• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Remember when Squeenix used to publish Activision games in Japan? (Mostly Call of Duty)

Before that, Pony Canyon (Fuji Communications' Music Label) had a video game department that occasionally ported some of Activision games for the MSX.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
3 characters would be way too excessive for one game in smash but Zack is the perfect echo fighter.

Yeah this doesn't contribute to any ongoing conversation i just wanted to type it because that's one of the games i'm playing.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

So like, I remember cinderace being discussed in the old thread, and now this so maybe he's still possible?
I wouldn’t say this case is too special. They did the raid for the easy Year of the Rabbit promotion and I imagine we'll get the other two Starters somewhere down the road similar to how Cinderace followed Charizard.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think there’s a place for both merit based discussion and sharing ideas for your favorites that might not have the best chances of making it in. Focusing too heavily on merit narrows discussion down to just a few characters and I personally feel it gets a bit boring. However, ignoring merit and only talking about your favorites can have its own issues like shutting down discussion on characters just because they happen to be popular. Everyone has their own interests and reasons to be excited about Smash so I think it’s great that we see both sides of the topic discussed around here. One big thing I try to keep in mind is that no one is forcing anyone to participate in discussion of any particular subject. If something doesn’t interest you, rather than try to shut it down, just take a break for a bit until a new topic is brought up that you have more interest in.
This is pretty much where I stand, with one small caveat. Discussing whatever ideas or characters you want is awesome: just have realistic expectations at the end of the day.

Let’s face it, no one likes being told to pump the breaks on the idea that their most wanted is very likely for the next Smash. People have emotional connections to characters they support. People love envisioning their dream character fighting exactly as they want them to. Having someone tell you that your character has something that might make them less likely is never fun. Despite this, I’d say at the end of the day it’s healthy. What makes a character cool to you is always going to be subjective. Some people might find Geno insanely cool, others might find the idea of him boring. It’s better to have realistic expectations though and make sure you don’t end up like the Geno thread in Smash Ultimate or the Shantae thread in Smash 4. Having the rug taken out from under you and your lofty expectations dashed makes people bitter and abrasive. Of course, you can make a compelling case that a character has a reasonable chance. Using facts and circumstantial evidence can help you convince others that your dream character has legs and more people might support them.

Obviously, this does not mean that you should support a character just because they already have fans or are seen as likely. Smash speculation at its heart has a bunch of people discussing their dream picks and imagining what that would look like. Sure, some people will support characters based on a variety of different reasons. Some do it for merit. Be it the character or what they represent, it is the merit of having them in that makes their inclusion important to some people. Others will support characters because they are popular. A lukewarm, going with the flow nod of acceptance and mild enthusiasm for a front runner isn’t uncommon. Some might call it bandwagoning, but not revert support base will be tight knit forever. The biggest, broadest reason people support things for Smash is because the like them and want them. Sure, people might attach or attribute merit to those things as part of their argument to have them in, but it’s pretty simple at the end of the day. As much as someone might say Isaac or Hayabusa or what have you deserved to be in Smash for xyz, they would not be evaluating that merit unless they wanted them in the first place. Be it for moveset reasons, nostalgia, content with the character, or just liking said character, people will want them. If you asked me what the true highlight of RTC was, it was listening to people make impassioned arguments about why their most wanted was cool to them and using RTC to highlight their ideas. Sure, sometimes the idea might get people apprehensive. Personally, seeing people push ideas in there helped me discover more franchises and games I love and helped me get through my backlog. It’s always great seeing why people love a character.

Support whoever you want. Try and get as many people to support your dreams, even if you worry they won’t be super popular. Just be prepared with realistic expectations for what the next smash might have in store
3 characters would be way too excessive for one game in smash but Zack is the perfect echo fighter.

Yeah this doesn't contribute to any ongoing conversation i just wanted to type it because that's one of the games i'm playing.
Zack honestly is such a natural echo, if they go all in on the idea he just makes sense to appear. They are also pushing Zack again with Crisis Core and who knows how Remake will turn out.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

Whether 3 characters is too excessive (for, I assume, a third-party series) or not, next time around Chun Li is going to be a pretty popular request, despite already having Ryu and Hatless Terry.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Whether 3 characters is too excessive (for, I assume, a third-party series) or not, next time around Chun Li is going to be a pretty popular request, despite already having Ryu and Hatless Terry.
That one wouldn't bother me, Street fighter is always the series that's over-represented in every crossover it's in, it would be weird if Smash didn't eventually get more street fighter stuff lol

Zack honestly is such a natural echo, if they go all in on the idea he just makes sense to appear. They are also pushing Zack again with Crisis Core and who knows how Remake will turn out.
And you can use the same description for Simon and Richter because lorewise Cloud is copying all of Zack's moves, so who's the real echo in this instance.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If we're still suggesting arcade representation for the next Smash, how about City Connection? Maybe Clarice (the series' main character) could be playable?

Okay, I know that's not happening, but we're already throwing Bubble Bobble's hat into the ring, so...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Man I'd just love for early arcade stuff to make it in as stages. Not just Taito, but Atari, Konami, Namco, Sega, etc.

Doing fights in Galaxian, Missile Command, Rastan, Monaco GP, there's all sorts of options. Smash with a DLC pack that had 10 classic stages from golden age arcade titles? Would be amazing.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Man I'd just love for early arcade stuff to make it in as stages. Not just Taito, but Atari, Konami, Namco, Sega, etc.

Doing fights in Galaxian, Missile Command, Rastan, Monaco GP, there's all sorts of options. Smash with a DLC pack that had 10 classic stages from golden age arcade titles? Would be amazing.
Just getting any classic SEGA arcade music in Smash would be lovely. We do already have After Burner, but there's so much other great stuff from that era. The Space Harrier theme, the OutRun soundtrack, Outride a Crisis, Opa-Opa!, Quartet Theme, Beyond the Galaxy, the list goes on. If you wanna get into the 90s, there's stuff like the Daytona OST, In the Blue Sky, Desert Replay from the Saturn port of SEGA Rally, etc.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This is pretty much where I stand, with one small caveat. Discussing whatever ideas or characters you want is awesome: just have realistic expectations at the end of the day.

Let’s face it, no one likes being told to pump the breaks on the idea that their most wanted is very likely for the next Smash. People have emotional connections to characters they support. People love envisioning their dream character fighting exactly as they want them to. Having someone tell you that your character has something that might make them less likely is never fun. Despite this, I’d say at the end of the day it’s healthy. What makes a character cool to you is always going to be subjective. Some people might find Geno insanely cool, others might find the idea of him boring. It’s better to have realistic expectations though and make sure you don’t end up like the Geno thread in Smash Ultimate or the Shantae thread in Smash 4. Having the rug taken out from under you and your lofty expectations dashed makes people bitter and abrasive. Of course, you can make a compelling case that a character has a reasonable chance. Using facts and circumstantial evidence can help you convince others that your dream character has legs and more people might support them.

Obviously, this does not mean that you should support a character just because they already have fans or are seen as likely. Smash speculation at its heart has a bunch of people discussing their dream picks and imagining what that would look like. Sure, some people will support characters based on a variety of different reasons. Some do it for merit. Be it the character or what they represent, it is the merit of having them in that makes their inclusion important to some people. Others will support characters because they are popular. A lukewarm, going with the flow nod of acceptance and mild enthusiasm for a front runner isn’t uncommon. Some might call it bandwagoning, but not revert support base will be tight knit forever. The biggest, broadest reason people support things for Smash is because the like them and want them. Sure, people might attach or attribute merit to those things as part of their argument to have them in, but it’s pretty simple at the end of the day. As much as someone might say Isaac or Hayabusa or what have you deserved to be in Smash for xyz, they would not be evaluating that merit unless they wanted them in the first place. Be it for moveset reasons, nostalgia, content with the character, or just liking said character, people will want them. If you asked me what the true highlight of RTC was, it was listening to people make impassioned arguments about why their most wanted was cool to them and using RTC to highlight their ideas. Sure, sometimes the idea might get people apprehensive. Personally, seeing people push ideas in there helped me discover more franchises and games I love and helped me get through my backlog. It’s always great seeing why people love a character.

Support whoever you want. Try and get as many people to support your dreams, even if you worry they won’t be super popular. Just be prepared with realistic expectations for what the next smash might have in store

Oh yeah, definitely. While I think it’s great to dream big and never lose hope, it’s also important to keep your expectations in check and not assume a character is a given just because you want it to be so. Whenever I talk about my dream picks, I usually try to preface it by bringing up the fact that I’m not exactly expecting them. I do try to mention some reasons why I think they’re at least possible with the exception of my complete pipe dream of Zegram Ghart from Rogue Galaxy that has as close to no chance as you can get.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

I think Zack can easily be last minute addition and doesn’t really take anyone spot
Zack also have a fanbase so many would be happy with his inclusion

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
We do know now that western third parties are not off the table, however, thanks to Banjo and Steve. For all we know, Ultimate could have been the start of a shift to include popular characters from around the world and not just limit them to Japan. I think it’s too early to say.

If we’re looking for very influential or iconic western properties that also fit into the aesthetic and gameplay of Smash, I think Blizzard’s IP are definitely in the conversation along with others like Chief, Crash, a League of Legends character, and a few others. There’s also characters that are less iconic overall but have stronger ties to Nintendo like Fulgore, the Battletoads, Conker, Joanna Dark, and Rayman.
It's pretty telling that in a roster of 89 characters where we had 24 newcomers to the series, only 2 were from western companies (and from the same one, even!). And out of these 2, one was highly voted for in the ballot while the other came from the best selling game in the world.
Smash has always been a game that's been made by japanese people, with japanese sensibilities and preferences - sakurai himself mentioned that he sees smash as a means to showcase japanese franchises to the world. And its not like we're running short on japanese IPs either, we've barely even dipped the surface of seeing multiple characters from the same franchise!

It's pretty possible we will see more western characters moving forward. But given the long history of character selection, i wouldn't be too surprised if they're really big/special and still be in the huge minority overall.

I think lumping all western characters in with Candy Crush and COD guy is purposefully uncharitable to the point of absurdity. Candy Crush's main problem is lack of demand and the audience is extremely casual to the point where they won't even buy Nintendo products aimed directly at them. This is the complete opposite of the point I made about the Blizzard IPs because that audience is already comprised of dedicated gamers right out the gate which makes them appealing if Nintendo is considering bringing new fans to Smash. COD guy's main problem is just that, he's basically a generic soldier with no real character whereas the Blizzard IP again don't suffer from this. There's also the fact that Chief and Doomslayer are way more requested than COD solider guy and could literally do everything he could do WAAAAAAY better and with far more personality. Not to mention I think they over-rely on celebrities for their games because when I think of a COD character I always picture that guy from Law and Order. Finally Pong Bar is also represented as an assist trophy.

I think with regard to Grand Theft Auto that all of these arguments also apply. The characters from those games all have well-established personalities outside of Claude from GTA3. The "worthiness" of GTA also really can't be disputed. I'd love to watch Fire Emblem characters go up against CJ or Trevor. It'd be funny as hell and highlight one of Smash's core strengths which is character diversity and the broad appeal thereof.

I also think it's unfair to assume that this couldn't potentially be the start of western characters getting into the game more frequently just like I think it's not appropriate to assume that's a guaranteed sure thing either.
Pretty assumptive of you to jump to the conclusion that my candy crush/COD argument was directed towards western representation when the context initially was about sales numbers, but i digress. Most of my points to gengar already applies to your arguments.
Plus i'm sure there are many other IPs out there with new audiences...but somehow a blizzard character stands out specifically?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's pretty telling that in a roster of 89 characters where we had 24 newcomers to the series, only 2 were from western companies (and from the same one, even!). And out of these 2, one was highly voted for in the ballot while the other came from the best selling game in the world.
Smash has always been a game that's been made by japanese people, with japanese sensibilities and preferences - sakurai himself mentioned that he sees smash as a means to showcase japanese franchises to the world. And its not like we're running short on japanese IPs either, we've barely even dipped the surface of seeing multiple characters from the same franchise!

It's pretty possible we will see more western characters moving forward. But given the long history of character selection, i wouldn't be too surprised if they're really big/special and still be in the huge minority overall.

Pretty assumptive of you to jump to the conclusion that my candy crush/COD argument was directed towards western representation when the context initially was about sales numbers, but i digress. Most of my points to gengar already applies to your arguments.
Plus i'm sure there are many other IPs out there with new audiences...but somehow a blizzard character stands out specifically?
True, but those two characters were both from the most recent game, hence why I suggested the possibility of a shift towards considering more characters beyond just those created in Japan. Not that it will necessarily happen but I think it’s definitely possible.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Because I’m bored, I figured I’d talk about something Pokémon-related other than characters. I always thought the music selection in particular was pretty lacking, so I figured I’d compile a list of 10 songs per generation (assuming this was in base Ultimate, never mind that I have also not played Scarlet and Violet), as well as other songs from other sources.

(Bold indicates a new remix; some of them are used as concepts, while others are fanmade remixes that I use as examples)

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman

Seems like a bunch of self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing to me. Just lazy argumentation based on precedent and a fairly transparent attempt at rationalizing your bias for Japanese video games.

Going from Melee to Brawl one could have assumed there'd be no 3rd parties whatsoever using this lazy argumentation. Going from Brawl to Smash 4 one could have assumed there'd be no DLC using this lazy argumentation with DLC after Mewtwo being something Sakurai literally went back on in real-time so that's another hole in your lazy argument. Finally going from Brawl/Smash 4 to Ultimate one could assume there'd be character cuts using this argumentation.

Acting like it's a given that Smash will continue to borderline ignore western franchises is absurd. It's not. It can easily change course at any time under a potential change in leadership or other motivating factors. You're also underselling the wealth of potential these western franchises have to offer by pretending whatever you personally feel is left to add of remaining Japanese franchises and/or additional reps Japanese franchises with current character representation in the game is a legitimate substitute to this extremely untapped western character pool. It's not. Western games are disappointingly underrepresented and it SHOULD be addressed. Will it? Maybe and that's all anyone can really say on the matter. Sure precedent feels like it's the safest bet but oftentimes it's actually not at all as has been proven countless times in the history of the world. Perhaps when comparing precedent to novelty it's relatively safer but I think this relatively safer bet is highly overstated even when factoring that comparison.

Also if this extremely lazy "Japanese people make the game for themselves" argument held any real water then Lucas' inclusion would have been a non-issue but we all know Sakurai almost cut him and has entirely dismissed character before because of a distinct lack of international appeal.

I didn't have to assume anything because it was obviously uncharitable for its own sake. My post was literally about Grand Theft Auto having a very similar claim to Minecraft but you immediately went for unrequested/unpopular (within the context of Smash spec) franchises to dismiss the notion of sales mattering in a conversation about Nintendo's motives with regard to their character selection for this game. If this argument works for Minecraft then I don't see why it doesn't apply to Grand Theft Auto. I think comparing Grand Theft Auto with its wealth of contributions to gaming culture to something like Candy Crush is absurd. Call of Duty at least has that too so it's a more fair comparison it's just simply a problem with Call of Duty's character pool. If Call of Duty can establish a defined original character that is beloved by AT LEAST its own community then sure I'd absolutely agree that the worthiness of this hypothetical character's inclusion would be indisputable.

Yes Blizzard IPs do stand out specifically for the reasons I've already stated. Dedicated gamers are fans of these IPs that also probably have very minimal overlap with Smash's audience. Why? Because they're PC gamers and a common trait of these types of gamers is a fetishization of hardware specs something Nintendo notoriously isn't at all very interested in. They're also primarily fans of mature games realistic games in order to utilize these specs which is yet again something Nintendo almost entirely avoids throughout its entire history as an organization. They're also obsessed with games requiring high amounts of skill to partake in playing AGAIN something Nintendo isn't known for pursuing themselves. ALL OF THIS is before we consider the fact that Nintendo isn't even appealing to ANY PC gaming community so it's essentially untapped even if everything I just said can be assumed to untrue or overstated. Why Blizzard IPs then? Besides the working relationship Microsoft has established with Nintendo it's because Blizzard IPs are also colorful and heavily stylized or at least every IP they have besides Diablo is.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Seems like a bunch of self-fulfilling prophetic navel-gazing to me. Just lazy argumentation based on precedent and a fairly transparent attempt at rationalizing your bias for Japanese video games.

Going from Melee to Brawl one could have assumed there'd be no 3rd parties whatsoever using this lazy argumentation. Going from Brawl to Smash 4 one could have assumed there'd be no DLC using this lazy argumentation with DLC after Mewtwo being something Sakurai literally went back on in real-time so that's another hole in your lazy argument. Finally going from Brawl/Smash 4 to Ultimate one could assume there'd be character cuts using this argumentation.

Acting like it's a given that Smash will continue to borderline ignore western franchises is absurd. It's not. It can easily change course at any time under a potential change in leadership or other motivating factors. You're also underselling the wealth of potential these western franchises have to offer by pretending whatever you personally feel is left to add of remaining Japanese franchises and/or additional reps Japanese franchises with current character representation in the game is a legitimate substitute to this extremely untapped western character pool. It's not. Western games are disappointingly underrepresented and it SHOULD be addressed. Will it? Maybe and that's all anyone can really say on the matter. Sure precedent feels like it's the safest bet but oftentimes it's actually not at all as has been proven countless times in the history of the world. Perhaps when comparing precedent to novelty it's relatively safer but I think this relatively safer bet is highly overstated even when factoring that comparison.

Also if this extremely lazy "Japanese people make the game for themselves" argument held any real water then Lucas' inclusion would have been a non-issue but we all know Sakurai almost cut him and has entirely dismissed character before because of a distinct lack of international appeal.

I didn't have to assume anything because it was obviously uncharitable for its own sake. My post was literally about Grand Theft Auto having a very similar claim to Minecraft but you immediately went for unrequested/unpopular (within the context of Smash spec) franchises to dismiss the notion of sales mattering in a conversation about Nintendo's motives with regard to their character selection for this game. If this argument works for Minecraft then I don't see why it doesn't apply to Grand Theft Auto. I think comparing Grand Theft Auto with its wealth of contributions to gaming culture to something like Candy Crush is absurd. Call of Duty at least has that too so it's a more fair comparison it's just simply a problem with Call of Duty's character pool. If Call of Duty can establish a defined original character that is beloved by AT LEAST its own community then sure I'd absolutely agree that the worthiness of this hypothetical character's inclusion would be indisputable.

Yes Blizzard IPs do stand out specifically for the reasons I've already stated. Dedicated gamers are fans of these IPs that also probably have very minimal overlap with Smash's audience. Why? Because they're PC gamers and a common trait of these types of gamers is a fetishization of hardware specs something Nintendo notoriously isn't at all very interested in. They're also primarily fans of mature games realistic games in order to utilize these specs which is yet again something Nintendo almost entirely avoids throughout its entire history as an organization. They're also obsessed with games requiring high amounts of skill to partake in playing AGAIN something Nintendo isn't known for pursuing themselves. ALL OF THIS is before we consider the fact that Nintendo isn't even appealing to ANY PC gaming community so it's essentially untapped even if everything I just said can be assumed to untrue or overstated. Why Blizzard IPs then? Besides the working relationship Microsoft has established with Nintendo it's because Blizzard IPs are also colorful and heavily stylized or at least every IP they have besides Diablo is.
I feel like I’m one of the only people who’s a huge Nintendo fan but also really loves Blizzard’s characters and worlds. There’s just something about their style that really appeals to me. I’ve just always loved that general style but I could never put it into words to describe it. Other games I love the style of include League of Legends, Darksiders, and Legacy of Kain. Not sure if there’s really a name for that general style. It’s nice to see that I’m not the only one around here that thinks a Blizzard character would be cool in Smash. I always thought I was alone in that one (provided they actually work towards improving their toxic work environment).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's hardly just their bias. Smash is CLEARLY biased towards Japanese games. It'd be insane to pretend otherwise.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any non Japanese franchise or character is either undeniably popular, or was straight up weird for missing out for so long as Diddy and K.Rool's late arrivals despite being very popular requests a whole Smash game prior to their inclusion. Banjo and Minecraft are also a sort of double deal with Microsoft.

It should honestly say more than enough about expectations regarding Western made characters and franchises. Not that I can name anything worthwhile.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's hardly just their bias. Smash is CLEARLY biased towards Japanese games. It'd be insane to pretend otherwise.
It does make sense that Smash would have a preference towards Japanese games, seeing that Nintendo is a Japanese company. I never expect western newcomers to overtake Japanese newcomers at any point but I don’t think it’s out of the question that we could start seeing more representation than we have historically. Banjo and Steve show that they are at least on the table. Since they were both introduced late into the series so close together, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to look at this as a potential shift in Nintendo being more open to further western characters.

It is worth noting that both western third party characters are owned by Microsoft, who Nintendo is on friendly terms with at the moment. If Microsoft ends up finalizing the deal to acquire Activision/Blizzard, that might help their chances. Beyond Microsoft, there are other western characters that are iconic globally such as League of Legends and Mortal Kombat that could really help appeal Smash to a new audience. I do think that if we do see more western characters, they will likely either be very recognizable and influential in gaming history or at least have played a big part in Nintendo’s own history.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think Zack can easily be last minute addition and doesn’t really take anyone spot
Zack also have a fanbase so many would be happy with his inclusion
I know the broad strokes of Crisis core's plot but this is my first time actually playing it, so far Zack is a pretty cool protagonist.

His personality clashing with everyone else in this cast makes him fel like a Kingdom hearts protagonist that just got dumped into a proper Final fantasy game. lol

Because I’m bored, I figured I’d talk about something Pokémon-related other than characters. I always thought the music selection in particular was pretty lacking, so I figured I’d compile a list of 10 songs per generation (assuming this was in base Ultimate, never mind that I have also not played Scarlet and Violet), as well as other songs from other sources.

(Bold indicates a new remix; some of them are used as concepts, while others are fanmade remixes that I use as examples)

WIP
Your going to make a list lik this and not include the theme of the best Pokemon character?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know the broad strokes of Crisis core's plot but this is my first time actually playing it, so far Zack is a pretty cool protagonist.

His personality clashing with everyone else in this cast makes him fel like a Kingdom hearts protagonist that just got dumped into a proper Final fantasy game. lol
i feel like you've not encountered a number of the FF protags

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think that the door is open to more western characters for the next game. I also think the next game will primarily be Japanese characters. Sure, we might get more than we did last time third party wise, but I think it’s safe to assume even with two seasons of DLC the roster will at least tilt towards Japanese IPs. The next smash game could have six new western third parties and Dixie Kong and we would probably have more Japanese IPs in.

That being said, dismissing western characters whole hog is just a dumb idea. Several popular requests like Crash, Rayman, Dovakhin, Chief, or Doomguy are all western picks. Crash and Dovakhin are also popular in Japan which is a nice boon.

Heck, there are likely IPs with like League of Legends or Fortnite that could show up regardless of fan demand. I know no one here is chomping at the bit for Jinx or Ahri, but League is massive: it has more active players than the populations of the United Kingdom, France, and Spain combined. Fortnite also is a juggernaut with no signs of stopping either. I could make a strong argument for either of these two franchises getting a character in the next Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I will be stuck in a laughing fit for several hours if Jonesy actually makes it to the next smash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly I think base game might be an interesting place to really look at Western characters for the next entry. Being a core of core Smash greatly reduces any risk because simply being the next SSB will still entice fans regardless if they're turned off by certain roster picks. Especially with "Everyone is Here" now no longer the hook, release game characters would be the most practical option for including region specific appeal choices, with the paid DLC being oriented towards generally worldwide popular selections. Heck they probably pull another Belmont move and have Western/Eastern oriented selections with the same franchise; a Terra Branford for the US/Europe and a Yuna for Japan.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Honestly I think base game might be an interesting place to really look at Western characters for the next entry. Being a core of core Smash greatly reduces any risk because simply being the next SSB will still entice fans regardless if they're turned off by certain roster picks. Especially with "Everyone is Here" now no longer the hook, release game characters would be the most practical option for including region specific appeal choices, with the paid DLC being oriented towards generally worldwide popular selections. Heck they probably pull another Belmont move and have Western/Eastern oriented selections with the same franchise; a Terra Branford for the US/Europe and a Yuna for Japan.
Does the Nintendo Co., Ltd. (the OG Japanese company) has knowledge of games that only it's American subsidiary released like StarTropics or Kirby's Avalanche?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Hm, but no western third party has been a base game unique newcomer. I think it's in part because there's always only 1-2 slots for unique 3P newcomers in base, so if you're trying to argue that X third party is likely for base then you need to show that it would be one of those top 1-2 picks on their list; in that light, any disadvantage is a big disadvantage, including that of being western.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think that the door is open to more western characters for the next game. I also think the next game will primarily be Japanese characters. Sure, we might get more than we did last time third party wise, but I think it’s safe to assume even with two seasons of DLC the roster will at least tilt towards Japanese IPs. The next smash game could have six new western third parties and Dixie Kong and we would probably have more Japanese IPs in.

That being said, dismissing western characters whole hog is just a dumb idea. Several popular requests like Crash, Rayman, Dovakhin, Chief, or Doomguy are all western picks. Crash and Dovakhin are also popular in Japan which is a nice boon.

Heck, there are likely IPs with like League of Legends or Fortnite that could show up regardless of fan demand. I know no one here is chomping at the bit for Jinx or Ahri, but League is massive: it has more active players than the populations of the United Kingdom, France, and Spain combined. Fortnite also is a juggernaut with no signs of stopping either. I could make a strong argument for either of these two franchises getting a character in the next Smash.
Speak for yourself. I’ve never actually cared about the main League of Legends MOBA game but I do really like their character designs and the Arcane show was really good. I’ve also recently bought the RPG The Forgotten King on Switch and I’m enjoying it so far.

I’d recommend anyone remotely curious about the LoL characters or story give Arcane a chance. It’s really well written and made me care about characters I had almost no prior knowledge of. I’d go so far as to say that it’s my favorite game to film or show adaptation I’ve ever seen.

Honestly, after the Battletoads, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, WarCraft, StarCraft, or Mortal Kombat, I think a League of Legends character is right at the top of my list as far as Western characters go despite my recent introduction to the franchise. I’d also love to see some Legacy of Kain or Darksiders representation as well but those are long shots at best.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Does the Nintendo Co., Ltd. (the OG Japanese company) has knowledge of games that only it's American subsidiary released like StarTropics or Kirby's Avalanche?
It's questionable, considering StarTropics didn't even get acknowledged in Smash Bros, alongside some other Western-developed games like TinStar, Geist, etc. And then there are some Western-developed games acknowledged by them, like Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3, Punch Out Wii, etc, but those ones were already part of existing Japanese-developed franchises.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
It's questionable, considering StarTropics didn't even get acknowledged in Smash Bros, alongside some other Western-developed games like TinStar, Geist, etc. And then there are some Western-developed games acknowledged by them, like Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion 2 & 3, Punch Out Wii, etc, but those ones were already part of existing Japanese-developed franchises.
There's the EAB trophy in Brawl bit that's it.

Reminder that SEGA released Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine and the Mega Drive version of Sonic 3D Blast in Japan since Mega Collection.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
One thing no one seems to have brought up is the fact they clearly were acknowledging a lot of big Western names with Mii costumes in Ultimate. Assassin's Creed, Cuphead, Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Rayman/Rabbids, Undertale, Shantae, Fallout all got recognition without having a playable rep on the roster at that point. It's also quite telling that Bethesda, Ubisoft, and Indies definitely have known fanbases to the developers. I wouldn't doubt us seeing a decent amount of the roster be Western names that have a fanbase in the East next time around.

Ivander

Smash Legend
One thing no one seems to have brought up is the fact they clearly were acknowledging a lot of big Western names with Mii costumes in Ultimate. Assassin's Creed, Cuphead, Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Rayman/Rabbids, Undertale, Shantae, Fallout all got recognition without having a playable rep on the roster at that point. It's also quite telling that Bethesda, Ubisoft, and Indies definitely have known fanbases to the developers. I wouldn't doubt us seeing a decent amount of the roster be Western names that have a fanbase in the East next time around.
I mean, I pointed it out long ago, but a reminder or two of how notable the Western representation is in Smash Ultimate compared to past Smash Bros. games is not un-needed.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Delzethin did a video on Raven Beak.
Nice! Delzethin’s movesets are always fun and interesting. I’ll have to take a look at this video when I get the chance. I personally slightly prefer EMMI as a Dread rep but Raven Beak makes a lot of sense too and would be great to see.

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Man I hope at least a decent amount of Japanese players are gonna play the Sparks of hope DLC. I'm still a optimist thinking Rayman can get in eventually but gaining some traction in Japan would be great

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
This is obviously very true but I still don't think that necessarily translates to a stigma against western IPs and games. It's just easier and more natural to do business in your own country and work with material (Japanese IPs) that you're more accustomed to by this nature.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
This is obviously very true but I still don't think that necessarily translates to a stigma against western IPs and games. It's just easier and more natural to do business in your own country and work with material (Japanese IPs) that you're more accustomed to by this nature.
On the other hand, Sakurai said working with Microsoft was easier than Square Enix.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Rayman and Rabbids are treated as their own thing by Ubisoft too. It's why they're entirely separated in Smash.

Though it does suck we didn't get a Rayman costume at least. :/ We certainly could've gotten one. I get he has kind of a poor presence in Japan, but still.

Top Bottom