• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you guys think EMMI could be made to work as a playable character?

I want to start out by saying that I’m currently playing through the game and haven’t completed it yet. I’m about 10 hours into the game so I feel like I’m getting close at least.

First off, I think Raven Beak is probably the obvious choice when most people think of a Metroid Dread rep for Smash 6. He is the main antagonist and, based on my fights with his Chozo warriors so far, likely has a lot of direct source material to pull from for a moveset. I haven’t actually gotten that far in the game yet so I’m just making an assumption on that one.

However, most of the marketing went to EMMI over Raven Beak. We’ve seen EMMI featured in pretty much every piece of promotional material for the game and it even has its own Amiibo. The problem is, up to the point I’m at at least, it doesn’t actually do much fighting other than chase Samus and one shot her. Still, Sakurai has made Smash movesets for characters like Captain Falcon, Fox, Villager, and Piranha Plant so I think he could probably make it work.

What do you guys think? Would you be fine with Sakurai taking some creative liberties to flesh out EMMI’s moveset or would you prefer they stuck with Raven Beak who likely has a much more complete moveset already? I personally like the idea of EMMI partially because it is more recognizable but partially because I just prefer it’s design. Still, both are cool and I’d be happy with either character. I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I want to start out by saying that I’m currently playing through the game and haven’t completed it yet. I’m about 10 hours into the game so I feel like I’m getting close at least.

First off, I think Raven Beak is probably the obvious choice when most people think of a Metroid Dread rep for Smash 6. He is the main antagonist and, based on my fights with his Chozo warriors so far, likely has a lot of direct source material to pull from for a moveset. I haven’t actually gotten that far in the game yet so I’m just making an assumption on that one.

However, most of the marketing went to EMMI over Raven Beak. We’ve seen EMMI featured in pretty much every piece of promotional material for the game and it even has its own Amiibo. The problem is, up to the point I’m at at least, it doesn’t actually do much fighting other than chase Samus and one shot her. Still, Sakurai has made Smash movesets for characters like Captain Falcon, Fox, Villager, and Piranha Plant so I think he could probably make it work.

What do you guys think? Would you be fine with Sakurai taking some creative liberties to flesh out EMMI’s moveset or would you prefer they stuck with Raven Beak who likely has a much more complete moveset already? I personally like the idea of EMMI partially because it is more recognizable but partially because I just prefer it’s design. Still, both are cool and I’d be happy with either character. I’d love to hear your thoughts.
I think Raven Beak is likely the fighter candidate with his stage having a hazard of EMMI random showing up and harassing players for a few seconds but I could see EMMI as a fighter also.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Raven Beak is likely the fighter candidate with his stage having a hazard of EMMI random showing up and harassing players for a few seconds but I could see EMMI as a fighter also.
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Just the thought of being able to control a character like EMMI who can crawl up walls and ceilings sounds so cool and unique for a fighter though. It’s movement options alone make me excited for its potential despite not actually having any attacks lol.

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean, yeah, any character can be made to work as playable imo.
Though personally I find EMMI to be more Assist Trophy material. I agree that EMMI are very recognizable when it comes to Metroid Dread, but I guess Raven Beak exudes that playable potential more. As for Metroid reps in general, I kinda wanna wait until MP4 comes out and then deduct who I see most likely, should we even get more.

Do people still want Laboman in smash? I haven’t heard anyone talk about him in years
Have you heard anyone talk about Labo in general in years? Sadly it's kinda faded into obscurity, unless Game Builder Garage is considered part of it.
I'm a sucker for quirky characters like that who also represent some of Nintendo's history so I'd give a warm welcome to Laboman, sure.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I personally don’t care much about rules for who can get in and who can’t. As long as I can play as characters I like, that’s cool with me. Smash was originally supposed to just be Nintendo characters and they’ve already expanded from that in Brawl so I wouldn’t have any issue with opening the floodgates completely at this point.
And that's where I gotta disagree with you. It may've started out as some silly Nintendo cross-over that eventually expanded to third parties, but it's also taken on an identity of being a major gaming event (gaming being the key word there). That said, it's nice to think that Smash, while often proving that nothing is set in stone when it comes to roster choices, still has some sort of established boundaries. Without such boundaries, I could only see Smash turning into an absolute mess..... I mean, think of the expectations that currently exist for Smash, both the ones that've already been met and the ones currently in demand, and then imagine those expectations exploding a thousand-fold, with Nintendo running itself ragged in a cesspool of licensing deals only to come out with what could be, at best, described as a glorified MUGEN mod. Restrictions actually can be a good thing, and in a similar vein, I'm sure there's a reason why it's typically "Capcom vs. (one company)" as opposed to "Capcom vs. literally everything".

I like that Smash is a melting pot of gaming. So I wouldn't react enthusiastically to any fourth-party character. But depending on who the character was, I suppose my reaction would range from begrudging acceptance to active resentment.

It would boil down to how much that addition seemed to mesh with the cast. And I know some people find a character "sticking out" as part of the charm, but I don't.
Pretty much this. There were some inclusions I was not too excited with, but it never caused me to rage-quit Smash entirely, or even to disavow and refuse to play with the characters in question, and I'd probably feel the same way about a non-game character. If it were to actually happen, begrudging acceptance would pretty much be my reaction.

Though I kinda agree with some people's choices for Popeye. If we were to get a non-game character, it'd be nice if they at least had deep ties to Nintendo. Others I'd be kinda okay with would be real people working at Nintendo (such as Sakurai or the late Iwata, outside of Miis), Ken Griffey Jr., or original characters from non-game adaptations of Nintendo IPs (ex. Roam from Shotaro Ishinomori's Zelda comic). And yes, I suppose Goku is noteworthy for his sheer number of game appearances (hell, by this point, I'd say that there were more periods overall where the games had higher relevence than the anime).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
And that's where I gotta disagree with you. It may've started out as some silly Nintendo cross-over that eventually expanded to third parties, but it's also taken on an identity of being a major gaming event (gaming being the key word there). That said, it's nice to think that Smash, while often proving that nothing is set in stone when it comes to roster choices, still has some sort of established boundaries. Without such boundaries, I could only see Smash turning into an absolute mess..... I mean, think of the expectations that currently exist for Smash, both the ones that've already been met and the ones currently in demand, and then imagine those expectations exploding a thousand-fold, with Nintendo running itself ragged in a cesspool of licensing deals only to come out with what could be, at best, described as a glorified MUGEN mod. Restrictions actually can be a good thing, and in a similar vein, I'm sure there's a reason why it's typically "Capcom vs. (one company)" as opposed to "Capcom vs. literally everything".

Pretty much this. There were some inclusions I was not too excited with, but it never caused me to rage-quit Smash entirely, or even to disavow and refuse to play with the characters in question. If it were to actually happen, begrudging acceptance would pretty much be my reaction.

Though I kinda agree with some people's choices for Popeye. If we were to get a non-game character, it'd be nice if they at least had deep ties to Nintendo. Others I'd be kinda okay with would be real people working at Nintendo (such as Sakurai or the late Iwata, outside of Miis), Ken Griffey Jr., or original characters from non-game adaptations of Nintendo IPs (ex. Roam from Shotaro Ishinomori's Zelda comic). And yes, I suppose Goku is noteworthy for his sheer number of game appearances (hell, by this point, I'd say that there were more periods overall where the games had higher relevence than the anime).
Yeah, I certainly don’t have any problems with how Smash is now. Limiting the roster to just game characters makes sense. I’m just also completely fine either way. I play Smash to play as characters I like. I don’t particularly care what media they originated from. Ichigo Vs. Cloud sounds pretty cool in my book. Same goes for Predator or Boba Fett Vs. Samus. I’m used to modding Brawl anyways so crazy matchups with non video game characters are pretty normal to me but I can totally understand why people wouldn’t want to mix the two.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Ehh, as you said Raven Beak seems like the obvious rep. Others have also pointed to MP4 and the fact EMMI could easily be an assist trophy. For me though, I kinda don’t know if we need another Metroid rep at all. Sure, Raven Beak would be cool, but due to the nature of the Metroid series we have the main recurring characters that are fighter feasible. Maybe after Prime 4 comes out I will sing a different tune and talk about Sylux. For me at least, it would feel weird stepping down from getting the most recurring Metroid character besides samus and the main antagonist of the prime trilogy to a one time enemy or the antagonist of one game.

—————————

So the other day I was talking to some people, and we discussed the concept of League of Legends in Smash. Full disclosure, not a fan of LoL. My LoL enjoyment starts and ends at Arcane. But honestly, I would bet on LoL making it into the next smash.

LoL is huge. It has more active players that Britain, France, and Spain have as people. It honestly is going through a rebirth with TFT, Wild Rift, Runeterra, and Arcane. There are tons of other projects as well in the works for League. League is certainly not going away anytime soon. It also has a massive foothold in the East, notably China and South Korea, markets Nintendo wants to expand into. Heck, Nintendo and Tencent, the company that owns Riot, are very chummy. They are working on Pokémon Unite together after all. So you have this juggernaut franchise that is only growing with their parent company having a solid relationship with Nintendo. To me, this seems honestly like something to keep an eye on, even if I personally don’t want it.

If you had to ask me who they would choose, gun to my head Jinx. Idc much of league and don’t know all the champions, but Jinx always has been one of the more iconic ones and a fan favorite. After Wild Rift and Arcane I would say she’s one of the most iconic champions. You could easily also give her a super unique moveset which is nice. I know we talked about female representation in smash the other day and she honestly wouldn’t be a terrible choice.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Ehh, as you said Raven Beak seems like the obvious rep. Others have also pointed to MP4 and the fact EMMI could easily be an assist trophy. For me though, I kinda don’t know if we need another Metroid rep at all. Sure, Raven Beak would be cool, but due to the nature of the Metroid series we have the main recurring characters that are fighter feasible. Maybe after Prime 4 comes out I will sing a different tune and talk about Sylux. For me at least, it would feel weird stepping down from getting the most recurring Metroid character besides samus and the main antagonist of the prime trilogy to a one time enemy or the antagonist of one game.

—————————

So the other day I was talking to some people, and we discussed the concept of League of Legends in Smash. Full disclosure, not a fan of LoL. My LoL enjoyment starts and ends at Arcane. But honestly, I would bet on LoL making it into the next smash.

LoL is huge. It has more active players that Britain, France, and Spain have as people. It honestly is going through a rebirth with TFT, Wild Rift, Runeterra, and Arcane. There are tons of other projects as well in the works for League. League is certainly not going away anytime soon. It also has a massive foothold in the East, notably China and South Korea, markets Nintendo wants to expand into. Heck, Nintendo and Tencent, the company that owns Riot, are very chummy. They are working on Pokémon Unite together after all. So you have this juggernaut franchise that is only growing with their parent company having a solid relationship with Nintendo. To me, this seems honestly like something to keep an eye on, even if I personally don’t want it.

If you had to ask me who they would choose, gun to my head Jinx. Idc much of league and don’t know all the champions, but Jinx always has been one of the more iconic ones and a fan favorite. After Wild Rift and Arcane I would say she’s one of the most iconic champions. You could easily also give her a super unique moveset which is nice. I know we talked about female representation in smash the other day and she honestly wouldn’t be a terrible choice.
I’m terrible at competitive online games like LoL so I never really had any interest in playing it but I really love a lot of the character designs in that game. Some of them, like Cho’Gath are blatant copies of other characters (namely Vertebreaker from Spawn)

1648816255358.jpeg
1648816487957.jpeg

Still, I love Spawn so they chose a good character to copy at least lol. My favorites are Kha’Zix and Nocturne visually but almost all of the designs are great. I’d be happy with a LoL character. I would prefer we got a StarCraft or WarCraft character first though.

I’ve been wanting to try out that Arcane show. Is there a free and legal way I can watch it? That would be a great way to familiarize myself with the characters beyond just their appearance.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Does anyone else actually want Silver & Blaze to join "The Reeeal :sonic:.!" in SSB6?
Silver & Blaze.jpg

Or would they rather have Shadow & Tails? I could go either way to be honest.
ShadowAT.jpg
3369.png

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel if Sakurai made a Smash-esque spinoff game that was more of a “Nintendo Vs.” that just focused on Nintendo and one other company like the “Capcom Vs.” games? It wouldn’t replace the Smash we have but it could be a fun alternative to keep the main series from getting out of hand too quickly and give it more space. The main company I’d love to see this idea with is Microsoft. Nintendo and Microsoft are on good terms and both have amazing rosters to pull from. It would also be great to pit two console manufacturers against each other. They could even dual release the game on the Switch 2 and the X-Box if negotiations could be worked out.

Does anyone else actually want Silver & Blaze to join "The Reeeal :sonic:.!" in SSB6?
View attachment 349071
Or would they rather have Shadow & Tails? I could go either way to be honest.
View attachment 349070View attachment 349072
I’d personally go with either Dr. Eggman, Tails, or Knuckles due to them being iconic characters that have been around since the Genesis but are also heavily featured in the latest movie. My favorite of the three is Knuckles but Eggman would probably be the most unique moveset wise.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
How would you guys feel if Sakurai made a Smash-esque spinoff game that was more of a “Nintendo Vs.” that just focused on Nintendo and one other company like the “Capcom Vs.” games? It wouldn’t replace the Smash we have but it could be a fun alternative to keep the main series from getting out of hand too quickly and give it more space. The main company I’d love to see this idea with is Microsoft. Nintendo and Microsoft are on good terms and both have amazing rosters to pull from. It would also be great to pit two console manufacturers against each other. They could even dual release the game on the Switch 2 and the X-Box if negotiations could be worked out.
Well, I had a really stupid idea recently. Bare with me on this: Marvel vs. Nintendo.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well, I had a really stupid idea recently. Bare with me on this: Marvel vs. Nintendo.
I’d be down for that. I love Marvel characters. They could even expand that and go Disney Vs. Nintendo and include Marvel, Star Wars, and other properties.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
I don't know. That kind of seems awkward to me. To go from a game with characters from different companies to a game with characters from just two companies? And with a company that already has characters in Smash? I don't know if I'll be as hyped for that. I'd probably accept it if the other side is a company that doesn't have any characters already in the roster at all, though.

My idea of a spinoff would be something like a platformer with the Smash Bros characters. Like an official Super Mario Bros. Crossover game with the characters.

Either that or a Smash Warriors game by Koei Tecmo. The series already has Zelda, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and Persona characters in it. Nintendo has even expressed interest in a Mario Warriors game too (I REALLY want to see that).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't know. That kind of seems awkward to me. To go from a game with characters from different companies to a game with characters from just two companies? And with a company that already has characters in Smash? I don't know if I'll be as hyped for that. I'd probably accept it if the other side is a company that doesn't have any characters already in the roster at all, though.

My idea of a spinoff would be something like a platformer with the Smash Bros characters. Like an official Super Mario Bros. Crossover game with the characters.

Either that or a Smash Warriors game by Koei Tecmo. The series already has Zelda, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest, and Persona characters in it. Nintendo has even expressed interest in a Mario Warriors game too (I REALLY want to see that).
A Smash Warriors game would be awesome! I love the Warriors series and I’ve really enjoyed the spin-offs they’ve done so far with Nintendo so far.

A platformer seems really fun too. I’m one of the few people that really enjoyed Subspace Emissary in Brawl. If they could make a dedicated game that greatly expanded on that and fixed all the issues that people had, I think it has the potential to be one of my favorite games ever. I’d love to see more worlds and enemies from existing games rather than just made up for the mode.

I think the reason my mind keeps going to a Microsoft crossover is because there are so many Microsoft characters I want to see in Smash that it’s the only realistic way to get them all in lol. I love both RARE and Blizzard’s characters so much, particularly the Battletoads, Killer Instinct, WarCraft, and StarCraft that it would be awesome to see them all get into Smash. More popular characters like Crash, Doom Slayer, and Master Chief would be cool too but I feel like they push a lot of my favorites out. You’re right thought that I would really miss a lot of my current favorites like Sephiroth and Joker if they went that route. I suppose I can always hope that Microsoft eventually makes their own Smash like game and it turns out better than PSA:BR. They at least have a much better potential roster than that game ended up with.

Last edited:

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I could see that working. Nintendo did publish Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, after all (as an aside, considering the first two games haven't been around since the Wii, and Japan didn't even get Ultimate Alliance 2, this is another series I wish they could've pulled a Bayonetta-style re-release for, along with Fatal Frame and the Xeno meta-series).

A Smash Warriors game would be awesome! I love the Warriors series and I’ve really enjoyed the spin-offs they’ve done so far with Nintendo so far.

A platformer seems really fun too. I’m one of the few people that really enjoyed Subspace Emissary in Brawl. If they could make a dedicated game that greatly expanded on that and fixed all the issues that people had, I think it has the potential to be one of my favorite games ever. I’d love to see more worlds and enemies from existing games rather than just made up for the mode.
Agreed. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd be totally fine just paying for it as a separate game and/or expansion kit to Ultimate. Incidentally, I recently saw a YouTube video that pointed out how platforming is representative of several Smash characters' home genre, which is true. Granted, platforming also works so well because it's ingrained into Smash's main gameplay, though nevertheless, if we were to represent the gameplay of other home genres, I wonder what could result. Maybe a stand-alone Adventure Mode could be sold as some kind of party pack, letting you use the Ultimate cast (DLC-compatible) in a mixture of different games. We already have a sort of pseudo-RPG with Spirits, so I could see some potential in expanding on that.

Last edited:

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
You just reminded me of this image I saw online a while back of a possible "Nintendo X Sega" Smash roster:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You just reminded me of this image I saw online a while back of a possible "Nintendo X Sega" Smash roster:
That sounds like a fun way to pass the time at least even if they never end up going that route. I’ll try making a Nintendo Vs. Microsoft roster and share it here once I’m done. It’s still Smash related because it is one potential direction Smash 6 could go, even if it isn’t the most likely.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
0/10 no Billy Hatcher.
William is there

Also not particularly a fan of that roster - there's some inspired choices like Harrier and Saki, but much of it feels like the same old same old. Nintendo side's basically Smash But Again and the SEGA side mostly just feels like every SEGA roster I already see, and makes some really ****in boring decisions when there was a much more fun thing that could have been done instead. Very lacking in spice

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Speaking of Saki (VA Dex Manley ( :falco: )), I still wonder why he was kicked out of being an AT. I tried so hard not to get butt hurt, but at the same, I didn't bother w/ making a Mii, Mii Swordfighter, or Gunner, out his costume/wig pieces. XD. I don't know it didn't fit for me/seemed like a waste a' time..
While it all may be for obvious to some Nintendo still removed him for, unexplained reasons.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Saki (VA Dex Manley ( :falco: )), I still wonder why he was kicked out of being an AT. I tried so hard not to get butt hurt, but at the same, I didn't bother w/ making a Mii, Mii Swordfighter, or Gunner, out his costume/wig pieces. XD. I don't know it didn't fit for me/seemed like a waste a' time..
While it all may be for obvious to some Nintendo still removed him for, unexplained reasons.
My only guess is that they only wanted to have so many assist trophies and there were several third party characters that took priority over him. Still, I don’t think it would have been too much to ask to just leave Saki in for fans of Sin and Punishment.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
if the "no non-video game characters" rule gets broken in the next smash game who do you guys want to see and will your top 10 wanted characters be different after that?
I wouldn't want this to happen, but if I had to choose...?

The Hulk
Batman
Superman
Spiderman
Goku
Mickey Mouse
Ninja Turtles
Captain Jack Sparrow
SpongeBob SquarePants

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
Which almost happened in a way, with Link and Samus originally going to appear in one of those Marvel games.

This does reminds me how I sometimes have this urge to write a Smash Bros story that involves another platform fighting game series (like Nickelodeon All-Stars while we're at it). I wonder how that would work.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

The EMMI could work, yes sure. But I think the attention EMMI got over Raven Beak is simply cause Raven Beak is a huuuuuge spoiler. Then again, Smash tends to spoil things. Zelda = Sheik for example, and various trophy descriptions.

I personally quite want Raven Beak, he's a very interesting villain. I dare say, even more interesting than Ridley, but Ridley has seniority obviously. But his ties to Samus and abilities would make him a perfect Smash candidate, if only as a boss of sorts.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
William is there

Also not particularly a fan of that roster - there's some inspired choices like Harrier and Saki, but much of it feels like the same old same old. Nintendo side's basically Smash But Again and the SEGA side mostly just feels like every SEGA roster I already see, and makes some really ****in boring decisions when there was a much more fun thing that could have been done instead. Very lacking in spice
Well now I’m afraid to make a Nintendo Vs. Microsoft roster lol. I’m still going to try because it sounds like a fun idea but I don’t think I’m knowledgeable enough about Microsoft to add a whole lot of spice beyond characters that I personally like and the obvious choices (and even then I’m sure I’ll miss some of those lol).

The EMMI could work, yes sure. But I think the attention EMMI got over Raven Beak is simply cause Raven Beak is a huuuuuge spoiler. Then again, Smash tends to spoil things. Zelda = Sheik for example, and various trophy descriptions.

I personally quite want Raven Beak, he's a very interesting villain. I dare say, even more interesting than Ridley, but Ridley has seniority obviously. But his ties to Samus and abilities would make him a perfect Smash candidate, if only as a boss of sorts.
I still haven’t beaten the game myself yet but I feel like I’m at least getting close. I haven’t actually encountered Raven Beak yet other than the opening scene. Would you say that the spoilery nature of Raven Beak would hurt his chances at all? I suppose that didn’t stop Sheik and Smash did spoil the Black Knight and Gaddot. I’m not sure how much of a spoiler Raven Beak is compared to them (please don’t actually spoil anything).

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Well now I’m afraid to make a Nintendo Vs. Microsoft roster lol. I’m still going to try because it sounds like a fun idea but I don’t think I’m knowledgeable enough about Microsoft to add a whole lot of spice beyond characters that I personally like and the obvious choices (and even then I’m sure I’ll miss some of those lol).
Honestly I know, like, nothing about Microsoft's IP so I wouldn't be able to judge

Ivander

Smash Legend
looks at the Nintendo side 😒

There's a reason I don't like most Nintendo Vs. Company fan rosters. Too much does the Nintendo side have next-to-no characters that aren't already in Smash Bros. I get that Smash Bros. probably has most of their well-known characters, but Smash Bros. should never be the Be-all/End-all for Nintendo rosters.
It's very sad for when I get curious and enthusiastic for what choices people do regarding other companies like Sega, Capcom, etc, but I get nothing but dread and un-enthusiasm when it comes towards what choices people do for Nintendo. Because more than 90% of the time, all but a couple of characters are characters already in Smash Bros. It just feels very unoriginal and uninspired.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
looks at the Nintendo side 😒

There's a reason I don't like most Nintendo Vs. Company fan rosters. Too much does the Nintendo side have next-to-no characters that aren't already in Smash Bros. I get that Smash Bros. probably has most of their well-known characters, but Smash Bros. should never be the Be-all/End-all for Nintendo rosters.
It's very sad for when I get curious and enthusiastic for what choices people do regarding other companies like Sega, Capcom, etc, but I get nothing but dread and un-enthusiasm when it comes towards what choices people do for Nintendo. Because more than 90% of the time, all but a couple of characters are characters already in Smash Bros. It just feels very unoriginal and uninspired.
I’ll keep that in mind while trying to make my roster. A lot of what is in Smash is obvious and would probably have to stay but I’ll try to spice things up a bit more on the Nintendo side instead of just copying Smash completely.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I’ll keep that in mind while trying to make my roster. A lot of what is in Smash is obvious and would probably have to stay but I’ll try to spice things up a bit more on the Nintendo side instead of just copying Smash completely.
Part of what you should think about with a roster isn't just what characters you can simply put in it, but what characters would fit together and what characters would give in terms of fighting style/control.
Like it's one thing to simply put any characters you can think of into a game. It's easy to put characters like Mario, Master Chief, Samus, Dragonborn, etc, together just because you can. It's another thing entirely to put in characters with a plan and idea in mind for those characters. Like why you chose those characters in particular, why you chose the moveset for them, why you chose them to interact with each other, etc.
Like sure, it's easy to get people to feel ecstatic seeing these characters side-by-side, but it's an even grander feeling when you get your audience to feel like these characters can truly fit with each other because of how well they interact with each other, how their movesets fit, etc.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Part of what you should think about with a roster isn't just what characters you can simply put in it, but what characters would fit together and what characters would give in terms of fighting style/control.
Like it's one thing to simply put any characters you can think of into a game. It's easy to put characters like Mario, Master Chief, Samus, Dragonborn, etc, together just because you can. It's another thing entirely to put in characters with a plan and idea in mind for those characters. Like why you chose those characters in particular, why you chose the moveset for them, why you chose them to interact with each other, etc.
Like sure, it's easy to get people to feel ecstatic seeing these characters side-by-side, but it's an even grander feeling when you get your audience to feel like these characters can truly fit with each other because of how well they interact with each other, how their movesets fit, etc.
Yeah, that’s true but it’s also a lot to ask for a random fan roster. I feel like you probably need to be an expert in gaming knowledge to truly do that properly and I only really know enough for a base level “this would be fun”. The only time I’ve ever owned an X-Box was a short time with the 360 in order to play JRPGs when Sony wasn’t interested in the genre.

Still, Microsoft owns both Rare and Blizzard, two companies with characters I grew up loving. They also have a ton of other cool properties like DOOM. I’ll try to keep all of this in mind as well but a lot of my decisions will probably come down to what I’m personally familiar with and I might lean a bit on my favorite franchises. I’ll try to do a bit of research to flesh out the rest but my knowledge on Microsoft as a whole is a bit lacking to be honest. Still, I feel like I know enough to put together a fun roster even if I miss a few important things. I’m just doing this for fun anyway but it’s always good to hear what other people think.

Actually, I did just have a thought that ties my personal preference with a relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft. Rare was an extremely important company for Nintendo during the NES through the N64 so putting more of a focus on them actually makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of history between Rare, Microsoft, and Nintendo that could be emphasized in this game. Beyond that, BLizzard’s characters are bright and colorful and have a ton of unique abilities which fit right in with Nintendo. The same goes with the other Activision properties like Crash and Spyro. Crash has his own history with Nintendo, with Sony positioning him as Mario’s rival during the PS1.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
From the Brawl DOJO, on Saki:

"There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!"

The Saki AT being removed is, unfortunately, likely a product of him not being quite this popular anymore and not being active anymore. But he IS pretty cool still, so it stinks that he was removed.

Really Saki is one of those characters that I can just see fitting into Smash so well, and almost certainly would've become a beloved favorite along the lines of C. Falcon had he made it in during his time.

He still appears on internet fantasy rosters here and there, though, so at least he's not completely forgotten. Plus they do a good job of making S&P available every console generation.

Top Bottom