• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Nice. The only Zelda merch I have beyond the games are amiibos. My brother has a couple Zelda shirts. I personally have a bunch of figures (Mostly TMNT but I have others like Alien, Predator, Spawn, Marvel, and others). We have quite a few Pokémon plus he’s though. I’m pretty much out of space to display anything but I keep buying them. I’ll have to figure something out there lol.

Oh, I didn’t realize they changed her voice actress. Did they change the actors/actresses for everyone? I really liked a lot of the voices in the previous SF games.
Yeah tell me about space i wish i had links Pockets!
I do have to get a zelda shirt i will probably get a Links Awekning Shirt (yeah i know predictable)
I do have a bunch of Spidey figures (lego and some weirder Action figures) I Delibaratly limited myself to spidey otherwise it might be too much!
And i dont know what to do with my lego?!
I also Have like my Toon link action Figure Thrice in case a figure breaks!
Same Reason why i have MY BOY Twice!
The Reason why i have so many link amiibos is obviously cause of the amiibo stuff! (i thought smash young link gave you fierce deity thats why i bought him)

Geno Boost

Smash Master
tbh i would rather see a Darkstalkers rep before we get another street fighter character they do more than just kick and fist ya know i think Ryu and Ken are good enough street fighter representation for now

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
On the topic on Smash 6, if the next game is a reboot and roster is reduced, how many characters to expect be for the game before or after DLC?

For example, if Smash 6 is a soft reboot and EiH is guttered then i would expect at Brawl to S4-size roster at launch with mix of veterans and newcomers. If we miraculously get to Base Ult size with DLC, i would be over the moon.

Note: This isn't about individual roster cuts or who want to get cut, let's not repeat the same topics to death.

tbh i would rather see a Darkstalkers rep before we get another street fighter character they do more than just kick and fist ya know i think Ryu and Ken are good enough street fighter representation for now
Felicia anyone?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
On the topic on Smash 6, if the next game is a reboot and roster is reduced, how many characters to expect be for the game before or after DLC?

For example, if Smash 6 is a soft reboot and EiH is guttered then i would expect at Brawl to S4-size roster at launch with mix of veterans and newcomers. If we miraculously get to Base Ult size with DLC, i would be over the moon.

Note: This isn't about individual roster cuts or who want to get cut, let's not repeat the same topics to death.

I think it probably depends on how ambitious the game modes are or if they want to make big changes to many veteran’s movesets. If we don’t get something on the level of Subspace Emissary and the veterans only get minor changes, I don’t see much a reason to cut many characters beyond potential licensing difficulties. They need some kind of hook to keep people interested if they plan to scale back the roster too much. A lot of the fun of Smash is seeing so many cool characters all come together in one game.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
If the appeal of Smash is seeing cool characters all come together in one place of the game then the place should most important along with the characters. Yeah I agree this sentiment.

Smash 6 will need a hook unlike never before to stand out from the rest of the series to do outside the roster with cuts in place which is probably why most are more excited for a Smash 6 than Ult Deluxe.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If the appeal of Smash is seeing cool characters all come together in one place of the game then the place should most important along with the characters. Yeah I agree this sentiment.

Smash 6 will need a hook unlike never before to stand out from the rest of the series to do outside the roster with cuts in place which is probably why most are more excited for a Smash 6 than Ult Deluxe.
If we do get a big reboot with a Brawl or Smash 4 sized roster, I’ll likely buy it and play the new modes for a while but would probably go back to playing Ultimate afterwards. With mods, I have over 1,000 characters (mostly just model swaps) and I added around 3,000 songs I looped myself. The game takes like half an hour to launch now but runs pretty well once it finally boots up. Even a deluxe would be a hard sell unless the mods happened to work for both. I’m probably in the very small minority on that one. I just love how with mods, there’s something to look forward to every week as long as the community stays active.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Some of them stuck around (Ryu is still Kyle Hebert, for example) but yeah quite a few of them did get changed (most notably Ken).
Oh Reuben Langdon isn't voicing Ken anymore? That's kinda surprising when they got him back for Dante for DMC5 and IIRC the Shin Megami 3 Nocturne HD release.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I guess it should be said again that they're not gonna try to sell us anything smaller than Smash 4 unless there is a massive shakeup in gameplay far beyond what basically anyone is anticipating.

Also they've been very careful both pre- and post-Ult in terms of quelling people's expectations for an EiH re-up. I don't think cuts are realistically going to negatively impact the sales of the game.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
What's this? Another Switch 2 leak? Say it ain't so.

VGC does have reputable sources so if they're saying late 2024 is what Nintendo is targeting for their next console then you should all keep an eye on that. I expect the next Smash to follow within the next two years, so like around 2026 at the absolute latest. Makes you wonder if Sakurai is already working on the game what with his latest video saying he doesn't envision Smash without him at the moment.
I'm kinda surprised to see it being reported for late 2024, my expectation was mid/late 2024 reveal and 2025 launch. However I still do not see a new Smash launching in 2026 unless it's an Ultimate port. I can't fathom Smash Ultimate being followed up by a proper new entry within five years of the DLC Cycle ending. I really hope it's not an Ultimate Port I'll be honest because as time goes on I continue to have more and more issues with Ultimate. The roster is great but everything else is severely lacking. Modes being my primary issue but I also want to see Sakurai refresh the roster and update older characters, maybe do a soft reboot before passing it onto a successor so they won't have to deal with the flack idk

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm kinda surprised to see it being reported for late 2024, my expectation was mid/late 2024 reveal and 2025 launch. However I still do not see a new Smash launching in 2026 unless it's an Ultimate port. I can't fathom Smash Ultimate being followed up by a proper new entry within five years of the DLC Cycle ending. I really hope it's not an Ultimate Port I'll be honest because as time goes on I continue to have more and more issues with Ultimate. The roster is great but everything else is severely lacking. Modes being my primary issue but I also want to see Sakurai refresh the roster and update older characters, maybe do a soft reboot before passing it onto a successor so they won't have to deal with the flack idk
I can see a 2026 release for the next Smash assuming they start working on the game....now lol
Brawl's development started in 2005 and it released in 2008, Smash 4's development started around late 2011/early 2012 and the game released in 2014. Ult's development started immediately after 4 finished in early 2016 and the game released in late 2018. Looking at past development cycles shows the average Smash game takes around three years to develop, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that the next Smash releases in 2026.

On that note, I highly agree that I prefer a new game rather than an Ultimate port, I'd rather not deal with the shoddy online again.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, as far as I recall, Reuben has said some...let's just say, very bigoted things in the 2020's.
Who did they get for Ken this time? I wonder if that’s going to be changed in Smash too if Ken returns. I always thought Robert McCollum would be a great fit for Dante (and possibly Ken). He voiced Masamune Date in the Sengoku Basara anime when Reuben voiced him in the games and I actually preferred McCollum’s performance over Reuben’s.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

VGC does have reputable sources so if they're saying late 2024 is what Nintendo is targeting for their next console then you should all keep an eye on that. I expect the next Smash to follow within the next two years, so like around 2026 at the absolute latest. Makes you wonder if Sakurai is already working on the game what with his latest video saying he doesn't envision Smash without him at the moment.
Honestly lines up with my gut guesses. I had 2024-2025 as when the next Nintendo system would launch. I was also anticipating 2025-2027 for the next Smash Bros, which I feel can hold pretty well.

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
I can see a 2026 release for the next Smash assuming they start working on the game....now lol
Brawl's development started in 2005 and it released in 2008, Smash 4's development started around late 2011/early 2012 and the game released in 2014. Ult's development started immediately after 4 finished in early 2016 and the game released in late 2018. Looking at past development cycles shows the average Smash game takes around three years to develop, so it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that the next Smash releases in 2026.

On that note, I highly agree that I prefer a new game rather than an Ultimate port, I'd rather not deal with the shoddy online again.
perhaps but I think this time is quite different in regards to the future of the series. Every other entry simply relied on building the roster count further and further but from now on that's less reliable and eventually gets into sunk costs so they need to brainstorm some new twist on the series which may take awhile longer. However, I do think Smash should release no more than three years out on the new console so sometime in 2026 or 2027. It needs a nice timeframe where it releases still early-ish so they can make DLC well into it's lifespan.

I do think the gameplay should be shaken up quite a fair deal to stand apart from the prior entries but as far as new hooks and things they could add to make the future stand out I think they should go further into the crossover aspect. Smash as a series has only gone so far as to put characters on the same screen, they should go further and have them actually interact with each other. They don't even have to do a subspace type deal as they could put in pre and post battle quips like in the MvC games. Generally going further with the crossover idea allows them to reasonably have a smaller roster while keeping the appeal

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't think it was that. I'm pretty sure it was other things, like his political views and opinions on COVID. Stuff like that may seem too controversial for Capcom to be associated with.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Nowadays that time of year feels like everyday. It just feels like everybody is always angry, frustrated and/or spiteful. And it still feels like everybody's minds are going downhill after 2020/2021.
To be honest, my mind has been going downhill a bit since the pandemic started. But I also feel like I’ve grown a lot in the last 3+ years.

FazDude

Smash Master
The Reuben stuff is fairly old and spans back a couple of years - I'm not sure if Ken's recasting in SF6 is directly tied to his previous statements since he was working in SF projects and tweeting his stuff at the same time for a while, though.

EDIT: Most of the SF English cast (barring Ryu, Luke, and Juri) got replaced for SF6, so I don't think Reuben being dropped was related to his tweets (which would be red flags regardless, to be fair).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nowadays that time of year feels like everyday. It just feels like everybody is always angry, frustrated and/or spiteful. And it still feels like everybody's minds are going downhill after 2020/2021.
I think a lot of what is getting people upset is how the news is presented. No matter what side you’re on, all we ever seem to hear is bad news and some outlets seem to purposely anger their viewers in order to keep them coming back. I feel like a lot of that is because money and power tends to corrupt people and some people have discovered that being hateful and driving division gets them more attention. I get into lots of arguments with my father over politics because it seems that we each only hear one side of the story. I wish there was a way to verify whether what people in the media are saying is true or not.

Anyway, back to Smash, has anyone seen Delzethin’s video on Zero for Smash? We don’t typically have the same interest in what characters we’re excited for but Zero is definitely up there for me. I feel like he has a pretty solid shot since he’s been both an assist trophy and Mii costume.

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Anyway, back to Smash, has anyone seen Delzethin’s video on Zero for Smash? We don’t typically have the same interest in what characters we’re excited for but Zero is definitely up there for me. I feel like he has a pretty solid shot since he’s been both an assist trophy and Mii costume.
I liked Delz' Zero - He's not a character I'm super hyped for, but I feel he'd be a fun addition and a nice contrast to the more ranged-based Mega Man we currently have, especially with something like Delz' design (which mercifully avoids all the pitfalls that cause me to dislike how Smash's Rock was handled).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I liked Delz' Zero - He's not a character I'm super hyped for, but I feel he'd be a fun addition and a nice contrast to the more ranged-based Mega Man we currently have, especially with something like Delz' design (which mercifully avoids all the pitfalls that cause me to dislike how Smash's Rock was handled).
Yeah, Mega Man feels a bit awkward to play in Smash. It’s a shame because I really like the series. Delzethin and I seemed to have a similar idea for how to use Zero’s blaster. I kind of wish Mega Man had gone with that approach over the Smash attack. I think holding the A button to charge Mega Man’s blaster and tapping it to shoot the pellets would have felt more like playing his games. I was also hoping for a Kirby like ability system would have been a lot of fun but possibly a bit too much work.

FazDude

Smash Master
Yeah, Mega Man feels a bit awkward to play in Smash. It’s a shame because I really like the series. Delzethin and I seemed to have a similar idea for how to use Zero’s blaster. I kind of wish Mega Man had gone with that approach over the Smash attack. I think holding the A button to charge Mega Man’s blaster and tapping it to shoot the pellets would have felt more like playing his games. I was also hoping for a Kirby like ability system would have been a lot of fun but possibly a bit too much work.
My personal idea would be making the Mega Buster a Neutral Special (which would work like Breegull Blaster + charging), moving the Robot Master weapons to a Side B rotation ala Sora's spells. All his current Mega Buster moves (jab, F-Smash, etc.) would be more standardized.

Last edited:

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord

Besides the rest of the series Smash 6 has to face challengers that are becoming better and better.
Keeping the throne of the brawler games is serious business now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My personal idea would be making the Mega Buster a Neutral Special (which would work like Breegull Blaster + charging), moving the Robot Master weapons to a Side B rotation ala Sora's spells. All his current Mega Buster moves (jab, F-Smash, etc.) would be more standardized.
Yeah, I had the same idea for my Magus moveset before they showed off Sora. I put his elemental magic on a rotation like Sora based on his boss fight in Chrono Trigger.

I also had an idea for another gunner in Bill Rizer. The first idea is fun but probably a bit too gimmicky where there are power ups that fly by that only he can interact with that changes his guns so it could be authentic like the games. A simpler idea is to with something closer to Shulk’s Monado arts to change out his gun. Like Mega Man, the gun would be both a neutral and a forward tilt but he’d be able to aim them up and down at 45 degree angles while moving and straight forward while crouching.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In retrospect, I'm somewhat surprised they didn't make his pellets his Neutral B.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
I think holding the A button to charge Mega Man’s blaster and tapping it to shoot the pellets would have felt more like playing his games. I was also hoping for a Kirby like ability system would have been a lot of fun but possibly a bit too much work.
I'm not a fan of either of those ideas tbh. I'm kind of tired of Smash prioritizing source accuracy, over making a well-tuned character who isn't demoralizing to play against. So I'm very glad that Megaman's charge shot doesn't work how it does in his games. And as for the second idea, I just don't see why it's necessary. I like Megaman's smash incarnation, because it perfectly represents that particular aspect of Megaman, him having access to a wide range of abilities, while sticking to the standard Smash moveset template. I also really like all the creative liberties they took with the robot master weapons. They feel like an expansion on Megaman's abilities, while not going to far.
Besides the rest of the series Smash 6 has to face challengers that are becoming better and better.
Keeping the throne of the brawler games is serious business now.
What does any of that mean?

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I'm certain that a lot of people would have no problem moving onto a new Smash with only 80-85% of Ultimate's roster returning at launch (this percentage doesn't have as many significant omissions as one would think), if there are simply more gameplay modes for players to sink their teeth into compared to Ultimate.

FazDude

Smash Master
I'm kind of tired of Smash prioritizing source accuracy, over making a well-tuned character who isn't demoralizing to play against. So I'm very glad that Megaman's charge shot doesn't work how it does in his games. And as for the second idea, I just don't see why it's necessary. I like Megaman's smash incarnation, because it perfectly represents that particular aspect of Megaman
I don't wanna come off as "tsk tsk" or anything, but I feel like my personal issues with Mega Man are because of source accuracy - The Mega Buster being tied to jab/ftilt/fmsash being an example. I feel like a special would be more natural for the Buster.

Totally agree with too much adhesion to source accuracy being an issue across 4/Ult roster, though.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In regards to Delzethin's Zero video, I like it. He also mentioned how he has competition from other Capcom characters and it got me thinking how Zero often ends up (with the exception of Sonic characters) being the highest scoring character from an third-party franchise that already has playable representation in various fan polls, beating Chun Li. Not that fan polls themselves mean that much in the grand scale of things, but it is interesting.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think people are really sleeping on the idea of additional reps for third-party series that already in Smash, especially now that Sephiroth is a thing. Really, only Sonic's supporting cast and Chun-Li get a lot of consideration. Mega Man and Castlevania in particular are full of good choices. Persona, Metal Gear, Tekken, and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters also have a lot to potentially work with. There are a lot of strong candidates that may not break the bank in the same way that getting fully new franchises into Smash would.

I would personally lose my **** in the best way possible if X and Zero somehow both made it into the next Smash game.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

This completely lines up with my own suspicions for the last year and a half. Nintendo gets one more big holiday season this year with the OG Switch, possibly the likes of Prime 4 and a few ports as the systems last hurrah in early summer, before the big build to the Switch 2 kicks off in late summer and fall. The big question will be what the launch titles lineup might entail, especially given that Smash and another 3D Zelda are both some ways off.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm not a fan of either of those ideas tbh. I'm kind of tired of Smash prioritizing source accuracy, over making a well-tuned character who isn't demoralizing to play against. So I'm very glad that Megaman's charge shot doesn't work how it does in his games. And as for the second idea, I just don't see why it's necessary. I like Megaman's smash incarnation, because it perfectly represents that particular aspect of Megaman, him having access to a wide range of abilities, while sticking to the standard Smash moveset template. I also really like all the creative liberties they took with the robot master weapons. They feel like an expansion on Megaman's abilities, while not going to far.

What does any of that mean?
That’s fine. We all like Smash for different reasons and I don’t claim that mine are any better than anyone else’s. I love characters that feel like they came straight out of their source games. To me, it makes me feel a lot more like I’m playing that character. Pulling mechanics from other games also helps each character feel special and stand out. I can totally understand others that would rather prioritize a clean moveset that doesn’t get too hung up on being source accurate. I agree it can be fun to see what new moves and abilities Sakurai comes up with for any character.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
I think people are really sleeping on the idea of additional reps for third-party series that already in Smash, especially now that Sephiroth is a thing. Really, only Sonic's supporting cast and Chun-Li get a lot of consideration. Mega Man and Castlevania in particular are full of good choices. Persona, Metal Gear, Tekken, and Fatal Fury/King of Fighters also have a lot to potentially work with. There are a lot of strong candidates that may not break the bank in the same way that getting fully new franchises into Smash would.

I would personally lose my **** in the best way possible if X and Zero somehow both made it into the next Smash game.
Zero and a Sonic semiclone/echo (if base game) or Dr. Eggman (if DLC) are the ones I feel are likely. Raiden to represent MGR and Rock Howard as a Terry semiclone/echo would be cool but I'm not fully expecting them.
Personally I'd rather focus on adding more third party series though. While there are a few that I want and somewhat expect to get more content next time, it's always more exciting when a completely new "world" joins the fighter lineup.

Soy_Man

Smash Apprentice
I don't wanna come off as "tsk tsk" or anything, but I feel like my personal issues with Mega Man are because of source accuracy - The Mega Buster being tied to jab/ftilt/fmsash being an example. I feel like a special would be more natural for the Buster.
Megaman's normals being projectiles never really bothered me. I can see why it makes him awkward to play as, and it takes getting used to, but it also sets him apart and it's not overpowered. I don't think there's another character that's plays like Megaman.

Yeah. Imo characters like Chun-Li, Eggman, Alucard, Zero, etc, characters from third party IPs that Smash has already accessed, are worthier additions than the vast majority of other fan poll regulars. As in, in terms of individual legacy and "iconic-ness".

Last edited:
Top Bottom