• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Team Sonic Racing should have a Team Puyo Puyo to compensate the lack of other SEGA properties.
Arle w/Carbuncle, Amitie and [FREE SPACE] (I put this since there are million of Puyo characters to pick one, should Rei Ayanami count as a PP character because of Quest!!?)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, I wanted to do this a day or two ago but didn't have time, but I have a question for you all.

If you could give any series the SNK treatment and give it 50 songs, what series would you pick, and which songs? You don't have to include songs already in smash if you'd prefer something else as well.

I've done Persona, and tried to be objective for the most important / best fitting songs from each game, but literally none of my favourite songs ended up in the list since there are other far more popular songs available. (Also if it was up to me there would be no songs from the PSP port of 1).

I've ended up going with 10 songs from each title (P2 is split into 6 from IS and 4 from EP, although Maya's theme appears in both so who knows).

I'll include the song link in the title, and then if I think it should have a remix I'll include a link to an example in brackets (although most of the links are just to the most likely version now).

(Thanks to Perkilator Perkilator for the vague idea of this)

Normal Battle - Megami Ibunroku Persona (Remix (From Persona 5 Strikers))
Deadline - Megami Ibunroku Persona (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP))
Transitory Butterfly - Megami Ibunroku Persona
Persona + Awakening - Megami Ibunroku Persona (Remix (From Persona 20th Anniversary))
The Snow Queen - Megami Ibunroku Persona (Remix (From Persona 3 FES))
SEBEC - Megami Ibunroku Persona
Kama Palace - Megami Ibunroku Persona
Aria of the Soul - Megami Ibunroku Persona (Remix (From Super Smash Bros. Ultimate))
A Lone Prayer - Persona (PSP)
Bloody Destiny - Persona (PSP)
Opening - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (Remix (From Persona 2 Innocent Sin Mini Soundtrack))
Normal Battle - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (Remix (From Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP))
Boss Battle - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (Remix (From Persona 2 Innocent Sin PSP))
Knights of the Holy Spear - Persona 2 Innocent Sin
Unbreakable Tie - Persona 2 Innocent Sin (PSP)
Opening - Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP))
Normal Battle - Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP))
Boss Battle - Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP))
EX Final Battle - Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment PSP))
Maya's Theme - Persona 2 Innocent Sin & Persona 2 Eternal Punishment (Remix (From Persona 2 Eternal Punishment Special Soundtrack)) (THIS ONE IS REALLY GOOD)
Burn My Dread - Persona 3
Mass Destruction (P3 + P3FES Version) - Persona 3 & Persona 3 FES
Master of Shadow - Persona 3
Master of Tartarus - Persona 3
Battle Hymn of the Soul - Persona 3
Burn My Dread - Last Battle - Persona 3
Heartful Cry - Persona 3 FES
Soul Phrase - Persona 3 Portable
Wiping All Out - Persona 3 Portable
Danger Zone -Persona 3 Portable
Pursuing My True Self - Persona 4
Reach out to the Truth - Persona 4
I'll Face Myself -Battle- -Persona 4
Heaven - Persona 4 (Remix (From Persona Live Band))
A New World Fool - Persona 4
The Almighty - Persona 4
The Fog - Persona 4
Shadow World - Persona 4 Golden
Time to Make History - Persona 4 Golden
Wake Up, Get Up, Get Out There - Persona 5
Last Surprise - Persona 5
Beneath the Mask - Persona 5 (Remix (From Super Smash Bros Ultimate))
Life Will Change - Persona 5
Blooming Villain - Persona 5
Rivers in the Desert - Persona 5
Jaldabaoth - Persona 5
Colors Flying High - Persona 5 Royal
Take Over - Persona 5 Royal
I Believe - Persona 5 Royal
Throw Away Your Mask - Persona 5 Royal

And then for the different victory themes:

Persona 1 - Persona (Persona 3 FES Remix)
Persona 2 Innocent Sin - Battle Results (P2ISPSP)
Persona 2 Eternal Punishment - Battle Results (P2EPPSP)
Persona 3 - After the Battle
Persona 4 - Period
Persona 5 - Triumph
Think I’ll go with Xenoblade on this one. I’m on mobile atm so I may go back and edit accordingly. I’ll keep 10 of the 11 tracks from base Smash Ult (Xenoblade Chronicles Medley needs to go) and all the tracks Pyra/Mythra included so that makes 26 off the bat. Engage the Enemy will also be its full length.
27. Tragic Decision (I believe that’s the song when fighting Yaldabaoth and Bana)
28. You Will Know Our Names (Definitive Edition remix)
29. (You knew this was coming) Black Tar (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
30. Uncontrollable (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
31. Wir fliegen (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
32. ThemeX (Xenoblade Chronicles X; Smash remix)
33. The key we’ve lost (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
34. Minor Boss Battle (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
35. Major Boss Battle (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
36. CRISIS (Postgame Super Tyrants) (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
37. aBOreSSs (Prog Ares) (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
38. Theme of Telethia, The Endbringer (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
39. Sylvalum Night (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
40. Oblivia Day (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
41. Keves Battle Theme (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
42. You Will Know Our Names Finale (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
43. Showdown With Z (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
44. Redeem the Future (Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed)
45. New Battle!!! (Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed)
46. Moebius Battle (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
47. A Formidable Enemy (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
48. Agnus Battle Theme (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
49. Origin Battle (Xenoblade Chronicles 3)
50. In the forest <X→Z ver.> (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
I kinda wanna do this for Splatoon and F-Zero too but idk if the latter will reach 50 tracks
Good thing the site's back up, apparently Direct predictions have already started again and it's not even August yet.
Have we ever had a full not dedicated direct in August or even a mini? I think the fall directs are usually in September around Gamescom/TGS time

if we get something in august it’ll likely be either a mini, Pokemon presents or maybe Splatoon 3 since the next season starts in September which is the game’s 1 year anniversary. Please let there be a new King Salmonid and some Splatfests that aren’t biased in Shiver’s favor

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given how direct 2D Mario titles tend to be, a presentation on it alone may not really be warranted, but given the potential features and its easy marketing for what's going to be a holiday game, its not wholly out of the question. I suppose a possible Mario focused Direct with news on it, features about Mario RPG, Wave 6 of the Booster Course pass, and whatever might get announced at the September showcase with the whole thing running about 20 minutes feels semi-plausible though by no means necessarily likely.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hey I'd just like to report a fun little bit of Nintendo news that's been happening lately.

For those who don't know, this past July 15th marked the 40th anniversary of the Famicom (the Japanese NES). And in the JP version of the last direct, we got news that they were setting up a website to celebrate that milestone. And here it is:
It's been up for the past couple of weeks, and as you can see, there are these big spreads of sprites from all kinds of FC games, there's a video series happening, a bunch of polls about specific types of anecdotes of the era ("what was the first FC game you bought", "what game did you get a high score on", etc), a list of every Nintendo-made game on the system (that they could show at least, so for example the Popeye games aren't there). But what's really been catching my attention is the "History of Family Computer" page, which shows a year-by-year timeline of important games on the system.

The list still isn't done yet, it currently only goes up to 1988 - they're periodically updating it by adding in later years and apparently also retroactively adding in extra games for past years - but it's really cool regardless. You can find the timeline on the home page, it's linked in the "History of Family Computer" image, but as a lot of these were Japan-only or went by different names in different regions, I've decided to transcribe them all here.
asterisk (*) signifies that it's a game they went back and added to that year in a later update

1983:

-Donkey Kong
-Mahjong
-Mario Bros.
-Baseball

1984:

-Tennis
-Pinball*
-Wild Gunman
-Duck Hunt*
-Golf
-Nuts & Milk
-Galaxian
-Pac-Man
-Xevious
-Excitebike

1985:

-Balloon Fight
-Galaga
-Yie-Ar Kung Fu (not to be confused with the next game...)
-Kung Fu*
-The Tower of Druaga
-Super Mario Bros.
-Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
-The Portopia Serial Murder Case
-Spelunker
-Bomberman

1986:

-The Legend of Zelda
-The Mysterious Murasame Castle
-Mighty Bomb Jack
-Gradius
-Dragon Quest
-Star Soldier
-Ghosts 'n Goblins
-Ganbare Goemon: Karakuri Dochu
-Valkyrie no Boken
-Metroid
-Kid Icarus

1987:

-Zelda II
-Dragon Quest II
-Famicom Golf: Japan Course
-The 3-D Battles of World Runner
-Renegade (Nekketsu Koha Kunio-kun)
-Tantei Jinguji Saburo (nowadays known in the West as Jake Hunter)
-Bases Loaded
-Shin Onigashima
-Mega Man
-Final Fantasy

1988:

-Dragon Quest III
-Nobunaga's Ambition
-Famicom Detective Club
-Best Play Pro Baseball
-Super Dodgeball
-Famicom Wars
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Momotaro Dentetsu
-Ninja Gaiden
-Final Fantasy II
This list definitely has holes (Castlevania being probably the one I can think of that'll resonate the most here) and I don't think it means much of anything in relation to Smash, but nonetheless I think it's incredibly interesting to see a document of what Nintendo considers important games on the system, including third-party stuff.

EDIT: forgot Mega Man lol

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's my OST SNK Treatment for Splatoon; everything from Base Ultimate is included (total of 26) but the Now or Never songs (including Ebb and Flow ~Octo~ in this list which serves as a Now or Never replacement) is the full 1 minute and triggers as such
27. Tidal Rush (Splatoon 2)
28. Spicy Calamari Inkantation (Splatoon 2)
29. Octoling Rendezvous (Splatoon 2)
30. Nasty Majesty (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
31. Shark Bytes (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
32. Splattack (Octo) (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
33. Fly Octo Fly (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
34. Ebb & Flow ~Octo~ (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion; acts like a Now or Never song only when Fly Octo Fly is the selected BGM)
35. #5 thirsty (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
36. #13 shade (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
37. #8 regret (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion; Smash remix)
38. #16 salty (Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion)
39. Fins in the Air (Splatoon 3)
40. Till Depth Do Us Part (Splatoon 3)
41. Now or Never (Splatoon 3)
42. Now or Never Splatfest (Splatoon 3)
43. Surprise and Shine (Splatoon 3)
44. Bait & Click (Splatoon 3; Big Run theme)
45. Liquid Sunshine (Splatoon 3)
46. Calamari Inkantation -3MIX- (Splatoon 3)
47. Sea Me Now (Splatoon 3)
48. Clickbait (Splatoon 3)
49. Ska-Blam! (Splatoon 3)
50. Tentacle to the Metal (Splatoon 3)

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Hey I'd just like to report a fun little bit of Nintendo news that's been happening lately.

For those who don't know, this past July 15th marked the 40th anniversary of the Famicom (the Japanese NES). And in the JP version of the last direct, we got news that they were setting up a website to celebrate that milestone. And here it is:
It's been up for the past couple of weeks, and as you can see, there are these big spreads of sprites from all kinds of FC games, there's a video series happening, a bunch of polls about specific types of anecdotes of the era ("what was the first FC game you bought", "what game did you get a high score on", etc), a list of every Nintendo-made game on the system (that they could show at least, so for example the Popeye games aren't there). But what's really been catching my attention is the "History of Family Computer" page, which shows a year-by-year timeline of important games on the system.

The list still isn't done yet, it currently only goes up to 1988 - they're periodically updating it by adding in later years and apparently also retroactively adding in extra games for past years - but it's really cool regardless. You can find the timeline on the home page, it's linked in the "History of Family Computer" image, but as a lot of these were Japan-only or went by different names in different regions, I've decided to transcribe them all here.
asterisk (*) signifies that it's a game they went back and added to that year in a later update

1983:

-Donkey Kong
-Mahjong
-Mario Bros.
-Baseball

1984:

-Tennis
-Pinball*
-Wild Gunman
-Duck Hunt*
-Golf
-Nuts & Milk
-Galaxian
-Pac-Man
-Xevious
-Excitebike

1985:

-Balloon Fight
-Galaga
-Kung Fu*
-The Tower of Druaga
-Super Mario Bros.
-Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
-Spelunker
-Bomberman

1986:

-The Legend of Zelda
-Mighty Bomb Jack
-Gradius
-Dragon Quest
-Star Soldier
-Ghosts 'n Goblins
-Valkyrie no Boken
-Metroid
-Kid Icarus

1987:

-Zelda II
-Dragon Quest II
-Bases Loaded
-Shin Onigashima
-Mega Man
-Final Fantasy

1988:

-Dragon Quest III
-Nobunaga's Ambition
-Famicom Detective Club
-Best Play Pro Baseball
-Super Dodgeball
-Famicom Wars
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Momotaro Dentetsu
-Ninja Gaiden
-Final Fantasy II
This list definitely has holes (Castlevania being probably the one I can think of that'll resonate the most here) and I don't think it means much of anything in relation to Smash, but nonetheless I think it's incredibly interesting to see a document of what Nintendo considers important games on the system, including third-party stuff.

I see Simon on the front the page, so they might add Castlevania later.

But yeah, it's good to see what other games Nintendo consider as part of their history besides their own.

I see so much Mega Man, Ninja Gaiden and River City/Kunio-kun so far, with a little bit of Double Dragon on that site. Really like it!

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
i think its strange commander video hasnt been added as spirit to ultimate he is the first indie content to get in smash
but at least he got some love in fraymaker
Maybe rights issues got in the way? Rayman had three trophies in Smash 4, but only the one Spirit in Ultimate.

sal ig

Smash Apprentice
Random question. Do you guys think Smash 6 is coming this decade?
I wouldn't be surprised honestly bcs the new console is probs gonna come out summer/winter next year or in the next year after that possibly and with a new console released it kind of has to have smash on it since it's such a big and marketable game franchise at this point

A port of ultimate with like 10 newcomers would be easy to make and they have about 7 years to develop a new game (if they start early on the development which I would assume they would since it's a completly new game)

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
I am of the opinion that it depends on the character in a case-by-case basis.

For Sheik and Zelda I'm not a fan because of the difference in overall strength of the characters, the necessity to adhere to Sheik's game-specific lore where smash constantly reinvents which Zelda it's representing, and worst of all how they don't complement each other's weaknesses and strengths. Despite the fact they have polar opposite strengths/weaknesses, they don't help each other with them. It doesn't make sense both mechanically or flavor-wise so I think it was a good idea to split them sooner than later.

For Pokemon Trainer, I am divided. Mechanically speaking, I think they function actually very well with each of all 3 parts of PT being necessary together to perform well patching each other's weaknesses while having a lot of different tools individually.
Flavor wise, it also represents the singles strategy of switching your pokemon to fit the situation. However, (personal bias speaking here), I genuinely don't really care about 2/3s of the parts. Charizard is the star of the show and the others are there to supplement this specific function envisioned for Smash. Without it, the others wouldn't be in smash (as we literally see when smash 4 removed transformations). To have one component be so much more important the other 2 kind of always felt off to me.

Aegis I think is so far the best implementation of the transformation archetype. In gameplay, they complement each other's strengths and weaknesses perfectly and seamlessly swap to capitalize whenever efficient and their movesets are similar enough such that the "gear shift" isn't too drastic like going from charizard to squirtle. With regards to the source material, as the 2 extremely pushed poster girls in a game where you can freely swap between them and where they occupy the same body, it makes sense both in-universe and in marketing that they would fight like this instead of alone individually.

Going forward, I'm not opposed to the concept of a character that transforms into someone else, but I don't think there are many out there that would match the bar I think Aegis sets in terms of just making that much sense. I think we are more likely going to see characters that just change their movesets by themselves by entering a new state or swapping weapons or something.
I think the one of the few characters I could see having a mechanic like this and working is Diddy being turned into a duo fighter with Dixie. Dixie as a character is in this weird area where she absolutely should be in but as a solo inclusion Smash is too large scale where most mainstream folks wouldn't really care. That presents a dilemma which is what to do with the character? Either don't include her at all which would be safe yet alienate some fans or, the only place I could see her working, is to include her with Diddy in a rework or throw in either Kiddy/Cranky to complement her inclusion.

1983:

-Donkey Kong
-Mahjong
-Mario Bros.
-Baseball

1984:

-Tennis
-Pinball*
-Wild Gunman
-Duck Hunt*
-Golf
-Nuts & Milk
-Galaxian
-Pac-Man
-Xevious
-Excitebike

1985:

-Balloon Fight
-Galaga
-Kung Fu*
-The Tower of Druaga
-Super Mario Bros.
-Ninja JaJaMaru-kun
-Spelunker
-Bomberman

1986:

-The Legend of Zelda
-Mighty Bomb Jack
-Gradius
-Dragon Quest
-Star Soldier
-Ghosts 'n Goblins
-Valkyrie no Boken
-Metroid
-Kid Icarus

1987:

-Zelda II
-Dragon Quest II
-Bases Loaded
-Shin Onigashima
-Mega Man
-Final Fantasy

1988:

-Dragon Quest III
-Nobunaga's Ambition
-Famicom Detective Club
-Best Play Pro Baseball
-Super Dodgeball
-Famicom Wars
-Super Mario Bros. 3
-Momotaro Dentetsu
-Ninja Gaiden
-Final Fantasy II

Even if Castlevania never gets added, it seems to be just as synonymous with the PlayStation 1 thanks to Symphony of the Night. That may be a factor in why it's taken so long to add it.

Now let's see how important these entries are.

1983:
-If they were legally allowed to bring up the Popeye games, I'm sure they would have been added instead of Baseball or Mahjong.
-But a more pressing issue arises: Where's Donkey Kong Jr.?

1984:
-In a general gaming perspective, I can understand adding Pac-Man and Excitebike before mentioning Duck Hunt.
-However, I would have added it before bringing up Wild Gunman, Xevious, or Golf. At least they remembered the Laughing Dog existed.

1985:
-We all knew that Super Mario Bros. was going to be added the first day 1985 was brought up on this site. That was never going to change.
-Balloon Fight, Galaga, Bomberman, and The Tower of Druaga are equally notable games from this year.
-Enlighten me, but what makes the second Kung Fu game so important?

1986:
-Zelda, Metroid, and Kid Icarus? Even your grandfather would expect one of those on this list at the start.
-The Mysterious Murasame Castle is something hardcore NES fans would be happy to see here.
-Dragon Quest, Gradius, Ghosts n Goblins, and Ganbare Goemon are perfect third-party entries for this year.

1987:
-Kinda slow year for Nintendo, huh? Only Zelda 2 and Shin Onigashima are notable enough to be brought up here.
-Still, having Mega Man and Final Fantasy added to the list of important franchises does feel very warranted.
-Furthermore, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy really have gone way back together. They're basically the JRPG equivalent of Mario vs. Sonic.

1988:
-Ah, yes. The game that was so hyped that it was percieved a law was enacted preventing weekday launches for RPG titles.
-But seriously, having Famicom Detective Club, Super Mario Bros. 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Famicom Wars so far on this list is pleasant.

From this, we can deduce that Mario, Zelda, and Metroid are here to stay, Mega Man and Pac-Man need to remain in Smash, and we need more Capcom crossover fighting games.

Still, if they're going back and adding games to previous years, maybe these three can be added to the list:

-Donkey Kong Jr.
-Wrecking Crew
-Robot Gyro (Known in the US as Gyromite.)

They may not be the best Famicom games, but they're notable in some ways to Nintendo's past.

I think the one of the few characters I could see having a mechanic like this and working is Diddy being turned into a duo fighter with Dixie. Dixie as a character is in this weird area where she absolutely should be in but as a solo inclusion Smash is too large scale where most mainstream folks wouldn't really care. That presents a dilemma which is what to do with the character? Either don't include her at all which would be safe yet alienate some fans or, the only place I could see her working, is to include her with Diddy in a rework or throw in either Kiddy/Cranky to complement her inclusion.
I might be one of the few people here that would be miffed with a Diddy Kong rework that tags along Dixie for the ride. So, if given the choice, Dixie and Cranky would be a cool duo fighter. Cranky Kong is a powerhouse on the ground, and Dixie Kong has aerial mobility in her favor. The mind games are too tempting to resist.

Their experience from that game was what helped them when they were developing Super Mario Bros. Basically, you can say Super Mario's side-scrolling element came from Kung Fu.
Fair enough.
Solo Dixie or bust
Ideally completely unique, too. She's worth it.

Also, if Smash were "too big" for Dixie, then it'd be too big for like a third of the roster
I'd go for Solo Dixie myself, but if she has to be paired up with someone to function, I'd prefer Cranky over Kiddy for that to happen.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
-If they were legally allowed to bring up the Popeye games, I'm sure they would have been added instead of Baseball or Mahjong.
Er, no. Definitely not. It's important to remember that these sorts of "casual appeal" games, especially Mahjong, were a massively important early factor in selling the Famicom. The kids had stuff like Donkey Kong, of course, but this was a "family computer", and games like Mahjong helped give the Famicom a wider audience and, for the time, were very advanced takes on their respective real-life games. Games like these were incredibly successful, and in the early years of the Famicom, were, more than anything else, pivotal to getting the system on Japanese homes. Compare to Popeye, which was like....a decently popular arcade title, but paled in comparison to something like Donkey Kong, and went on to not be very well-remembered and Nintendo still has done nothing with it. This is like saying a Wii retrospective shouldn't include Wii Sports.
-However, I would have added it before bringing up Wild Gunman, Xevious, or Golf.
Again, I feel you're letting Western bias cloud your judgement. This is very much a Japanese list that intends to catalog which games were notable in Japan. It's important to remember that Duck Hunt, and by extension the Light Gun/Zapper, weren't nearly as popular over there, and usually the one title that gets brought up in JP retrospectives is Wild Gunman instead. It's not so unpopular that it doesn't still get nods in an "oh yeah this was big over there" fashion (see its appearances in Smash for example), but it's not the totemic icon of the system that it is over here. So yeah, Duck Hunt not showing up intitially tracks to me. As for Golf, see my above argument with the addition of its notoriety as an example of HAL Labs and Satoru Iwata's prowess with the Famicom. Xevious is another one I will very much defend - that game is INSANELY popular and influential in Japan. It pretty much changed the course of arcade gaming, and every shoot-em-up to have things like scrolling enviroments owes its debt to it. The Famicom port was also one of the most popular games in the system's early days, basically being its must-have "killer app" of late 1984, and is an example of how important Namco were in building the FC's success. No retrospective on the system's history, hell, on Japanese gaming history as a whole, is complete without Xevious. It's that important.
-Enlighten me, but what makes the second Kung Fu game so important?
Do you mean, like, "regular" Kung Fu? As opposed to Yie-Ar? It was a Nintendo-made conversion of an Irem arcade game originally named Spartan X (after a Jackie Chan movie), and its main notoriety is that the original arcade game is considered a major pioneer of the beat-em-up genre, and the FC port was just generally really popular and successful.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to echo the comments about Xevious; the Japanese audience adored that game and its almost as much as classic to them now as the original SMB is. Heck, as Hideo Kojima himself put it:

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A port of ultimate with like 10 newcomers would be easy to make and they have about 7 years to develop a new game (if they start early on the development which I would assume they would since it's a completly new game)
Unless we're talking Echoes, not really. A port is not a simple copy-paste job, they have to take everything and update it to the new system and that will still take work to get all of the characters back via negotiations, updates, balancing between each other and the like on top of also having to work on all of the stages and modes and so on they interact with and make sure all of those moving parts don't break the game in some way. Then they have to add the newcomers which would have to be balanced against all of that pre-existing content, which exponentially would get more demanding of the development team both from a time and resource standpoint. Getting even 10 newcomers that are not Echoes would not be an easy task by any means, it's something that would still be very taxing, and I wouldn't expect too high a number of potential newcomers in the base if the port happens.

I think the moment has passed for a Diddy/Dixie duo. Now that Diddy has been his own character for so long I don't think majorly adjusting him in that way would go over well both from the fans of the current character and the complexity that would come with updating the character like that. Plus, I think you're underselling Dixie as she is still familiar to players both old and new from the older DKC series, the Tropical Freeze port, and her recent inclusion in Mario Kart Tour. She's not so small time that many would go 'who's this?' to her, and many would probably be happier with her as her own character then stapled onto Diddy at this point.

Last edited:
Er, no. Definitely not. It's important to remember that these sorts of "casual appeal" games, especially Mahjong, were a massively important early factor in selling the Famicom. The kids had stuff like Donkey Kong, of course, but this was a "family computer", and games like Mahjong helped give the Famicom a wider audience and, for the time, were very advanced takes on their respective real-life games. Games like these were incredibly successful, and in the early years of the Famicom, were, more than anything else, pivotal to getting the system on Japanese homes. Compare to Popeye, which was like....a decently popular arcade title, but paled in comparison to something like Donkey Kong, and went on to not be very well-remembered and Nintendo still has done nothing with it. This is like saying a Wii retrospective shouldn't include Wii Sports.

Again, I feel you're letting Western bias cloud your judgement. This is very much a Japanese list that intends to catalog which games were notable in Japan. It's important to remember that Duck Hunt, and by extension the Light Gun/Zapper, weren't nearly as popular over there, and usually the one title that gets brought up in JP retrospectives is Wild Gunman instead. It's not so unpopular that it doesn't still get nods in an "oh yeah this was big over there" fashion (see its appearances in Smash for example), but it's not the totemic icon of the system that it is over here. So yeah, Duck Hunt not showing up intitially tracks to me. As for Golf, see my above argument with the addition of its notoriety as an example of HAL Labs and Satoru Iwata's prowess with the Famicom. Xevious is another one I will very much defend - that game is INSANELY popular and influential in Japan. It pretty much changed the course of arcade gaming, and every shoot-em-up to have things like scrolling enviroments owes its debt to it. The Famicom port was also one of the most popular games in the system's early days, basically being its must-have "killer app" of late 1984, and is an example of how important Namco were in building the FC's success. No retrospective on the system's history, hell, on Japanese gaming history as a whole, is complete without Xevious. It's that important.

Do you mean, like, "regular" Kung Fu? As opposed to Yie-Ar? It was a Nintendo-made conversion of an Irem arcade game originally named Spartan X (after a Jackie Chan movie), and its main notoriety is that the original arcade game is considered a major pioneer of the beat-em-up genre, and the FC port was just generally really popular and successful.
Thank you for your rant, as I was letting Western bias cloud my judgement. And yet, the fact that the Famicom's elongated name actually meant something in its early years somehow mirrors how the NES was originally marketed as a toy. The coincidence makes me smile a bit.

Always nice to see a different perspective on life.

DynamicSmasher

Smash Cadet
I could see the rest of the year having maybe one presentation a month:

August: Pokemon Presentation
September: Nintendo Direct
October: Mario Wonder Direct?
November: Indie Direct
December: A trailer or two (Prime 4?) at the Game Awards
October could also be a general Mario direct, especially if the Peach game comes out in early 2024. Covering Mario Wonder(October 20) SMRPG(Nov 17) -doubly so if they've added any new features, MK8 DLC and the Princess Peach game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Here are the ideal guest characters I’d pick for Mario Kart (including those who’ve already appeared):
  • Link
  • Kirby
  • Captain Falcon
  • Villager
  • Inkling
  • R.O.B.
  • Pac-Man
  • Sonic
You mean Toon Link Right?
I dont know Tall Link doesnt really fit with the mario Cast!?
I Mean Link a heavy? That isnt acurate at all!
Also the inevitable BOTW/TOTK Look Shouldnt be the default especially not replacing green link as the default!
Yeah have kirby ride a warp star kart!
Also where´s Pikachu/ Pokemon Trainer?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The modding scenes are monsters once again:
Real talk; if Guilty Gear got a character in Smash, I want them to animate like they do in STRIVE.
I saw that mod in the modding direct posted by 64ios last week. It’s really exciting we’re finally getting completely unique moveset mods. I haven’t learned how to add much beyond model swaps, stages, and music so I’ll definitely have to look into that. The only thing left is to get a lot more stage mods with fun unique layouts. Most of them right now are Battlefield like with a flat stage and a few random floating platforms.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
RogersBase did his own take on an SSBU DX
I like Chun-Li and I'm including her in a roster that I'm developing for Smash 6, but I'd be pretty disappointed if she was only one of three unique newcomers in a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe. If we were only getting that little content, I'd want each character to really bring something new to the table. I don't know if a third Street Fighter character would necessarily accomplish that, especially when she'd most likely share the "fireball-rising antiair-horizontal spinning kick" trifecta that Ryu and Ken would have.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I like Chun-Li and I'm including her in a roster that I'm developing for Smash 6, but I'd be pretty disappointed if she was only one of three unique newcomers in a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe. If we were only getting that little content, I'd want each character to really bring something new to the table. I don't know if a third Street Fighter character would necessarily accomplish that, especially when she'd most likely share the "fireball-rising antiair-horizontal spinning kick" trifecta that Ryu and Ken would have.
Yeah, I agree with that. I like Chun-Li well enough too and it would be cool to see another character voiced by Laura Bailey but I don’t think I’d prioritize a third Street Fighter character over a brand new franchise with only three slots. Personally, if we did get another Street Fighter character, my favorites are Guile Vega (claw), and Cammy but I realize Chun-Li is the most popular so I can accept that.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah, I agree with that. I like Chun-Li well enough too and it would be cool to see another character voiced by Laura Bailey but I don’t think I’d prioritize a third Street Fighter character over a brand new franchise with only three slots.
If Chun-Li got in Smash, it probably wouldn't be Laura Bailey voicing her and would likely be her new voice actress from Street Fighter 6, Jennie Kwan.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
What's this? Another Switch 2 leak? Say it ain't so.

VGC does have reputable sources so if they're saying late 2024 is what Nintendo is targeting for their next console then you should all keep an eye on that. I expect the next Smash to follow within the next two years, so like around 2026 at the absolute latest. Makes you wonder if Sakurai is already working on the game what with his latest video saying he doesn't envision Smash without him at the moment.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here my Zelda Merch:
View attachment 375385
There is much to see on there Right :-D !
Nice. The only Zelda merch I have beyond the games are amiibos. My brother has a couple Zelda shirts. I personally have a bunch of figures (Mostly TMNT but I have others like Alien, Predator, Spawn, Marvel, and others). We have quite a few Pokémon plus he’s though. I’m pretty much out of space to display anything but I keep buying them. I’ll have to figure something out there lol.

If Chun-Li got in Smash, it probably wouldn't be Laura Bailey voicing her and would likely be her new voice actress from Street Fighter 6, Jennie Kwan.
Oh, I didn’t realize they changed her voice actress. Did they change the actors/actresses for everyone? I really liked a lot of the voices in the previous SF games.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Oh, I didn’t realize they changed her voice actress. Did they change the actors/actresses for everyone? I really liked a lot of the voices in the previous SF games.
Some of them stuck around (Ryu is still Kyle Hebert, for example) but yeah quite a few of them did get changed (most notably Ken).

Top Bottom