• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I always wondered what would have happened with Pokemon Trainer in Smash 4 if it wasn't for the 3DS version axing transformations. Would they have tried to keep him in his entirety or scrap Ivysaur and Squirtle because of time anyways?

PT was on Brawl's boxart, which does make it seem like Sakurai views him as an important character and only had to cut him because of necessity due to technical limitations because muh 3DS, similar to the Ice Climbers.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I think that it was only because of Everyone is Here that Pokémon Trainer even came back to begin with, and if they weren't gonna do that then we would once again have Charizard on his own.
I’m pretty sure Pokémon Trainer was scrapped because the 3DS version was having problems handling him, not because he was especially terribly horribly difficult. The next game, like Ultimate, won’t be on a portable console. So it shouldn’t be as much of a hassle.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Not a huge of Company vs Company concept personally. Limits the scope on characters can get involved to just 2 companies only with the roster will dominated by just the big hitters and main faces of said companies
I'm just talking about within Smash, though. Not a specific Vs game. And it doesn't have to be just two companies. I'm talking any companies involved in Smash.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
I always wondered what would have happened with Pokemon Trainer in Smash 4 if it wasn't for the 3DS version axing transformations. Would they have tried to keep him in his entirety or scrap Ivysaur and Squirtle because of time anyways?

PT was on Brawl's boxart, which does make it seem like Sakurai views him as an important character and only had to cut him because of necessity due to technical limitations because muh 3DS, similar to the Ice Climbers.

If it weren't for hardware limitations, Pokémon Trainer absolutely would have come back with his full squad.

We may or may not have lost Bowser Jr. (and Jigglypuff) in the process, but Squirtle and Ivysaur absolutely would have been there.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that it was only because of Everyone is Here that Pokémon Trainer even came back to begin with, and if they weren't gonna do that then we would once again have Charizard on his own.
I think the only reason we got solo Charizard is due to the technical limitations of the 3DS. Notice that we also lost the Ice Climbers at the same time and that’s when Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS were separated as well? I know a lot of people are happy with those changes so I don’t see them going back but I don’t think they ever would have been split at all without the 3DS version. I suspect that had something to do with the removal of the gliding mechanic from Brawl as well.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Imagine if Incineroar gets cut but then comes back as dlc

People would be pissed
I think it depends on where Incineroar ends up in the DLC order. People get endeared to cut vets, no matter how contentious their initial inclusion may have been. People were royally upset when Roy and Wolf were leaked, but they quickly became a lot more popular once they were no longer there to the point where they were two of the most popular Smash for DLC candidates generally.

If Incineroar is one of more, if not the most, popular vets not in the next Smash by the time it theoretically gets a DLC pack, folks will be happy. If Incineroar gets a DLC pack before someone like Palutena or Meta Knight, that'll go over as well as a Big Mac at a veganism convention.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
There’s no way Pokémon Trainer isn’t coming back. They were only cut for hardware limitations.

Personally, I call it top-tier privilege. :iwatadirect:

People were royally upset when Roy and Wolf were leaked
Mandela effect, or are you from a parallel universe?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nah, pretty sure that was part of a massive Meta Knight nerf.
And if Meta Knight can't glide, no one can. :V
That’s possible too. At least I think that’s why the mechanic didn’t come back in Ultimate. Its a shame though because gliding was a ton of fun in a casual setting and it really made the winged characters feel special.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
That’s possible too. At least I think that’s why the mechanic didn’t come back in Ultimate. Its a shame though because gliding was a ton of fun in a casual setting and it really made the winged characters feel special.
Would've probably helped Ridley out admittedly.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Mandela effect, or are you from a parallel universe?
I'm talking about their addition as newcomers in Melee and Brawl respectively, rather than their returns in Smash for and Ultimate.

I wasn't there for either game's roster leaking, but every second-hand account I've heard recounts their reception as basically being "Why is this character I've never heard of/a second Fox clone in when [insert popular fan request here] isn't!?!?".

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

"Stop! posting! about cuts!! I'm tired of seeing them!!"

"My friends on Discord talk about cuts, on Smashboards it's flippin' cuts..."

"I was in a thread, right? and ALLL of the discussion was about cutting characters!"
I’d love to talk about tons of characters I think would be fun in Smash. The only problem is that I seem to have very different tastes in characters than most of the Smash fanbase so there is very rarely any interest in discussing them when I bring any of them up. That’s perfectly fine because everyone has their own opinion but it does get a bit discouraging at times. I don’t think there’s much more I can add to the cuts discussion. I’d love to see as few cuts as possible but I can accept that they will be inevitable at some point because the roster can’t keep growing forever. I just prefer not to focus on the negatives.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm just gonna post the new trailer for PPST. i'll spoil it in case you don't want to know they knew outfits

mighty peach should be a new FS

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm just gonna post the new trailer for PPST. i'll spoil it in case you don't want to know they knew outfits

The font on “Princess Peach” makes it look like a Fire Emblem title

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think the only reason we got solo Charizard is due to the technical limitations of the 3DS. Notice that we also lost the Ice Climbers at the same time and that’s when Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS were separated as well? I know a lot of people are happy with those changes so I don’t see them going back but I don’t think they ever would have been split at all without the 3DS version. I suspect that had something to do with the removal of the gliding mechanic from Brawl as well.
Although Ultimate kept Sheik and ZSS separate and didn't combine them back together with Zelda and Samus respectively. I just think that they're a low priority due to them being among the most complicated fighters to develop, with three times the work of a standard fighter.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Although Ultimate kept Sheik and ZSS separate and didn't combine them back together with Zelda and Samus respectively. I just think that they're a low priority due to them being among the most complicated fighters to develop, with three times the work of a standard fighter.
I think what happened with Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS is that the split was received very positively by the fanbase so there was no reason to put them back together in Ultimate. I don’t buy Sakurai’s original excuse for splitting them during Smash 4 preview season but it worked out for them in the end. I think I’m one of the few people left that still misses Zelda/Sheik but I understand why others are happy they split off. Samus/ZSS was always handled a little strangely so I’m more fun with them being separate. Samus started off as a solo character anyways so that helps too

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT: MIGHTY PEACH

This does make me think that we're not getting a February Nintendo Direct this year. No reason to shadowdrop this when a Direct would be around the corner. My guess is we'll instead get an in-depth Switch Successor presentation in the early to mid-spring, followed by a release about six months later. Maybe Nintendo would want a November release to coincide with when new tech usually drops, but they're generally happy doing their own thing to avoid competition without firms, so I kind of doubt that.

Dinoman96

Smash Master

This does make me think that we're not getting a February Nintendo Direct this year. No reason to shadowdrop this when a Direct would be around the corner. My guess is we'll instead get an in-depth Switch Successor presentation in the early to mid-spring, followed by a release about six months later. Maybe Nintendo would want a November release to coincide with when new tech usually drops, but they're generally happy doing their own thing to avoid competition without firms, so I kind of doubt that.
Like I said, all the rumors/insiders were saying it was likely gonna be a Partner Direct this month.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Barely linking to the Zelda/Sheik debate and otherwise totally unconnected from the current discussion, I had this idea I had for Zelda’s moveset where the Golden Goddess powers could be her Smash attacks so that she can get totally new specials such as her Bow of Light or even some of the Sage’s Powers from Tears of the Kingdom.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Barely linking to the Zelda/Sheik debate and otherwise totally unconnected from the current discussion, I had this idea I had for Zelda’s moveset where the Golden Goddess powers could be her Smash attacks so that she can get totally new specials such as her Bow of Light or even some of the Sage’s Powers from Tears of the Kingdom.
I’m happy with Zelda’s current moveset but if they wanted to try something new, I like the idea of summoning champions for her specials and using their powers. Whether that’s the physical champions themselves or spectral versions of them like in TotK, that would be cool. Rauru could also work for a moveset like this if they wanted to leave Zelda as is.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

We're also likely getting a Pokémon Direct this month as well, because of Pokémon Day being on the 27th. They could possibly tease a game for the new system (possibly even Gen 10 itself), but not reveal what system it will be for, simply stating it's for "unannounced hardware" as a teaser for the new console to come.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don’t buy Sakurai’s original excuse
I initially didn't, considering transformation FS's were still there and we got Mega Lucario and Giga Mac, but then it hit me: Transformation FS's don't have to load as many assets as changing between Zelda and Sheik would.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
We're also likely getting a Pokémon Direct this month as well, because of Pokémon Day being on the 27th. They could possibly tease a game for the new system (possibly even Gen 10 itself), but not reveal what system it will be for, simply stating it's for "unannounced hardware" as a teaser for the new console to come.
TPC likes to keep their hands close to their chest, so I'm guessing we'll get nothing about Gen 10 and we're getting some type of Gen 2 remake this year, instead. LGPE shows that TPC doesn't mind double-dipping on remaking a gen if it's been long enough since the previous remakes and this year will mark the 15th anniversary of HGSS.

It feels so weird to be talking about Gen 10. I still feel like we're in Gen 7, but Sun and Moon released 6 years ago. Time really does fly.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Peach Showtime still looks really unfocused to me, but I do like the idea of her becoming Nintendo's Barbie in terms of a "be anything" icon for the younger female audience.

Anyway, I still advocate for full "alternate movesets" for existing characters so that certain characters with that amount of source material can get new stuff to play with in addition to what they already have.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I’m happy with Zelda’s current moveset but if they wanted to try something new, I like the idea of summoning champions for her specials and using their powers. Whether that’s the physical champions themselves or spectral versions of them like in TotK, that would be cool. Rauru could also work for a moveset like this if they wanted to leave Zelda as is.
Oh yeah you can even map them to her current specials so that Sidon’s shield acts as Nayru’s Love, Tulin’s wind-based powers work as a non-invincible Farore’s Wind and Yunobo’s is a big sent-out projectile that attacks soooorta like a Phantom. Reworking Riju’s power to work like Din’s Fire isn’t too much of a hassle either as it can be either an electrical spark from the start or Riju augments a regular small magical sparkle with an electric explosion when the button is released.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

There's so many movesets to use in Showtime I'm wondering if they'll even try to reference it in the next smash in her moveset?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

There's so many movesets to use in Showtime I'm wondering if they'll even try to reference it in the next smash in her moveset?
Of course not.

That’s why Anime Swordfighter Peach will become her own fighter. :troll:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

why do I even bother spoilering vids

Ivander

Smash Legend

They probably won't change her moveset, but once again, I wish costumes/alternate outfits were more prevalent.

Top Bottom