• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You should have Bob, though, as a Bub echo. :p
Bob is 100% there, as half of Bub's alts. Just like Lance Bean, Riki and Toadette are all there. It's just not part of the image format to show them.

Also, why on earth would they separate Pokémon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra? That defeats the entire point of those characters.
Cause transformation characters suck and it's my wishlist.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, why on earth would they separate Pokémon Trainer and Pyra/Mythra? That defeats the entire point of those characters.
He doesn't like transformations.

Little does he know getting rid of the ability to switch to Pyra is a massive nerf to Mythra. It's not like Sheik where the situations where you absolutely gotta switch to Zelda are super niche, she absolutely needs Pyra's kill power. Trust me, I would know.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Cause transformation characters suck and it's my wishlist.
Okay... it's still weird as **** considering Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard were explicitly chosen to represent the evolution stages (Blastoise would've absolutely taken precedent over Squirtle if the character wasn't a package deal).
Pyra/Mythra were also explained to have been chosen due to the switching ability. Rex couldn't make it, so the two Blades were added as one character "in his place". Splitting them would just be backwards lol.
But you do you. It's not like this has any chance of happening, but still.
He doesn't like transformations.

Little does he know getting rid of the ability to switch to Pyra is a massive nerf to Mythra. It's not like Sheik where the situations where you absolutely gotta switch to Zelda are super niche, she absolutely needs Pyra's kill power. Trust me, I would know.
I'd argue splitting the two would be a bigger nerf to Pyra if anything. Slow characters kinda suck across the board.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd argue splitting the two would be a bigger nerf to Pyra if anything. Slow characters kinda suck across the board.
You'd think, but from what PMEX Remix has shown me, it's Mythra who gets nerfed harder by the split. And that's a mod that's meant to be Melee-esque, and thus fast paced.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Little does he know getting rid of the ability to switch to Pyra is a massive nerf to Mythra.
Obviously they wouldn't just separate them and leave them otherwise unchanged. They'd rebalance them.

Okay... it's still weird as **** considering Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard were explicitly chosen to represent the evolution stages (Blastoise would've absolutely taken precedent over Squirtle if the character wasn't a package deal).
Actually...that is a completely valid point. If I was going to the trouble of separating them, I'd also replace them with Blastoise and Venusaur.

Edited the image.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally love transformation characters. I don’t think we should overload the roster with them or anything but I think they’re great in situations where the gimmick makes sense. I really like the idea of two different movesets that can synergize with each other and play off each other’s strengths and weaknesses in interesting ways. I feel there is unexplored potential for some team attacks with transformation characters too. Something like Dixie/Kiddy being able to pick up and throw the inactive Kong or “tag in” attacks like in Marvel vs Capcom could be a lot of fun.

Obviously they wouldn't just separate them and leave them otherwise unchanged. They'd rebalance them.

Actually...that is a completely valid point. If I was going to the trouble of separating them, I'd also replace them with Blastoise and Venusaur.

Maybe I'll edit the image later...
I suppose I’d sacrifice the transformation gimmick of Pokemon Trainer if it meant getting Blastoise. That’s one of my brother’s top two most wanted along with the Battletoads. It would kind of kill the whole “Everyone is Here” thing though since Squirtle and Blastoise aren’t the same character and would play differently.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It would kind of kill the whole “Everyone is Here” thing though since Squirtle and Blastoise aren’t the same character and would play differently.
Nah nah, see, you just say it's the SAME Squirtle and Ivysaur that was in previous games. They just finally evolved.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So many of these complaints or the reasoning behind them are self-contradictory.

Lucario and Greninja shouldn't be cut because they're popular, but Meowscarda is being focused on as a Gen 9 rep too much despite its popularity. Somehow, 50% of Pokemon rosters are 90% Gen 1, but all rosters are also somehow adding Meoscarda and a lot of rosters somehow also keep one of Lucario and Greninja.

People need to stop culling Fire Emblem back to Marth and one other character, but somehow Roy is also being added often enough to be singled out as a character that should be cut due to irrelevance. This person also thinks there's a general issue with people adding characters that are irrelevant and important, but no one is giving poor Corrin a chance (also, most people aren't cutting him out of any spite).

People aren't willing to cut enough third parties, but Steve is constantly being cut even though he's the face of the best-selling video game of all time. It's also silly to have this theme of adding relevant and iconic characters while simultaneously advocating to cut most of the third parties.
Steve sucks in spite of minecraft thats why. He's not popular, Minecraft is.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Nah nah, see, you just say it's the SAME Squirtle and Ivysaur that was in previous games. They just finally evolved.
I think Blastoise and Venusaur would be different stats and properties wise. They would be heavier than Squirtle and Ivysaur respectively, and they'd definitely would be slower, if more powerful. So even if they were Squirtle and Ivysaur evolved, they would just...not be the same characters, and they would be characters Sakurai has to make as separate from their less evolved forms.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Steve sucks in spite of minecraft thats why. He's not popular, Minecraft is.
Not only is this blatantly wrong...

But like who cares? Even if it was true, does that really matter? A game being popular enough to lead to a character choice happens all the time. You have people like Villager and Hero.

As for whether Steve himself is popular, have you talked with a kid lately? He's one of the first things they talk about. The big kid video game franchises right now are Pokemon, Minecraft and Fortnite.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think Blastoise and Venusaur would be different stats and properties wise. They would be heavier than Squirtle and Ivysaur respectively, and they'd definitely would be slower, if more powerful. So even if they were Squirtle and Ivysaur evolved, they would just...not be the same characters, and they would be characters Sakurai has to make as separate from their less evolved forms.
The funny thing is, only Bulbasaur and Wartortle is actually similar to Ivysaur and Squirtle in bodyshape(as are Charmander and Charmeleon). Or enough that the difference is minor. Like, you could make an easy Echo using those, but you don't have an easy option for Charizard. I mean, Mega Charizard Y is pretty close... which is more or less the same style as Charmeleon is to Charmander, really.

Anyway, yeah. Those are cool concepts, but they would be hard different and even if it was some kind of different Trainer, they wouldn't be able to play remotely alike.

Also, Steve is pretty damn popular, yep. Now, I would say Minecraft as a game is more popular than him. But the difference is seriously not that far off. But agreed on who really cares. He's the face(along with Alex). That's good enough.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I dislike grandfathering in principle, as I think every character needs to stand up against whatever else could be worked on in their stead, whether that be newcomers, other veterans, or whatever else. But I would never boil it down to something as simple as "irrelevant, therefore cut." Especially when it comes to cutting entire series.

One of the big issues with "Smash legacy" is that, most of the time, it's just a blanket argument against cuts broadly. It's little more than a general expression of the desire to maintain the iterative nature of Smash sequels as strongly as possible.
In any case, at its worst, I think it (1) closes minds to alternative options for the roster (which may have been overlooked, ill-timed, or simply not possible in the past); and (2) leads people to put too much or too little weight into certain characters' merits, whether that's creating a double-standard where characters not in Smash are treated like nobodies, or underestimating the importance of more recent additions because they haven't gained the arbitrary "Smash staple" status.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Tonight is hopefully is the announcement of the final spirit event. What's going to be?
Pictures of Sakurai's cat and the man himself hitting another Jojo pose.

When you get all the new spirits your collection will not be marked as complete but as "To be continued..."

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Wrt Pokemon, it's pretty difficult to make a roster without at least some skew towards gen 1. I mean, Pikachu and Zard at least are must-haves, and most people you meet on the street are heavily in favor of keeping at least someone besides that, whether that be Mewtwo, the rest of Trainer, or the puff. Like, almost every 50+ roster has at least 3 Kanto mons. And I basically never see a roster that gives any other gen more than 2, with most gens usually getting 0-1 reps.

Tbh I don't have a problem with some gen 1 skew, as long as we hit enough of the highlights from the other gens. There are gen 1 mons I would still support as newcomers.

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be Honest, I'd Rather just have it so Characters have 8 Special Moves instead of
Alright. I finally buckled down and made an image for my Smash 6 roster wishlist.

Obviously, it's EiH again. A bunch of new Echoes as well as some old ones shifted around. And a total of 100 unique Fighters.

Did you make this in Roster Maker, Photoshop, Gimp, etc?

Also by the way, Apparently Nintendo is Currently going after Smash Mod Videos. I heard that alot of Nairo's Smash videos were taken down, and he said it was because of the Mods

While this is just a Nintendo thing to do due to their stance on Modding, I do wonder if the timing is correlating with some News about the Smash Franchise that will be coming soon?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
To be Honest, I'd Rather just have it so Characters have 8 Special Moves instead of

Did you make this in Roster Maker, Photoshop, Gimp, etc?

Also by the way, Apparently Nintendo is Currently going after Smash Mod Videos. I heard that alot of Nairo's Smash videos were taken down, and he said it was because of the Mods

While this is just a Nintendo thing to do due to their stance on Modding, I do wonder if the timing is correlating with some News about the Smash Franchise that will be coming soon?
Is it the final spirit event?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Alright. I finally buckled down and made an image for my Smash 6 roster wishlist.

Obviously, it's EiH again. A bunch of new Echoes as well as some old ones shifted around. And a total of 100 unique Fighters.

I am a simple man: I see any sort of Toad on a Smash Bros roster, I like.

And I gotta give props for using Ganondorf's HW design

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
And here it is, everyone!

Looks like a bit of Super Mario Bros. Wonder and Princess Peach Showtime!

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
It's Peach Showtime and Wonder

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Oh okay now it all makes sense. Plus Mario ownder had to be apart of this.

Noipoi

Howdy!
You can rest now

Top Bottom