• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Alright, so, this may seem like a really obvious question to ask, but I wanted to just put this forward in a much more direct manner and see what ppl say.

Newcomers you think have a good shot for next game. Go.
Geno
Waluigi
Crash Bandicoot
Ryu Hayabusa
Sol Badguy
Ayumi Tachibana
Sukapon (if a little chance now that he is overseas, but is still more recent)
Dixie Kong
Bandana Waddle Dee
Xenoblade 3 Rep
Bomberman
Rayman
Dr. Eggman

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I hope you realize that almost 90% of the base game newcomers since Brawl have been first party.
i got bored and ran the numbers on this, no disrespect meant btw just purely out of my own interest

sm4sh introduced 17 base-game newcomers (if we count the miis as seperate characters), of which 15 were first party
ultimate introduced 10 base-game newcomers (if we count echoes as seperate characters) of which 6 were first party

in total that's 21/27, or 77.7% reoccuring, so 77.7% of the base game newcomers since brawl have been first party

(feels good to do a brain teaser lol)

random side note but 20.2% of ultimate's entire cast are third-party

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's pretty shortsighted to say Nintendo is down to the bottom of the barrel. Off the top of my head, there's Waluigi, Tom Nook, Officer Howard, an array of choices from Splatoon (Octolings, any of the seven idols, Octavio, Mr. Grizz...), Dixie Kong, another Pikmin character (Louie, Shepherd, Oatchi, Alph...), Lyn, Noah and/or Mio (or even XC3 Rex), Spring Man, Ring Fit Trainee, and of course the obligatory Pokémon pick.

And that's without getting into Isaac as a fan favorite pick, Takamaru if they want another retro, Sukapon as an alternative if they want to acknowledge the fact that Joy Mech Fight now has an official Western release, Ayumi Tachibana if they want to pull from the FDC remake, and soon, if rumors are to be believed, Ashley Robbins as well.

And then there's also the elephant in the room that is a Zelda newcomer.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
  • A Resident Evil character (probably Jill or Leon, possibly both with Chris and Claire in a Hero-style slot)
A Hero scenario doesn't really work here imo
The characters are, well, actual characters with different personalities and they have fairly different builds as well as their own sets of skills that don't entirely work with anyone else.

Jill's acrobatics and dodging can maybe work with Claire but it doesn't really suit the men, Leon is well known for gun-fu, his knife skills and flashy moves like the suplex and roundhouse kick whilst Chris is best known for being a beefcake that can punch things really hard and is more of a military man. Claire doesn't really have a whole lot to herself that she's actually done, she's as basic a survivor you can get at the moment.

Given RE4's status and Leon's sheer popularity, I'd give him the nod above everyone else with Jill not too far behind.

That's why he's the only one in bracket asking to be free'd.
Beside Waluigi? NO IDEA
I mean there's plenty of decent picks active in/from the Switch era alone
Octolings or some other Splatoon character, Meowscarada, Gholdengo, Alear (or someone else from Engage because with 8 characters already in we can afford to go for different types of FE character I think, maybe even dip back to older titles and look at Lyn, Tiki and Edelgard), some Xeno Character, Ring Fit Trainer, (Captain) Toad, Raven Beak, any of the other Pikmin captains with some stuff from Pikmin 4 and/or Rock Pikmin, Officer Howard, another ARMS character, a whole host of Zelda characters, someone from Advance Wars and so on.

They're not all too terribly exciting (if FE reached back to Lyn or El I'd be ecstatic however) but YMMV but there's enough to pick from if you've been paying attention to Nintendo's output so far.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
I can't decide if I want the winged knight pawn from Knight Move as a newcomer or not. As one of Diskun's moves perhaps? I'm writing the last one because if you look at the game image on the top left, it has Diskun.
1694384324142.png

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I'm still in the camp of wanting Sora to come back next game and for said next game to feature newcomers from Fortnite and Super robot wars.

So we would have a crossover battle between the biggest crossover games in gaming.
I think Fortnite it's a likely candidate, unless somehow the game stops making money by the time the next game's DLC is decided.
Fortnite is 7 years old (it's really been that long since 2017...wow.) at this point and has become an important IP in gaming, even if you don't like Fortnite, i think it has earned it's spot to get a playable character.
A Fortnite inclusion will also likely bring some new players to Smash, with how big the fanbase is.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Alright, so, this may seem like a really obvious question to ask, but I wanted to just put this forward in a much more direct manner and see what ppl say.

For now this is what I see as very likely:
First party
-Meowscarada
: Others have already mentioned it, you need a new Pokémon rep, it's just that big. And as of right now, Meowscarada is imo the frontrunner, it got huge moveset potential, is very popular, it will be the first gen 9 mon of Unite, and it will scratch the itch of those who wanted a solo grass starter.
-Octoling: I'm not sure if they're going to do Octoling as an echo or a semi clone, but I'm sure they'll throw it in there, it just seems way too obvious with how big Splatoon is and it probably wouldn't take that much development time.
-Tom Nook: Like Spen18 said, this one is often slept on, but with how big New Horizons I actually think he's a front runner.
-Mio: Xenoblade 3 was pretty big and we know Sakurai loves jrpg stuff, I'm sure if he's back he's going to heavily considered her. If Sakurai isn't back her chances might be a bit lower, but I still think she have a decent shot either way.
-Sidon: The community is dying for more Zelda character, and Sidon is really popular right now. Would make a lot of sense considering the succes of Totk.
-Waluigi and/or King Boo: Yes I'm unironically predicting Waluigi. Sure nothing as really change for his cases, but he's still a huge request so maybe they'll do it this time? Also King boo as another Mario rep because Luigi mansion 3 was absolutely massive (16th best selling Switch game).
-Bandana Dee: Not gonna lie, I was never confident in his chances back in the Ultimate era, but with the big succes of Forgotten land and his roles becoming bigger in each game, I think his chances are now way better.

Third party:
-Crash Bandicoot
: Huge request, and I actually think that him being soon (most likely) a Microsoft characters will help his cases a lot
-Jill Valentine and/or Leon Kennedy and/or Chris Redfield and/or Claire Redfield: Yeah not sure how they'll pull it off (Echo fighters, Skins like Hero), but I'm confident we could have at least one or maybe multiple RE characters. The franchise is absolutely massive with Village and 4 remake, and Capcom seems very easy to deal with. Honorable mentions to Dante and the Monster hunter, but I think RE is the most likely.
-Something from Sega: Could be a second Sonic rep or Arle, but I could also see Ichiban Kasuga or Alis Landale as a dark hose pick.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The question was about people we'd absolutely see in the next game.
Which is what I answered. Everyone throw names at me, but when I read them, I'm like.

"Are they really going to be added next game? Do I see them doing that?" and I'm like "I don't know"

Which is exactly what I said "I have absolutely no Idea" because PERSONALLY (again, felt like y'all took one part of the post, without realizing what I was answering to) I legit don't see much first party happening as in "yeah I totally see them next game"

I hope you realize that almost 90% of the base game newcomers since Brawl have been first party.
Maths ain't mathing bro.

In smash 4, it was 21 Newcomers for 5 Third party counting DLC. For a total of indeed 90% first party
In smash ultimate it was 24 Newcomers for 10 Third parties counting DLC so that DROP QUICKLY to 60%

Would be cool to see each step each game instead of just throwing numbers.

I genuinely think we'll see the trend of smash slowly reserving first party to base game, but increasing DLC, or guests, like how Ultimate did

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I still Jigglypuff's paradox form would make a perfect echo fighter. Since this is the first time (As far as i'm aware) that a Pokemon playable in smash has a new fancy form theyve been giving to older Pokemon in current games.

I think Fortnite it's a likely candidate, unless somehow the game stops making money by the time the next game's DLC is decided.
Fortnite is 7 years old (it's really been that long since 2017...wow.) at this point and has become an important IP in gaming, even if you don't like Fortnite, i think it has earned it's spot to get a playable character.
A Fortnite inclusion will also likely bring some new players to Smash, with how big the fanbase is.
I also think Super robot wars could use the exposure now that the series has gone global
It definitely has the "Legacy" factor that you would need for a smash appearance i feel, with it predating King of fighters, Kingdom hearts and even Smash bros in the realm of "Crossover game that uses the various IP's the parent company owns in a cool way"

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Toad and Captain Toad are outright different characters with different unique abilities. And this isn't even related to the "one chooses not to jump" generally(which mind you, unlike Sonic's swimming, is barely shown to even allow him to jump... and it was just to grab a quick pipe while still being disallowed in his core portrayal. Sonic swims in multiple instances without issues, showing he can. It's not a defining trait so much as inconsistent trait. Sonic still doesn't get to be allowed to swim in Smash, so stuff like that is more likely to be treated as important). On the other side, this also means a moveset that doesn't involve regular jumping would make for a good take on Captain Toad.

Toad on the other hand has been in tons of games(though he hasn't been in the first game. That's just a generic Toad Guard. The main Toad debuted in SMB2USA, after all). And his problem is the opposite, as there's almost nothing he's strictly done himself. Combined being confused with the regular Toad species, well. That, and you have him or his species being a Guard for Peach's moveset, which means it's not really that likely he'd be an easy choice. That said, he's very associated with selling items more than any other character(though it's not clear if that's him in SMB3 or some generic Toads. Colors have been inconsistent), even if it might be somewhat by proxy, so using item power-ups as a core moveset idea works fairly well. Besides that, playable Toads in general tend to use power-ups as well. And that's a moveset that doesn't exist in Smash in the Mario franchise.

Whereas Captain Toad would show off his skills with some puzzle-related stuff, being the character who can't jump but finds a way around it, and have a general cool design, Toad takes the opposite with using power-ups and items in a way nobody else does. I guess you could say Toad kind of would be almost like Link, focusing on the item/weapon factor.

And they don't even overlap with others. Waluigi isn't an item fiend, but has all kinds of unique talents and if anything, has a bit more to do with Sports too. Paper Mario has tons of different unique abilities before even reusing some Items from previous games(like the Stone Cap as a Tanooki Suit replacement). That's kind of important to note in how all 4 characters I mentioned have something different to bring to the table. Do note I'm not sure if anybody made a full-blown Captain Toad moveset that has him being unable to Jump at all(or it's so low it's effectively not there), or even one that isn't a composite with Toad. I think he does have one, but it's been ages.

Looking at it, about the only one that I can't see as unique would be some kind of Echo. Like Metal Mario or Boshi. Gooigi has enough potential to use different Poltergust moves or other LM stuff.

There's obviously tons of others, like Pauline(though also a DK character), King Boo, and you got other generic mooks that you could do things with. Really, the options are pretty rich~

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
The question was about people we'd absolutely see in the next game.
Which is what I answered. Everyone throw names at me, but when I read them, I'm like.

"Are they really going to be added next game? Do I see them doing that?" and I'm like "I don't know"

Which is exactly what I said "I have absolutely no Idea" because PERSONALLY (again, felt like y'all took one part of the post, without realizing what I was answering to) I legit don't see much first party happening as in "yeah I totally see them next game"

Maths ain't mathing bro.

In smash 4, it was 21 Newcomers for 5 Third party counting DLC. For a total of indeed 90% first party
In smash ultimate it was 24 Newcomers for 10 Third parties counting DLC so that DROP QUICKLY to 60%

Would be cool to see each step each game instead of just throwing numbers.

I genuinely think we'll see the trend of smash slowly reserving first party to base game, but increasing DLC, or guests, like how Ultimate did
I wouldn't be surprised if the DLC next game is mostly returning vets and 3rd party characters.

I also think Super robot wars could use the exposure now that the series has gone global
It definitely has the "Legacy" factor that you would need for a smash appearance i feel, with it predating King of fighters, Kingdom hearts and even Smash bros in the realm of "Crossover game that uses the various IP's the parent company owns in a cool way"
Sure, why not.
We already have a Kingdom Hearts rep, so there's really nothing that could potentially stop the inclusion of the OCs of SRW as playable characters, unless they don't have original music or stage.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Toad and Captain Toad are outright different characters with different unique abilities. And this isn't even related to the "one chooses not to jump" generally(which mind you, unlike Sonic's swimming, is barely shown to even allow him to jump... and it was just to grab a quick pipe while still being disallowed in his core portrayal. Sonic swims in multiple instances without issues, showing he can. It's not a defining trait so much as inconsistent trait. Sonic still doesn't get to be allowed to swim in Smash, so stuff like that is more likely to be treated as important). On the other side, this also means a moveset that doesn't involve regular jumping would make for a good take on Captain Toad.

Toad on the other hand has been in tons of games(though he hasn't been in the first game. That's just a generic Toad Guard. The main Toad debuted in SMB2USA, after all). And his problem is the opposite, as there's almost nothing he's strictly done himself. Combined being confused with the regular Toad species, well. That, and you have him or his species being a Guard for Peach's moveset, which means it's not really that likely he'd be an easy choice. That said, he's very associated with selling items more than any other character(though it's not clear if that's him in SMB3 or some generic Toads. Colors have been inconsistent), even if it might be somewhat by proxy, so using item power-ups as a core moveset idea works fairly well. Besides that, playable Toads in general tend to use power-ups as well. And that's a moveset that doesn't exist in Smash in the Mario franchise.

Whereas Captain Toad would show off his skills with some puzzle-related stuff, being the character who can't jump but finds a way around it, and have a general cool design, Toad takes the opposite with using power-ups and items in a way nobody else does. I guess you could say Toad kind of would be almost like Link, focusing on the item/weapon factor.

And they don't even overlap with others. Waluigi isn't an item fiend, but has all kinds of unique talents and if anything, has a bit more to do with Sports too. Paper Mario has tons of different unique abilities before even reusing some Items from previous games(like the Stone Cap as a Tanooki Suit replacement). That's kind of important to note in how all 4 characters I mentioned have something different to bring to the table. Do note I'm not sure if anybody made a full-blown Captain Toad moveset that has him being unable to Jump at all(or it's so low it's effectively not there), or even one that isn't a composite with Toad. I think he does have one, but it's been ages.

Looking at it, about the only one that I can't see as unique would be some kind of Echo. Like Metal Mario or Boshi. Gooigi has enough potential to use different Poltergust moves or other LM stuff.

There's obviously tons of others, like Pauline(though also a DK character), King Boo, and you got other generic mooks that you could do things with. Really, the options are pretty rich~
So, when has Sonic been able to swim in the past? Not doubting you, just curious.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
i got bored and ran the numbers on this, no disrespect meant btw just purely out of my own interest

sm4sh introduced 17 base-game newcomers (if we count the miis as seperate characters), of which 15 were first party
ultimate introduced 10 base-game newcomers (if we count echoes as seperate characters) of which 6 were first party

in total that's 21/27, or 77.7% reoccuring, so 77.7% of the base game newcomers since brawl have been first party

(feels good to do a brain teaser lol)

random side note but 20.2% of ultimate's entire cast are third-party
Maths ain't mathing bro.

In smash ultimate it was 24 Newcomers for 13 Third parties counting DLC so that DROP QUICKLY to 50%

Would be cool to see each step each game instead of just throwing numbers
Don't think I didn't calculate it myself before posting. I knew someone would try to fact-check something like this.

I wasn't counting Echoes. I was going by Ult's fighter numbers. Maybe should've said that explicitly.

And I did explicitly say base game newcomers.

Brawl 16/18 ~89%
4 13/15 ~87%
Ult 5/6 ~83%

Overall 34/39 ~87%

I wouldn't put much stock in the percentage being a little lower for Ult because the number of newcomers was so small, and they were obviously going to have at least one third party.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Btw, mb,my own maths weren't mathing and confused number. (Team 3 AM here in the airport bored talking to y'all with a VPN cuz the airport wifi block websites)
But yeah, the ratio of Ult newcomers was 59% First party to 41% or so Third party counting DLC.

That's why I feel we might see a difference for next smash, where Third party slowly overcreep First party newcomers counting DLC and how they're more common and basically the breath and life of Fighting Games.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I wrote about this before a long time ago and some people who liked me responded that we need new four-legged characters that aren't cartoonish. In this particular case the Black Panther and of course to write quadruped I definitely do NOT mean the MARVEL superhero, I mean the cybernetic Black Panther from Konami's Black Panther arcade video game. But the thing is, I don't know of any other four-legged video game characters that don't look at all cartoonish, except Black Panther.
1694385691777.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, when has Sonic been able to swim in the past? Not doubting you, just curious.
He's actually able to mildly swim in Sonic X, and swims in any of the Olympics games or other type of mini-game selection where it's required.

Basically, while it's a notable trait, they gladly will throw it away for the sake of logic. Smash isn't an Olympics games, either. That's why he drowns in later games(and floated for a short time before immediately dropping before the drowning animations). Basically, we don't really see instances of this being defied for Captain Toad in general. But it's also an important trait that's specific to his core gameplay, so it'd be silly to completely remove it when trying to make him interesting for Smash. That, and Sonic's inability to swim is more of a side note and doesn't define his gameplay that often, as water levels, while existing, is just basically a slowed down version. If they used the concept to give him alternate routes in general, it might be more notable. It's only the media adaptions that even treat it as reasonably important instead of a minor footnote.

This could easily change in time, though. Captain Toad having a new game that doesn't focus on no-jumping could easily happen. It's just kind of the reason his gameplay even works(currently). While there's no denying Sonic doesn't swim plays a role, it's not so important that they don't constantly remove the concept at all. In many 3D games he doesn't go through water much at all beyond a slight moment. Whereas other characters do swim. Shadow is treated no differently from Sonic, while having no reason by that point. Only 2D games even make it kind of notable nowadays, and that's mostly so the characters don't play identically(which doesn't even stay the case all the time, sadly).

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He's actually able to mildly swim in Sonic X, and swims in any of the Olympics games or other type of mini-game selection where it's required.

Basically, while it's a notable trait, they gladly will throw it away for the sake of logic. Smash isn't an Olympics games, either. That's why he drowns in later games(and floated for a short time before immediately dropping before the drowning animations). Basically, we don't really see instances of this being defied for Captain Toad in general. But it's also an important trait that's specific to his core gameplay, so it'd be silly to completely remove it when trying to make him interesting for Smash. That, and Sonic's inability to swim is more of a side note and doesn't define his gameplay that often, as water levels, while existing, is just basically a slowed down version. If they used the concept to give him alternate routes in general, it might be more notable. It's only the media adaptions that even treat it as reasonably important instead of a minor footnote.

This could easily change in time, though. Captain Toad having a new game that doesn't focus on no-jumping could easily happen. It's just kind of the reason his gameplay even works(currently). While there's no denying Sonic doesn't swim plays a role, it's not so important that they don't constantly remove the concept at all. In many 3D games he doesn't go through water much at all beyond a slight moment. Whereas other characters do swim. Shadow is treated no differently from Sonic, while having no reason by that point. Only 2D games even make it kind of notable nowadays, and that's mostly so the characters don't play identically(which doesn't even stay the case all the time, sadly).
I see. Doesn't he have a life vest int he Olympic Games, though?

Also, even though you say he can swim, which I still don't doubt; how much you want to bet he still hates the water? :p

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I see. Doesn't he have a life vest int he Olympic Games, though?

Also, even though you say he can swim, which I still don't doubt; how much you want to bet he still hates the water? :p
I mean, whatever helps him swim. He was still able to do so in Sonic X. More the point is that they are fine with working around it anyway(and it's more a visual work around, as the characters don't have differences besides slight stat ones).

Sonic can definitely swim he just has aquaphobia.
Sometimes he has aquaphobia because he can't swim. It does actually vary. Overall, it's best to treat this trait as inconsistent. Not all characters have that luxury of being used in enough different ways that a so-called trait isn't nearly as important as it could be. Smash treats it as mildly important at best.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Btw, mb,my own maths weren't mathing and confused number. (Team 3 AM here in the airport bored talking to y'all with a VPN cuz the airport wifi block websites)
But yeah, the ratio of Ult newcomers was 59% First party to 41% or so Third party counting DLC.

That's why I feel we might see a difference for next smash, where Third party slowly overcreep First party newcomers counting DLC and how they're more common and basically the breath and life of Fighting Games.
I'm not sure if i'll be next game, but i think at some point 3rd party newcomers will become the norm and 1st party newcomers will be more sporadic, i think smash bros will slowly change into a celebration of gaming.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I feel like it's kind of weird that everyone makes fun of Sonic for not being able to swim and actually drowning underwater, when it's infinitely weirder that Mario can hold his breath presumably indefinately in some games whilst in other games his literal life force is sapped so long as he's doing so

Stratos

Smash Ace
The main protagonist of the Alone in the Dark series, Edward Carnby, has various appearances in each game of the series, and I think that if he ever comes as a newcomer to future Super Smash Bros games, these appearances will be his alternate costumes as well. Here are the appearances of Edward Carnby:

Alone in the Dark 1
1694387331629.png

Alone in the Dark 2
1694387408593.png

Alone in the Dark 3
1694387464711.png

Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (alternatively and internally known as Alone in the Dark 4)
1694387580257.png

Alone in the Dark (2008)
1694387736256.png

Alone in the Dark (2024)
1694387850811.png

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I feel like it's kind of weird that everyone makes fun of Sonic for not being able to swim and actually drowning underwater, when it's infinitely weirder that Mario can hold his breath presumably indefinately in some games whilst in other games his literal life force is sapped so long as he's doing so
I mean, nobody was comparing the two before. I don't think we're really making fun of it, though? Just observing the oddities of the games.

Mario also had levels that only had water and is from a known magical place called the Mushroom Kingdom for most games. Sonic however is far less magic-based and Robotnik does go out of his way to pollute the waters. Basically, they're set up quite a bit differently in their messages. Mario is just a fun and odd place where magic is everywhere(constantly referenced even in the first manual), whereas Sonic is sending an environmental message. It makes a bit more sense water is played realistically as the story fits better that way.

Super Mario 64 is a true outlier, though. Whereas Galaxy and Odyssey take place outside of the Mushroom Kingdom(as does sometimes Paper Mario), SM64 just suddenly added it. But it also added a far more notable health meter that was easy to restore, something that wasn't really a thing outside of SMB2USA and the RPG's, respectively. So it's more to say it's a new gameplay idea. Sonic on the other hand did it so watery levels were just pitfalls outside of a select few characters, and only in certain games.

This isn't saying it was handled well or not, etc. But yeah, they both went different directions and rules too. Even then, they generally worked the same way. Sonic drops like a rock in water, even if it's just a pit. Mario can swim in water, outside of a few rare cases it's a pit/damaging water. They didn't really change much besides the breathing factor, which basically got reversed. And only somewhat. Rouge and Knuckles have limited breath too, so Sonic didn't change much. It is odd how Mario only changed for one game in the Mushroom Kingdom and that's... it. But with how ridiculously often it tries new gameplay ideas, it's not that odd?

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

I'm mostly going to make this a wishlist, but for this I'm going to explain how I see each character working in Smash.
  • Waluigi: Let's be real, he might as well get in at this point. The joke ofhim being an AT and nothing else is just tired at this point, and I say this as someone who doesn't even massively support him compared to his other fans. Given how many spin-offs he's appeared in, there's a wide variety of movesets you could craft for him but, ideally, I see him pulling material from as many Mario sub-series he's appeared in as possible.
  • Pauline: With how much Nintendo has been pushing her since the Switch era, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed her for Smash, too. And for good reason; she was one of the three characters in the original Donkey Kong, one of the most culturally significant video games ever, and that same influence came back in Odyssey, where her popularity skyrocketed. For her hypothetical moveset, I could see her pulling from Odyssey, the original Donkey Kong, and (forgive me if I'm walking into a mine field) Mario vs. Donkey Kong.
  • Dixie Kong: I dunno when DK's standalone series will be relevant again, but after the positive response to King K. Rool's return, I think it's pretty fair to give another DK character a shot. I went with Dixie Kong for the sake of having her as a Diddy Kong Echo with a few moves changed around (notably, blowing a bubblegum projectile as her neutral special and borrowing Donkey Kong's up special).
  • Another Zelda rep: I don't care who, I don't care how they'd play, I'd gladly gut both Link clones for at least one new Zelda newcomer. And while we're at it, I concur when I say Ganondorf should be based on TotK as well.
  • Raven Beak: MP4 be damned, Raven Beak is simply one of the best Nintendo villains in recent memory and a damn good final boss to boot. His boss battle alone provides tons of moveset potential, but we can also make him interesting by giving him an Aeion gauge that grants more powerful versions of his special moves.
  • Bandana Waddle Dee: Just like with Waluigi, I say it's high time BWD finally makes his Smash debut, especially with Forgotten Land doing so well. That being said, I see him being a stance fighter who switches between his Spear (fast attacks that do low amounts on their own, but rack up damage in the blink of an eye) and his Parasol (slower, stronger attacks meant for finishing off opponents at the opportune moments).
  • Alear: Now, I'm sure Engage has pretty much worn out its time in the limelight, but I wanted to at least humor Alear for a moment. At first, I had no clue how you could make the Engage mechanic work in Smash without it feeling ham-fisted, if that makes any sense, so I decided to watch a playthrough on YouTube. After watching the playthrough in full, Alear becoming the 13th Emblem near the end of the game was how I finally figured it out: as the 13th Emblem, Alear can Engage with any unit in the game. Ergo, for Smash, Alear's Engage Mode can have them summoning Alfred, Diamant, Timerra and Ivy during the Engage version of their specials.
  • Noah & Mio: As they're both the main characters of Xenoblade Chronicles 3, I figure they both deserve a shot at being playable. The only question is how to translate XBC3's gameplay into Smash, but I do at least know that Noah could use the Arts of the Swordfighter, Medic Gunner and Heavy Guard classes, while Mio could use the Arts of the Zephyr, Tactician and Ogre classes.
  • Ring Fit Trainee: Contrary to popular belief, Wii Fit and Ring Fit are two totally different games and so Ring Fit Trainee would not work as a Wii Fit Trainer Echo at all. That is all.
  • Dr. Eggman: After Sephiroth, I figured Eggman is the next logical step for a video game villain as famous as he is. There are so many boss fights and other appearances you could base the moveset on, but my idea was to have him be another stance fighter. One stance would be Eggman in the Egg Mobile using gadgets from his various boss battles, and the other stance could be him on foot, summoning Badniks to do his dirty work.
  • Chun-Li: Yet another culturally significant character, this time we're dealing with the self-proclaimed "Strongest Woman in the World". Her Smash moveset is practically tailor-made on paper, but I figured she could be specifically based on 3rd Strike with moves from other Street Fighter games sprinkled in for good measure.
  • Rayman: After the Phantom Show DLC for Mario + Rabbids, I guess one could say there's still a Spark of Hope for Rayman to become relevant again. Eh? Eh? As for his moveset, Origins and Legends pretty much have the basic attacks written out for him.
  • Geno
  • The obligatory Pokemon
  • Whatever FE character is currently relevant
  • Crash Bandicoot

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What's funny is that Sonic isn't consistent about aquatic abilities either. Colors gives him an infinite jump in water, funilly making those levels some of the most laid back ones in game.
I mean, he could jump in water as long as it was platformable. XD That's not as odd as them treating water sometimes like a pit instead of a giant pool.

It's weird either way.

Though that said, I need to try and test(using a Character Swap Mod) how Sonic reacts in some levels with swimmable water in Sonic Adventure 2. Everyone just stands in the sections in the Chao Garden, but that isn't high water either). My guess is he sinks like a rock anyway? Albeit, water wasn't nearly as notable till they decided to make Rouge to fill out the roster. Knuckles had two water areas(Aquatic Mine and his section of the Final Level). That'd be neat if Sonic had unused animations or something.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I wrote about this before a long time ago and some people who liked me responded that we need new four-legged characters that aren't cartoonish. In this particular case the Black Panther and of course to write quadruped I definitely do NOT mean the MARVEL superhero, I mean the cybernetic Black Panther from Konami's Black Panther arcade video game. But the thing is, I don't know of any other four-legged video game characters that don't look at all cartoonish, except Black Panther.
View attachment 377501
For a 4 legged not cartoonish characters, there's Motaro from Mortal kombat.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
View attachment 377501
Not going to lie, my FAVOURITE type of fighters are ones who are just STRAIGHT UP animals, creatures, and monsters.

Just going around attacking like a savage beast!

Here's some I can think of:
  • Bull Shark (Maneater)
  • Monster (Carrion)
  • Rajang (Monster Hunter)
  • T-Rex (Fossil Fighters)
  • Omega Metroid (Metroid)

Top Bottom