• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

How does that make it bad? Nothing you're saying makes any sense. (I am honestly not trying to be mean.)
Sigh, Microsoft is a type of guy who demands really expensive stuff.
Microsoft is secretly wanting to take over the whole Gaming by buying huge studios like Zenimax Media or even Blizzard Activision.
(Do you know what I mean)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Whether you're concerned about a video game monopoly or ActiBlizz controversy, this is bad news either way.
Currently. He has to answer to Phil Spencer and he has to stay there until Activision is fully owned by Microsoft. What happens to him afterwards, and considering he's not in the good books of anybody including Microsoft...well, we'll have to wait and see.

That said, besides the possible turnaround that Microsoft can do for Activison-Blizzard, Nintendo can practically have access to a gold mine of characters if they keep good relations with Microsoft. And some more good news, by the time the next Smash comes out, Crash Bandicoot won't have the stigma of Activision's image on him by then.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sigh, Microsoft is a type of guy who demands really expensive stuff.
Microsoft is secretly wanting to take over the whole Gaming by buying huge studios like Zenimax Media or even Blizzard Activision.
(Do you know what I mean)
Well, if they are doing it in secret, they are not doing a very good job.

Microsoft is currently the biggest video game company after Sony and Tencent thanks to this acquisition. Of course, they are not gonna buy Nintendo or anything but it's kinda obvious that they are trying to have the biggest market share possible in the industry.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
"one third party franchise per company in any given series of newcomers" has survived all this time. Will it last forever as well? Or perhaps, it will broken early into next title.
I'd honestly say that's already been broken with both Sephiroth and Sora being in FP2. I know that Sora's legally a Disney character, but Square-Enix has a hand in everything that's done with the character and Kingdom Hearts has so much of Square's iconography baked into it that it feels much more like a Square project than a Disney one. I think if Sakurai was really concerned about spreading the love among multiple third parties, we wouldn't have gotten both Sora and Sephiroth in FP2.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

You ever wonder if Nintendo is waiting for these two to kill each other so they can pick up the scraps?

Gengar84

Smash Hero

Banjo-Kazooie, Steve, Master Chief, Doomguy and Crash all having to compete with each other for a spot in Smash 6
Don’t forget Fulgore, Battletoads, Arthas, Diablo, and Kerrigan. RARE and Blizzard alone have enough awesome characters for a full game before even looking at the rest of Microsoft. That’s one reason I’m open to the idea of a Nintendo Microsoft crossover Smash game.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984

You ever wonder if Nintendo is waiting for these two to kill each other so they can pick up the scraps?
To be fair, Nintendo has a different marketing strategy compared to the other two. Like in the Wii era, their products are usually the most casual, family friendly and affordable of the big companies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, I guess we can cross Activision being hard to work with off of Crash's hurdles for Smash.

Realtalk, next Microsoft rep is between him and Chief, both of them are huge fan favorites and we know Microsoft knows how to play to the crowd. If I had to go the hierarchy of Microsoft Reps...

Chief >= Crash > Doomguy > Tracer > Doomguy > WoW > Spyro (I can dream)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Effectively , Sony and Microsoft won't die out, but their gaming branche might just some day. I feel they're way too dependant on 3rd party developers and their hardware. If say, EA or Activision decided to make game consoles for themselves that would be a huge blow to Sony.

So yeah, Kirby can keep fishing comfortably.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Effectively , Sony and Microsoft won't die out, but their gaming branche might just some day. I feel they're way too dependant on 3rd party developers and their hardware. If say, EA or Activision decided to make game consoles for themselves that would be a huge blow to Sony.

So yeah, Kirby can keep fishing comfortably.
1642529186657.png

I don't think Activision is gonna make a new console anytime soon my guy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And Sans, Castle Crasher, FNF Boyfriend, Impostor, Henry Stickmin and Shovel Knight.
Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White
And Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight
And Benito Mussolini and the Blue Meanie
And Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie
Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader
Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger
Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan
Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan

Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White
And Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight
And Benito Mussolini and the Blue Meanie
And Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie
Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader
Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger
Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan
Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan
All came out of nowhere lightning fast
They kicked Chuck Norris in his cowboy ass
It was the bloodiest battle that the world ever saw
Civilians looking on in total awe
The fight raged on for a century
Many lives were claimed but eventually
The champion stood, the rest saw the better
Mr. Rogers in a bloodstained sweater

You joke, but I wouldn't be surprised if Boyfriend became a big request in the future. The full game isn't even out yet, and it's already solidified itself as a big name indie.
Yup, that's a joke, plus FNF is a very popular game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'd honestly say that's already been broken with both Sephiroth and Sora being in FP2. I know that Sora's legally a Disney character, but Square-Enix has a hand in everything that's done with the character and Kingdom Hearts has so much of Square's iconography baked into it that it feels much more like a Square project than a Disney one. I think if Sakurai was really concerned about spreading the love among multiple third parties, we wouldn't have gotten both Sora and Sephiroth in FP2.
Sora might be a special case due to Disney's involvement and being a last minute addition to FP2. Might. Like I can't imagine them pre-planning catering to both Crash fans and Doomguy fans with fighters within the same same dev cycle now.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I honestly don’t think the one character per company rule has to exist. If a character is important or interesting enough, I don’t really care what company owns them. Microsoft alone has more than enough characters to easily fill two whole Fighter’s passes. I don’t get why people get so hung up on who currently owns the IP.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know the odd thing about Microsoft getting Activision-Blizzard? Microsoft can practically make a crossover with a good amount of mascot/cartoony characters without any realistic-looking characters. Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Skylanders, Cuphead, Ori, Psychonauts, Battletoads, Viva Pinata, the Vault Boy from Fallout, Murky the Murloc from Warcraft. Pachimari from Overwatch, Commander Keen, Clippy. Just imagine with the more realistic-looking characters.
---
Phil Spencer: "We can't do a Microsoft crossover like Smash Bros as we hardly have any interesting 1st party characters compared to Nintendo."
Microsoft: buys companies with notable 1st parties and now has Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Spyro, Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Sekiro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, King's Quest, Wolfenstein, Quake, Destiny, The Evil Within, Pitfall, and even the rights for the Tony Hawk games
Phil:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You know the odd thing about Microsoft getting Activision-Blizzard? Microsoft can practically make a crossover with a good amount of mascot/cartoony characters without any realistic-looking characters. Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Skylanders, Cuphead, Ori, Psychonauts, Battletoads, Viva Pinata, the Vault Boy from Fallout, Murky the Murloc from Warcraft. Pachimari from Overwatch, Commander Keen, Clippy. Just imagine with the more realistic-looking characters.
---
Phil Spencer: "We can't do a Microsoft crossover like Smash Bros as we hardly have any interesting 1st party characters compared to Nintendo."
Microsoft: buys companies with notable 1st parties and now has Crash Bandicoot, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout, Spyro, Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Sekiro, Warcraft, Starcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, King's Quest, Wolfenstein, Quake, Destiny, The Evil Within, Pitfall, and even the rights for the Tony Hawk games
Phil:
Yeah, WarCraft and StarCraft have a ton of visually interesting nonhuman characters that would really stand out. I love Blizzard’s character design and I’m excited about the possibility that Microsoft can turn the company around and get rid of all the problematic employees.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
View attachment 343101

I don't think Activision is gonna make a new console anytime soon my guy.
Neither of them are, but Sony's Playstation brand was and is always very dependent on their 3rd party developers, whereas Nintendo produces A+ gaming franchises on their own.

What am saying is that most big technology companies could do what Sony and Microsoft are doing, Nintendo is a brand on their own cause gaming is all they do.

Anyway, am not even thinking that we get new characters from Microsoft beyond Banjo and Steve honestly.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Broke: Microsoft's acquisitions could mean very interesting things for the next Smash game's guest characters

Woke: The next Killer Instinct's roster is about to be ****ing wild
I was just thinking that myself. I would absolutely love to see Illidan, Diablo, and Sarah Kerrigan in Killer Instinct. Blizzard and RARE have always been my two favorite western developers (before the controversy) so it would be a dream come true to see them cross over in KI.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Japanese companies seem to be less likely to merge historically with Bandai and Namco being the only merger that cost more than a billion. Square and Enix merged then aquired Eidos, but failed to rope in Tecmo... But just looking at the list of mergers it's clear US companies dominate in this regard.
Just give me a Nintendo/Capcom merger! Sooooo many characters for Smash 6!

Ivander

Smash Legend
Just give me a Nintendo/Capcom merger! Sooooo many characters for Smash 6!
I still wonder what we could've gotten had that Nintendo/Namco merge happened. Like...that was apparently the one that the Japanese government got involved in because of the fear of a monopoly, right?

But yeah, when it comes to the companies friendliest to Nintendo, Capcom and Namco are quite high up there, alongside Koei Tecmo. And all three have a bunch of fan favourite Smash picks, especially Capcom, who probably has the most fan favourite picks by far.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
But yeah, when it comes to the companies friendliest to Nintendo, Capcom and Namco are quite high up there, alongside Koei Tecmo. And all three have a bunch of fan favourite Smash picks, especially Capcom, who probably has the most fan favourite picks by far.
NB and KT have, a few. Capcom has, like, 30!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I still wonder what we could've gotten had that Nintendo/Namco merge happened. Like...that was apparently the one that the Japanese government got involved in because of the fear of a monopoly, right?

Yeah, if Nintendo ever decides to enter the buyout race (not likely, but certainly possible), those three are big ones to keep an eye on. Plus maybe Ubisoft, or at least the Mario + Rabbids team.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Or WoW rep before Chief.
I honestly think people are sleeping on WarCraft. WoW has had a huge impact on gaming and WarCraft has been very successful in many genres with RTS, MMO, and an Online TCG. If it wasn’t for WarCraft 3, I don’t think the MOBA genre would exist at all which has given us huge series like League of Legends. I’d honestly put it right up there with Halo in terms of gaming history. It also helps that I think their characters are a bit more suited for a game like Smash than Master Chief or Doomslayer who would be harder to translate to a platform fighter.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As a Master Chief supporter, losing out to Banjo and Steve was already sucky. If Chief loses out on being a "microsoft rep" due to Doomguy and/or Crash now I'm going to be...not very pleased.
With Starcraft, now you have more sci-fi armored shootymen to deal with. From a different genre entirely.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
With Starcraft, now you have more sci-fi armored shootymen to deal with. From a different genre entirely.
While I would vastly prefer StarCraft to Halo, I still don’t think they are really competing. Like I mentioned earlier, just because both are now owned by Microsoft, I don’t think it means they are limited to just one. Microsoft is a huge company that owns many developers with their own histories. I don’t think it’s fair to group them all together as “Microsoft reps”.

SirCamp

Smash Ace
This feels like bad news for Chief to me. It's all about branding tbh. Microsoft doesn't really have anything to lose letting a character like Banjo appear in Smash. I suspect the same is true for Crash for example. And given that there is a large amount of demand for Crash as well, this gives Microsoft every reason to hold Chief back as their most brand associated IP, while gaining good will with both fans and Nintendo by lending out other properties.

All the while essentially saying, hey if you want the best of the best though (Chief), you have to come to us and buy into our ecosystem.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I wouldn’t group RARE, Bethesda, and Activision-Blizzard all under a “Microsoft rep” for the purposes of Smash. They are all owned by the same company now but they each have their own separate histories and impact on gaming so I wouldn’t have any issue if they all got something in the next Smash. If anything, this only makes negotiations easier to get multiple of these in Smash.
Pretty much this. While there are some exceptions (Terry is very clearly an "SNK rep"), I don't think Smash is too focused on having a particularly company get represented through third-party characters. They only go for what's popular and in-demand, as evident from the fact that we got three different Square Enix characters through Ultimate's DLC alone (though one is also a Disney character).

(I know I'm repeating a few points here, but I had this written up before getting to the current end of the thread.)

Japanese companies seem to be less likely to merge historically with Bandai and Namco being the only merger that cost more than a billion. Square and Enix merged then aquired Eidos, but failed to rope in Tecmo... But just looking at the list of mergers it's clear US companies dominate in this regard.

Plus, and this may just be wishful thinking on my part, Japanese companies might be VERY wary of the fact that Sony really hasn't been the most popular in their home country ever since they packed up and moved to California. Hell, most of them are already difficult to work with in regards to America-based Microsoft (let alone be willing to ever merge with them). In fact, I'm willing to bet the only reason Microsoft managed to nab Rare in the first place was due to it being one of Nintendo's overseas subsidiaries.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Nintendo just had a complete monopoly on console gaming. Yeah, they were pretty arrogant prior to the Playstation, but I doubt they'd get to be too out of control now that PC gaming is legitimate competition nowadays. Hell, a lot of Playstation and Xbox's most prominent titles are already on PC anyway (especially Xbox's), so it's not like "consoles vs. PC" becoming "Nintendo vs. PC" would change all that much, so far as I'm aware.

Though, so long as we're talking about Nintendo's relations with Microsoft, does anybody see Nintendo allowing Smash on the Xbox as anytime soon? I mean, I'm sure Nintendo themselves are all too aware of how much of a killer exclusive they have on their hands, but I could see it as a potential condition if Microsoft becomes more and more involved with the franchise (and judging from the last couple pages of this thread, there's certainly a demand for more of that involvement, more so with the ActiBlizz acquisition).

I was just thinking that myself. I would absolutely love to see Illidan, Diablo, and Sarah Kerrigan in Killer Instinct. Blizzard and RARE have always been my two favorite western developers (before the controversy) so it would be a dream come true to see them cross over in KI.
I guess for me, it would be Rare and Interplay (ironically, I'm not among the people demanding for Earthworm Jim in Smash), with maybe a bit of Midway (for the first three Mortal Kombats and a bit of Rampage) and Atari (I wasn't around for most of their console days, but playing a little of their consoles retroactively, as well as Primal Rage, made them somewhat relevant for me growing up). I did dabble a tiny bit in strategy Warcraft, but yeah, I was mostly about Japanese gaming (and still am).

Ivander

Smash Legend
NB and KT have, a few. Capcom has, like, 30!
I wouldn't say that many, especially when the most notable picks for Capcom overshadow the rest, which are a Resident Evil character in general(whether it be Chris, Leon, Jill or Claire), the Monster Hunter, Dante, Chun-Li, Zero and Phoenix Wright. Others, like Amaterasu and Arthur, do get alot of mentions, but don't get picked nearly as often as those six.
Namco, despite not having many, are still very notable and quite up there with those six.
-You have a Tales of character, with the highest pick being Lloyd with Yuri being second, and later with Alphen and Shionne possibly entering the scene with Tales of Arise doing very well
-You have the Chosen Undead from Dark Souls and you have KOS-MOS due to the Monolith Soft connection and her appearance in Xenoblade 2.
-Aside from them, the only other character who tends to get attention is Nightmare from Soulcalibur, but of course, some people didn't really look at him since no one thought of him getting in over Tekken, which is true.
Whereas yeah, Koei Tecmo's most notable character is Ryu Hayabusa. But that's not to say that their Warriors and Dead or Alive series aren't popular. Kasumi gets alot of mention for Dead or Alive, while Lu Bu gets mentioned alot regarding Dynasty Warriors. And I think Japan had quite an interest in Atelier Ryza getting a rep since it was apparently enough for the creators to be asked about a Smash appearance, although whether Atelier Ryza belongs to Gust or Koei Tecmo, I'm not sure.
---
That aside, if you take mergers into question, of course Smash can greatly benefit from all of them.
-Capcom would practically be the coming of Nintendo vs Capcom, Smash Bros. style. Or heck, Marvel vs Capcom featuring guest stars from Nintendo.
-For Namco, not only do you have Tales of, Dark Souls, Xenosaga and Soulcalibur, but now there's also .hack, God Eater, idolmaster, possibly Digimon, Klonoa, Taiko no Tatsujin, Splatterhouse, all of their Arcade classics like Mappy, Dig Dug, Tower of Duraga, Valkyrie, Baraduke, etc and the Namco X Capcom/Project X Zone OC characters(since I think those characters belong to Namco/Monolith). Not to mention franchises for stage ideas like Ace Combat and Ridge Racer.
-Koei Tecmo has Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive, the Warriors games, Fatal Frame, Monster Rancher, Nioh, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, possibly Atelier, Toukiden, Deception, and their OC characters from the Nintendo games they've made, like Hyrule Warriors and Age of Calamity.

Sure Nintendo would benefit the most from either Capcom or Namco(especially when taking into account Namco's experience with Smash Bros.), but Koei Tecmo certainly wouldn't be a negative to Smash, especially if it means the Nintendo games that Nintendo didn't include in Smash even as Spirits, like the original Hyrule Warriors, can be referenced without issue.
Candy Crush before Chief
I thought Activision didn't own Candy Crush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom