• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's a question that isn't cut related.

What franchises already in Smash do you feel really missed the opportunity for a new stage in Ultimate?

I mean, for returning franchises we only got New Donk City and Great Plateau Tower. DLC added Garreg Mach Monastery, Cloud Sea of Alrest and Northern Cave.

We never got a Sun and Moon Stage or a Tropical Freeze stage. I would have loved a Samus Returns stage or a Star Allies stage. Heck R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage.

We could have gotten a cool Sonic stage. I imagine it would probably have been Sunset Heights but **** I'd have taken it.
nearly all of them i'd say. kirby's got so many great potential area's for stages, the alternate dimension seen in some games was a particular favourite in the bandana dee thread iirc. DK could have some nice stage from tropical freeze particularly the ones where we would have fought on giant ice lollies. ultra space from pokemon would had been an amazing stage. animal crossing may have been a bit harder but i've always thought a stage based on the museum stylized like luigi's mansion would have worked. i would have loved a wario land stage but failing that a stage based on the taxi game from game and wario would have worked nicely. pikmin has many nice locations that would have done the trick. wii fit is full of wacky locals that are ideal stage material. the miis could have had a miitopia stage. xenoblade had so much to work with from it's games, satorl marsh for example. and yes i'd have taken sunset heights as well

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

What franchises already in Smash do you feel really missed the opportunity for a new stage in Ultimate?

I mean, for returning franchises we only got New Donk City and Great Plateau Tower. DLC added Garreg Mach Monastery, Cloud Sea of Alrest and Northern Cave.

We never got a Sun and Moon Stage or a Tropical Freeze stage. I would have loved a Samus Returns stage or a Star Allies stage. Heck R.O.B. still doesn't have a stage.

We could have gotten a cool Sonic stage. I imagine it would probably have been Sunset Heights but **** I'd have taken it.
Yeah, Sun and Moon and Tropical Freeze not getting a stage are big missed opportunities. Also, Corrin/Fates not getting a stage too. Aside from Arena Ferox and Garreg Mach Monastery, Fire Emblem does not have many stages actually based in known areas in the game(whereas Castle Siege was based on FE's aesthetics and Colosseam was based on the recurring Arenas, which don't have a consistent design) and Fates has two areas in particular that I think would work for Smash and would be notably different from other stages. The first being the Opera House where Azura sings for Garon and the second being the Bottomless Canyon.

And once again, I still think they should get stages for franchises/games without playable characters, since they don't need to worry much about marketing and whatnot, and there are plenty of cool stages from other games & franchises.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Kinda sucks we couldn't get a stage from Star Fox Zero, mainly because it means that Ultimate is the first Smash title since Melee to not have any new Star Fox conversations. Would of liked to see something with the Zero versions of the cast.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Kinda sucks we couldn't get a stage from Star Fox Zero, mainly because it means that Ultimate is the first Smash title since Melee to not have any new Star Fox conversations. Would of liked to see something with the Zero versions of the cast.
I mean Smash 3DS, but I get what you mean.

Honestly I'm kind of shocked we managed to get new conversations for the Kid Icarus crew.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I fundamentally agree with TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom about the supposed merits of cuts, which I often feel are very exaggerated. So much work is being thrown away for practically no gain, like so little if any at all, that it's really functionally a pointless measure. You really have only lost something with it and gotten basically nothing in return.

I think it also stands to reason that Nintendo is gonna take notice what made this franchise double in sales growth just as much as they've taken notice of its unique DLC attachment rate that they've officially noted at those shareholder meetings before.

What people love about Smash is its grandiose nature. Gaming's biggest crossover, the first-ever platform fighter, and that roster size. I feel like Ultimate really established this as a core feature of Smash's brand identity like no entry before it and to turn around now would be an absolute blunder like no other.

I may have a low opinion of Nintendo as an organization but even I think they have no reason to turn away from what's working with this franchise. Like sure licensing may be expensive for this game compared to Nintendo's usual rate zero dollars for most of their games but is it really that much of an ask for an obvious system seller like Smash? That's before we even get to the fact that they've negotiated these rates before and now have these contracts to work as a base from when negotiations restart. Even if Sakurai and team aren't working on Smash-6/Ultimate-DX right now the legal team can still get a headstart on negotiating the 3rd party veterans. It's already been laid out why most companies will stay at this point (to be short, Bamco works on the game, Capcom and SEGA are fairly relaxed about licensing their IP, Konami's literal aim these days is to license our their IP, Square has literally done it 4 times now more than any other 3rd party company and Microsoft has financial interest in maintaining a working relationship with Nintendo) and even Sakurai's made note of how much easier it's become over time to convince companies to loan out their intellectual property to the game.

I personally really like Everyone is Here as a concept because it makes entry into Smash soooooooooo special. It's a huge acknowledgment of the 3rd party characters and the guarantee makes for nice assurances of both the characters' place in gaming history and the potentially ever-expanding grandiosity of Smash as a franchise.

If anything I'd really just like for at least Smash 6 to build off of Ultimate. I'd really like to see what Sakurai and team could do with Ultimate + DLC as a day 0 base with years of developmental time for more powerful hardware and a AAA budget that'd more than satisfy Massive Hero Soccer Guy himself. It's legitimately my dream game and if Nintendo won't do then the modders will but that'd still be a damn shameful waste of potential that it'd be heartbreaking.
well you’re hearts getting broken

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean Smash 3DS, but I get what you mean.
Eh? Smash 3DS just had Corneria, which just reused the same exact conversations from Melee, which were done by Steve Malpass, Chris Seavor and Ben Cullum from Rare as Adventures was coming out then.

Actually a better comparison would of been Orbital Gate Assault in Smash Wii U, whose conversations used the Star Fox 64 3D cast (Mike West, Lyssa Browne, Jaz Adams, Mark Lund) which essentially ARE the Star Fox Zero VA cast as well. But TBH their VA work there was pretty rough, as they were trying to recreate the cheesey feel of SF64 whereas they were trying to do more of their own thing in Zero (Mike West even said he was effected by the criticisms of his potrayal of Fox in Smash 4, which encouraged him to get better for Zero), so I'd like to have seen new conversations with them with that vibe.

Interestingly Jaz Adams (Peppy) and Lyssa Browne (Slippy) are listed in Ultimate's VA credits, despite not actually having any voice clips anywhere. Which seems to imply that OGA was a late cut...

Last edited:

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
80's: Frogger but his classic intrepretation
90's: Crash Bandicoot
00's: Master Chief
10's: OG Overwatch character I don't really care who
20's: Zagreus

well you’re hearts getting broken
*Your heart's and we'll see about that won't we?

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
And once again, I still think they should get stages for franchises/games without playable characters, since they don't need to worry much about marketing and whatnot, and there are plenty of cool stages from other games & franchises.
Considering Style Savvy: Styling Star's soundtrack bangs way more than it needs to, I agree with this.
----

I know we got New Donk and all, but it still blows my mind that Bowser's Castle still isn't a stage, especially since New Donk will remain an Odyssey-exclusive location while Bowser's Castle will continue to appear until Mario's copyright expires. We should've got it in Brawl at latest.

No, Paper Mario isn't good enough.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion

I'm still mad to not see a stage of Alola, easy one of the most cool-looking regions full of fun places like the Aether Base, the Team Skull city, any of the places of the trials, etc. Same thing for Kirby, I REALLY REALLY wanted to see Divine Terminus.

Also they added a ****ton of new Mega Man music but why there isn't another place to listen them?, specially since Willy Castle is quite ass imo.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Okay, I've noticed the thread moving on and Opossum Opossum already covered some parts, but I don't feel I should just not respond to certain parts of this. This first part I deem the more important one, so I'll put a break in after it and people can choose whether to read and/or respond to the rest. I just didn't have the energy to finish this post when I was working on it earlier.

It is a waste of time to just talk about the same thing every five to ten pages tops. Most people can agree with me here that it is boring to hear the same three people whine over cuts when we have next to no idea on what the next smash looks like. We do not even have a new system on the horizon to look at Smash on. Even then, the sheer rate of cuts discussion is just pointless. There are so many more interesting things the thread can talk about instead of a very vocal minority whining about Sheik, Pichu, or Corrin. Its always the same few people whining over cuts. Its a boring circular discussion that happens over and over again due to the hyper fixation of a few individuals. Smash is gaming's greatest crossover. There is a vast ocean of possibilities that can be discussed instead of talking about cuts every five to ten pages at most. Clearly you are part of the very vocal very small minority that asks for cuts, this thread can be so much more than the same three users talking about cuts. I know that you are very adamant about the topic of cuts, in no small part due to how frequently you participate or outright instigate in its discussion. But I am pretty sure even you can agree that there is so much more that can be touched upon in Smash's discussion than just cut talk.

But it is that last paragraph that I have a big issue with. Your response to someone saying that this thread has a few users talk too much about cuts to be to suggest someone not participate in discussion. This level of gatekeeping is just disgusting. At no point in my call out of cut talk did I discuss outright suggesting people should not participate in discussion. At worst, I said that a short term moratorium on cut talk would be a good thing for the thread. But here you are saying I should not participate in this thread because not only do you value said circular discussion, but also turn it on me. You have even agkowledged in the past that your views on the topic are divisive at best, but now it is my fault for saying that this thread could be better off if we dont discuss cuts every other few pages. I find this level of gatekeeping honestly very toxic, even if it is coming from a place of good intentions.
It's totally fine for you or others to dislike the topic, and nobody is preventing you or anyone else from fostering discussion of other items. My opinion is that it is not a waste of time to talk repeatedly about cuts because the issues arising out of the aftermath of EiH warrant extended discussion. Some of it is bound to be circular in a big thread like this, but I feel like new points are still being made and other points warrant occasional reiteration when relevant.

I am not discouraging you from participation; I said so explicitly and I hope you had no reason to believe that wasn't sincere. I can see now some ways in which what I said could have been misinterpreted or perturbing to you, so I'm sorry for that.

I did have a problem with repeated efforts to invalidate a topic that does indeed generate discussion and, frankly, is exciting for me personally to be able to discuss so openly after years of the Ult cycle, in which cuts were not on the table at all. I also had a problem with some of your reasonings that could probably apply to almost any popular and/or recurring topic relevant to this thread, which led to my comment suggesting you evaluate for yourself how much you want to read/post here. I also offered an alternative place to talk newcomers (the general franchise discussion threads), which you can choose to take or to leave. But the fact is that the likelihood of cuts is one of the few things that we do have a concrete statement on for the next Smash.

I also do not appreciate you characterizing some of the cuts discussion as "whining" when I have observed very little if any of that in here, but hopefully we can just move on from that. Sometimes there is back-and-forth talk between a few users, which again happens in a thread like this, but there has always been a good number of people willing to discuss cuts in general. I don't think it is accurate to say the entire discussion is just a few people, nor do I personally opine that the repeated discussion has been unhealthy (though your opinion there may be different). In any case there isn't a hard limit afaik on how often you can discuss a relevant topic in a public forum. While I motivate it frequently, that is because I genuinely like discussing it and basically every time I bring it up, other users respond with thoughtful comments on the matter.

When it comes to "turning things on you," I did think it was a little odd for you to say cuts talk was unhealthy because it is too highly speculative, and then turn around to suggest other topics of discussion which are just as speculative. That I did aim to point out, but that should not be mistaken for a personal attack or a discouragement of participation, which I tried to be clear it was not.

Lastly, I'd like to express that I have no desire of having a beef with you. I derive no pleasure from making you angry or upset. I respond to you often and at length because you say things that I highly disagree with and am motivated to contest, but at no point should it become personal or malicious.

--
--

As for the rest:

This is a 2018 take and should have died when Seph came out. The rights for FF content is byzantine and we know that Sephiroth negotiations were in place for a long time. Did Square hold back some content like Spirits? Potentially sure. But the myth that Cloud was this hurdle to keep in only really spawned in 2018 when FF7 had the lack of content it had in the base game. Negotiations take time, and we know that before the game even came out Hero and Sephiroth were in negotiation talks. Cloud absolutely was not the hurdle to get into Ultimate. If anything, getting him into 4 on shorter notice was the hurdle that had to be overcome.
If Cloud wasn't negotiated for Ultimate at the same time he was negotiated for 4, then it would again be short notice to get into Ult's base (although it could conceivably be easier having already completed the negotiations for 4). To my knowledge there hasn't been a statement on that either way.

I also acknowledge the possibility that the lack of music and auxiliary FF content is not an indicator of having difficulty negotiating for Cloud.

And any third party is quite an effort to bring in, with some people speculating that Cloud could have been even more difficult than usual (but yeah, it's not outright confirmed).

For starters, you are equating the work that needs to be done for a newcomer with that of a vet when that is almost never the case.
No, I'm not. I've acknowledged several times that a cut character does not necessarily mean a one-for-one exchange with a potential other character. I also said that it's hard to pin down exactly what the gains would be from cutting characters, but I'll say again that all characters take a ton of work, in which case the time/resources saved from not including someone would be impactful.

With a veteran, all the conceptual design has been done. There are animations to use as an example from their previous installment. They do not have to workshop them nearly to the same extent as they do for a newcomer. If you want an example of how the process works, look at how Sakurai and his team have designed newcomers in the past. They do research on the characters to attempt to come up with a creative and fitting moveset. They get motion dolls to display how he thinks an animation will go and figures of the characters to illustrate how that works. While there are shortcuts that are taken, such as using an existing character as a base instead of building them hard from the ground up, it still is a long process to make the accurate model, animate it, balance it, and so on. The process of making a new character furthermore gets more complex as time goes on because the development team has increasingly tried to make more complex characters. Plenty of characters both in Smash 4 and Ultimate's base game and their respective DLC seasons had a gimmick. Some of these gimmicks were more visual, such as Wii Fit's Yoga poses or Corrin's transformations. Others are gameplay focused like K Rool's armor, Hero's MP, Little Mac's KO Punch, Steve's Mining, or Cloud's Limit.
Now, a lot of this argument is diminished by what I said above, but I also think you are overstating how much easier it is to create a vet in a ground-up game. We don't really have hard statements afaik on the difference in work between creating vets and newcomers, but perhaps the most effective evidence I can give here is the content of Ultimate itself: the public statements are very clear that bringing all the vets back was a ton of work.

When Ult was first announced, I was on the other side of this, being optimistic about the number of newcomers and saying that the vets must not have taken that much time due to reusing assets and concepts from 4. But after seeing the final game I began to feel like that was not actually accurate.

Speaking in hypotheticals and fear mongering that it can be an issue in the future is not really that much of a solid argument.
There are some hypotheticals, but I've also tried to emphasize how Ult was a special circumstance produced in part by the quirks of the Wii-U-to-Switch transition and is unlikely to happen again.

My goal is not "fear mongering." If anything I'm trying to tell people that they shouldn't be afraid of certain cuts because some of them could be for the best.

You cant really pin a number on how many characters we would have gotten if EiH did not happen, but I think that it is a unique situation that does not really have too much bearing on the next Smash
If characters were low priority in the past, then there is a good argument that they're liable to be low priority again. Trying to assess which characters would normally be low priority but weren't due to EiH is applicable, since EiH is the thing likely/possible to not be in place anymore.

And yet you ignore patterns almost exclusively when you discuss cuts. Cuts in Smash have been the exception, not the norm. Brawl's cuts to Smash 4 can easily be explained by either the vets being lower priority, techinical issues due to the 3DS version, or Konami in the early 2010s being an absolute dumpster fire that almost pulled out of the gaming industry as a whole. Melee to Brawls cuts were done for time constraints at least for Mewtwo, Roy, and Doctor Mario. Yet we have people that still argue that characters should be cut to free up development time. The pattern for cuts is that there are very few cuts and the devs do put a strong emphasis on keeping vets in.
I have acknowledged those patterns (and expressed displeasure with them), not ignored them. As the roster gets bigger, its sustainability gets more questionable and we get more discussion of more frequent cuts. I agree that the devs put a strong emphasis on keeping vets in. I just don't like how strong that emphasis has been, and I also see likely circumstances where the emphasis could weaken (not as much as I'd probably like, but weakened to an extent).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

While the franchise's involvement came moreso from DLC, I do think the lack of a Tetris stage is still something that is a little sad. I know Tetris is a third party franchise but I think everyone can agree that Tetris would work extremely well as this 75M or Mario Bros style stage as a retro throwback. Imagine throwing an opponent under a falling block as they get crushed. It is just such an iconic game that imo easily could fit as a stage that as a piece of Nintendo history I wish was represented with more than a few spirits and songs.

Outside of Tetris, the only other stages I find tantalizing that we sadly missed were something from Tropical Freeze and Sonic Mania. The idea of doing something with Frozen Fruits or Studiopolis Zone is so interesting to me. Both of those imo you could have made a very visually distinct fun stage out of. It also would have meant more music from those games maybe so I would be extra happy.

I am happy though that Ultimate brought back almost all the stages in the series. Yes, I wish we got Rainbow Road, Pac Maze, and Poke Floats, but we brought so many stages back and remastered them in modern graphics. Seeing old favorites like Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Great Bay, Gerudo Valley, or Prism Tower in HD was a delight. Heck, its worth it to me just do to so many beautiful omega and battlefield forms. Fourside, Kongo Falls, Summit, Shadow Moses, and Arena Ferox are some of my favorites.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm still mad to not see a stage of Alola, easy one of the most cool-looking regions full of fun places like the Aether Base, the Team Skull city, any of the places of the trials, etc. Same thing for Kirby, I REALLY REALLY wanted to see Divine Terminus.

Also they added a ****ton of new Mega Man music but why there isn't another place to listen them?, specially since Willy Castle is quite ass imo.
To be fair, there aren't many actual locations you could make into a stage from the Megaman franchise without leaving the classic series. Which is what Smash mainly focuses on. And Wily castle is in every classic era game so it was the best choice.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
To be fair, there aren't many actual locations you could make into a stage from the Megaman franchise without leaving the classic series. Which is what Smash mainly focuses on. And Wily castle is in every classic era game so it was the best choice.
True but thats not a reason for why make the stage so bad. When you have hazards on is a pain in the ass because Yellow Devil and when the hazards are off is just a plain scenario with the castle in the background.

If they wanted to do a stage of Wily Castle they should have do it INSIDE THE WILY CASTLE!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
True but thats not a reason for why make the stage so bad. When you have hazards on is a pain in the ass because Yellow Devil and when the hazards are off is just a plain scenario with the castle in the background.

If they wanted to do a stage of Wily Castle they should have do it INSIDE THE WILY CASTLE!
Yeah that's fair, should of made it a traveling stage, so it reflects how in the games Megaman has to go through separate areas while climbing the castle.

AlRex

Smash Lord
The decade one
70's: Space Invaders
80's: Carmen Sandiego
90's: Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
2000's: CJ (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas)
2010's: Octane (Rocket League)
2020's: Lady Dimitrescu (Resident Evil Village)
This is just how I feel right now, I like too much to ever fully be decisive. But I apparently like cocky women in giant hats, cars being involved in some way, violence, and the Space Invaders are an outlier to those factors, sort of.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
While the franchise's involvement came moreso from DLC, I do think the lack of a Tetris stage is still something that is a little sad. I know Tetris is a third party franchise but I think everyone can agree that Tetris would work extremely well as this 75M or Mario Bros style stage as a retro throwback. Imagine throwing an opponent under a falling block as they get crushed. It is just such an iconic game that imo easily could fit as a stage that as a piece of Nintendo history I wish was represented with more than a few spirits and songs.
Personally, instead of a retro Tetris stage, I want a Tetris Effect stage. Blow me away with all the pretty special effects and the music that reacts to what the fighters are doing, please.

If they give it multiple different backgrounds depending on what music is playing, Effect does have an unlockable GB Tetris background, so it can still include the retro representation.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Gonna do that too

70's: Space Invaders (Just because I don't really care that much of a character of that era, but it's the only plausible option I can think)
80's: Alis (Phantasy Star) (Similar to above, there are better options in the series but I work with what I have)
90's: Doom Slayer (DOOM)
2000's: Dante (Devil May Cry)
2010's: Aoko Aozaki (Mahou Tsukai No Yoru) (technically she appeared waaaaaaaaaaay before, it was the first story of Nasu, but the official release of the story has a VN was in 2012)

silenthunder

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
0490-6839-9144
80's: Ms. Pacman
90's: Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)
2000's: Phoenix Wright
2010's: Lightning (Final Fantasy)
2020's: Ana Spelunky

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hmm characters per decade you say, let's see

80s: toad
00s: chibi-robo
10s: rex
20s: hisuan zoroark
not so hard
90s: tails. no bandana dee. no quilava. no xatu. no skull kid. no tingle. no happy mask man AAAAAH!

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well, let's see my list:

70's: I know Space Invaders is probably the easiest pick due to actual sprites and whatnot, but The Oregon Trail is rather tempting.
80's: Geez, that's a tough one, what with Phantasy Star, Contra, Bomberman, Ninja Gaiden, Ys, Bubble Bobble and Dragon's Lair....Alis Landale is probably the one I'm leaning to the most.
90's: Crash Bandicoot
2000's: Ray 01. I know, plenty of popular 3rd parties to go for, but I can actually see them getting in without much issue, whereas Custom Robo has next to no chance.
2010's: Chosen Undead
2020's: Raven Beak

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
  • 80’s: Arthur (Ghosts n’ Goblins)
  • 90’s: Jill Valentine and/or Leon S. Kennedy (Resident Evil)
  • 00’s: Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  • 10’s: Wilson (Don’t Starve) or Shovel Knight and yes, I know this is a weird one.
  • 20’s: Zagreus (Hades)
Yes, I do love Capcom, thank you for noticing. Although I might swap out Arthur for the Dragon Quest Slime I were convinced they’d have a good move set.

After the 2000’s it became hard to think of really iconic game characters that I’d be excited to see, which probably says more about my tastes than the industry.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I got a question I want to ask all you.

Would any of you be hyped for a Dynasty Warriors character? I've been playing Musou games recently nonstop and I think it would make for a great addition to Smash for a couple reasons:
  • The historical value. Dynasty Warriors started out as a weapons fighter, but DW2 is the game that set the formula for future Musou games with its gameplay focusing on traveling through a huge stage while wiping out hundreds of enemies using flashy combos and special attacks. It effectively created its own subgenre in the hack n slash world.
  • Moveset: The Dynasty Warriors games offer a variety of extremely cool and unique weapons to choose from that any character can wield (depending on the game). In Dynasty Warriors 8 alone, there are spears, pikes, halberds, maces, giant axes, curved swords, tridents, chain whips, etc. In addition in certain games you are able to apply elemental effects to weapons, such as fire, ice which can slow down enemies, and an electric element which has a chance of striking the enemies with lightning. The gameplay of DW would also transition over to Smash smoothly I feel. The series likes to emphasize combos that keeps your enemies juggled in the air. The exact nature of these combos would vary depending on who the rep is. For example if they went with Lu Bu, he is known for his long staff that he uses for wide, sweeping attacks and is generally infamous in the games for being foreboding to fight against.
Now I know some of you will say "Dynasty Warriors isn't happening because it's full of real people". But that may not actually be an issue. See, the characters in DW are exaggerated versions of their counterparts in the book, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. And even then, that novel takes its own liberties with the characters since this is ancient China we are talking about. We don't know exactly how these people were like back then. So when you consider that the Dynasty Warriors cast has been modified so much from their source, they are borderline original characters. So I do think a rep can happen, though I'm not sure they'd be more prioritized over someone like Hayabusa who is more requested.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I got a question I want to ask all you.

Would any of you be hyped for a Dynasty Warriors character? I've been playing Musou games recently nonstop and I think it would make for a great addition to Smash for a couple reasons:
  • The historical value. Dynasty Warriors started out as a weapons fighter, but DW2 is the game that set the formula for future Musou games with its gameplay focusing on traveling through a huge stage while wiping out hundreds of enemies using flashy combos and special attacks. It effectively created its own subgenre in the hack n slash world.
  • Moveset: The Dynasty Warriors games offer a variety of extremely cool and unique weapons to choose from that any character can wield (depending on the game). In Dynasty Warriors 8 alone, there are spears, pikes, halberds, maces, giant axes, curved swords, tridents, chain whips, etc. In addition in certain games you are able to apply elemental effects to weapons, such as fire, ice which can slow down enemies, and an electric element which has a chance of striking the enemies with lightning. The gameplay of DW would also transition over to Smash smoothly I feel. The series likes to emphasize combos that keeps your enemies juggled in the air. The exact nature of these combos would vary depending on who the rep is. For example if they went with Lu Bu, he is known for his long staff that he uses for wide, sweeping attacks and is generally infamous in the games for being foreboding to fight against.
Now I know some of you will say "Dynasty Warriors isn't happening because it's full of real people". But that may not actually be an issue. See, the characters in DW are exaggerated versions of their counterparts in the book, Romance of the Three Kingdoms. And even then, that novel takes its own liberties with the characters since this is ancient China we are talking about. We don't know exactly how these people were like back then. So when you consider that the Dynasty Warriors cast has been modified so much from their source, they are borderline original characters. So I do think a rep can happen, though I'm not sure they'd be more prioritized over someone like Hayabusa who is more requested.
I’d be hyped. I mean I’m more of a Samurai Warriors fan myself and would prefer Hayabusa over both and all of Koei-Tecmo but I won’t lie that Lu Bu would be dope.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
If Ninja Gaiden guy gets into Smash who do you think speculators will clamor to next with regards to Koei-Tecmo's potential candidates? Would it be safe to assume that Kasumi girl from DOA would be it? Are there any other "realistic" contenders from DOA besides her?

I would wonder the same for SNK but I think (or at least hope) it'll be a Metal Slug hero situation. I also wonder how well that male/female skeleton sharing a moveset functions in practice. I know it's not the same smooth sailing that echoes are but I can't imagine it being that much more difficult. I want the same philosophy to be applied to a potential future representation of the Resident Evil franchise. Also getting Coco (though I have my doubts about how well that'd work... I think she'd need to at least be a semiclone in order for her to properly fit into the game functionally and aesthetically) with Crash would be amazing only one degree less better than getting Spyro in a double reveal with him. Getting that whole package (Crash, Coco, Spyro) would be ****ing immense though but I dare not dream that wildly.

One more random unrelated sentence but I think one of the biggest disappointments in Ultimate's cycle (besides Byleth spoiling FP1's new franchise/3rd party streak) was not getting a unique moveset courtesy of Capcom. Ken's more of a semiclone than an echo but still...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would Chun-Li, Tifa, Lara Croft, and Jill Valentine be good fits for Smash?
Probably. Shamefully the way Smash is going since Ultimate I see them as more likely than iconic Nintendo created female characters as Dixie, Impa and Pauline.

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
If Ninja Gaiden guy gets into Smash who do you think speculators will clamor to next with regards to Koei-Tecmo's potential candidates? Would it be safe to assume that Kasumi girl from DOA would be it? Are there any other "realistic" contenders from DOA besides her?
Yeah, after Ryu Hayabusa, I can picture Kasumi being the next possible Koei Tecmo rep.

I would wonder the same for SNK but I think (or at least hope) it'll be a Metal Slug hero situation.
I think Athena, the intended SNK mascot, also has a good chance.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Probably. Shamefully the way Smash is going since Ultimate I see them as more likely than iconic Nintendo created female characters as Dixie, Impa and Pauline.
Tbh although Pauline is iconic because of her being in the first Donkey Kong I don’t know if I’d put her up there with Dixie and impa for up next nintendo female fighters

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just don't really know what you can do with Pauline that makes for a compelling fighter concept (yes, even after Sakurai made WFT, Villager, etc. work). She's just a regular singer woman with no special abilities or combat prowess.

Pairing her up with Cappy is stupid because unlike Rosalina and the Lumas, there are zero thematic connections between the two outside of just sharing the same game together. Also giving her a moveset based on minis is dumb because, let's be real here, the main reason anyone cares about Pauline is because of Donkey Kong and Mario Odyssey, and I just don't see them glorifying something as minor as Mario vs. DK with an entire Smash moveset.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just don't really know what you can do with Pauline that makes a compelling fighter concept (yes, even after Sakurai made WFT, Villager, etc. work). She's just a regular singer woman with no special abilities or combat prowess.

Pairing her up with Cappy is stupid because unlike Rosalina and the Lumas, there are zero thematic connections between the two outside of just sharing the same game. Also giving her a moveset based on minis is dumb because, let's be real here, the main reason anyone cares about Pauline is because of Donkey Kong and Mario Odyssey, and I just don't see them glorifying something as minor as Mario vs. DK with an entire Smash moveset.
she could always beat people up with her bands instruments

dream1ng

Smash Lord

I would wonder the same for SNK but I think (or at least hope) it'll be a Metal Slug hero situation. I also wonder how well that male/female skeleton sharing a moveset functions in practice. I know it's not the same smooth sailing that echoes are but I can't imagine it being that much more difficult. I want the same philosophy to be applied to a potential future representation of the Resident Evil franchise. Also getting Coco (though I have my doubts about how well that'd work... I think she'd need to at least be a semiclone in order for her to properly fit into the game functionally and aesthetically) with Crash would be amazing only one degree less better than getting Spyro in a double reveal with him. Getting that whole package (Crash, Coco, Spyro) would be ****ing immense though but I dare not dream that wildly.

One more random unrelated sentence but I think one of the biggest disappointments in Ultimate's cycle (besides Byleth spoiling FP1's new franchise/3rd party streak) was not getting a unique moveset courtesy of Capcom. Ken's more of a semiclone than an echo but still...
I think characters are clamored for more due to who they are versus from which company they hail. Meaning that one company, like Capcom, has a wealth of characters such that there will not be an absence of requests from under that banner any time soon, but another company, such as SNK, doesn't offer as many realistic additions, so you don't see that many requests for another character. Or if you do, it's more to fill a quota of "next SNK rep".

It's not like getting one character would automatically make another, separate, little-discussed character popular just because they're from the same company. Popularity disseminates that way more within existing series than within entire companies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just don't really know what you can do with Pauline that makes for a compelling fighter concept (yes, even after Sakurai made WFT, Villager, etc. work). She's just a regular singer woman with no special abilities or combat prowess.

Pairing her up with Cappy is stupid because unlike Rosalina and the Lumas, there are zero thematic connections between the two outside of just sharing the same game together. Also giving her a moveset based on minis is dumb because, let's be real here, the main reason anyone cares about Pauline is because of Donkey Kong and Mario Odyssey, and I just don't see them glorifying something as minor as Mario vs. DK with an entire Smash moveset.
Honestly I'd go as far as saying people on a wide scale don't even remember her for being in the original Donkey Kong. By and large most people just assume it was a prototype design of Princess Peach the same way Jumpman was for Mario, despite Pauline being a separate character.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Pauline’s core moveset potential seems to lie in the Venn diagram of New Donk City as it appears in Odyssey and the original Donkey Kong arcade game, but the two don’t seem to share any overlapping elements beyond visuals if I recall correctly. I’m interested to see what sort of moveset the whole “getting the band back together” thing could yield, but that‘s going into gimmick territory.

This is not saying that a Pauline moveset can’t be done. Pac-Man coasts on arcade visuals and Pauline definitely has that between the arcade game and the metropolis named designed after it.

Top Bottom