• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Some just don't want it changed up to the point they no longer are the character introduced in Smash.

Which is fine and all. What isn't fine is when it gets into flame wars, etc. :/
I can understand that. Ganondorf would be my one exception since he was introduced as a last minute clone in Melee and has only gotten competitively worse since. I feel like he could use a complete rework from the ground up as if he were a newcomer. Other characters like Lucario, DK, Wario, Samus, and Sonic could just use a few new moves like they did for Bowser. Although, truth be told, I do miss Bowser’s old moveset.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Either way, we already have Advent Children content in Smash so I think it’s fair game. I feel like if the IP itself originated in gaming, content from that IP in other media should be fine too. That’s why I think Jessie and James from Team Rocket would make a really exciting character team.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Either way, we already have Advent Children content in Smash so I think it’s fair game. I feel like if the IP itself originated in gaming, content from that IP in other media should be fine too. That’s why I think Jessie and James from Team Rocket would make a really exciting character team.
well that may have been an exception as AC is the same canon as the game

then again mewtwo shadow ball was in a movie first and unlike the Pokémon themselves we can’t be sure it was made with a game in mind

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I just finished a moveset I did for Noah & Mio, largely based on the one Source Gaming did.
  1. Swordfighter & Zephyr outfits (default)
  2. Medic Gunner & Tactician outfits
  3. Heavy Guard & Ogre outfits
  4. Keves & Agnus soldier uniforms
  5. Consul N (Swordfighter gold) & M (Zephyr grey)
  6. Melia (Medic Gunner black) & Nia (Tactician yellow)
  7. Ethel (Heavy Guard grey) & Cammuravi (Ogre orange)
  8. No jackets
    • The player can select Mio’s long hair for any of her alts by pressing the Y on the character select
Intro: Noah appears from rings of ether energy and summons his weapon.

Stance/Idle 1: Noah grasps his Blade in both hands, bends his knees, and takes a stance loosely resembling Cloud’s.
Idle 2: Noah straightens up, closes his eyes, and holds his sword up close to his face.
Idle 3: Noah holds two fingers to the side of his head, and the Ouroboros symbol appears in his right eye.

Walk: Noah cautiously marches ahead, grasping the Veiled Sword in one hand and keeping its tip lowered.
Dash: Noah, with one hand on his Blade, holds it to one side and runs forward.
Damage: Noah gives a pained expression as his hand briefly releases the Veiled Sword.
Jump: With only one hand grasping his sword, Noah leaps upward, then performs an average frontflip or backflip.
Crouch: Noah takes a knee, rests one hand on the ground, and uses his other hand to keep the sword in front of his upper body.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Noah swings his Blade from left to right, then right to left, then finishes this three-hit combo with a downward slice
Forward+A: Noah quickly punches ahead with the scabbard-armored hand
Down+A: Noah stabs Lucky Seven along the ground, launching opponents horizontally
Up+A: Noah thrusts the Veiled Sword upward, covering a wide radius both in front and behind himself

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Noah spins horizontally to strike both sides with Lucky Seven and its sheath
Air Forward+A: Noah unsheaths Lucky Seven and slashes horizontally
Air Back + A: Noah turns around and swings the Veiled Sword upwards
Air Up+A: Noah slashes the Veiled Sword above himself
Air Down+A: Noah unsheaths Lucky Seven, then plummets to the ground

Dash Attack: Noah unsheaths Lucky Seven and thrusts forward with a resounding stab
Edge Attack: Noah stabs his sword along the ground
Get-Up Attack: Noah stands back up with a kick to one direction and a sword swing to the other

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Infinity Blade; Noah slashes Lucky seven upward, then slashes it back down as an ether wave travels forward
Up+A: Noah points Lucky Seven towards the sky
Down+A: Tachyon Slash; Noah draws Lucky Seven and slashes so quickly, bursts of slashes appear around him

Grab Game
Grab: Noah grabs the opponent with the scabbard-armored hand
Pummel: Noah knees the opponent
Forwards+Throw: Edge Thrust; Noah releases his enemy, then stabs the Veiled Sword directly through them
Down+Throw: Ground Beat; Noah slashes the Veiled Sword towards the ground, slamming the opponent with it
Back+Throw: Noah rolls behind the opponent, then slashes them with Lucky Seven
Up+Throw: Air Slash; Noah strikes the foe with a rising uppercut from Lucky Seven

Special Moves
B : Sword Strike
; Noah braces himself, then performs a turnaround slash with his Veiled Sword
B + Forwards : Overclock Buster; Noah leaps forward, flips in midair to prepare the Veiled Sword, then falls with increasing speed as he cleaves anything in the way
B + Up : Harmonic Wave; Noah draws Lucky Seven, engulfed in ether particles, and spirals directly upward
B + Down : Night Breaker; Noah unsheathes Lucky Seven, jumps up and thrusts it towards the ground to release a wave of ether

Final Smash: Limits Unbound; Noah & Mio dash towards the opponent. The first opponent successfully hit is taken into a cutscene where Noah in his Ouroboros form slashes the opponent with two swords, then Mio in her Ouroboros form slashes the opponent with her rings.

Gimmick: Noah can switch with Mio by pressing Shield + B. You can start with Noah by selecting him on the character select screen.

Taunts
Up: “Riku find rare doodad right here!” Riku appears from behind Noah and grabs a piece of machinery off the ground.
Side: “This is our path to the future!” Noah unsheathes Lucky Seven and points it forward.
Down: “Let’s bring it home!” Noah tosses the Veiled Sword into the air, catches it, then swings it to the side.

Winposes
1: Noah draws Lucky Seven, slashes at the air with it, and then holds it in front of himself.
2: Noah & Mio Interlink and assume Noah’s Ouroboros form
3: Noah & Mio play their respective renditions of A Life Sent On

Applause: Noah & Mio clap for the winner
Icon: The Xenoblade series icon
Boxing Ring Title: Off-seer of Keves
Star K.O.: https://youtu.be/OOHl6sbg7OI?t=4
Victory Music: The Weight of Life
Kirby Hat: Noah’s hair
Intro: Intro: Mio appears from rings of ether energy and summons her weapon.

Stance/Idle 1: Mio leans forward, holds a Moonblade in each of her hands, and rhythmically shifts back and forth.
Idle 2: Mio crosses her arms for a bit.
Idle 3: Mio briefly perks up after her ears twitch.

Walk: Mio holds one ring in front of herself and advances forward.
Dash: Mio briskly sprints ahead, her arms and Dual Moonblades to her back.
Damage: Mio grits her teeth and stumbles backward, then regains her composure.
Jump: Mio leaps into the air, her arms and rings raised above her head, and executes some flashy somersaults.
Crouch: Mio lowers her head and rests one hand on the ground.

Normal Attacks
Jab: Lightning Quick; Mio rapidly slashes the opponent with her Dual Moonblades, finishing with a wide slash with both of them
Forward+A: Mio hurls one of her Dual Moonblades a short distance before it comes back to her
Down+A: Mio hurls one of her Dual Moonblades a short distance before it comes back to her
Up+A: Mio performs a roundhouse kick above her head

Aerial Attacks
Air+A: Mio elegantly frontflips while extending a leg
Air Forward+A: Mio swings one of her Moonblades downwards
Air Back + A: Mio thrusts one of her rings upwards behind herself
Air Up+A: Glow Ring; Mio twirls one of her rings above herself
Air Down+A: Mio does a wide slash below herself with both rings

Dash Attack: Mio performs a roll with both rings out
Edge Attack: Mio performs a handstand before kicking the ground
Get-Up Attack: Mio gets back on her feet with a nimble spin

Smash Attacks
Forward+A: Gemini Strike; Mio does a spin jump forward while attacking with each ring
Up+A: Mio performs an uppercut with one of her rings
Down+A: Dominion Flower; Mio lets her Dual Moonblades encircle her for a bit

Whenever Mio charges her Smash attacks, her Dual Moonblades rapidly rotate around her.

Grab Game
Grab: Mio grabs the opponent with her free hand.
Pummel: Mio slashes the opponent twice with one of her rings
Forwards+Throw: Mio turns around and backhands the opponent with one of her rings
Down+Throw: Mio jumps with her rings raised and slams the opponent with them
Back+Throw: Mio seamlessly dashes behind the opponent, then slashes them with both rings
Up+Throw: Mio performs a backflip kick while holding both rings

Special Moves
B : Butterfly Blade
; Mio charges one of her Dual Moonblades, then throws it at the opponent. Holding B has Mio charge both her rings and throw them on both sides.
B + Forwards : Speed Demon; Mio charges darts towards the opponent, hitting them multiple times with one of her rings
B + Up : Air Fang; Mio corkscrews in the direction tilted on the control stick, then dives diagonally downwards
B + Down : Wide Slash; Mio pounces ahead and slashes the opponent with both rings

Final Smash: Death of 1,000 Cuts; Mio & Noah each throw a ring at the opponent. Any opponents hit are taken into a cutscene where Mio in her Ouroboros form spins at the enemy multiple times, then Noah in his Ouroboros form uses his Blade as a hover board and performs a 180o spin.

Gimmick: Mio can switch with Noah by pressing Shield + B. You can start with Mio by selecting her on the character select screen.

Taunts
Up: “Manana want something a bit meatier!” Manana appears from behind Mio and grabs an unspecified ingredient off the ground.
Side: Mio performs a few practice swings with her twin rings and glares forward
Down: “It’s been fun.” Mio tosses her Dual Moonblades upward and leaps into the air to catch them

Winposes
1: Mio writes something in her diary.
2: Mio & Noah Interlink and assume Mio’s Ouroboros form
3: Mio & Noah play their respective renditions of A Life Sent On

Applause: Mio claps for the winner
Icon: The Xenoblade series icon
Boxing Ring Title: Off-seer of Agnus
Star K.O.: “AAaaaah…!”
Victory Music: The Weight of Life
Kirby Hat: Mio’s hair

Gengar84

Smash Hero
well that may have been an exception as AC is the same canon as the game

then again mewtwo shadow ball was in a movie first and unlike the Pokémon themselves we can’t be sure it was made with a game in mind
Doesn’t Mewtwo have its movie voice in the Japanese Smash as well? I think Jigglypuff was also chosen for Smash partially due to its popularity in the anime at the time (and it was an easy edit to Kirby). Might as well go all the way and give us Jessie and James with a bunch of iconic songs from the anime.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe that's just me but I think people are way too eager to replicate Pokemon Trainer.

I think it's too specific of a concept to recapture by just slapping three mons together again.
I wasn’t really envisioning them to play like Pokémon Trainer. I was thinking they could actively participate in battle and summon different Pokémon to help with specials and some other attacks. For example, Jessie could summon Wobuffet for a counter and James could trap people with Carnivine. You would primarily be controlling the trainers themselves this time. They’d basically be this game’s version of Yuna from Dissidia. Their normals could involve them utilizing various gadgets as well as some basic punches and kicks.

Before anyone says trainers would never physically fight themselves:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Digimon is a video game series. As long as the playable character at least showed up in one of the games, it’s fair.

Any other Digimon material is already fair game for other roles anyway. Also, yes, Jigglypuff was added due to popularity in the anime and was an easy clone~

(Am on mobile, so can’t heavily reply for a while).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m always on my phone. Has anyone else noticed Smashboards freezing up a lot lately and running really slow? I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m on my phone or there’s something going on with the site.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I’m always on my phone. Has anyone else noticed Smashboards freezing up a lot lately and running really slow? I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m on my phone or there’s something going on with the site.
Some mobile users have experienced "freezing." Have you noticed anything specific going on when it happens ie specific ad showing for example? You may want to open a thread in the support forum.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Some mobile users have experienced "freezing." Have you noticed anything specific going on when it happens ie specific ad showing for example? You may want to open a thread in the support forum.
No, it just freezes up and I have to close out and re open a few times then it works for a few minutes before it freezes again. It’s pretty annoying when I’m trying to type something.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I've read rumors again about Liko being Ash's daughter but I don't believe it, I'll have to see it to believe it because those rumors don't tell me anything.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Gengar84 Gengar84 what's your mobile OS and Browser version?

On another note, Steve bans showing up all over from TOs ... Makes me think about several aspects of smash development. Is making a character "true" to their sources worth reinventing the wheel so to speak? I didn't really care one way or the other about Steve, or Minecraft for that matter - never played it. But I was happy his inclusion brought joy to so many fans. Now he's the undisputed "best" character in the game, competitively, and he's banned or will be banned because he's so broken design wise. Could this have gone differently? Maybe they should have waited to end dev patches ... Maybe they will reassemble the balance team. Heh.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Gengar84 Gengar84 what's your mobile OS and Browser version?

On another note, Steve bans showing up all over from TOs ... Makes me think about several aspects of smash development. Is making a character "true" to their sources worth reinventing the wheel so to speak? I didn't really care one way or the other about Steve, or Minecraft for that matter - never played it. But I was happy his inclusion brought joy to so many fans. Now he's the undisputed "best" character in the game, competitively, and he's banned or will be banned because he's so broken design wise. Could this have gone differently? Maybe they should have waited to end dev patches ... Maybe they will reassemble the balance team. Heh.
Okay, I just checked and it says it’s a 12 mini. I use Safari as a browser.

As for Steve, I don’t play competitively so I wouldn’t know where to begin fixing him or what exactly makes him so broken. It would be nice if we still got balance patches every now and then and if they came with more substantial changes that could actually help address the problems with the character instead of small tweaks here and there that almost no one but the most hardcore players would ever notice.

For the next game, they could always simplify Steve’s mining gimmick to be more like Inkling’s ink and not track specific materials from different terrain types. I think that would still get the idea across without being so complex. That probably doesn’t fix him being overpowered but it would make him easier to pick up and play. They could always nerf the overpowered moves as needed.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Okay, I just checked and it says it’s a 12 mini. I use Safari as a browser.

As for Steve, I don’t play competitively so I wouldn’t know where to begin fixing him or what exactly makes him so broken. It would be nice if we still got balance patches every now and then and if they came with more substantial changes that could actually help address the problems with the character instead of small tweaks here and there that almost no one but the most hardcore players would ever notice.

For the next game, they could always simplify Steve’s mining gimmick to be more like Inkling’s ink and not track specific materials from different terrain types. I think that would still get the idea across without being so complex. That probably doesn’t fix him being overpowered but it would make him easier to pick up and play. They could always nerf the overpowered moves as needed.
Yeah, actually come to think about it many fighting games have one or more broken characters but I don't mind using them in a casual setting. Shao Kahn in MKT was always a favorite. Spent the first 10 seconds with the taunt then hammer hammer hammer x.x lol!

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Yeah, actually come to think about it many fighting games have one or more broken characters but I don't mind using them in a casual setting. Shao Kahn in MKT was always a favorite. Spent the first 10 seconds with the taunt then hammer hammer hammer x.x lol!
That’s one reason I’m perfectly content with my completely average skill at Smash. I have just as much fun and success with Ganondorf and Little Mac as I do with Steve and Joker. Probably even more so. I don’t think I’m really good enough to take advantage of the high level of play some of the better characters excel at. I usually like big simple powerhouse characters in most fighting games I play. That said, I still have a lot of fun as Terry and Kazuya despite having no idea how to play them effectively.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If any non-video game material from a video game franchise that's not a playable character is fine, i propose Pastaland as a stage with the Koopalings songs from SMB3 and SMW.
View attachment 368757
That would be fun. I’d also like to see a Bowser alt based on his appearance in that show. I’ve mentioned it before, but the voice acting in that cartoon is still my favorite for every Mario character. It’s sad that some of the actors are no longer with us.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
That would be fun. I’d also like to see a Bowser alt based on his appearance in that show. I’ve mentioned it before, but the voice acting in that cartoon is still my favorite for every Mario character. It’s sad that some of the actors are no longer with us.
Sadly Harvey Atkin is no longer with us.
Same with Lou Albano, Danny Wells and their successors: Walker Boone and Tony Rosato.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
It's a bit late but here is my just-for-fun future roster for the next Smash Bros game.

This doesn't include echo fighters on here.

(Bold: Newcomer)

First Party Characters
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Daisy
  5. Bowser
  6. Bowser Jr
  7. Rosalina and Luma
  8. Toad
  9. Wario
  10. Waluigi
  11. Donkey Kong
  12. Diddy Kong
  13. Dixie Kong
  14. King K Rool
  15. Link
  16. Zelda
  17. Ganondorf
  18. Samus
  19. Ridley
  20. Sylux
  21. Yoshi
  22. Kirby
  23. Meta Knight
  24. King Dedede
  25. Bandana Waddle Dee
  26. Fox
  27. Falco
  28. Wolf
  29. Krystal
  30. Pikachu
  31. Mewtwo
  32. Pokemon Trainer
  33. Greninja
  34. Incineroar
  35. Toxtricity
  36. Ness
  37. Lucas
  38. Marth
  39. Ike
  40. Robin
  41. Corrin
  42. Alear
  43. Pit
  44. Paluenta
  45. Captain Falcon
  46. Mr Game and Watch
  47. R.O.B.
  48. Olimar
  49. Villager
  50. Isabelle
  51. Wii Fit Trainer
  52. Little Mac
  53. Mii Fighters.
  54. Shulk
  55. Pyra/Mythra/Rex
  56. Inkling
  57. Min-Min
  58. Spring Man
  59. Ring Fit Trainer
  60. Excitebike
  61. Chibi Robo
Third Party Characters
  1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Snake
  4. Mega Man
  5. Pac Man
  6. Ryu
  7. Ken
  8. Cloud
  9. Sephiroth
  10. Bayonetta
  11. Simon
  12. Richter
  13. Joker
  14. Hero
  15. Banjo-Kazooie
  16. Terry
  17. Steve
  18. Kazyua
  19. Sora
  20. AiAi
  21. Agumon
  22. Isaac Clarke
  23. Dragonborn
  24. Cuphead
  25. Scorpion
Anyone got any thoughts? Or should I change something here? I know EA Rep's don't get talked about much, but I added my personal favorite gaming character from EA on here just for the rep spot. Plus Isaac would be a great foil for Samus gameplay and mechanic wise.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's a bit late but here is my just-for-fun future roster for the next Smash Bros game.

This doesn't include echo fighters on here.

(Bold: Newcomer)

First Party Characters
  1. Mario
  2. Luigi
  3. Peach
  4. Daisy
  5. Bowser
  6. Bowser Jr
  7. Rosalina and Luma
  8. Toad
  9. Wario
  10. Waluigi
  11. Donkey Kong
  12. Diddy Kong
  13. Dixie Kong
  14. King K Rool
  15. Link
  16. Zelda
  17. Ganondorf
  18. Samus
  19. Ridley
  20. Sylux
  21. Yoshi
  22. Kirby
  23. Meta Knight
  24. King Dedede
  25. Bandana Waddle Dee
  26. Fox
  27. Falco
  28. Wolf
  29. Krystal
  30. Pikachu
  31. Mewtwo
  32. Pokemon Trainer
  33. Greninja
  34. Incineroar
  35. Toxtricity
  36. Ness
  37. Lucas
  38. Marth
  39. Ike
  40. Robin
  41. Corrin
  42. Alear
  43. Pit
  44. Paluenta
  45. Captain Falcon
  46. Mr Game and Watch
  47. R.O.B.
  48. Olimar
  49. Villager
  50. Isabelle
  51. Wii Fit Trainer
  52. Little Mac
  53. Mii Fighters.
  54. Shulk
  55. Pyra/Mythra/Rex
  56. Inkling
  57. Min-Min
  58. Spring Man
  59. Ring Fit Trainer
  60. Excitebike
  61. Chibi Robo
Third Party Characters
  1. Sonic
  2. Tails
  3. Snake
  4. Mega Man
  5. Pac Man
  6. Ryu
  7. Ken
  8. Cloud
  9. Sephiroth
  10. Bayonetta
  11. Simon
  12. Richter
  13. Joker
  14. Hero
  15. Banjo-Kazooie
  16. Terry
  17. Steve
  18. Kazyua
  19. Sora
  20. AiAi
  21. Algol
  22. Isaac Clarke
  23. Dragonborn
  24. Cuphead
  25. Scorpion
Anyone got any thoughts? Or should I change something here? I know EA Rep's don't get talked about much, but I added my personal favorite gaming character from EA on here just for the rep spot. Plus Isaac would be a great foil for Samus gameplay and mechanic wise.
well you got toad and chibi so it's perfect by that alone

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think Jonsey's spot in Smash will depend on if Fortnite does a good enough job of standing the test of time. Thus far, it has. But it remains to be seen if it'll still be a top dog in 3-5 years when the next Smash is coming out (I would assume we won't be waiting longer than that for the next game).

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think Jonsey's spot in Smash will depend on if Fornite does a good enough job of standing the test of time. Thus far, it has. But it remains to be seen if it'll still be a top dog in 3-5 years when the next Smash is coming out (I would assume we won't be waiting longer than that for the next game).
I think it's more likely than not that Fortnite sticks the landing. Battle Royale released about five and a half years ago (Jesus Christ), which is equivalent to Minecraft (the closest comparison I can think of) in 2015 or so. I definitely think Fortnite now is more popular than Minecraft was then (it's easy to forget that Minecraft had a period of unpopularity). If it's current state holds, or if it goes like a parabola like Minecraft did, I think it's inclusion is warranted.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I think it's more likely than not that Fortnite sticks the landing. Battle Royale released about five and a half years ago (Jesus Christ), which is equivalent to Minecraft (the closest comparison I can think of) in 2015 or so. I definitely think Fortnite now is more popular than Minecraft was then (it's easy to forget that Minecraft had a period of unpopularity). If it's current state holds, or if it goes like a parabola like Minecraft did, I think it's inclusion is warranted.
Yeah, Minecraft's period of unpopularity is what I had in mind when writing my comment. If Fortnite is going through something like that when roster additions are being planned, I could see it being skipped. But I agree it's more likely than not that Fortnite remains popular. Hmm, I wonder if Sakurai likes Fortnite a lot. I just remembered he really loved Minecraft for years and years before its inclusion. Jonesy probably has a strong chance regardless, but I still wonder whether Sakurai likes Fortnite lol.

Luke Starkiller

Smash Cadet
What do people think about Mortal Kombat getting into Smash Bros? I think you could tone down Scorpion or Sub Zero for Smash Bros easily whilst keeping their iconic moves. I always thought that Mortal Kombat was the last of the big fighting game franchises to not have a playable rep in Smash. I mean it could be possible, but who knows what the character license rights are for Scorpion since Warner Brothers Discovery own the franchise and Netherealm Games.

I'd also think that the song below would be a good theme for Mortal Kombat in Smash Bros as a remix:

Mortal Kombat 11 Launch Trailer Version Theme Song (complete version) - YouTube

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
What do people think about Mortal Kombat getting into Smash Bros? I think you could tone down Scorpion or Sub Zero for Smash Bros easily whilst keeping their iconic moves. I always thought that Mortal Kombat was the last of the big fighting game franchises to not have a playable rep in Smash. I mean it could be possible, but who knows what the character license rights are for Scorpion since Warner Brothers own the franchise and Netherealm Games.

I'd also think that the song below would be a good theme for Mortal Kombat in Smash Bros as a remix:

Sub-Zero is among my most wanted and he and Scorpion could be easily toned down for Smash. The original movie was very toned down and there was even a kid’s cartoon from back in the day. Both have already been toned down for Injustice as well. The only major hurdle is the franchise’s status in Japan seeing as the games are no longer sold there. I don’t think that makes it impossible for Smash if they want to appeal to the global fanbase but it is something they’d have to consider.

If we did end up getting an MK character, my personal preference is their UMK3 design. Going with one of their classic looks helps make Scorpion and Sub-Zero be able to function as semiclones since their normals were the same back then and only differed in specials. It also allows for easy alts for the other ninjas since they were just palate swaps visually.

1677606072181.jpeg

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
What do people think about Mortal Kombat getting into Smash Bros? I think you could tone down Scorpion or Sub Zero for Smash Bros easily whilst keeping their iconic moves. I always thought that Mortal Kombat was the last of the big fighting game franchises to not have a playable rep in Smash. I mean it could be possible, but who knows what the character license rights are for Scorpion since Warner Brothers own the franchise and Netherealm Games.

FWIW, we're already getting MK12 (though if you believe certain tumors, that's moreso because Netherrealm Studios thought they HAD to), so it's still relevant. We still need to figure out if it's really "banned" from Japan, though: still haven't found a solid answer there...

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

Mortal Kombat currently stands out as probably the biggest fighting game franchise that lacks representation. As such, I wholeheartedly support its inclusion, and strongly hope that Scorpion and/or Sub Zero make it into the next game. I don't see why they couldn't work toned down. We have Snake and Ridley who have pretty violent moves but they're nothing that would disturb a kid, so just do more along those lines. Stage should be fine since as far as I'm aware, there are plenty of locations in MK that lack violent imagery. Spirits should also be fine since you can just use images of the characters.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sub-Zero is among my most wanted and he and Scorpion could be easily toned down for Smash. The original movie was very toned down and there was even a kid’s cartoon from back in the day. Both have already been toned down for Injustice as well. The only major hurdle is the franchise’s status in Japan seeing as the games are no longer sold there. I don’t think that makes it impossible for Smash if they want to appeal to the global fanbase but it is something they’d have to consider.

If we did end up getting an MK character, my personal preference is their UMK3 design. Going with one of their classic looks helps make Scorpion and Sub-Zero be able to function as semiclones since their normals were the same back then and only differed in specials. It also allows for easy alts for the other ninjas since they were just palate swaps visually.

View attachment 368806
My favorite part is the cartoon is more popular than Annihilation. ...Not hard to see why, but the one that removed gore did better. Just saying.

Also, yeah, palette swap ninjas are awesome. Even when they aren't "technically" a ninja by correct naming(Ninjas only exist in Japan). Anyway, Subby and Scorps are both awesome characters and have lots of cool abilities. And hot ones, clearly.

Interestingly, Frost is the only female Lin Kuei to have the same body build as any regular ninja, whereas Khameleon is that way for the female ones(though the male and female ninjas don't have heavily changed up body builds beyond the sex difference respectively. It's mostly poses. Khameleon stands out in that way in that she's pretty much the same as the male ones, and is a good bridge to see how similar all the palette swap ninja types are(male or female).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
From what I understand MK isn't necessarily banned in Japan so much as physical retailers either aren't allowed or refuse to sell it due to it's gore factor. I know you can buy it easily digitally over there, and it has a niche community, but that's just it. It's niche. And while, say, Banjo-Kazooie also is niche in Japan it had the benefit of already being heavily associated with Nintendo and isn't an uphill battle for family friendliness. At a first glance I would argue most average families would say Metal Gear, Tekken, and Persona don't straight up look inappropriate unless you're actively following along with them, whereas MK with it's liberal use of blood and guts is immediately dismissed as trash by the older generation.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Maybe Jonesy, Sub-Zero, and Scorpion should wait until Microsoft acquires Epic and NetherRealm.
I get you're joking, but considering all the hoops Microsoft is going through just to get ActiBlizz, I wouldn't bet on them making any "big" acquisitions for awhile once that goes through. Especially not Epic: I think they might be even BIGGER than MS...

Top Bottom