• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Yeah, I do like Meowscarada and the rest of its line but we just had a Dark type bipedal cat starter and I don’t care for the other starter lines from this gen. Ghost and Bug probably have the highest number of my absolute favorite Pokemon (listed above) so I’d love to see one from either of those types. Neither type has had a Smash character yet.
There's currently six types that haven't been repped yet in Smash, those being Ghost, Dragon, Ice, Bug, Ground, and Rock.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Honestly I think people take Pokémon types in the context of Smash way too seriously. Like yeah Meowscarada is dark, but it would share next to nothing with Incineroar. The only dark type move Incineroar have in Smash is Darkest lariat and Meowscarda would obviously not have this move. I think Meowscarda could join based on their own merits, which is that it's a fairly popular mons and the magician themed could bring a fun gimmick.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If there are two franchises that deserve cuts the most its pokemon/ fire emblem!
If you guys argue they should get more characters because they are (rotating franchises) than they should well...
rotatate cut out Lucina nad chrome or someone else if you want to see more characters in smash 6!
I feel like Pokémon is a huge enough franchise that it deserves about as many characters as Mario. Fire Emblem I’ll agree is a bit over represented in terms of sheer number of characters but that’s partially due to “Everyone is Here!” in combination that several of the characters are fairly easy variants on existing characters. That means they don’t take anywhere near the same amount of resources as a fully unique character. Thinking about it that way, Lucina, Chrom and Roy don’t save too much development time by cutting so leaving them makes some sense. Cutting someone like Corrin, Robin, or Byleth would free up more time for other characters if you wanted to trim down.

Honestly I think people take Pokémon types in the context of Smash way too seriously. Like yeah Meowscarada is dark, but it would share next to nothing with Incineroar. The only dark type move Incineroar have in Smash is Darkest lariat and Meowscarda would obviously not have this move. I think Meowscarda could join based on their own merits, which is that it's a fairly popular mons and the magician themed could bring a fun gimmick.
That is true. My issue isn’t with type alone but that it’s also another bipedal cat starter after we just got one. I agree they would play completely differently, I just prefer to see something other than a starter and a different animal. I still like Meowscarada so I’d be okay, there’s just others I’d be more excited for.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Out of Paldea's starters I think that Quaquaval is actually the best fit for Smash.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
When I say I want certain types to be represented I just mean for moveset potential. A Ghost type would lead to some really creative and unique attacks in a fighting game.

I don't think anyone is pretending that Incineroar and Greninja are great representatives of Dark.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
When I say I want certain types to be represented I just mean for moveset potential. A Ghost type would lead to some really creative and unique attacks in a fighting game.

I don't think anyone is pretending that Incineroar and Greninja are great representatives of Dark.
Incineroar barely has any Fire based moves in Smash either actually.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Yeah but my point is that type doesn't matter really in the context of Smash bros compared to Pokémon. Mewtwo use Shadow ball and it work the same way than Lucario using Aurasphere despite the first one being a Ghost type move and the second being Fighting type. I don't think a ghost type Pokémon would be neceseraliy super creative, it just depends on the Mons itself. I don't think that Marshadow, Annilhilape or Ceruledge would have the most creative moveset ever just for being ghost.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I think the best way to do Eevee is to base it off its Let’s Go Eevee moveset. That Eevee had a ton of exclusive moves representing the different elements it could evolve into. You could even add a bit of visual flare by creating a spectral version of that evolution behind Eevee when it uses the corresponding attack. It would mostly just be a visual thing and wouldn’t affect the move itself. This could call back to Eevee’s Z move from Sun and Moon (Extreme Eevoboost). That Z move could also work great as a Final Smash. This way, Eevee could still reference its evolutions without having to actually evolve mid battle.

Here’s a basic description I found online for each of your partner Eevee’s exclusive attacks. There’s more than enough to work with here for a really unique and interesting moveset (the attack names are really dumb, I know lol):

MovePowerTypeEffect
Bouncy Bubble90water IconHeal for 50% of the damage dealt
Buzzy Buzz90electric IconAlways cause Paralyze on hit
Sizzly Slide90fire IconAlways cause Burn on hit
Glitzy Glow90Psychic IconCreates Reflector that halves Special damage dealt
Baddy Bad90dark IconCreates Reflector that halves Physical damage dealt
Sappy Seed90Grass IconPlant a HP leeching seed on target
Freezy Frost90Ice IconResets all Stat Bonus for all Pokemon on field
Sparkly Swirl90Fairy IconHeals ally's Status Effect
Veevee VolleyVariesNormal IconPower changes depending on Friendliness, never misses
I'm more talking about putting this together as a moveset in a fighting game, something you can feasibly dumb down to a very quick descriptor. Cutesy Elementalist Fox/Cat/Dog is a good start but I feel there needs to be proper visualisation to help finalise it. Sizzly Slide and Sappy Seed from what I recall of their animations could lend well to a side special and maybe a recovery respectively but the other moves I have a tougher time fitting in.

rotatate cut out Lucina nad chrome or someone else if you want to see more characters in smash 6!
Cutting two echo fighters will not yield you two other characters unless you also have echo fighters in mind

Dragon, Ice,

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm more talking about putting this together as a moveset in a fighting game, something you can feasibly dumb down to a very quick descriptor. Cutesy Elementalist Fox/Cat/Dog is a good start but I feel there needs to be proper visualisation to help finalise it. Sizzly Slide and Sappy Seed from what I recall of their animations could lend well to a side special and maybe a recovery respectively but the other moves I have a tougher time fitting in.

Cutting two echo fighters will not yield you two other characters unless you also have echo fighters in mind

I maybe I’ll try to flesh out a moveset for Eevee at some point. I do really like some of its evolutions but I’m mostly indifferent to Eevee itself so it’s not super high on my list. I just think there’s plenty of material to work with for a really unique moveset.

As far as Dragon/Ice goes, this is just personal preference but I’m not a fan of Baxcalibur’s design. I’d be a bit disappointed if they went that route since another Dragon/Ice type is one of my favorites:

1712322972449.png

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Ghost Ground and Dragon are new but Ivysaur is technically a Poison type
Ah, you're right. Forgot about that.

Honestly I think people take Pokémon types in the context of Smash way too seriously. Like yeah Meowscarada is dark, but it would share next to nothing with Incineroar.
It's mostly about representation.

Smash 4 was perfect in this regard. It had 6 Pokemon, covering a total of 10 Types, with NO overlap.

But then Smash Ultimate spoiled it. Brought back Squrtle and Pichu. And added Incineroar. Giving us 4 redundant Types. We coulda got Decidueye. Giving us Grass and Ghost. But noooo. We had to have the wrestlecat.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ah, you're right. Forgot about that.

It's mostly about representation.

Smash 4 was perfect in this regard. It had 6 Pokemon, covering a total of 10 Types, with NO overlap.

But then Smash Ultimate spoiled it. Brought back Squrtle and Pichu. And added Incineroar. Giving us 4 redundant Types. We coulda got Decidueye. Giving us Grass and Ghost. But noooo. We had to have the wrestlecat.
I feel like Incineroar was probably the more unique moveset wise. Decidueye and Dark Pit would have had some overlap as both are winged archers with shadowy arrows. We didn’t really have a wrestler yet. Thats not to say Decidueye wouldn’t have had enough material to stand out, just a bit less than Incineroar in my opinion.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like Incineroar was probably the more unique moveset wise. I feel like Decidueye and Dark Pit would have had some overlap as both are winged archers with shadowy arrows. We didn’t really have a wrestler yet.
I don’t think that’s all that true. Decidueye is fairly different from pitto and even then he doesn’t use his wings or anything that shadowy in his attacks

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t think that’s all that true. Decidueye is fairly different from pitto and even then he doesn’t use his wings or anything that shadowy in his attacks
It’s mostly just the flight and the shadow arrows. Like I said, it can easily stand out but I think the general concept of a dark winged archer has been done while a wrestler hadn’t yet.

This is obviously just a mod but I think it shows that Pittoo’s moveset actually works surprisingly well for Decidueye:

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It’s mostly just the flight and the shadow arrows. Like I said, it can easily stand out but I think the general concept of a dark winged archer has been done while a wrestler hadn’t yet.

This is obviously just a mod but I think it shows that Pittoo’s moveset actually works surprisingly well for Decidueye:

But that’s like one move and multiple jumps which multiple characters have. Like how incineroar had yet another counter attack

Gengar84

Smash Hero
But that’s like one move and multiple jumps which multiple characters have. Like how incineroar had yet another counter attack
True. I wasn’t trying to say that Decidueye wouldn’t work, just that I think there was more potential in Incineroar as it was an entirely new concept for a Smash character. I’m sure they could have also made a really unique moveset for Decidueye as well if they wanted to.

Noipoi

Howdy!
It’s funny because, unless the next Smash comes out next year or something, we’re most likely getting a Pokemon from Gen 10. And all this whining over Meowscarada won’t mean anything.

I think it’d be cool to have more animalistic Pokemon in Smash! But I also don’t mind the humanoid ones as long as they’re fun to play and have strong personalities.

I just like Pokemon :drshrug:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
And we're right back to Pokemon again. lol

It's just too bad it's a series I just could not get into. The best I could do was watch the earlier anime series.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It’s funny because, unless the next Smash comes out next year or something, we’re most likely getting a Pokemon from Gen 10. And all this whining over Meowscarada won’t mean anything.

I think it’d be cool to have more animalistic Pokemon in Smash! But I also don’t mind the humanoid ones as long as they’re fun to play and have strong personalities.

I just like Pokemon :drshrug:
If a Gen 10 Pokémon gets in it will probably be DLC rather than base game due to timing issues, as the next Smash game might come out before Gen 10 does, and I don't know if they would want another Roy situation.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If a Gen 10 Pokémon gets in it will probably be DLC rather than base game due to timing issues, as the next Smash game might come out before Gen 10 does, and I don't know if they would want another Roy situation.
The way I sees it, Gen 10 releases in 2026 i. the usual November slot while the next Smash could be another December release. Or maybe even a 2027 release.

So it’d be tight, but Kangarang (Gen 10 grass starter) would still manage to debut in an actual Pokemon game before its Smash inclusion :nifty:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
In a slightly different timeline, Psyduck wasn't yellow.

What does this matter?
Well, Psyduck would have had the Let's Go game instead of Eevee since Psyduck was the first choice and was denied because Psyduck was yellow like Pikachu.

This in turn would have resulted in Psyduck getting a Gigantamax instead of Eevee in Sword and Shield since it would have been from a gift Psyduck for having data on Let's Go! Psyduck.

And we'd deadass be debating about the idea of Psyduck being in Smash now.

The moral of the story? Sometimes it ain't mellow being yellow, fellow. :054:

Noipoi

Howdy!

What does this matter?
Well, Psyduck would have had the Let's Go game instead of Eevee since Psyduck was the first choice and was denied because Psyduck was yellow like Pikachu.

This in turn would have resulted in Psyduck getting a Gigantamax instead of Eevee in Sword and Shield since it would have been from a gift Psyduck for having data on Let's Go! Psyduck.

And in this alternate timeline Psyduck’s alpha male energy would be so potent Sakurai couldn’t resist.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

What does this matter?

I would unironically be super down for Psyduck as a fighter.

osby

Smash Obsessed

What does this matter?

I hate this, I want out of this timeline

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What does this matter?

I’ve got a blue psyduck

Top Bottom