• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
I still like the Castlevania series, it's amazing that it has all the known monsters from mythologies and novels or almost all, they didn't skip the Gill-man (I mean merman) kind, the monster from the movie Creature from the Black Lagoon, though I wish there were more familiar monsters in the Castlevania series, ie Nessie (Loch Ness Monster), Sasquatch (Bigfoot), Bogeyman, Yuki-onna, Oni, carnivorous horses (based on the Horses of Diomedes), stymphali birds and Charybdis. Of course I was also thinking about an monster lion species (based on the Nemean Lion) although I don't think I would really want that. But in general I would like more Castlevania games to continue.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I still like the Castlevania series, it's amazing that it has all the known monsters from mythologies and novels or almost all, they didn't skip the Gill-man (I mean merman) kind, the monster from the movie Creature from the Black Lagoon, though I wish there were more familiar monsters in the Castlevania series, ie Nessie (Loch Ness Monster), Sasquatch (Bigfoot), Bogeyman, Yuki-onna, Oni, carnivorous horses (based on the Horses of Diomedes), stymphali birds and Charybdis. Of course I was also thinking about an monster lion species (based on the Nemean Lion) although I don't think I would really want that. But in general I would like more Castlevania games to continue.
i’ll have you know nessie is the sweetest water monster in the world

Stratos

Smash Ace
One more monster I forgot to add is the Kraken.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Nooo, lol this guy. Yeah grain of salt seems almost too generous.
I've dealt with him heavily. Oddly some of his information was reasonably credible in itself, it's just how he presented it that was dumb.

His speculation is basically leaking information but not being allowed to give the actual information much at all. Obviously not every leaker wants all the information public, and that's fine. ...Fatmanonice effectively made it public by talking about it in a roundabout fashion. So basically, it's not credibility so much as "horrid practices".

Also, due to him acting like that, I'm going to guess he no longer gets actual leaks anymore since he abused their nature to gain credibility, making him an unreliable person to go through. That's why I don't think any of the information he now knows is likely to be real. If it's real, it'd be from years part, but the Sora amiibo would've been in talks likely well after Fatmanoice royally screwed up, so I highly doubt he could have real information.

On the other hand, this could be a case of him looking at not leaks, but patterns(if he was no longer trusted), and came up with this conclusion. But why would there be evidence of a Sora amiibo existing without a leak? I do agree with you to not even bother with this guy, it's just way more complicated than a case of credibility. I hope that explains it a bit better.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
That guy? He came up with that? Sound like he is desperate for attention, if you ask me.
More specifically, it's this bit of the speculation post/leak that mentions him
-Smash Amiibo tend to be stocked, on average, 16 days from the restock to their reveal (Fatmanonice's research). 16 days from now would be September 13th, the probable date of the direct.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The Yuki-Onna is technically in Castlevania. Not in the traditional sense, but the Frozen Shade can be considered based on the Yuki-Onna, since it mentions the Shade was originally a innocent woman who froze to death, similarly to the Yuki-Onna. And their Circle of the Moon design depicts them with more traditional garb compared to their common depiction in Castlevania.
As for Sasquatch, it depends on whether you consider the Yeti in Dawn of Sorrow/Order of Ecclesia to be Bigfoot/Sasquatch, since the Yeti in DoS/OoE looks much more like Bigfoot than it does an actual Yeti.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
More specifically, it's this bit of the speculation post/leak that mentions him
Well, he is a bad leaker to me since not only does he get things wrong, but as Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth said, he presents his info badly. But as long as it is not about Geno, since he can be credible at times, I will give what he said a try.

So, if Smash news is a coming, does that mean news of the new Nintendo system will show, too?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even that said, a Sora amiibo being announced in a Nintendo direct this upcoming month is not even hard to believe. Though yeah, I think it's better to say is that he took real information and tried to twist it around leading into Geno(from what I remember. This is one detail I'm not entirely remembering well) at times, which made things way worse.

But also, yes, poor information handling.

I think we might still be waiting for a new system. Like a direct either near the end of this year or early start next year. Switch is doing still quite well, and they have stuff like TOTK to milk a lot out of first.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Even that said, a Sora amiibo being announced in a Nintendo direct this upcoming month is not even hard to believe. Though yeah, I think it's better to say is that he took real information and tried to twist it around leading into Geno(from what I remember. This is one detail I'm not entirely remembering well) at times, which made things way worse.

But also, yes, poor information handling.

I think we might still be waiting for a new system. Like a direct either near the end of this year or early start next year. Switch is doing still quite well, and they have stuff like TOTK to milk a lot out of first.
Yeah, he was pretty much taking advantage of the Geno fans who believed and trusted him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, he was pretty much taking advantage of the Geno fans who believed and trusted him.
Which is why I'd be surprised if he ever had leakers talk to him at all again.

That said, the Rayman DLC releases today for the Mario & Rabbids game. His fist when punching has some new sparkling trails. That's really neat. If he does get in, I hope they add cool things from the newer games too. He's a silly guy, so more flashiness is perfect to compliment him~

Or at least give these attentions to his AT if that returns instead.

Stratos

Smash Ace
The Yuki-Onna is technically in Castlevania. Not in the traditional sense, but the Frozen Shade can be considered based on the Yuki-Onna, since it mentions the Shade was originally a innocent woman who froze to death, similarly to the Yuki-Onna. And their Circle of the Moon design depicts them with more traditional garb compared to their common depiction in Castlevania.
As for Sasquatch, it depends on whether you consider the Yeti in Dawn of Sorrow/Order of Ecclesia to be Bigfoot/Sasquatch, since the Yeti in DoS/OoE looks much more like Bigfoot than it does an actual Yeti.
You are right, but the other monsters I mentioned Nessie (Loch Ness Monster), Bogeyman, Oni, carnivorous horses (based on the Horses of Diomedes), stymphali birds, Charybdis and kraken and maybe those lion monsters (based on the Nemean Lion) which I'm not at all sure I'd like haven't been put in yet. If they decide to make new Castlevania series games, I would like them to add those as well, so the Castlevania series would have the other familiar monsters.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
What 3rd party characters do you think are the most likely to join next game?
I think a Tales and Guilty Gear rep are up there.

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Who's Fatmanonice again? I wasn't active on here until early 2020 (I had nothing better to do during lockdown lol), but I watched a lot of speculation videos and looked into some stuff with friends (or, well, friend), and the name rings a bell, and not in a good way.

The thing is, if this was just presented as speculation without their name attached, I'd honestly say it's worth considering. Nintendo clearly doesn't have much planned between Mario RPG and the next console, other than the Peach game (which feels vaguely unimportant with how casually they announced it), ports, and switch online stuff. Nintendo would want to stay in the media and public consciousness in the lead-up to a new console, and new smash reveals would be a great way of doing that, with next to no effort from their major teams.

I don't think it's happening, but, for the first time since Sora, it feels to me like there's a (very) small chance (like, 0.01% or whatever) of there being new smash content. As soon as the Mario Kart DLC was announced I realised that Nintendo must have at least considered making more smash DLC. It's basically free money. And now that it's pretty much over, they'll almost certainly want something similar to fill the gap until the next console.

I'm not sure if there's any way to check, but it would be interesting to see what the smash DLC team at Namco are working on right now. I'd assume Tekken 8, but that was in development before the smash DLC ended, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, if anyone gets their hopes up over this they're just setting themselves up for disappointment. I want it to be true as much as anyone else, but I think expecting something like this is a huge mistake.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I guess the most likely characters:

Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim series)
Bomberman (Bomberman series)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
Jin Kazama (Tekken series)
Agumon (Digimon series)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot series)
Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon series)
Abe (Oddworld series)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)
Professor Hershel Layton (Professor Layton series)
Siegfried Schtauffen (Soulcalibur series)
Nightmare (Soulcalibur series)
Rayman (Rayman series)
Dante (Devil May Cry series)
Chrono (Chrono series)
Doomguy (Doom series)
Master Chief (Halo series)
Cuphead (Cuphead)

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I guess the most likely characters:

Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim series)
Bomberman (Bomberman series)
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat series)
Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
Jin Kazama (Tekken series)
Agumon (Digimon series)
Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot series)
Spyro the Dragon (Spyro the Dragon series)
Abe (Oddworld series)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden series)
Professor Hershel Layton (Professor Layton series)
Siegfried Schtauffen (Soulcalibur series)
Rayman (Rayman series)
Dante (Devil May Cry series)
Chrono (Chrono series)
Doomguy (Doom series)
Master Chief (Halo series)
Cuphead (Cuphead)
I think Geno is up there too because of the upcoming remake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That said, looking at it, uh... why would we be getting anything Smash this fast? A new console isn't that likely to be revealed(though Smash being one of the first announcements is legitimately possible).

Sora amiibo coming up, yeah, that's not hard to say. But that's all it would really be. Basic necessary update to add it, amiibo itself, and maybe some noted restocks. There's really not much worth noting because anybody still thinking we're getting actual new DLC proper for Smash Ultimate hasn't gotten the memo the game is absolutely finished. amiibo doesn't count since it's a merchandise item and every character would get an amiibo well after the game is finished if any are left. Nor a patch to actually use said information.

So this is, uh, leading to nothing. It's one thing to speculate a new Smash could be coming(I mean, pattern observation and all) if a new console would be announced. But new Smash Ultimate DLC? Oy vey.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I think Geno is up there too because of the upcoming remake.
Geno made his debut in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, a game in the Mario franchise, so shouldn't he actually be considered a 1st or at least 2nd party character?

Laniv

Smash Champion
That said, looking at it, uh... why would we be getting anything Smash this fast? A new console isn't that likely to be revealed(though Smash being one of the first announcements is legitimately possible).

Sora amiibo coming up, yeah, that's not hard to say. But that's all it would really be. Basic necessary update to add it, amiibo itself, and maybe some noted restocks. There's really not much worth noting because anybody still thinking we're getting actual new DLC proper for Smash Ultimate hasn't gotten the memo the game is absolutely finished. amiibo doesn't count since it's a merchandise item and every character would get an amiibo well after the game is finished if any are left. Nor a patch to actually use said information.

So this is, uh, leading to nothing. It's one thing to speculate a new Smash could be coming(I mean, pattern observation and all) if a new console would be announced. But new Smash Ultimate DLC? Oy vey.
I do remember that the last update for Smash 4 was one that added amiibo support for Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta, and nothing else. I'm thinking we may get a repeat of that.

Geno made his debut in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, a game in the Mario franchise, so shouldn't he actually be considered a 1st or at least 2nd party character?
See, Geno (and Mallow, by extension) is in a weird spot where he is a Mario character, but he's not owned by Nintendo, instead being owned by Square-Enix. So technically, he is a third party character... I think.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I was wondering why we’d get some Smash Bros. Stuff this fast myself. For a lack of a better word, this leak thing of a new Smash feels forced.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He's owned completely by Square-Enix. He's third party overall. The franchise isn't what determines a character's licensing. The most that could be argued is 2nd party for a co-owned character, but it's as much as a licensing hassle as a 3rd party can be at times. Pokemon is notorious for having its companies who own it not allow even decent proper costumes. Even the main games can suffer from it with horribly Shiny colors(slightly different shades).

Regardless of what you want to count Pokemon as, Geno is absolutely 3rd party. He appears to be one where he can't appear outside of Nintendo games, though, due to being a Mario character. While Nintendo doesn't own the character, they appear to have control over appearances(or at least must be talked to first). Unlike, say, Sora, who Disney can do whatever they want with, because he was wholesale made for his own franchise. SE is usually talked to about it for appearances, but aren't required.

See, Geno (and Mallow, by extension) is in a weird spot where he is a Mario character, but he's not owned by Nintendo, instead being owned by Square-Enix. So technically, he is a third party character... I think.
100% third party.

I was wondering why we’d get some Smash Bros. Stuff this fast myself. For a lack of a better word, this leak thing of a new Smash feels forced.
I'm wondering if the leak is true, but the timing is off for the rest. Also, I think the speculation is moreso that we'll get massive Smash stuff fast, instead of what's actually happening(that is, amiibo restock, Sora amiibo, normal patch, these all seem completely normal).

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Who's Fatmanonice again? I wasn't active on here until early 2020 (I had nothing better to do during lockdown lol), but I watched a lot of speculation videos and looked into some stuff with friends (or, well, friend), and the name rings a bell, and not in a good way.

The thing is, if this was just presented as speculation without their name attached, I'd honestly say it's worth considering. Nintendo clearly doesn't have much planned between Mario RPG and the next console, other than the Peach game (which feels vaguely unimportant with how casually they announced it), ports, and switch online stuff. Nintendo would want to stay in the media and public consciousness in the lead-up to a new console, and new smash reveals would be a great way of doing that, with next to no effort from their major teams.

I don't think it's happening, but, for the first time since Sora, it feels to me like there's a (very) small chance (like, 0.01% or whatever) of there being new smash content. As soon as the Mario Kart DLC was announced I realised that Nintendo must have at least considered making more smash DLC. It's basically free money. And now that it's pretty much over, they'll almost certainly want something similar to fill the gap until the next console.

I'm not sure if there's any way to check, but it would be interesting to see what the smash DLC team at Namco are working on right now. I'd assume Tekken 8, but that was in development before the smash DLC ended, so I'm not sure.

Anyway, if anyone gets their hopes up over this they're just setting themselves up for disappointment. I want it to be true as much as anyone else, but I think expecting something like this is a huge mistake.
Ok, after thinking about this for literally 2 seconds I've realised there's no chance of this happening lol. I'm ill and tired, and I saw that and my brain deliriously went "Oh yeah that'd be cool haha, hopefully that happens soon" without really thinking about it.

That said, if we did get some smash DLC or something, I'd be unbelievably happy.

Anyway, now that I've corrected myself, I'm off to hibernate until I don't feel like I'm about to die. Or until the mario direct. Whichever comes first.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
He's owned completely by Square-Enix. He's third party overall. The franchise isn't what determines a character's licensing. The most that could be argued is 2nd party for a co-owned character, but it's as much as a licensing hassle as a 3rd party can be at times. Pokemon is notorious for having its companies who own it not allow even decent proper costumes. Even the main games can suffer from it with horribly Shiny colors(slightly different shades).

Regardless of what you want to count Pokemon as, Geno is absolutely 3rd party. He appears to be one where he can't appear outside of Nintendo games, though, due to being a Mario character. While Nintendo doesn't own the character, they appear to have control over appearances(or at least must be talked to first). Unlike, say, Sora, who Disney can do whatever they want with, because he was wholesale made for his own franchise. SE is usually talked to about it for appearances, but aren't required.

100% third party.

I'm wondering if the leak is true, but the timing is off for the rest. Also, I think the speculation is moreso that we'll get massive Smash stuff fast, instead of what's actually happening(that is, amiibo restock, Sora amiibo, normal patch, these all seem completely normal).
I see. Still seems too soon to me.

Either there is something fishy about this, OR Sakurai has not much to do aside from Smash Bros. nowadays. (This part is a joke, by the way)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
You are right, but the other monsters I mentioned Nessie (Loch Ness Monster), Bogeyman, Oni, carnivorous horses (based on the Horses of Diomedes), stymphali birds, Charybdis and kraken and maybe those lion monsters (based on the Nemean Lion) which I'm not at all sure I'd like haven't been put in yet. If they decide to make new Castlevania series games, I would like them to add those as well, so the Castlevania series would have the other familiar monsters.
see that is a really odd mix. i mean nessie of all creatures doesn't belong in a horror game. you want the fuath

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Wait, what's going on with Fatmanonice? I'll admit, I'm a bit wary of him due to his role in the Geno fandom's... situation? Is that the word I'm looking for?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Wait, what's going on with Fatmanonice? I'll admit, I'm a bit wary of him due to his role in the Geno fandom's... situation? Is that the word I'm looking for?
Well...

Hello people, I really don't pass by this thread anymore, but I wanted to share some Smash speculation from a really close Discord partner.

It's a lot of info doh, so I'm gonna send a short summary first and then all the evidence they have found.

The summary is that practically with most of the major announcements or showcases at Directs and such, there tends to be a restock of related amiibo... and It seems some upcoming unnanounced restocks could be pointing to something Smash-related getting shown really soon if all this speculation turns out correct.

With that said, here's the evidence:
TLDR:
  • Smash is getting 2 waves of restocks, restocks has always connected to a announcement or release of a game, DLC, or content update.
  • Sora is meant to be getting a Amiibo revealed soon, new Amiibo announcements has, also, 100% always connected to a new release or announcement.
  • Sora's Amiibo code isn't in the game, despite them perfectly being able to 2 years ago, which implies if it's happening, they held off, which means it probably was for more Ultimate, so Nintendo could have new Smash Amiibo to sell during it.
  • The Gamecube Controller got restocked in Japan, last time that happened was with Vol. 2's reveal (3 weeks before)
  • The restocks aren't happening in America yet, since NoA is the global marketing center for Nintendo, that probably means they're holding off for a announcement.
  • Square Enix isn't marketing the SMRPG remake on social media, the last time they did that for a direct announcement was with DQ11S when it was revealed in the Feb 2019 direct, they only started marketing it a day before Hero's reveal.
  • Before the restocks, Papa heard that "Something more may be happening with Smash Ultimate", the timeframe of the report the source heard would of been June 2023.
  • Next gen isn't launching until Sep/Oct 2024, they wouldn't reveal a "Deluxe" or 6 a year out, that's more marketing than what Ultimate got.
  • The restocks being 2 waves implies it'll also be released, since restocks in waves has only happened with releases, the only thing we could possibly get revealed and release that quickly is more DLC
  • There isn't a bundle for Vol. 2 on the eShop
  • The MK8DX DLC is ending in September, meaning Nintendo is going to need to have new DLC waves to fill in that void
  • The German date for the restocks going on sale, Aug 28th, has past with no announcement from Nintendo.
  • Smash site updated, removing the accessories tab.
  • The restocks nor Sora Amiibo can be for NL23 (FAQ)

That's all I wanted to share, keep an eye throught September as maybe interesting stuff could happen (I for sure have that granted, because LEGO Marvel CMF 2 is coming out, yay!)

See ya'll another time.
He is mentioned in this post.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
I don't think we're getting anything smash related until the next nintendo console is revealed (and that's probably like 2-3 years away?).
I don't even susre if the Sora amiibo is happening tbh, but i'd be glad to be wrong in that, i think every fighter should have an amiibo.

And about Geno, if he's a newcomer next game i think he'll be a base roster adition than DLC.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I don't think we're getting anything smash related until the next nintendo console is revealed (and that's probably like 2-3 years away?).
I don't even susre if the Sora amiibo is happening tbh, but i'd be glad to be wrong in that, i think every fighter should have an amiibo.

And about Geno, if he's a newcomer next game i think he'll be a base roster adition than DLC.
What makes you think he'd be a base addition? I mean his owner, Square Enix, likes to do DLC more in games like these that they are involved in, do they not?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can see a late Sora Amiibo happening but a FP3 just strikes me as wishful thinking. A lot of the Mario Kart DLC was reused assets, it's significantly less work than making brand new characters and stages in Smash.
Besides that, Mario Kart's mobile version was effectively the MK9 of the group, too. After that started to wane, and the Switch is still going strong, it was easy to use some of it help bolster more Deluxe DLC. Without Tour, well... we wouldn't have nearly as much cool stuff for Deluxe. The mobile game really helped give us materials. Besides having some pretty cool character options too(Dr. Mario's mobile game also gave us some fun doctor versions). Like, the game's not for everyone and all(Gacha), but hot damn, it was a very nice thing to have in the end~

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Allow me to spread the good word of Nihon Falcom.

The prophet Perkilator Perkilator said in the ninth chapter of his book:
"There will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, will be filled with
Trails in the Sky
The people who walk in darkness will see a great
S-Craft that will shine on all who live in the land where death casts its shadow.
For Falcom will break the
obscurity that binds His people...
In that day of peace, battle gear will be
equipped within the game.
For a child is born to us, a
please buy Trails in the Sky whenever it’s $10 on Steam is given to us.
These will be His royal titles: Wonderful
Bracer, Mighty Class VII, Ys Queen of Peace.
He will rule forever with fairness and justice from the throne of His ancestor Adol. The
bulging commitment of the Lord Almighty will guarantee this!

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Allow me to spread the good word of Nihon Falcom.

The prophet Perkilator Perkilator said in the ninth chapter of his book:
"There will be a time in the future when Galilee of the Gentiles, will be filled with
Trails in the Sky
The people who walk in darkness will see a great
S-Craft that will shine on all who live in the land where death casts its shadow.
For Falcom will break the
obscurity that binds His people...
In that day of peace, battle gear will be
equipped within the game.
For a child is born to us, a
please buy Trails in the Sky whenever it’s $10 on Steam is given to us.
These will be His royal titles: Wonderful
Bracer, Mighty Class VII, Ys Queen of Peace.
He will rule forever with fairness and justice from the throne of His ancestor Adol. The
bulging commitment of the Lord Almighty will guarantee this!
I think a Falcom rep is quite likely as well (I think we'll get Ys first).
He might not be recognizable for some casual gamers, but it's not like that stoped Terry from joining.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While we are on the subject of new stuff, would an actual Nintendo Direct come soon after the Mario Wonder Direct, like next week? Because I am doubting that.

I know there was a Splatoon 3 Direct before the September Direct last year, but the former was on the 10th of August of that year, and like I said, I don't think a September Nintendo Direct would be so soon after the Mario Wonder one.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
While we are on the subject of new stuff, would an actual Nintendo Direct come soon after the Mario Wonder Direct, like next week? Because I am doubting that.

I know there was a Splatoon 3 Direct before the September Direct last year, but the former was on the 10th of August of that year, and like I said, I don't think a September Nintendo Direct would be so soon after the Mario Wonder one.
Probably a couple or so weeks, at least.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
As long as this isn't just completely in place of our usual Sept Direct proper, which it shouldn't be, this Wonder Direct might be a good sign that they have other stuff besides Wonder that is worth filling the Sept Direct time...one would hope, at least...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not really confident enough in anyone in particular to say they are likely but there are several characters I feel have a reasonable chance and are being overlooked.

Warning, lots of text:

I agree with you that Tales and Guilty Gear make a lot of sense to get something in Smash. For Tales, I think Lloyd is probably the most likely but I’m personally hoping for either Velvet Crowe or an Alphen/Shionne tag duo character. Guru Lowell could be awesome too and I’d love to see Repede somehow incorporated in his moveset. I think a sword fighter and dog companion could really make him stand out from all the others in Smash. For Guilty Gear, I think Sol Badguy is the obvious choice. I’d love to see him bring the cel shaded style into Smash, which could also be applied to others like Toon Link.

I feel like another Microsoft character has a great chance. There are a ton of great possible franchises that could all be solid additions. On one hand, you can go with overall gaming popularity and impact with characters like Master Chief, Doom Slayer, Arthas, or Kerrigan. They could also play up the old Sony/Nintendo rivalry with characters like Crash or Spyro or call back to Nintendo’s own history with another RARE character like Rash, Fulgore, or Joanna Dark.

Beyond Microsoft and Bandai-Namco,I feel like Capcom and SEGA could easily get another character in Smash. For SEGA, I feel the most likely option is another Sonic character like Eggman, Tails, Knuckles, or Shadow but we could easily get something else like a mainline Shin Megami Tensei character. For Capcom, I feel like the most likely option is Zero from Mega Man X but he’s far from the only option. Chun-Li, Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, or Leon Kennedy could easily make it as well.

Another Western franchise that has a decent chance is League of Legends. There are two RPGs on the Switch based in that universe and there are tons of great unique characters and gameplay styles to choose from. Each character could easily stand on their own but I think a duo character is also possible here. Both the main series and the Project L fighting game have a heavy emphasis on teamwork. Project L specifically has a variety of double team attacks when tagging in. There are a few pairings that could work great for this idea such as Ahri/Yasuo or Vi/Caitlyn. Vi/Jinx could also work since they at least teamed together at one point despite having a pretty bad breakup afterwards.

So far, we don’t have anyone from Koei-Tecmo. I feel the two most likely candidates here are Ryu Hyabusa from Ninja Gaiden and Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors. Ninja Gaiden was an iconic NES franchise and Warriors has had a ton of crossovers with Nintendo in recent years.

We could also potentially get something from a smaller developer with recent Nintendo history like NIS. Laharl or Etna from Disgaea would both be fun characters. One series that I’ve never really seen brought up is Borderlands. Not only do the games sell really well, the whole trilogy is playable on the Switch. The characters all have fun unique abilities and gameplay styles that could really shine in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom