• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

It's a Nintendo game, and I don't think it would need to be toned down too much to make it into Smash. (any stage seems like it would be unsettling and creepy rather than outright gory, with sanity effects that are designed to mess with the player as opposed to being gruesome) You could have Alexandra Roivas (the main protagonist) or Pious Augustus (the main villain) as playable characters - I'm not sure how likely it is that this guy would make it into the roster alongside Mario or Kirby:

...but if he is a bit much, Alexandra would be a safer option. (I already wrote a moveset for her, and Pious would be similar since they use the same magick system, as the game calls it)
The 3 ancients would be either stage hazards or bosses.
(For bosses, fight them one by one in a 3-phase battle)

Edit: These three eldritch horrors.
ancients.jpg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I mean, Castlevania does have horror elements and tropes. I'd say it's more Action Horror somewhat like Doom and Splatterhouse(both of which start very much like a standard horror film) compared to the horror genre established by games like Sweet Home, Clocktower, Resident Evil, Silent Hill and the Amnesia series. Kinda like how you have the first Alien movie, which was very much horror and then Aliens, which still had horror, but was also very action oriented.
Castlevania does have some horror elements but it's not really scary, which is why I don't consider it a horror series. It just has a dark atmosphere to it. It's also the same way I see Doom, as it's dark and violent but I never saw it as scary.

Resident Evil and Silent Hill, now those games are scary. They're meant to really freak you out. Sometimes, it seems like even protagonists are scared.

I place Castlevania in the same boat as Ghosts 'n Goblins, which is way too silly to be scary.

What do people think about Arthur in Smash anyway?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Castlevania does have some horror elements but it's not really scary, which is why I don't consider it a horror series. It just has a dark atmosphere to it. It's also the same way I see Doom, as it's dark and violent but I never saw it as scary.

Resident Evil and Silent Hill, now those games are scary. They're meant to really freak you out. Sometimes, it seems like even protagonists are scared.

I place Castlevania in the same boat as Ghosts 'n Goblins, which is way too silly to be scary.

Horror isn't always about being scary. I mean, there is a style of horror called "Hammer horror" and it's not meant to be particularly scary. The horror is more about the atmosphere and setting. And that certainly fits Castlevania, with it's focus on atmosphere and setting. And Doom isn't necessarily supposed to be scary either, nor did I say it was scary. But look at the story for the first Doom.
  • Humanity experiments with interdimensional travel.
  • Something goes horribly wrong.
  • Monsters kill or convert all of the humans there.
  • Player with team is sent to investigate and eventually finds they are the only survivor who needs to fight and escape.
This intro is not so different from many horror games and movies. It may be an FPS first and foremost, but it's story and setting still functionally makes it a horror game. You are a survivor trying to survive and escape a horde of monsters all bent on killing you, much like how in most horror games and often movies, your main plot is trying to escape the area you are in and the monster or monsters that are trying to kill you. In that sense, the horror isn't supposed to be the scare factor, it is the setting, story, atmosphere and whatnot.

Anyway, I'd be good with Arthur in Smash. Much like how I'd be good with alot of different Capcom characters.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Horror isn't always about being scary. I mean, there is a style of horror called "Hammer horror" and it's not meant to be particularly scary. The horror is more about the atmosphere and setting.
  • Player with team is sent to investigate and eventually finds they are the only survivor who needs to fight and escape.

This intro is not so different from many horror games and movies. It may be a [fighter] first and foremost, but it's story and setting still functionally makes it a horror game. You are a survivor trying to survive and escape a horde of monsters all bent on killing you, much like how in most horror games and often movies, your main plot is trying to escape the area you are in and the monster or monsters that are trying to kill you. In that sense, the horror isn't supposed to be the scare factor, it is the setting, story, atmosphere and whatnot.

Ultimate confirmed horror game. You heard it here first.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Castlevania sometimes gets played for horror. Especially in the cartoon on Netflix, where while it's still action-based, horror is a massive premise, based heavily upon the darkness the games induce.

The games themselves are far less about the horror aspects(which it doesn't lack), but sometimes it's part of the story too or partially active(like the nighttime in Castlevania II is the concept that the undead rise during it and terrorize people. They couldn't do much incorporating it into gameplay beyond being more to fight, though).

But it does make sense it's part of the series, though downplayed. They're creatures of the night who went to kill humanity. The 3D games, as few as they are, are able to play up the horror scenes a tad better. But when you have camera angles mixed in, it really really helps, heh.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Here is an interesting question If you had to add 5 more racing games reps to smash would you add? So far we only have :ultfalcon: in smash and technically:ultsonic::ultbanjokazooie: due to their first appearance

i will start
1. Black Shadow
2. Mach Rider
3. Hornet (Daytona)
4. F-Type (stunt race fx)
5. Pac-Devil

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Here is an interesting question If you had to add 5 more racing games reps to smash would you add? So far we only have :ultfalcon: in smash and technically:ultsonic::ultbanjokazooie: due to their first appearance

i will start
1. Black Shadow
2. Mach Rider
3. Hornet (Daytona)
5. Pac-Devil
You add F-Type and Pac-Devil but not a whiff of Reiko Nagase smh

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Just a head's up, people are suspecting Sakurai's next project to be a Switch port of Kid Icarus Uprising based on something he said at the end of his newest video. Personally, I think that if he WAS working on it, he wouldn't be allowed to say what he did, but I figured I'd mention it for those who think he went straight to the next Smash game.

Staarih

Smash Master
Just a head's up, people are suspecting Sakurai's next project to be a Switch port of Kid Icarus Uprising based on something he said at the end of his newest video. Personally, I think that if he WAS working on it, he wouldn't be allowed to say what he did, but I figured I'd mention it for those who think he went straight to the next Smash game.
He says: "It sure would be nice to play Kid Icarus: Uprising on a home console. I wonder if someone out there will ever port it?", for anyone wondering.

I've seen rumors about the game coming to Switch, so it wouldn't surprise me, but as for Sakurai's role, I think it wouldn't be as major as, you know, developing the game itself as the port will likely be handled by another team. Maybe just supervising it or something. Not that I think Sakurai would've jumped straight to another Smash either way.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
We talked a lot about Disney yesterday here so here is a poll I made for Disney video game characters in smash poll you can vote for who you want https://strawpoll.com/polls/3RnYp5W3mye
I am really curious which Disney rep smash community wants now in smash after sora got in
I really want to see Xemnas. His design is awesome, especially with his white coat in the final battle. I also love seeing more villain representation in Smash. Ansem (Seeker of Darkness) would be great too. Ideally, I’d love to see Ansem, Xemnas, and Xehanort as a Pokémon Trainer style transform character but I’d gladly take either Ansem or Xemnas alone.

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144

i will start
1. Black Shadow
2. Mach Rider
3. Hornet (Daytona)
5. Pac-Devil
Sho Akasaki (Racing Lagoon)
Martian (Cruis'n Exotica)
Zobio and Zobiko (Sega All-Star Racing)
Chocobo (Chocobo Racing)
Knuckles (Team Sonic Racing)

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Big Brain
If Alear is going to be in the next Smash, some of the FE characters will have to be cut from the roster, because I have an idea. When Alear is selected, the player can choose what Emblem Ring to pick before the battle. Only 3 can be picked. The FE fighters that were cut from the last game, the others are new. With the exception of Marth, which ones will be cut and the new be added to Alear as rings?

Celica
Sigurd
Leif
Roy
Lyn
Eirika
Ike
Micaiah
Lucina
Corrin (Female)
Byleth (Male)

Here's my picks: Roy, Corrin, and Lyn

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
We talked a lot about Disney yesterday here so here is a poll I made for Disney video game characters in smash poll you can vote for who you want https://strawpoll.com/polls/3RnYp5W3mye
I am really curious which Disney rep smash community wants now in smash after sora got in
I had to update the poll I forgot Rallen from Spectrobe is also Disney video game franchise

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Big Brain
If Alear is going to be in the next Smash, some of the FE characters will have to be cut from the roster, because I have an idea. When Alear is selected, the player can choose what Emblem Ring to pick before the battle. Only 3-4 can be picked. The FE fighters that were cut from the last game, the others are new. With the exception of Marth, which ones will be cut and the new be added to Alear as rings?

Celica
Sigurd
Leif
Roy
Lyn
Eirika
Ike
Micaiah
Lucina
Corrin (Female)
Byleth (Male)
Terrible idea, and it won't happen. All these characters are making a reappearance because of their popularity, not because they lack it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Horror isn't always about being scary. I mean, there is a style of horror called "Hammer horror" and it's not meant to be particularly scary. The horror is more about the atmosphere and setting.

This intro is not so different from many horror games and movies. It may be a [fighter] first and foremost, but it's story and setting still functionally makes it a horror game. You are a survivor trying to survive and escape a horde of monsters all bent on killing you, much like how in most horror games and often movies, your main plot is trying to escape the area you are in and the monster or monsters that are trying to kill you. In that sense, the horror isn't supposed to be the scare factor, it is the setting, story, atmosphere and whatnot.

Ultimate confirmed horror game. You heard it here first.
I remember when the characters were trying to find a way to make the off-screen KOs less painful, only for their experimentations on Goombas, Gnawties, Waddle Dees, and eventually a Cucco to go wrong and create Galeem, who thought they wanted more pain instead. The lesson learned by the characters? "Deal with it." :shades:
Big Brain
Remember when Lyn had the Mani Katti and Sol Katti? Well, IS doesn't either, so I don't blame ya.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Looks like I missed everyone posting their long wishlists. So:

Playable Fighters
  1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  4. Kunio/Riki [River City]
  5. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  6. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  7. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  8. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  9. Nightmare [Soulcalibur]
  10. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  11. Shantae [Shantae]
  12. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
  13. Amaterasu [Okami]
  14. Dante [Devil May Cry]
  15. Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
  16. Strider Hiryu [Strider]
  17. Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
  18. Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
  19. Crono [Chrono Trigger]
  20. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
  21. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
  22. Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
  23. Bomberman [Bomberman]
  24. Estelle Bright [Legend of Heroes]
  25. Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
  26. King Hippo [Punch-Out]
  27. Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
  28. Zero [Mega Man X]
  29. Alucard [Castlevania]
  30. Raiden [Metal Gear]
Echo Fighters

10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
82e. Roxas [Kingdom Hearts]

Bosses

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Playable Fighters
  11. Shantae [Shantae]
  13. Amaterasu [Okami]
  28. Zero [Mega Man X]
  30. Raiden [Metal Gear]
Echo Fighters

10e. Ninten [Ness]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]

Bosses

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Oh, I must have missed the boat myself. There’s a ton of characters I’d love to see. I’ll share my long wishlist when I can find the time.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I know people are on the Meowscarada train for a S/V rep but there are so many more interesting new Pokemon in that game, and I say that as someone who picked Sprigatito and has it fully evolved in my playthrough
While I'm psyched I FINALLY got a Grass/Dark starter, I'm annoyed that it's another catman, like my Fire/Dark starter.

I'm trying to build a Dark team here! Not a catman team!

Disney only has 2 game franchises that are realistic to choose from being kingdom hearts and club Penguin
Disney owns LucasArts.

I'd like to order one Guybrush Threepwood meal please. With a side of Maniac Mansion spirits.

As far as horror, there's likely a way to make Pyramid Head work, though whether the final version would be faithful enough would be a matter of interpretation.
Pyramid Head should be an AT.

Want.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It is a cool final roster, but it's in no way realistic, because it based almost every non-promotional newcomer on fan popularity. If you look at previous lineups, it's only a small number of inclusions actually owing to the fans.

The only third-party who isn't among the most popular seems like Sol. Meanwhile they base almost every character on popularity but cut Sora? Why? Especially after all the effort to procure him.

The first-parties seem alright I guess. I'm guessing people are upset about the cuts, but cuts do need to happen, and it seems like overall they chose sensible ones. Ones less popular, less integral to their series, or of derivative design. Retaining Dark Pit over some of the other cuts is weird though.

Though Sourcegaming itself has published statements of how they don't select characters of regional exclusivity, so I have no idea why they stuck Sukapon and Takamaru (who I think in Sakurai's mind probably still counts) on there. And Sylux seems premature, as has his entire support for the last however many years. Especially over ZSS.

Like, yeah, I'd be very happy to get this roster. It's got a ton of fan favorites. But it's not gonna happen. It's basically every overly idealistic fan roster, with like seven fan favorite third-parties and basically every remaining fan favorite first party.

Cool chart, though I think the idea that a company will expand just because they're present is flawed, given how not every company's stable is exactly equal. Like, on one side you have Capcom and Microsoft, who could populate the third-party newcomers by themselves, on the other you have SNK and Disney, where more characters seems a much more tenuous outcome.

Microsoft owns the rights to the one game, Studio MDHR owns the IP. That's why something like Cuphead in Smash wouldn't involve Microsoft.
I mean Zelda Having 4 Characters total seems Weird Dont you think? Heck even Meele had 5!

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I feel like Spelunker can be an echo fighter for Guy Spelunky and maybe Halloween Harry could be an echo fighter for Quote from Cave Story but the latter is a stretch

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion

Playable Fighters
  11. Shantae [Shantae]
  13. Amaterasu [Okami]
  28. Zero [Mega Man X]
  30. Raiden [Metal Gear]
Echo Fighters

10e. Ninten [Ness]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]

Bosses

Mother Brain [Metroid]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
You forgot the assist trophies you personally want.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Horror isn't always about being scary. I mean, there is a style of horror called "Hammer horror" and it's not meant to be particularly scary. The horror is more about the atmosphere and setting. And that certainly fits Castlevania, with it's focus on atmosphere and setting. And Doom isn't necessarily supposed to be scary either, nor did I say it was scary. But look at the story for the first Doom.
This intro is not so different from many horror games and movies. It may be an FPS first and foremost, but it's story and setting still functionally makes it a horror game. You are a survivor trying to survive and escape a horde of monsters all bent on killing you, much like how in most horror games and often movies, your main plot is trying to escape the area you are in and the monster or monsters that are trying to kill you. In that sense, the horror isn't supposed to be the scare factor, it is the setting, story, atmosphere and whatnot.
But as already mentioned....doesn't sound quite similar to Ultimate?

Being the only survivor, fighting your way through creatures does not make it a horror game.

Anyway, I'd be good with Arthur in Smash. Much like how I'd be good with alot of different Capcom characters.
Cool!

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I would like to start a conversation though. Horror games!

So far the only things horror related we have in Smash is a Fatal Frame assist trophy and some Fatal Frame and Resident Evil spirits.

Which horror franchises do you think could make the jump to playable status? What franchises would you like to see make that jump? What kind of movesets would they have?

And perhaps the biggest question, can they make the franchise appropriate for "good boys and girls of all ages?"
I'll agree with the others and say RE is the big one. Silent Hill is another one that I do think warrants some representation, but as has been discussed, there's some messy stuff in relation to the use of Pyramid Head in crossovers. Granted, they could theoretically go for someone like Heather, which would be cool. Alone in the Dark is a classic influential game that's worth noting, but I'm not sure how well it actually lends itself to Smash representation. They should totally add the Scissorman from Clock Tower tho

Anyway I'm gonna be super predictable here for a second, but I'd love to see some House of the Dead stuff. Thing is, my two most preferred options for the series are a villain and a spinoff character, and the main human protagonists aren't terribly interesting, so I don't know if I really need a character. I think a great way of getting it in would be if we got a Pac-Man-style "SEGA arcade rep" like Opa-Opa or Harrier or whoever, and that came with some HotD stuff. Get AMS Agent and the Magician's theme in there, yknow

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Anyway I'm gonna be super predictable here for a second, but I'd love to see some House of the Dead stuff. Thing is, my two most preferred options for the series are a villain and a spinoff character, and the main human protagonists aren't terribly interesting, so I don't know if I really need a character. I think a great way of getting it in would be if we got a Pac-Man-style "SEGA arcade rep" like Opa-Opa or Harrier or whoever, and that came with some HotD stuff. Get AMS Agent and the Magician's theme in there, yknow
Another cool way to represent House of the Dead would be with Magician as an AT and a boss, kinda like Rathalos.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Speaking of Rathalos, Monster Hunter is the most ominous character in Smash in terms of third party characters in my opinion. I also think people overlook this character a lot.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Never thought I'd see the day where someone (other than me) would suggest Reiko Nagase or a Cruis'n "character" for Smash Bros...

Ivander

Smash Legend
But as already mentioned....doesn't sound quite similar to Ultimate?

Being the only survivor, fighting your way through creatures does not make it a horror game.
Unless I missed the experimentation and whatnot, it's not that similar.

My point is, horror isn't just a genre. It's also a style and aesthetic. You can have horror games that don't focus on being scary. Look at Left 4 Dead. It focuses on alot of horror aspects and whatnot, but it doesn't focus on being scary. Evil Dead. Has horror plots and alot of horror tropes, doesn't focus on being scary. Splattehouse. Has alot of horror tropes and a gallery of monsters that would make most horror monsters look tame, doesn't focus on being scary.
Horror isn't all about being scary sometimes. Sometimes it's used as an aesthetic, background and whatnot. While such titles and movies may not be horror in the sense of Resident Evil, Silent Hill and whatnot, it doesn't mean they can't be horror-focused.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I mean Zelda Having 4 Characters total seems Weird Dont you think? Heck even Meele had 5!
Size-wise, yeah. Though I understand why you would de-prioritize the two clone Links and Sheik, if you were making cuts.

Unless the cuts were really extensive, I don't think the real roster would lose both TL and Sheik. Maybe one, but probably not both. Not unless they add multiple Zelda newcomers or something. But this roster isn't realistic anyway.

I remember when the characters were trying to find a way to make the off-screen KOs less painful, only for their experimentations on Goombas, Gnawties, Waddle Dees, and eventually a Cucco to go wrong and create Galeem, who thought they wanted more pain instead. The lesson learned by the characters? "Deal with it." :shades:
Getting hung up on whether there's experimentation or not runs totally counter to someone trying to argue how many ways horror as a genre can manifest.

"Giant monster descends from the sky surrounded by other monsters, kills everybody, leaves the world full of literal wandering spirits, one survivor gets away"
"Yeah, but there's no experimentation"
"Oh right, I guess it's not horror"

If anything, if that's the biggest difference, is shows how close my example actually was to yours.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Horror games, games with a substantial amount of horror elements (ie body horror, jump scares, macabre subject matter) and not strictly Survival Horror, and besides RE, SH and Fatal Frame .. hmm...

Alone in the Dark, Fear Effect, Parasite Eve, Clock Tower, The 7th Guest, Dino Crisis, Phantasmagoria, D, and about 20 more I never played or could slip into the category by way of loose definition like Castlevania. I mean the first time I ran into the inverted laboratory I was pretty scared, not gonna lie.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Getting hung up on whether there's experimentation or not runs totally counter to someone trying to argue how many ways horror as a genre can manifest.

"Giant monster descends from the sky surrounded by other monsters, kills everybody, leaves the world full of literal wandering spirits, one survivor gets away"
"Yeah, but there's no experimentation"
"Oh right, I guess it's not horror"

If anything, if that's the biggest difference, is shows how close my example actually was to yours.
If anything, it's the key difference between a horror movie and a giant monster movie. Like how taking away the - in a + and now suddenly it's a : :laugh:

Top Bottom