• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Man that's not even an alt in his home series lol
It really should be. I have no idea what the UMvC3 devs were thinking when they chose obnoxiously bright pink over disheveled dad for Wright's alt. I assume it was the same funny cigarette that made them choose X to be Zero's alt instead of a playable character.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It really should be. I have no idea what the UMvC3 devs were thinking when they chose obnoxiously bright pink over disheveled dad for Wright's alt. I assume it was the same funny cigarette that made them choose X to be Zero's alt instead of a playable character.
I don't see anything wrong with the alt they had for Wright in that game.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't see anything wrong with the alt they had for Wright in that game.
It's not awful, per se, but I would have much preferred Wright's Apollo Justice appearance. I just really never cared for Young Phoenix's appearance, especially when the focal point of his entire design is an intentionally ugly sweater to encapsulate how much Dahlia had him wrapped around her finger. That works in Trials and Tribulations for the flashback cases, but it doesn't quite land in Marvel and I'd much rather have any other option for a Wright alt in Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Unfortinately Capcom doesnt like portraying Phoenix as a dad. Hence why the writers go out of their way to never have him interacting with his daughter post Apollo justice

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It's not awful, per se, but I would have much preferred Wright's Apollo Justice appearance. I just really never cared for Young Phoenix's appearance, especially when the focal point of his entire design is an intentionally ugly sweater to encapsulate how much Dahlia had him wrapped around her finger. That works in Trials and Tribulations for the flashback cases, but it doesn't quite land in Marvel and I'd much rather have any other option for a Wright alt in Smash.
Seeing how different Phoenix acted in the Apollo Justice game, I just can't picture him looking like that but acting the way he did in UMvC3. It just seems so awkward. I can picture Young Phoenix acting like that, though.

Plus, I guess I'm just not a fan of that look either.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Regardless, I think Phoenix Wright would either only have his original trilogy costume or his original trilogy costume and Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice costume alternating every other slot. Those are his most iconic looks by far. I do think we could get palettes referencing Feenie and Hobo Pheonix though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Completely random, but does anybody have any thoughts on this?

You know what's crazy? Even if this occurred during the days of the Wii U, I'm sure Nintendo would STILL be in more than a good-enough spot to NOT be bought out by anybody.

Heck, they might have even laughed MS out of the building AGAIN.

Like, THAT'S how good of a situation Nintendo is in. Even with their 2nd worst-selling console, they'd still be perfectly fine enough that selling themselves over to another company would be inconceivable.

It's not actually. Only in Custom Robo Battle Revolution, aka the Gamecube one, had a system where you got a Robo piece from defeating a foe or proceeding the story and even then, it wasn't always a piece the opponent had. In the other Custom Robo games, you bought the Robos/Parts from stores while others were unlocked for you, most notably the Illigal parts where you had to defeat a character using them to get them since you obviously couldn't buy them.

Also, the fights/mechanics are also different. The Robos are much much smaller than people, almost all of them the size of an action figure. And they are the equivalent of a Mini-Mecha where the owners "dive" into the Robots and pilots them/wears them like a robot suit. And while there are often safety measures, it is very possible for the hosts to get injured or even killed by a damage overload while piloting the Robo. Basically, the only similarity between Custom Robo and Medabots is that the robots are the main focus, but mechanically they are very different. The Promotional Animation can give some of the details better.

And yeah, Ray would be the de-facto choice for Custom Robo. The only question would be if they base the alternate costumes off of the other Ray models, which for some they could, some others probably not. Ray Sky/AIRS from the GBA Custom Robo(and Arena) notably have different body structures from the other Rays and Ray 01 from the Gamecube game is filled to the brim with alot of additional details compared to the other Rays.

It's really hard to picture when simply 4 players in a Holosseam practically make it full. Like for a Custom Robo 99 to work, you would really need a gigantic Arena that probably wouldn't be so different from a Map in a Top-Down Battle Royale like Battle Crush or another game like it.
Personally, I've always been of the belief that Ray should have other Ray models as his alt. skins.

Admittedly, there WAS a time where I was hoping he would share said slot with other Custom Robos. To be fair, this was BEFORE I learned more about how the alt. skin feature for characters like Alph and the Koopalings worked.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
PErsonally, I've always been of the belief that Ray should have other Ray models as his alt. skins.

Admittedly, there WAS a time where I was hoping he would share said slot with other Custom Robos. To be fair, this was BEFORE I learned more about how the alt. skin feature for characters like Alph and the Koopalings worked.
The original Ray with Ray MKII, Ray MKIII and Dark Ray MKII can work without issue. And Ray Legend from the Gamecube and X-Ray from the GBA Custom Robo too if they wanted to. It's really when you bring in Ray 01, Ray Warrior, Ray Sky and AIRS that the body shape gets issues, as both Ray Sky and AIRS have very bulky bodies due to them being transformers, Ray 01's upper body is more bulkier on it's front side and Ray Warrior is Ray 01, but with more armor packed onto it.
Which is sad because I'm a huge fan of the Gamecube version and Ray 01 would be my de-facto pick for a Custom Robo for Smash, but the original Ray with some of it's variants as alternates would be more fitting for representing the whole customization/models aspect of Custom Robo in Smash Bros, even if it potentially means Ray 01 might not get in due to have a notably different body shape from the others.

Stratos

Smash Ace
From what I understand (if I understand correctly that is) is Microsoft trying to buy Nintendo again? If that's the case then I don't accept it and I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't accept being bought by someone else either. As I wrote yesterday, Nintendo should not be acquired, because if this is done then Nintendo may lose its popularity and that is something that we Nintendo fans do not want. After all, as I wrote in the same topic yesterday, Nintendo can manage on its own.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
From what I understand (if I understand correctly that is) is Microsoft trying to buy Nintendo again? If that's the case then I don't accept it and I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't accept being bought by someone else either. As I wrote yesterday, Nintendo should not be acquired, because if this is done then Nintendo may lose its popularity and that is something that we Nintendo fans do not want. After all, as I wrote in the same topic yesterday, Nintendo can manage on its own.
It was from a while ago and it was more Phil's sharing his super long term plan which is surely changed now.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I haven't posted on these boards since the Speculation threads shut down, but I have been on a "Next Smash" discussion vibe lately.

I will root for my favorites, Arle and Phoenix Wright forever, but I'll also be there for the inevitable Alear support thread.
Ultimate has been out for nearly 5 years, so it's been awhile.
Makes sense "next smash" dicussion vibes are reviving.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I thought about Professor Hershel Layton's alternate palette costumes for future Super Smash Bros. games. Here are the following:

His own
Costume based from Luke Triton
Costume based from Don Paolo
Costume based from Inspector Chelmey
Costume based from Barton
Costume based from Katrielle Layton
Costume based from Ernest Greeves
Costume based from Jean Descole

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I thought about Professor Hershel Layton's alternate palette costumes for future Super Smash Bros. games. Here are the following:

His own
Costume based from Luke Triton
Costume based from Don Paolo
Costume based from Inspector Chelmey
Costume based from Barton
Costume based from Katrielle Layton
Costume based from Ernest Greeves
Costume based from Jean Descole
I would replace one of the costumes with Dimitri Allen's colors. Probably Barton's since the outfit he wears is already similar in color to Don Paolo's outfit.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It was from a while ago and it was more Phil's sharing his super long term plan which is surely changed now.
The tactics' have probably changed, but considering Microsoft is clearly looking to consolidate many properties and companies under their name (with Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard being the most famous examples) I wouldn't be surprised if they still consider Nintendo a target. It's not something they'd try now for multiple reasons, but if the opportunity were to open up later, they would definitely try to snap them up.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
The tactics' have probably changed, but considering Microsoft is clearly looking to consolidate many properties and companies under their name (with Bethesda and Activision-Blizzard being the most famous examples) I wouldn't be surprised if they still consider Nintendo a target. It's not something they'd try now for multiple reasons, but if the opportunity were to open up later, they would definitely try to snap them up.
Given how much trouble acquiring ABK has been for MS, I think they've learned there'd be no way for them to acquire Nintendo, a company MS themselves has deemed a competitor, without the various trade commissions blocking it on grounds of a monopoly.

So I think were this on their docket, it would be under the provision of waiting until Nintendo becomes third-party. Which may be a very long wait.

dream1ng

Smash Champion
I think the bigger hurdle is Nintendo has no interest in selling.
There are a lot of hurdles. That reply was in reference to a post on Microsoft's disposition, not Nintendo's. But I think the various anti-monopoly commissions are a bigger hurdle, since a hostile takeover, while incredibly unlikely, is, in theory, something MS can work towards.

But because I think they now realize there is what is tantamount to a wall when it comes to the various organizations allowing such a buyout to take place, as there would be even if Nintendo were looking to be bought out, they would likely not even be inclined to pursue it past a point.

Another hurdle is Japanese law which makes foreign companies acquiring Japanese companies very difficult, and acquiring companies which do not wish to be acquired even more difficult.

Yet another hurdle is acquiring Nintendo would cost in the same range as ABK, and while the MS board of directors seemed amenable to a Nintendo acquisition at the time of that email, if the ABK buyout doesn't help turn MS's fortunes around, they may be more gun-shy on another substantial investment.

And another hurdle is if Nintendo is in the position where being bought seemed feasible, you probably would also have companies like Amazon, Apple, Tencent, possibly even Disney sniffing around as well - who would be far less subject to the red tape of horizontal merging.

I've been giving it some thought, and if Smash gets rebooted, I will only cut Shulk if Alear is the only FE character on the roster, due to moveset similarity.

Think about it. Marth could give Alear enhanced jumping, Roy could give fire effects, Robin could act as a shield, Corrin could increase the damage, and Byleth could increase Alear's speed.

That's my idea on shrinking the Fire Emblem roster for the next entry, while also keeping Xenoblade around. Thoughts?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've been giving it some thought, and if Smash gets rebooted, I will only cut Shulk if Alear is the only FE character on the roster, due to moveset similarity.

Think about it. Marth could give Alear enhanced jumping, Roy could give fire effects, Robin could act as a shield, Corrin could increase the damage, and Byleth could increase Alear's speed.

That's my idea on shrinking the Fire Emblem roster for the next entry, while also keeping Xenoblade around. Thoughts?
This is poorly thought out.

And would be a terrible way to solve the "FE problem."

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last week’s direct had a few things I’d love to see in the next smash

it’d be cool if peach got some new things from showtime. even just a couple new alts

I hope thousand year door gets some more music cause the remixes from the remaster sound great

and I’d love the remakes of another code to lead to something. Ashley as a fighter is beyond unlikely but a stage would be nice

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I have another unpopular idea for Fire Emblem representation that isn’t really very likely due to having to remake several characters. My idea is that we have movesets based around character classes rather than individual characters. Each class could have up to eight separate playable characters (like Bowser Jr.). Some movesets that don’t fit into any class (like Corrin) could stay as they are as a separate character from this. These characters can still be made to show their individual personalities with different taunts. Cloud’s Advent Children alt has a different final smash so that shows non-gameplay related changes are possible between alts. Most units beyond recent lords in Fire Emblem play nearly identically to others in their class so it makes sense from a gameplay perspective.

I just think that the current method kind of limits us to just getting the most recent lord from each game, which are typically some of the least interesting characters in my opinion. This idea would have been a lot more feasible had they went with that approach from the start but wouldn’t likely happen now with so many unique movesets.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
The way to solve the FE problem is to just get rid of a few of them.

Not all of them. At most, one of the echoes and Corrin. We’re getting another one anyways so the series will have 7 fighters, which is still pretty hefty.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The way to solve the FE problem is to just get rid of a few of them.

Not all of them. At most, one of the echoes and Corrin. We’re getting another one anyways so the series will have 7 fighters, which is still pretty hefty.
I don’t think removing echoes really makes too much sense due to the vastly less development time and resources they take in comparison to a fully unique character. The main reason for cuts would likely be due to limited development time so I’d think they would be more likely to cut original characters.

They could always demote the echoes like Lucina or even semiclones like Roy or Chrom to alternate outfits of Marth but I’m not entirely sure whether the time saved would be worth the lack of their unique traits. Still, I’d prefer that to cutting them entirely.

Last edited:
Honestly, my idea for Alear is for them to be based on their appearance as the 13th Emblem, since they can Engage with any unit in the game (ergo, they can enlist the help of their friends for their special moves).
Honestly, I like that better than my own idea, as it could allow for more creativity in his moveset. I'd still cut about half the FE roster to make way for him, though:

Marth
Robin
Corrin
Byleth
Alear

Roy, Ike, Lucina, and Chrom are cut to make room for Alear. Maybe even Marth himself could be on the chopping block.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Why people suddenly start thinking Marvel vs Capcom Infinite style of "characters are functions" game design is good somehow when it comes to Fire Emblem?
That’s not really my basis for my idea. It’s actually quite the opposite. I like characters for much more than just their moveset. The main reason I like my idea is it allows us to play as many more characters than we otherwise would have without having to create 50+ movesets. A lot of my personal favorite Fire Emblem characters are supporting characters rather than the main lord of each game. Since the characters play canonically similar in their source games, it makes sense to carry that idea over into Smash.

For example, if you ask any Fire Emblem fan why they like a particular character (let’s go with Tharja in this case), I doubt many people would claim their moveset in the game as a primary reason. There are many mages throughout the series that all play roughly the same so Tharja being another mage doesn’t really stand out for that reason. I would wager that many more people like Tharja or any other character for their personality, backstory, and design, all of which can be represented through an alt with unique taunts. Minor changes like taunts that help to show off the characters personality are all you would really need to have the character feel completely faithful to their game without needing a completely unique moveset.

Capcom was saying that people shouldn’t care if a particular character was cut or didn’t make it in because another character plays similarly. That would be more akin to Sakurai saying no one should care that Lucina was cut because Marth is basically the same or people shouldn’t want Tharja in Smash because her moveset would be so similar to Robin’s. My proposal is characters first, moveset second where Capcom’s was the reverse.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Honestly, I like that better than my own idea, as it could allow for more creativity in his moveset. I'd still cut about half the FE roster to make way for him, though:

Marth
Robin
Corrin
Byleth
Alear

Roy, Ike, Lucina, and Chrom are cut to make room for Alear. Maybe even Marth himself could be on the chopping block.
The laundry list of characters who would be cut before Marth is large enough to include characters like Fox. Marth is never getting cut lmao.

Top Bottom