly.. i was on an off day (no johns) and i had to play blue. i have no idea how to play sonic users, lol.

but your welcome, i would have stuck around but we had a long drive home, and very heavy rain.

nexus smash will be awesome.

and these tournaments used to be 10-20.

but the owner saw all the other tournaments and thought to bump up the price. now its a bigger pot. and hes only taking out 30%

he said if im going to host the impact tournament that has to be the same price also..

ChibiLoner

Smash Cadet
Whoo nexus tourney. Though for a poor college student like me, $15 hurts a bit. =P But I will be there hopefully.

I'm happy to see that you organized the first post pretty nicely, haha.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
if there a close train station near by? ima have to find a ride. and if tournies are gonna be 15 bucks now guess ill have to place really well to make it back ^_^i hope i can prove myself to impact and any other njz crews around here

edit* pictochat should def not be a counterpick, yoshis island melee should, pokemon statidum should be a cp not a neutrual. thats what most pple think

JusDBerube

Smash Cadet
I'd like to go but I might not be able to. I have a lot of school garbage due in Sept/early Oct. Also the fact that it's still not standard rules is a bit of a turn off. Why the increase in singles fee by $5? Will you have to play on the projectors again? Just some thoughts. Either way I'm looking forward to your standard tournament and hope I can attend.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Everyone, bring TVs to this **** so we don't have to use the projectors.

I'm going to Impact almost 100%, just need to find out about getting a ride from Dyce. 27th I'm not so sure about, I don't really want to spend $15 for something I know I won't place in. Lucario's my only tourney-valid character.

Hefaustos

Smash Journeyman
Hm, Toms river, not too far away not bad, Do any of U know how to get there by train or bus? I live in NEwark, NJ n will prolly be using Newark Penn Station, im Def. able to attend, can any1 help me out?? = ]

Ralza

Smash Rookie
Hm, Toms river, not too far away not bad, Do any of U know how to get there by train or bus? I live in NEwark, NJ n will prolly be using Newark Penn Station, im Def. able to attend, can any1 help me out?? = ]
i know theres a NJ bus terminal about 15 minutes away from the place on water St. the problem is getting home, that i am un-aware about.

ill probably be there

Inui

Banned via Warnings
This is my birthday.

I think I'll host a huge tournament at my hotel on this day. :)

Much cheaper entry + no money taken from the pot + certified and successful host. ;)

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
This is my birthday.

Much cheaper entry + no money taken from the pot + certified and successful host. ;)

can never let us have 1 tournament to ourselves, not all of us have a hotel to rent out.

and im not the host.

why cant you be a fellow smasher and just hold your tournament the week after ours? and enjoy your birthday =)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This is my birthday.

i dont want to start an argument as orion pointed out the other day, but seriously inui, how can u do **** like this. this is the second nexus smash tourney in a row you have done this to. hes had the date for much longer, and both tourneys are in new jersey. this is downright wrong. who cares if your tourney is better, delay it a week. and you know what your doing. the arrogance in your post is evident, and you know that in the end you will steal all of his attendance. why do you have to be such a ****

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
i dont want to start an argument as orion pointed out the other day, but seriously inui, how can u do **** like this. this is the second nexus smash tourney in a row you have done this to. hes had the date for much longer, and both tourneys are in new jersey. this is downright wrong. who cares if your tourney is better, delay it a week. and you know what your doing. the arrogance in your post is evident, and you know that in the end you will steal all of his attendance. why do you have to be such a ****
thanks thats exactly what i wanted to say... just didnt want to start a problem.. but yeah what chibo said

Max Ketchum

Inui, that's a real d*ck move...Despite your tourney being the obviously better choice (cheaper, no gay rules, bigger pot, better turnout, better venue, etc...), Nexus already set this **** up for that date. Like M2K suggested, you could just host it on Sunday (Friday afternoon is a pretty bad idea, seeing as people will have school and it'll run late as hell), or even better just a different week. I'd come if it were on the 20th or the 4th (October obviously) without a problem, but I really can't speak for the entire community.

tl;dr: Don't be a d*ck and interfere with his date. Plan it for Sunday (not the best idea but still doable) or a week before/after.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Hmm.

Why should people be nice to a tournament host that has terrible rules, ***** the pot, and charges a lot?

I'll host my event on another day...maybe.

Max Ketchum

Thanks Inui. Even though I'm not hosting this or have really any part in it, it's good to see that you're actually doing something nice like that. <_<

I'd totally come if you make it next weekend (20th).

Edit: M2K, Sunday is a bad idea during the school year, especially for someone like me. Princeton is a bit over an hour from where I live, and to get back in time for bed (well, in time for my parents not to flip **** about me being out late) on a school night is kinda limiting. Saturday is the best day for events like this.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
No, Jason, it's terrible for me to have it on Sunday because then I don't get to spend time with my family. Sunday is when I'd be celebrating my birthday with them, you nub, lol.

The stage rules are abysmal. The pot split being 60/30/10 is much more fair. The character thing is silly. Is there any way we can get these things changed? It's the only way this tournament can earn any respect. The last one was so poorly run and had such terrible rules that it's considered invalid for the rankings of this state's players.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
No, Jason, it's terrible for me to have it on Sunday because then I don't get to spend time with my family. Sunday is when I'd be celebrating my birthday with them, you nub, lol.

The stage rules are abysmal. The pot split being 60/30/10 is much more fair. The character thing is silly. Is there any way we can get these things changed? It's the only way this tournament can earn any respect. The last one was so poorly run and had such terrible rules that it's considered invalid for the rankings of this state's players.
its not my tournament, lol. ive tried to have the owner change the rules but he strongly dis-agrees. and has very high dignity about his rules..

my tournaments rules will be better then this.

but, thanks for not making a tournament on the same date.

i personally dont mind these rules because i can use way more then 1 character well.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
Hmm.

Why should people be nice to a tournament host that has terrible rules, ***** the pot, and charges a lot?

I'll host my event on another day...maybe.
because being nice is curteous in the smash community, instead of being a ****, sadley this player does not play brawl but enjoys watching the game and seeing us have fun.

The owner/ host of this tournament is a kind hearted person who goes out of his way to do anything possible to keep his LAN center from closing.

why should i be nice to you if you host a tournament? ive heard your the biggest **** in the smash community of NJ, but who am i to judge?

what im trying to say is,

be nice, and people will respect you back.

you cant judge people on there rulesets.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
why should i be nice to you if you host a tournament? ive heard your the biggest **** in the smash community of NJ, but who am i to judge?

be nice, and people will respect you back.

you cant judge people on there rulesets.
I don't want your kindness. It's not like my attendance will be hurt by this event. South Jersey almost never attends my events. We'd lose...Mew2King? Then others actually have a shot at the large pot, so it works out in the end anways, right?

I'm nice to those that deserve that. I'm not nice to just anyone I see anywhere.

I can judge their ability as a host and player partially by their rulesets, and this owner is a failure.

Why can't you make the rules actually acceptable?

Max Ketchum

The rules are absolutely terrible. His reason for it is a load of **** too. I'm pretty sure his reasoning is that it "brings out the truly best player" based on their ability to play multiple characters, which is bull****. I posted a long example about this on another site, but I'm quite sure that everyone here is smart enough to know why.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
i personally dont mind these rules because i can use way more then 1 character well.
thats not the point

some people rely on counterpicks to win vs certain characters such as ddd who **** characters.

the rules just promote spamming snake/mk/random top tier or main in each set instead of just using your main because you can get screwed out of a counterpick for no reason

Top Bottom