• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Does anybody remember the mii costume reveals? With the more tame characters they said what game they were from but the more brutal characters they just said the characters name. Do you think that was because of the nature of their games?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
are the guns in RE worse than the rocket launchers snake has?
They're just as "real" but Snake like doesn't have his SOCOM or FAMAS because cartoon violence never uses real firearms unless it's for M. Like GI Joe they had pew pew lasers instead of machine guns. But yeah for an RE rep I love some of the ideas suggested by looking at marvel vs capcom.

Which then makes me want that to be the next fg rep in Smash. Who is the Terry of MvC?

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
are the guns in RE worse than the rocket launchers snake has?
I mean, it's more the way that it's implemented in Smash than how it is in the source material. But of course if you get too far from the source material then that's another issue that crops up. It's kind of hard for me to say if they would consider it worse or better than Snake.

At the very least, it's a thing that needs to be considered by the dev team.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
They're just as "real" but Snake like doesn't have his SOCOM or FAMAS because cartoon violence never uses real firearms unless it's for M. Like GI Joe they had pew pew lasers instead of machine guns. But yeah for an RE rep I love some of the ideas suggested by looking at marvel vs capcom.
I think part of the problem is that gun companies are getting increasingly sensitive about their designs being put in video games. So while Sakurai is less stringent about realistic guns, there are external factors keeping them out.

Which then makes me want that to be the next fg rep in Smash. Who is the Terry of MvC?
Ryu, who's already in Smash.

There's also Morrigan I guess, and she's pretty much Capcom's Captain Falcon.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly, if they absolutely positively had to do a Jill Valentine moveset without handguns or shotguns? Well with RE 1 & 3 there's the stun gun, flash grenade, knife, grenade launcher, rocket launcher, and mine thrower; if they feel like cheating and using things from RE 2 and 4 that opens up options like the bow gun or spark shot, and so forth.

Wouldn't necessarily be the most accurate depiction given the RE's typical use of standard guns, but it is doable.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The main character of a Horror Game based less around grotesque zombies and more so around ghosts.
I’m not sure the zombies are much of a problem. Granted they’re a lot worse than the zombies anyone else in the game has fought/become but still haven’t we had some pretty bad stuff already toned down?

Quillion

Smash Hero
The difference is that the F-Zero merchandise is non-existent. Unlike Morrigan that has a gazillion figures despite her franchise being dormant for almost +25 years.
I'm pretty sure those figures aren't made because of Darkstalkers.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Is Jill the most popular RE character? I thought it was Leon
Leon and Jill are pretty much tied. They're both absurdly popular. Chris and Wesker aren't far behind but Leon and Jill are a step above the rest.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Does anybody remember the mii costume reveals? With the more tame characters they said what game they were from but the more brutal characters they just said the characters name. Do you think that was because of the nature of their games?
Yeah, for some reason I don’t think they were allowed to officially say the names of M rated games within Smash so they used the character’s name instead. It was definitely a little awkward and I don’t completely understand why they couldn’t even say the name of the game. All the ratings technicalities go a bit over my head some times.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Is Jill the most popular RE character? I thought it was Leon
Leon, Jill, Chris and Claire are all popular, but Leon and Jill are probably the most popular Male and Female Resident Evil characters if not for Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 3 respectively. I think Leon only beats Jill in popularity because of how frickin' huge and popular Resident Evil 4 was and still is. There's a reason why many RE fans are looking at the Resident Evil 4 Remake with alot of caution, especially when many still agree that it really didn't need one.
The difference is that the F-Zero merchandise is non-existent. Unlike Morrigan that has a gazillion figures despite her franchise being dormant for almost +25 years.
It's not just the female characters only. Demitri, Jedah and Lord Raptor have still been getting figures as well. But I think part of that is because of how Capcom promoted how quirky and crazy their characters are and they are still fan favorites who still appear in crossovers, whereas Nintendo really does not give attention to F-Zero aside from Captain Falcon because of his Smash popularity. Like F-Zero has it's quirkyness too, but Nintendo never promoted that part of it compared to how Capcom promoted Darkstalkers back then.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If the trend of Final Smashes being primarily cinematic continues, then I could see Grima as part of an updated Robin FS, especially if Chrom is retained as playable.
No offense but god I hope this never happens. People have been pushing the idea of Grima being Robin's Final Smash for years and it's never sat right with me at all. Robin's entire character concept in Awakening's latter half comes down to them defying their destiny and refusing to succumb to Grima's will. So having what's meant to be their ultimate finishing move instead be them becoming the very thing they swore to never become just feels completely out of character to the point of being disrespectful.

It'd be like if Ryu's Final Smash were willingly tapping into the Satsui no Hado to become Evil Ryu. It would be totally out of character.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Back when the Nintendo association was big in the scene, it was all about Leon, obviously. Now I actually think we'd get Jill. I think she's just a few hairs past Leon in terms of being the face among... the three main faces.

Though I also thought we'd get Heihachi, not Kazuya. Ultimately it could go to any of the three, but I think Jill has the odds.

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
Speaking of Morrigan I think Hsein-Ko and Anakaris and Pyron are more interesting picks for a Darkstalkers rep despite Morrigan being the most popular character from the series
I wouldn't even know what Darkstalkers is without MvC. I think it would be odd for Anakaris and Pyron to get into smash before MvC
Edit: Anakaris was in MvC 2. I never played it. But I still feel the same. Maybe if MvC 2 gets a remake it would be different
Edit Edit: I feel like if Sakurai wanted an interesting character he wouldn't pick a fighting game character at all

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Speaking of Morrigan I think Hsein-Ko and Anakaris and Pyron are more interesting picks for a Darkstalkers rep despite Morrigan being the most popular character from the series
I mean, most of them are interesting picks in general. And Morrigan may be the more general and boring pick, but I mean, it's not often you can say that you can play as a succubus in a Nintendo game.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Morrigan is like the Captain Falcon of Capcom. Popular and beloved, but most famous for just showing up in crossover fighters than their own series, which doesn't really exist anymore.

Though I guess that could also apply to Strider. And Captain Commando. Capcom has a lot of Captain Falcons.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
People have been pushing the idea of Grima being Robin's Final Smash for years and it's never sat right with me at all. Robin's entire character concept in Awakening's latter half comes down to them defying their destiny and refusing to succumb to Grima's will. So having what's meant to be their ultimate finishing move instead be them becoming the very thing they swore to never become just feels completely out of character to the point of being disrespectful.
Hm, yeah, it's fair to say that it would be a clash with the rest of Robin's characterization in Smash, which might very well be why it was never chosen. Also the Chrom thing was probably cheaper to make and represents Awakening's Pair Up mechanic. The Grima thing is a highly unique aspect of the character which doesn't get to be showcased by the rest of the moveset, but you're right that it might jar some players. I'll think about it some more.

If Lyn ever made it in and/or FE7 got a stage, I always imagined the Dragon's Gate with the Fire Dragon as a stage boss. Always thought that would be Radd rad.

Last edited:

silenthunder

3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
I feel like Morrigan is more of the Fox of MvC because she was so good in Ultimate 3

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I mean, Tomb Raider is huge. I think while her not being part of Square anymore does hurt her since they don’t have that foot in the door anymore Tomb Raider is a massive series and Lara is an iconic character that I think she still has a very respectable shot.
I just feel uncertain. I do believe people overblow Japan argument. It's just that Sakurai and Nintendo didn't have enough time to cover other western properties.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Morrigan is like the Captain Falcon of Capcom. Popular and beloved, but most famous for just showing up in crossover fighters than their own series, which doesn't really exist anymore.

Though I guess that could also apply to Strider. And Captain Commando. Capcom has a lot of Captain Falcons.
TBF, what other dead franchise repped in MvC has a small yet vocal fandom that wants said franchise to be revived?

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
We tend to agree on most topics around here but I think this is the one thing we’ll never see eye to eye on. First, I believe that both Ryu Hyabusa and a Warriors rep are worthy and deserving Smash characters so I’m not trying to say Hyabusa shouldn’t get in. I do feel like the Warriors/Musou series has left a much bigger impact on gaming and especially Nintendo in recent years than Ninja Gaiden to the point where I feel a character like Lu Bu probably deserves a spot in Smash before Hyabusa. Not to mention that I’ve personally loved the Warriors franchise since Dynasty Warriors 2 on the PS2 and have invested several thousands of hours into the series over the years. Sadly, I have yet to play a single Ninja Gaiden game, so despite thinking that Hyabusa is a cool character, I have no personal attachment to him. I’d still be happy with his inclusion in Smash because who doesn’t like using a cool ninja character?
You have to consider more than just the impact of a series. When it comes to the characters, Hayabusa is much more closer to mascot material than Lu Bu is. Aside from being from a well-known series that's been around much longer, he's also a major character in a long running fighting game series, and has appeared in some Warriors games himself. Plus, the NES Ninja Gaiden games are still an influence on games too, as seen in recent games such as The Messenger and Cyber Shadow. So, Hayabusa has everything going for him to be the first Koei Tecmo character to be playable in Smash, especially when he's become a popular request over the years.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
TBF, what other dead franchise repped in MvC has a small yet vocal fandom that wants said franchise to be revived?
MY MOM!

Why did I feel like making that joke..?

But yeah, people want Darkstalkers back, but it honestly doesn't look like Capcom wants to bring it back. But I will say... if by some miracle, Demitri comes to Smash, I REALLY hope they at least TRY to make Midnight Bliss his Final Smash. I know, technical limits and whatnot, but COME ON! Imagine if Nintendo took the opportunity to reference Bowsette or something (just spitballing)!

SPEN18

Smash Champion
the Warriors/Musou series has left a much bigger impact on gaming and especially Nintendo in recent years than Ninja Gaiden
But, like, does the impact of the Warriors games only featuring Zelda and FE characters really have to do with the legacy of Lu Bu?
It raises the interesting question of how much a specific character benefits from what is done in related and/or same-series games not featuring that character (though the above is, well, a wonkier version of that situation). I guess I've used the importance of the Zelda franchise in general to help prop up the Zelda one-offs as a class of candidates. Idk if you give Lu Bu credit for the Nintendo crossover Warriors games, though.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
MY MOM!

Why did I feel like making that joke..?

But yeah, people want Darkstalkers back, but it honestly doesn't look like Capcom wants to bring it back. But I will say... if by some miracle, Demitri comes to Smash, I REALLY hope they at least TRY to make Midnight Bliss his Final Smash. I know, technical limits and whatnot, but COME ON! Imagine if Nintendo took the opportunity to reference Bowsette or something (just spitballing)!
I think I have a cool idea of how to make Midnight Bliss could work. Make it a cinematic Final Smash, where you see a 2D Drawing of that Character's Midnight Bliss form, as Dimitri runs up and sucks their Blood. I think that's a good 3D workaround for making Midnight Bliss work.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
never heard of it !

Hot take Capcom needs to shill Hagar from Final Fight to replace Incineror xO
Oh, Power Stone's a lot of fun. It's an arena brawler and not unlike how Smash would work if it was 3D instead of 2D.

I'm convinced it would've been a bigger deal if both games hadn't released exclusively for the Dreamcast. It's a great concept and fun characters. And since then I think the only re-release has been a PSP port.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You have to consider more than just the impact of a series. When it comes to the characters, Hayabusa is much more closer to mascot material than Lu Bu is. Aside from being from a well-known series that's been around much longer, he's also a major character in a long running fighting game series, and has appeared in some Warriors games himself. Plus, the NES Ninja Gaiden games are still an influence on games too, as seen in recent games such as The Messenger and Cyber Shadow. So, Hayabusa has everything going for him to be the first Koei Tecmo character to be playable in Smash, especially when he's become a popular request over the years.
Technically, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games actually predated Ninja Gaiden on the NES so I believe Lu Bu showed up on a Nintendo console before Hyabusa did but I get what you’re saying. Like I was saying in my earlier post, I personally feel like both Hyabusa and Lu Bu deserve a spot in Smash and there are definitely strong arguments in favor of Hyabusa. I just think a lot of people overlook the Warriors franchise and just assume that Ninja Gaiden is the only possible choice for the first Koei-Tecmo rep.

While Ninja Gaiden was definitely huge on the NES and had a very successful reboot on the X-Box 360, it was only really relevant for those two generations (as far as I’m aware). Dynasty Warriors spawned an entire genre that has been very relevant for every console generation since the PS2. It’s true that Ryu Hyabusa has appeared in various games as a guest like Dead or Alive and Warriors Orochi, which definitely speaks to his popularity. However, I feel like the various spin-offs of Dynasty Warriors including several from properties already represented in Smash (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Persona, and Dragon Quest) are at least as important.

There are a few reasons I decided to go with Lu Bu as a rep for the Musou series in general. The first is that I believe he’s the most recognizable to the general gaming audience. Even several people that don’t play Dynasty Warriors have heard the legends of “Don’t pursue Lu Bu”. I feel like he’s essentially the Scorpion to Zhao Yun’s Liu Kang. Zhao Yun is also a bit boring personality-wise. Lu Bu also has a unique weapon and a badass attitude. His theme song is also the main theme of Dynasty Warriors. I feel like he’s one of the few cases where choosing the villain over the hero is the logical choice.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Is the series getting revived with a sequel or will it just be re-released?
Apparently it's a remake. Of the first, presumably. Though maybe they'll amalgamate the two. Or at the very least, retain the 4-player that was introduced in the second.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Why not making a Smash Sisters spin off like the Tag Team Frenzy game SNK did years ago.

Ivander

Smash Legend

The thing with Capcom is that even if they have a number of series they aren't focusing on, even their lesser known franchises and characters still have a good amount of fans, and compared to Nintendo, Capcom certainly acknowledges them with more than just re-releases and whatnot, whether it'd be crossovers, costumes, shout-outs or whatnot. Also helps that some of their developers are also fans of these series.

Like there is a reason why even besides Capcom's Top 5 of Street Fighter, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter, you still have notable support for even lesser known series and characters and even find quite a bunch of people who may not support these characters, but would still be good with them, like Strider, Ace Attorney, Ghosts'n Goblins, Okami, Final Fight, Viewtiful Joe, etc. And heck, you still have people wanting series yet to appear in the Vs. Capcom series of games to appear in those games, like Breath of Fire, Sengoku Basara, Red Earth and Power Stone and even some of their developers wanted them in.

Capcom probably has the most popular set of characters behind or maybe even alongside Nintendo. And it truly shows when there isn't alot of opposition to smaller Capcom franchises getting in Smash Bros. Nor to a Nintendo vs Capcom crossover.

Last edited:
Top Bottom