• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now THAT, I can get behind...

Although for what it's worth, apparently Disney recently revealed in an interview that they're changing the way they approach video games (hence Sora in Smash), so who knows...
Mans really missed the entire Club Penguin reboot that bombed only a few months in?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
The problem is, we're not ACTUALLY acting like any video game character is on the table. Even with the occasional "hey wouldn't Adol be cool" speculation was still dominated by a select few.
I know but it's important to address this attitude. But yes it's being optimistic I'll agree. I don't know what the next game will be like, but I'm hype for it nonetheless. We throw suggestions around and some stick and some get trashed. As Gengar84 Gengar84 has said being respectful of others' ideas is important and to add to this presenting one's opinion respectfully is also important. Otherwise you risk 2 pages of whatever that was lol.

Yamat08

Smash Journeyman
I didn't say anything about age, either. Some things that get added due to "recency bias" or whatever you wanna call it turn out to be great. But it's only years later, say, when a new Smash game is being made, that we can evaluate whether or not those hot and popular picks from 5-10 years ago still hold their weight on the roster. There shouldn't be an auto-include button just because they made it into a previous game under a very specific set of circumstances and criteria that were mostly only relevant to that time period. We should ask if they still make sense to be on the roster, especially when resources could be spent on other things.
It is true that a lot of characters' relevance waned and, had a new Smash title been developed at any other time, they almost definitely would've missed the boat and would not be on the roster to this day. However, simply being in Smash also gives a major boost to that character. I mean, just look at Roy coming back in Smash4. A clone, a clone whom (as far as I'm aware) was played with less than his base character, and who wasn't even that well-loved among fans of his home series. In a sense, it was no surprise that he was deemed expendable in Brawl (even if attempts were made otherwise), and yet he was still a popular pick to return simply due to his veteran status. And despite their vocal haters, I'm sure even someone like Corrin has their significant share of fans (either for the character itself, for their gameplay, or both). What's even more amusing is that a lot of these characters no doubt gained even more fans due to how well-balanced Ultimate is as a whole.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Even in Melee, third party characters were planned for the game, or at least there were talks about including them, but there wasn't enough time to include them given how tight that game's development schedule was. So as far as I know, the only game where it didn't come up was the original.

They've been part of the series for longer than it was Nintendo-only, and removing all third party characters at this point seems like a HUGE step backwards. (I understand that some companies might be uncooperative or difficult to work with, but I can't think of any reason why Sega would refuse to let Sonic the Hedgehog be included in Smash Bros.)

It would be like removing Spider-Man and the Hulk from the Marvel Cinematic Universe because their film rights aren't fully owned by Marvel - the drawbacks significantly outweigh the benefits. Alternatively, it's like how Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite removed the X-Men and Fantastic Four related characters over petty movie rights-related issues that had nothing to do with the games - nobody looked at that decision and went "yeah, that's a great idea".
Imagine if Sonic did show up in Melee, maybe the GC would have sold a lot better than it did

I'm honestly shocked there are still devs that haven't jumped on the Switch yet. I'm not talking about the big names like Capcom or Bandai Namco, but companies like Idea Factory, who still primarily focus on Playstation despite the PS5's abysmal sales...
There are a couple IF games on Switch like Neptunia and Fairy Fencer F, and Spike Chunsoft put out the Danganronpa collection this month (which is still missing UDG for some reason, that game is literally important to the story)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Imagine if Sonic did show up in Melee, maybe the GC would have sold a lot better than it did

There are a couple IF games on Switch like Neptunia and Fairy Fencer F, and Spike Chunsoft put out the Danganronpa collection this month (which is still missing UDG for some reason, that game is literally important to the story)
Apparently, they thought about porting UDG, but they were worried about the subject matter...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Apparently, they thought about porting UDG, but they were worried about the subject matter...
I mean

aren’t all the DR games rated M for Mature? And aren’t there games on the Switch with darker subject material than that?

(don’t spoil me on UDG I’ve not played it yet so I can’t compare the subject matter there. I just know it’s important to the overall DR story)

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Game Awards tonight. Anyone expecting any Nintendo announcements? I heard some rumors about something with regards to Zelda

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd be a little surprised if massive cuts happen next game. Smash usually doesn't cut a ton of characters. If we think the characters on shakier ground will be cut (Snake, Cloud, Sephiroth, Sora, Hero, (the line of thinking here is if SE is stingy and doesn't let their characters return) Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario), while not ideal to lose them, that's honestly not that many. There could be more cuts than that, but I don't expect it to be that many more. Being unable to do Everyone is Here again =/= cutting nearly all third parties or cutting a lot of the roster. I think that sort of thing could go over okay with fans, provided we also get newcomers that fans will like. Waluigi and Master Chief come to mind.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think that sort of thing could go over okay with fans, provided we also get newcomers that fans will like. Waluigi and Master Chief come to mind.
This is exactly why MvC3 isn't considered horrible with its massive cuts. MvC2 has nearly every sprite Capcom made for a fighter on CPS2 hardware...MvC3 has Dante, Zero, Amateratsu, Phoenix Wright, Thor, Phoenix, Deadpool, Ghost Rider...

Unfortunately the way things are going you're going to have to pray that more than 2 of Smash 6's newcomers are accepted and you know why.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
It is true that a lot of characters' relevance waned and, had a new Smash title been developed at any other time, they almost definitely would've missed the boat and would not be on the roster to this day. However, simply being in Smash also gives a major boost to that character. I mean, just look at Roy coming back in Smash4. A clone, a clone whom (as far as I'm aware) was played with less than his base character, and who wasn't even that well-loved among fans of his home series. In a sense, it was no surprise that he was deemed expendable in Brawl (even if attempts were made otherwise), and yet he was still a popular pick to return simply due to his veteran status. And despite their vocal haters, I'm sure even someone like Corrin has their significant share of fans (either for the character itself, for their gameplay, or both). What's even more amusing is that a lot of these characters no doubt gained even more fans due to how well-balanced Ultimate is as a whole.
I mean, yeah, they get more popularity and visibility from having been in Smash before. For sure. But that has nothing to do with their relevance/importance to their own series or to the history of Nintendo gaming in general; thus, it is usually not enough to make them worth rostering IMO.

Like, Young Link's importance to Nintendo or to Zelda doesn't derive from him being playable in Smash; no, that comes from what he does in his own games. And there are plenty of interesting Zelda characters arguably just as or more important than him that warrant consideration (ignore for the purpose of example that YL can be made a clone while these others might not be able to be clones). If you think YL is better to roster than these alternatives based on his importance to LoZ or to Nintendo at large, then okay, roster him. We can have the debate about whether or not he is more important than someone like Impa who could also conceivably be made as a clone, or someone like Skull Kid who might or might not represent Majora's Mask better and may or may not be more popular but may also cost more resources. As I said, it's a debate we can have. But YL being thrown into Melee as a roster-pad clone twenty years ago shouldn't be a factor. Nor should Impa missing the boat twenty years ago be a factor if she is deemed important and practically workable enough right now.

Sometimes the popularity gained from Smash can lead to a character getting more attention within their own series or among Nintendo fans in general, but this only happens to varying degrees. I hate to keep hammering on the Incineroar example, but Incineroar is still way less popular/relevant within his own series by now compared to several other alternatives from Gens 2, 3, or 5 who apparently missed the boat solely due to timing (or even ones from Gens 1,4,etc. who got passed over for bigger names of their time like Charizard, Lucario, etc.). And this is despite his appearance in Smash. Similar things can be said of Jigglypuff, in case you think I'm just hating on newgen mons. Even Roy is outdone by other Fire Emblem characters in terms of popularity among FE fans (like Lyn), and no amount of Smash appearances or popularity (from Smash fans or FE fans) can change the fact that outside of minor appearances in spinoffs, he is a one-off character from a Japan-only game that didn't even garner that much attention in its time, certainly much less than those of other FE characters that are not represented (like Lyn, Hector, Celica, Ephraim, Tiki, Anna, etc. take your pick). Of course, once again Roy can be a clone so the comparisons are not one-for-one; this is just to illustrate. But to sum up, sure Roy is popular now due to Smash, but he's still not that important to Smash or to FE or to Nintendo in the grand scheme of things, and he should still have to compete for a roster spot against other characters in a similar place like Falco or Wolf or other possible FE clones or Impa or Dark Pit or whoever else you can cook up (no need to make comparisons solely between characters of the same series; those examples just came to mind first).

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
People are asking for way too much rn. We can go over the moon of what we want but it's clear in stone what Smash's future is like Roster-Wise.

Let's accept it and move on
No. Get bent.

Sakurai literally admitted that Sora would appeal to people who've already bought the game by revealing he was the #1 pick on the ballot.
Not quite accurate since owning Smash wasn't a requirement for voting in the ballot.

In my personal experience, people react more based on your attitude than what character you root for. I think what tends to bother people is trying to speak for other people with statements like “Smash fans want…” while putting down everyone that disagrees with your opinion.
Smash fans want Kunio, baby!

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Whilst the next smash game having a roster anywhere near as big as Ultimate's is unlikely as hell and that includes the idea of a port which would likely require all characters to be renegotiated for, since Sakurai could very easily return next game, and how he seems really reluctant to changing characters playstyles, then I don't see why a reboot is likely lol. That's why we still have Falcondorf like 20 years after his debut. The only real changes characters ever get are swap outs or direct upgrades if we're talking completely different attacks. With that in mind, that alone sort of throws whether a reboot is even being considered...

We aren't getting anything like Ultimate again flat out. But that doesn't mean they won't try to get most of the characters back. It's very likely gonna just be your run of the mill business as usual smash title, like smash 4... Maybe if a completely new director takes the helm, but considering Sakurai's comments on that, and how Ultimate just wrapped up, that's far enough into the future that we just won't know. Sakurai seems to be aware of his limits, and with that in mind, just a typical run of the mill smash title might look appealing in comparison to Ultimate from that perspective.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Whelp, I think we can all come together and agree that This game is totally going to get a rep next Smash:

Dunno that I'm very confident on that. The latest news says it's planned to release for PS5, XBox X and S, and Windows... so, not Switch. Even if it does see a Switch release sometime in the future, I'm doubtful it'll get a spot in Smash. With the next Smash so far off, it'd have to hold the spotlight for a long time, probably with a couple sequels, which very well may not happen. Yo-Kai Watch comes to mind as a monster collector that did manage to hold the spotlight for a long time, only for it to have fallen off pretty hard in recent years while still not having a character in Smash. To say nothing of other games such as Fall Guys or Among Us whose presence is definitely beginning to wane.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Dunno that I'm very confident on that. The latest news says it's planned to release for PS5, XBox X and S, and Windows... so, not Switch. Even if it does see a Switch release sometime in the future, I'm doubtful it'll get a spot in Smash. With the next Smash so far off, it'd have to hold the spotlight for a long time, probably with a couple sequels, which very well may not happen. Yo-Kai Watch comes to mind as a monster collector that did manage to hold the spotlight for a long time, only for it to have fallen off pretty hard in recent years while still not having a character in Smash. To say nothing of other games such as Fall Guys or Among Us whose presence is definitely beginning to wane.
I think he's just ****posting.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Whelp, I think we can all come together and agree that This game is totally going to get a rep next Smash:

"Y'know A Hat in Time, right?"
"Yeah yeah that was a pretty fun little indie game."
"Yeah but what if we just made it a AAA title that would absolutely fry even the highest-end PC's processors trying to render a bunch of stuff on the screen?"

And then they made a gajillion dollars. :bowsette:

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
28th Anniversary of DOOM (1993) acknowledged by Sakurai.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, looks like we're waiting until a Nintendo Direct in February or March for more to talk about.

Unless we get one dedicated to a single franchise in January or something. Fire Emblem's been strangely quiet for a while...

Pokémon might kickstart Gen 9 next year, but they (probably) won't go until late Februrary, around the series anniversary and after Legends has had time to breathe.

Last edited:
28th Anniversary of DOOM (1993) acknowledged by Sakurai.

So, looks like we're waiting until a Nintendo Direct in February or March for more to talk about.

Unless we get one dedicated to a single franchise in January or something. Fire Emblem's been strangely quiet for a while...

Pokémon might kickstart Gen 9 next year, but they (probably) won't go until late Februrary, around the series anniversary and after Legends has had time to breathe.
You must be from youtube, right?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Id say the most likely thing to expect is something like this.

January: Direct Mini
February: Pokemon announces DLC for BDSP, Arceus
March: Nintendo Direct in earnest

I think you could swap Feb and March stuff and no one would bat an eye. I think that Pokemon will not start gen 9 anytime soon, especially with Game Freak still going through crunch time on Legends. I would say the best time to estimate Gen 9 would be 2023.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Even without a major Nintendo announcement that was a fairly lackluster VGA. It's pretty much a cycle. You can have like either 1 or 2 consecutive knockout years and then things simmer down substantially for about 2-3 years after that. Understandable of course. Thankfully though it's looking like 2022 is one of those knockout years.

So all that being said I think GOTY this year was just long-term cover for the reputation of the ceremony. The organizers want their organization to seem reputable and unbias so they give GOTY in a clear off year to the most unassuming candidate. I haven't played any of these games except Psychonauts 2 so that's where I'm personally coming from btw. I tend to think of GOTY as more a marketing term than an actual award but even judging completely by those metrics, I still try to weave through the actual contenders and the filler. Dread, Ratchet and Deathloop are all clear filler candidates. Dread can't get it because BOTW 2 is already almost certainly GOTY 22 and it doesn't matter what any of us have to think about something that presumptuous. There is really no challenger to it (BOTW2) in terms of industry status. Ratchet can't get it because Sony doesn't want their GOTY to be wasted on what is essentially a AAA tech demo. I don't mean that as an insult to the game btw I'm impressed with what I've seen and loved the last game. Next year Sony's bone will be getting two of their first-party games as nominees for GOTY those being God of War and Horizon while BOTW 2 takes the W. Deathloop is just a heavily marketed thing only attentive gamers know about but even most of them haven't played it. Despite the heavy advertising of the concept it's just a FPS x Roguelite that hasn't really made the impact to even be a nominee in my opinion.

That leaves us with Village, It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2. Village is out because it's just too easy, predictable and lazy to give it to an AAA horror survival game on an off-year. Death Stranding was supposed to be that game (I've played and beaten Death Stranding and loved it) but it wasn't mainstream-friendly enough to carry the win home. Anyways Village is a good Resident Evil game from what I've heard but it's just another Resident Evil game. I played 7 with a VR and loved it primarily for the novelty of VR. So in my opinion that game (RE7VR) was actually worthy of the GOTY as an award but since we know the award is really more a marketing term and like a small portion of the gaming audience this marketing is geared towards even actually has VR headsets. So that was never going to fly with the organizers/industry. Quick aside I could see that Silent Hill game being a GOTY winner in the future. One of these days a Horror game is gonna get it. So yeah Village ain't getting it on an off-year with 3 obvious filler candidates around it.

Anyways that leaves us with the winner and Psychonauts 2 and I gotta save Psychonauts was absolutely robbed in both the marketing respect but especially the borderline non-existent award consideration too. Not only was it a triumphant return for the 3D platforming genre (shoutout to Crash 4 of course, heavily underrated) not named Mario but it set such a standard for the genre that Mario best be taking some notes. Such a shame I think. Not to mention the amazing visuals and story but I don't want to potentially spoil any of that for people. It's not only an amazing sequel but it's a standout game on its own.

Apparently IGN has quietly retroactively raised the score they gave It Takes Two upon release. Kind of makes me think this is all to maintain the aforementioned veneer of impartially by giving GOTY to the most unassuming candidate. Oh well not to take away from what clearly looks like a fun game with loads of love and effort put into it. I'll have to check it out when it's on sale but until last night I had no freaking clue that this game even existed which I can not say about any of the previous Games of the Years (or even most of the nominees) of past.

I know I'm biased but I'm also not pretending to not be either; unlike the game awards. Oh well.

/rant.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Fire Emblem's been strangely quiet for a while...
After making a Top 3 Fire Emblem game you gotta go back to the drawing board to make another good game. They're learning from Fates. :091:

Either that for FE4/5 combo remake which I would like both to happen at once please and thank you

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Either that for FE4/5 combo remake which I would like both to happen at once please and thank you
I think both of these games will get remakes sooner or later, but I can't see them being a package deal. Their gameplay is just too different to really make one cohesive package. It'd be weird to have Genealogy with Thracia-style gameplay or Thracia with Genealogy-style gameplay, especially since their design choices are meant to reflect their respective narratives.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think both of these games will get remakes sooner or later, but I can't see them being a package deal. Their gameplay is just too different to really make one cohesive package. It'd be weird to have Genealogy with Thracia-style gameplay or Thracia with Genealogy-style gameplay, especially since their design choices are meant to reflect their respective narratives.
Did FE2's remake hold any significant resemblance to Fire Emblem Gaiden? :191: FE12 added a whole OC to FE3. Just let me live my fantasy before I start breaking down every bit of that post.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Okay, stupid idea: Thracia also gets a remake, but in the form of Torna-style DLC: as in, it IS DLC, but it's so wildly different nobody would blame them for selling it as a seperate game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Thracia 776 is just underrated. I wonder what Smash would've been like if they went with Leif instead of Marth. It could have created an entirely different archetype of anime swordsman considering that Leif is one of the more different main Lords. :nifty:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Now THAT, I can get behind...

Although for what it's worth, apparently Disney recently revealed in an interview that they're changing the way they approach video games (hence Sora in Smash), so who knows...
Nah man, ToonTown fo LYFE BRO!

1639182618092.png

Even without a major Nintendo announcement that was a fairly lackluster VGA. It's pretty much a cycle. You can have like either 1 or 2 consecutive knockout years and then things simmer down substantially for about 2-3 years after that. Understandable of course. Thankfully though it's looking like 2022 is one of those knockout years.

So all that being said I think GOTY this year was just long-term cover for the reputation of the ceremony. The organizers want their organization to seem reputable and unbias so they give GOTY in a clear off year to the most unassuming candidate. I haven't played any of these games except Psychonauts 2 so that's where I'm personally coming from btw. I tend to think of GOTY as more a marketing term than an actual award but even judging completely by those metrics, I still try to weave through the actual contenders and the filler. Dread, Ratchet and Deathloop are all clear filler candidates. Dread can't get it because BOTW 2 is already almost certainly GOTY 22 and it doesn't matter what any of us have to think about something that presumptuous. There is really no challenger to it (BOTW2) in terms of industry status. Ratchet can't get it because Sony doesn't want their GOTY to be wasted on what is essentially a AAA tech demo. I don't mean that as an insult to the game btw I'm impressed with what I've seen and loved the last game. Next year Sony's bone will be getting two of their first-party games as nominees for GOTY those being God of War and Horizon while BOTW 2 takes the W. Deathloop is just a heavily marketed thing only attentive gamers know about but even most of them haven't played it. Despite the heavy advertising of the concept it's just a FPS x Roguelite that hasn't really made the impact to even be a nominee in my opinion.

That leaves us with Village, It Takes Two and Psychonauts 2. Village is out because it's just too easy, predictable and lazy to give it to an AAA horror survival game on an off-year. Death Stranding was supposed to be that game (I've played and beaten Death Stranding and loved it) but it wasn't mainstream-friendly enough to carry the win home. Anyways Village is a good Resident Evil game from what I've heard but it's just another Resident Evil game. I played 7 with a VR and loved it primarily for the novelty of VR. So in my opinion that game (RE7VR) was actually worthy of the GOTY as an award but since we know the award is really more a marketing term and like a small portion of the gaming audience this marketing is geared towards even actually has VR headsets. So that was never going to fly with the organizers/industry. Quick aside I could see that Silent Hill game being a GOTY winner in the future. One of these days a Horror game is gonna get it. So yeah Village ain't getting it on an off-year with 3 obvious filler candidates around it.

Anyways that leaves us with the winner and Psychonauts 2 and I gotta save Psychonauts was absolutely robbed in both the marketing respect but especially the borderline non-existent award consideration too. Not only was it a triumphant return for the 3D platforming genre (shoutout to Crash 4 of course, heavily underrated) not named Mario but it set such a standard for the genre that Mario best be taking some notes. Such a shame I think. Not to mention the amazing visuals and story but I don't want to potentially spoil any of that for people. It's not only an amazing sequel but it's a standout game on its own.

Apparently IGN has quietly retroactively raised the score they gave It Takes Two upon release. Kind of makes me think this is all to maintain the aforementioned veneer of impartially by giving GOTY to the most unassuming candidate. Oh well not to take away from what clearly looks like a fun game with loads of love and effort put into it. I'll have to check it out when it's on sale but until last night I had no freaking clue that this game even existed which I can not say about any of the previous Games of the Years (or even most of the nominees) of past.

I know I'm biased but I'm also not pretending to not be either; unlike the game awards. Oh well.

/rant.
Considering the hard L Take Two games gave this game people fell in love with, I think it's okay for them to get some sort of W.

Last edited:
Top Bottom