• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Smash's core mechanics don't change from game to game. It's a platform fighting series and just because some games are easier on the newcomers doesn't mean you can't play them as a fighting game.

Also, you know, people can also play 64 and Melee at parties.
Smash's mechanics definitely do change. The hitstun, DI, and mobility changes from game to game are enough to give each one a distinct feel. And I never said being newcomer friendly and competitively deep are mutually exclusive. Just that Ultimate treated them as such.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Now THIS is a roster. >.>

View attachment 387745
Ah yes. The Smash 10 CSS.

There's something I've been thinking about; if Kunio and Riki does get in, there's a very good chance that the Double Dragon theme will come along with them. It's been a part of the River City series ever since it had its own set of Double Dragons. But I got a feeling that if fans do hear that theme, it's going to inevitably lead to fans wanting the Double Dragon series to be represented (by Billy and Jimmy, of course). Now I know there are times when series are represented only by music but in this case, I do feel it would be awkward for a series like Double Dragon.
And that's why Billy and Jimmy will get Mii Brawler costumes.

This is awful, way too many characters to balance the roster bloat is insane.
Balance is for acrobats.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
I think the next Smash game should bring back Event Matches and All-Star Mode.
Faxx. "oh but they already have All-Star-"

No no no. I'm talkin' REAL All-Star. That Weenie Hut Jr stuff they tried to do with All Star in Multi-Man Smash doesn't count, that's some "we have All-Stars at home" crap. I want the real **** where you enter the gauntlet and beat up all 89 fighters one by one (or series by series but still).

"oh but there's too many fighters now, it'd never work-"

Just add more healing items if it woulda been that much of an issue. I'm a masochist, trust me I accept the terms and conditions, just lemme at em.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
-> play rivals
-> opponent mains shovel knight and orcane
-> I proceed to get bodied
-> ragequit and play smash infinity instead
-> opponent mains shovel knight and orcane

-> play ultimate marvel vs capcom 3
-> opponent picks zero may cry team
-> i get obliterated
-> "**** this, let's play some squad strike in smash infinity"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
-> play ultimate marvel vs capcom 3
-> i get obliterated
-> "**** this, let's play some squad strike in smash infinity"

This is a perfectly realistic scenario

Zero and Vergil are both legally required to be OP in everything

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Going to ask a question, since this will help me determine something I am planning to slightly tweak soon.
Between Rosalina and Bowser Jr., which of the two do you genuinely see as being lower-priority at this current point in time?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
They'd be risking the backlash.
If Dante, Shantae, Doom slayer and Sans didn't give them backslash for being Mii, I don't think Billy and Jimmy is going to break them.

Going to ask a question, since this will help me determine something I am planning to slightly tweak soon.
Between Rosalina and Bowser Jr., which of the two do you genuinely see as being lower-priority at this current point in time?
I would consider Rosalina a bit less important. If Rosalina was playbale in Mario bros wonder I think it would have help her a lot, but at this point her last big roles in a mainline game was 3d world, while Bowser Jr. has stayed more consistent than Rosalina thanks to his big role in Bowser's fury and Wonder. He's also more used in rpg titles, appearing recently in Origami king while Rosalina never appeared in the rpg subseries.

Ivander

Smash Legend
A subject I kinda want to return to and speculate about...
It helps when live services only make you pay for skins and give you everything else for free. But...I don't think Smash can go that route.
looks at all the costumes that the Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Street Fighter, Splatoon and Mii characters can get, as well as Samus, Shulk, Joker, Cloud, Bayonetta, Hero, Terry, Kazuya and Sora
some of the other characters not mentioned also have additional outfits from their own games, but nowhere near as many as the aforementioned

It certainly could.
On the subject of an F2P Smash Bros that has a focus on costumes/skins/etc, obviously as I said, some of the franchises and characters have a ton of costumes to pull from without worrying about running out. Then you have the ones who don't really have any costumes to pull from, like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.
But what I'm curious about is how would you react to original costumes based around different franchises? Not so much taking the outfit of another character from a different franchise, but like, they get an original costume based on what those characters would wear or have in that specific franchise. Probably the biggest example would be Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm MOBA game where their characters from Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, etc, have skins that are supposed to be what they would be if they were in that franchise instead.
That said, while Heroes of the Storm is probably the biggest example, the game that actually got me thinking about this was Capcom's Teppen game, which, yes, is still going and is getting a PC Release now. For those who haven't seen me talking about Teppen, Teppen is an action-paced card game based around Capcom's franchises:
  • From the big ones like Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, etc
  • to decently known ones like Darkstalkers, Strider, Breath of Fire, Lost Planet, Onimusha, and recently Rival Schools
  • to cult classics like Red Earth, Haunting Ground, Cyberbots, Cannon Spike
  • to outright unknown games that were only released in Japan or on mobile like CrossXBeats, Onimusha Soul, Otoranger and Megami Meguri
  • to even characters and references like Blade, Khyber, F7 and Arcane from the Street Fighter the Movie Arcade game and Cyborg from the Street Fighter II animated movie and interactive game.
Yeah, not only do you have a really good number of Capcom's known franchises, but there are also some really deep cuts in terms of franchises and characters. It's very fascinating and interesting. But back to the subject, one of the fascinating things about Teppen is how it mixes together different franchises for different Card sets that focus around why these characters are together and whatnot in the setting they've been placed in.
Like one pack was literally Arthur going through the Resident Evil 8 village facing against the Four Lords and Mother Miranda to save Princess Prin Prin, there are two Ace Attorney sets that have Pheonix Wright and Apollo Justice respectively trying to solve cases that have a ton of characters from different franchises and both are incredibly hilarious story-wise, there's a Card set where Leon teams up with Regina, Gail and Rick from Dino Crisis to go through the Dino Crisis setting. Oh, and Leon roundhouse kicks a Velociraptor.
And recently with the 2 latest packs, they go into outright Alternate Universe territory. Specifically:
  • After a whole bunch of characters, including Leon, Regina and Ada Wong, work together to fight against Sigma and his army of Mirage Soldiers that basically mimic some of the strongest fighters in the different franchises, Leon and Ada are sucked into a vortex that came forth from Sigma's fortress after it was destroyed and it sends them into an Alternate reality of Neo Arcadia from the Megaman Zero universe where instead of being on a destroyed Earth, Neo Arcadia takes place on E.D.N III, the planet from Lost Planet and takes place during Zero 3 where Dr. Weil has recently revived Copy X and has also brainwashed some humans, including Rebecca and Billy from Resident Evil, into becoming Reploid-killers to hunt down the Resistance. Meanwhile, any humans who rebel are forced into the icy wastelands where they are attacked and eaten by the Akrid, the main monsters from Lost Planet, so that the Akrid can generate more thermal energy that can be harvested from them.
    Leon is found by the cast of Lost Planet who have been aiding the Resistance lead by MMZ Zero and Ciel. Leon would eventually become the pilot for the Vital Suit Mech, PTX-040 from Lost Planet, and reunites with Ada who is in the form of a Cyber Elf and helping Zero. I'm not kidding.

It's Ada Wong, as a Cyber-Elf, from Megaman Zero. And while they say it was the Ada Wong who was with Leon, it's implied that Cyber-Elf Ada might actually be this alternate universe's Ada who became a Cyber-elf, as some other RE characters also make an appearance here, like Rebecca and Billy who have been brainwashed and while Cyber-Elf Ada sacrifices herself against Copy X to allow Zero to kill him, a Red-colored PTX-040 called Mystery VS Red Spider, complete with a crossbow that Ada uses, appears and aids Leon and the Resistance against Bandero, a sadistic cyborg from Lost Planet, and his Vital Suit Mech, implying that the pilot in the Red Spider VS might be the Ada that was with Leon before the vortex caught them.
  • Our next Alternate Universe Card set, the most recent one we got, is based in Rival Schools. Why is it Alternate Universe? Because besides the cast of Rival Schools,
    We have Cammy, Maya Fey, Morrigan and frickin' Sigma as students, Chun-Li is a teacher, Sasquatch from Darkstalkers is the Principal, Colonel from Megaman X is a Moral committee member, Juri is a delinquent with a rivalry against Akira, some of the Sengoku Basara cast like Oichi, Date, Yukimura, appear, all of whom are based on that one Sengoku Basara school-based anime. And we have Nathaniel Bard from RE3 Remake who ends up creating a Neptune who appears in the school's pool, a Lurker taking a shower and a Web Spinner. Sakura from Street Fighter and Ibuki also appear as students and Jedah from Darkstalkers also appears as a delinquent of some kind.
    And the whole plot of this alternate universe is that Rival School's Daigo is graduating and retiring from being a Bancho boss(could possibly take place after Project Justice) and both Morrigan and Sigma, both of whom are students, want to take over the part. Morrigan wants to make the school have more scandalous clothing while Sigma wants to impose a Strong eating the weak manifesto that would expel all the weak students not making an effort to become better. So Batsu and Cammy, both wanting to prevent either from happening, also compete for the title of Bancho Boss.

And basically, it's a straightforward free-for-all during the Nekketsu Battle Royale. For the most part, Batsu and Sigma fight each other while Cammy and Morrigan face-off until at some point, a cat's life nearby got in danger and Cammy chose the cat over victory. Batsu ends up unintentionally winning against Morrigan by taking his coat off during his battle against Sigma and Morrigan loses by a literal "Oh no, he's hot!" moment, leaving only Batsu and Sigma fighting until Batsu wins against Sigma. And how can you still tell this is an Alternate Universe? Sigma for once in his life has the trope, "Defeat equals Friendship" applied to him as Batsu helps Sigma up after his defeat.

Yes, it's as insane as it sounds.
Basically, for a hypothetical F2P Smash Bros. that focuses on costumes and in some characters' cases, will need original outfits to keep up with the characters that have plenty of outfits, what would you think about hypothetical costumes for characters where they are given outfits on what they would look like in that specific universe similar to the Heroes of the Storm crossover costumes and the two Teppen AU packs in the spoiler? Like say, if this F2P Smash Bros. got a new Xenoblade character and in celebration, some of the characters already in the game get new outfits based on what they would look like in Xenoblade? And whatnot with other characters and franchises?
And to have a bit more fun with them, bring back Event Mode similar to the ones in Melee and for each new set of stuff that comes, make a set of Event Mode matches featuring the character/s and new outfits in the style of a small story, including some story backgrounds and finishing up all the Event matches gives a special Ending-like photo featuring the characters and outfits.

It might just be me, but considering how much I've been enjoying the wild shenanigans that the Teppen card sets have brought, there's a part of me that wants to see something similar with the Smash Bros. characters, with some of the characters in some Alternate Universe based around a franchise with outfits based around said franchise and alternate universe.
Plus, it reminded me of some of the Artworks of people putting Smash characters in Fire Emblem classes, like Samus being a Knight/General with her armor styled around her suit or Mario and Luigi being in Red and green cavalier armor respectively based around the Red and Green Cavaliers. Or some of the Pokemon Fan-teams of different characters from different franchises.
Like I'm still iffy regarding an F2P Smash Bros overall, but I wouldn't be against an F2P Smash Bros. trying to have fun and be more creative and wacky with it's characters and settings.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If Dante, Shantae, Doom slayer and Sans didn't give them backslash for being Mii, I don't think Billy and Jimmy is going to break them.
Those series' situations were different from Double Dragon's and if fans hear the series theme in the game, I don't think they'll be happy with anything less than a playable appearance.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Those series' situations were different from Double Dragon's and if fans hear the series theme in the game, I don't think they'll be happy with anything less than a playable appearance.
But...
That's what happens to any franchise without playable representation.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
A subject I kinda want to return to and speculate about...

On the subject of an F2P Smash Bros that has a focus on costumes/skins/etc, obviously as I said, some of the franchises and characters have a ton of costumes to pull from without worrying about running out. Then you have the ones who don't really have any costumes to pull from, like Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer, etc.
But what I'm curious about is how would you react to original costumes based around different franchises? Not so much taking the outfit of another character from a different franchise, but like, they get an original costume based on what those characters would wear or have in that specific franchise. Probably the biggest example would be Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm MOBA game where their characters from Warcraft, Starcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, etc, have skins that are supposed to be what they would be if they were in that franchise instead.
That said, while Heroes of the Storm is probably the biggest example, the game that actually got me thinking about this was Capcom's Teppen game, which, yes, is still going and is getting a PC Release now. For those who haven't seen me talking about Teppen, Teppen is an action-paced card game based around Capcom's franchises:
  • From the big ones like Street Fighter, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, etc
  • to decently known ones like Darkstalkers, Strider, Breath of Fire, Lost Planet, Onimusha, and recently Rival Schools
  • to cult classics like Red Earth, Haunting Ground, Cyberbots, Cannon Spike
  • to outright unknown games that were only released in Japan or on mobile like CrossXBeats, Onimusha Soul, Otoranger and Megami Meguri
  • to even characters and references like Blade, Khyber, F7 and Arcane from the Street Fighter the Movie Arcade game and Cyborg from the Street Fighter II animated movie and interactive game.
Yeah, not only do you have a really good number of Capcom's known franchises, but there are also some really deep cuts in terms of franchises and characters. It's very fascinating and interesting. But back to the subject, one of the fascinating things about Teppen is how it mixes together different franchises for different Card sets that focus around why these characters are together and whatnot in the setting they've been placed in.
Like one pack was literally Arthur going through the Resident Evil 8 village facing against the Four Lords and Mother Miranda to save Princess Prin Prin, there are two Ace Attorney sets that have Pheonix Wright and Apollo Justice respectively trying to solve cases that have a ton of characters from different franchises and both are incredibly hilarious story-wise, there's a Card set where Leon teams up with Regina, Gail and Rick from Dino Crisis to go through the Dino Crisis setting. Oh, and Leon roundhouse kicks a Velociraptor.
And recently with the 2 latest packs, they go into outright Alternate Universe territory. Specifically:
  • After a whole bunch of characters, including Leon, Regina and Ada Wong, work together to fight against Sigma and his army of Mirage Soldiers that basically mimic some of the strongest fighters in the different franchises, Leon and Ada are sucked into a vortex that came forth from Sigma's fortress after it was destroyed and it sends them into an Alternate reality of Neo Arcadia from the Megaman Zero universe where instead of being on a destroyed Earth, Neo Arcadia takes place on E.D.N III, the planet from Lost Planet and takes place during Zero 3 where Dr. Weil has recently revived Copy X and has also brainwashed some humans, including Rebecca and Billy from Resident Evil, into becoming Reploid-killers to hunt down the Resistance. Meanwhile, any humans who rebel are forced into the icy wastelands where they are attacked and eaten by the Akrid, the main monsters from Lost Planet, so that the Akrid can generate more thermal energy that can be harvested from them.
    Leon is found by the cast of Lost Planet who have been aiding the Resistance lead by MMZ Zero and Ciel. Leon would eventually become the pilot for the Vital Suit Mech, PTX-040 from Lost Planet, and reunites with Ada who is in the form of a Cyber Elf and helping Zero. I'm not kidding.

It's Ada Wong, as a Cyber-Elf, from Megaman Zero. And while they say it was the Ada Wong who was with Leon, it's implied that Cyber-Elf Ada might actually be this alternate universe's Ada who became a Cyber-elf, as some other RE characters also make an appearance here, like Rebecca and Billy who have been brainwashed and while Cyber-Elf Ada sacrifices herself against Copy X to allow Zero to kill him, a Red-colored PTX-040 called Mystery VS Red Spider, complete with a crossbow that Ada uses, appears and aids Leon and the Resistance against Bandero, a sadistic cyborg from Lost Planet, and his Vital Suit Mech, implying that the pilot in the Red Spider VS might be the Ada that was with Leon before the vortex caught them.
  • Our next Alternate Universe Card set, the most recent one we got, is based in Rival Schools. Why is it Alternate Universe? Because besides the cast of Rival Schools,
    We have Cammy, Maya Fey, Morrigan and frickin' Sigma as students, Chun-Li is a teacher, Sasquatch from Darkstalkers is the Principal, Colonel from Megaman X is a Moral committee member, Juri is a delinquent with a rivalry against Akira, some of the Sengoku Basara cast like Oichi, Date, Yukimura, appear, all of whom are based on that one Sengoku Basara school-based anime. And we have Nathaniel Bard from RE3 Remake who ends up creating a Neptune who appears in the school's pool, a Lurker taking a shower and a Web Spinner. Sakura from Street Fighter and Ibuki also appear as students and Jedah from Darkstalkers also appears as a delinquent of some kind.
    And the whole plot of this alternate universe is that Rival School's Daigo is graduating and retiring from being a Bancho boss(could possibly take place after Project Justice) and both Morrigan and Sigma, both of whom are students, want to take over the part. Morrigan wants to make the school have more scandalous clothing while Sigma wants to impose a Strong eating the weak manifesto that would expel all the weak students not making an effort to become better. So Batsu and Cammy, both wanting to prevent either from happening, also compete for the title of Bancho Boss.

And basically, it's a straightforward free-for-all during the Nekketsu Battle Royale. For the most part, Batsu and Sigma fight each other while Cammy and Morrigan face-off until at some point, a cat's life nearby got in danger and Cammy chose the cat over victory. Batsu ends up unintentionally winning against Morrigan by taking his coat off during his battle against Sigma and Morrigan loses by a literal "Oh no, he's hot!" moment, leaving only Batsu and Sigma fighting until Batsu wins against Sigma. And how can you still tell this is an Alternate Universe? Sigma for once in his life has the trope, "Defeat equals Friendship" applied to him as Batsu helps Sigma up after his defeat.

Yes, it's as insane as it sounds.
Basically, for a hypothetical F2P Smash Bros. that focuses on costumes and in some characters' cases, will need original outfits to keep up with the characters that have plenty of outfits, what would you think about hypothetical costumes for characters where they are given outfits on what they would look like in that specific universe similar to the Heroes of the Storm crossover costumes and the two Teppen AU packs in the spoiler? Like say, if this F2P Smash Bros. got a new Xenoblade character and in celebration, some of the characters already in the game get new outfits based on what they would look like in Xenoblade? And whatnot with other characters and franchises?
And to have a bit more fun with them, bring back Event Mode similar to the ones in Melee and for each new set of stuff that comes, make a set of Event Mode matches featuring the character/s and new outfits in the style of a small story, including some story backgrounds and finishing up all the Event matches gives a special Ending-like photo featuring the characters and outfits.

It might just be me, but considering how much I've been enjoying the wild shenanigans that the Teppen card sets have brought, there's a part of me that wants to see something similar with the Smash Bros. characters, with some of the characters in some Alternate Universe based around a franchise with outfits based around said franchise and alternate universe.
Plus, it reminded me of some of the Artworks of people putting Smash characters in Fire Emblem classes, like Samus being a Knight/General with her armor styled around her suit or Mario and Luigi being in Red and green cavalier armor respectively based around the Red and Green Cavaliers. Or some of the Pokemon Fan-teams of different characters from different franchises.
Like I'm still iffy regarding an F2P Smash Bros overall, but I wouldn't be against an F2P Smash Bros. trying to have fun and be more creative and wacky with it's characters and settings.
I would absolutely love something like this, but the odds of it actually happening are sadly not that great. Current Smash still doesn't have a decent selection of alts, so I don't see them suddenly jumping to something like this even if it was a F2P/GaaS scenario. Plus, you just know that certain characters still wouldn't get anything. Sega and Square for example, have zero issue giving characters crazy alts in their own games (Speed Battle/Ever Crisis), but they treat guest appearances differently.

What makes DD so different that it absolutely requires "playable or nothing" scenario? Obviously, plenty of fans would prefer having them actually be playable fighters but the same is true for just about every other character that gets AT'd or Mii'd.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would absolutely love something like this, but the odds of it actually happening are sadly not that great. Current Smash still doesn't have a decent selection of alts, so I don't see them suddenly jumping to something like this even if it was a F2P/GaaS scenario. Plus, you just know that certain characters still wouldn't get anything. Sega and Square for example, have zero issue giving characters crazy alts in their own games (Speed Battle/Ever Crisis), but they treat guest appearances differently.
Oh, absolutely. Like I already said it was for a "hypothetical" F2P Smash. I absolutely don't see a F2P/GaaS scenario happening with Smash Bros with how much the Fighters Passes sell like hotcakes. But nevertheless, there's nothing wrong with discussing hypothetical scenarios, including topics that may or may not appear in the next Smash Bros.

Edit: And it did give me an excuse to bring up Teppen again. :awesome:

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
But...
That's what happens to any franchise without playable representation.
But in some cases, it'll upset the fanbases. We've seen this with characters like Travis Touchdown, for example.

What makes DD so different that it absolutely requires "playable or nothing" scenario? Obviously, plenty of fans would prefer having them actually be playable fighters but the same is true for just about every other character that gets AT'd or Mii'd.
It's more to do with fans' reaction, which I think would be different with Double Dragon compared to the other series. Capcom already had three characters. I don't think anybody was expecting a fourth one. Sans and Doom Slayer weren't expected either, as far as I know. Just mentioned as cool ideas. Shantae was already a spirit before she was a Mii fighter, so her chances of being playable was unlikely.

If fans hear a theme from Double Dragon, a series that they likely grew up on (in some cases, more than River City), they're likely going to go "Double Dragon! I love that series! You know what? What if Billy and Jimmy were in Smash Bros?" I mean, they might as well just go for it while they're at it.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
But in some cases, it'll upset the fanbases. We've seen this with characters like Travis Touchdown, for example.

It's more to do with fans' reaction, which I think would be different with Double Dragon compared to the other series. Capcom already had three characters. I don't think anybody was expecting a fourth one. Sans and Doom Slayer weren't expected either, as far as I know. Just mentioned as ideas. Shantae was already a spirit before she was a Mii fighter, so her chances of being playable was unlikely.

If fans hear a theme from Double Dragon, a series that they likely grew up on, maybe more than River City, they're likely going to go "Double Dragon! I love that series! You know what? What if Billy and Jimmy were in Smash Bros?" I mean, they might as well just go for it while they're at it.
I don't think fan's reactions would change all that much though. The only case that blew up a little was Dante because fans convinced themselves he'd be in a fighters pass due to poor timing with that one Capcom announcement for DMC.

I don't think there are people actively expecting a Double Dragon character if I can be perfectly frank. For people that grew up with DD it'll be a pleasant surprise but not something that's expected to happen. The heyday of DD and beat 'em ups in general has long since passed. It's pretty niche, and I think fans can understand that. Some people would be disappointed, but I think the number of people who would be at least happy to see the series acknowledged would be around the same. You'll always get people who are disappointed/upset, that I can agree on, but what makes DD in particular a standout here?

You could say the "x grew up with it" or "they may as well if they're bothering for the rights" for any number of series that got non-playable representation.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
This is a perfectly realistic scenario

Zero and Vergil are both legally required to be OP in everything
Be grateful that there are no Marvel characters, for obvious reasons.
At least is not the SmashAU subreddit, where everything, everywhere, and everyone in existence can happen, all at once.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

It's more to do with fans' reaction, which I think would be different with Double Dragon compared to the other series. Capcom already had three characters. I don't think anybody was expecting a fourth one. Sans and Doom Slayer weren't expected either, as far as I know. Just mentioned as cool ideas. Shantae was already a spirit before she was a Mii fighter, so her chances of being playable was unlikely.

If fans hear a theme from Double Dragon, a series that they likely grew up on (in some cases, more than River City), they're likely going to go "Double Dragon! I love that series! You know what? What if Billy and Jimmy were in Smash Bros?" I mean, they might as well just go for it while they're at it.
You are way overinflating the importance and size of the Double Dragon fanbase. It's a supremely niche series, and for niche series, they're lucky to get anything at all.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think fan's reactions would change all that much though. The only case that blew up a little was Dante because fans convinced themselves he'd be in a fighters pass due to poor timing with that one Capcom announcement for DMC.

I don't think there are people actively expecting a Double Dragon character if I can be perfectly frank. For people that grew up with DD it'll be a pleasant surprise but not something that's expected to happen. The heyday of DD and beat 'em ups in general has long since passed. It's pretty niche, and I think fans can understand that. Some people would be disappointed, but I think the number of people who would be at least happy to see the series acknowledged would be around the same. You'll always get people who are disappointed/upset, that I can agree on, but what makes DD in particular a standout here?

You could say the "x grew up with it" or "they may as well if they're bothering for the rights" for any number of series that got non-playable representation.
I'm not saying fans are expecting Billy and Jimmy right now. I don't even think they're being discussed all that much as characters for Smash. What I am saying is that if Kunio and Riki gets in, I'm pretty sure that the Double Dragon theme is going to come with them and that's what's going to boost up more talks about Double Dragon characters in Smash. Knowing how familiar many fans are with a franchise of such significance, if they hear the main theme, it'll no doubt sink in how they could have turned out and what they could bring if they were playable characters.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think it's known for sure. It's just agreed to be a very strong possibility given what we do know about the game's development. But maybe not!
According to the project plan shown here, his specials would've been completely different. There's also some Dragon King footage here, he has a drill kick that Falcon never did.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
As somebody whose cat was once pet by somebody whose uncle works at Nintendo, this is real, but it doesn't include the unlockable characters. Like Ultimate, you start off with only a very small portion of the roster.
This CSS is actually the very small portion of the roster.
:troll: according to an elevator repairman that works in the Germany HQ of Nintendo, some of the unlockable characters include:
  • Woody Woodpecker
  • Jeffy SML
  • Shopping Cart
  • Akatsuki (Akatsuki Blitzkampf)
  • Tatsu (Xenoblade X)
And that's just the only ones they mention, there are more that no one knows

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I personally view Mii outfits for characters I would've wanted as equal parts consolation and bandage-ripping. If they're not coming I'd rather know sooner than later such that I'm not burned endlessly, and if I can do that with a pretty cool costume for fighters I actually enjoy playing as, all the better.

Top Bottom