• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not entirely true. There's been sequels before.

Both Zelda and Link from Zelda 1 are in Zelda II(though the first Zelda herself is just a part of the backstory, but two total exist).

Majora's Mask stars Link from Ocarina of Time.

Phantom Hourglass has both Tetra and Link from Wind Waker come back.

The Oracle games are a pair, so star the same characters(and you have two story routes based upon which game you play first, so it has a unique sequel thing).

Link's Crossbow Training is the same Link from Twilight Princess(though it's a spin-off, so eh).

Not counting BOTW/TOTK, since that's just the latest instance of it.
you forgot triforce heroes and a link between worlds as well as link's awakening and a link to the past

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
If the next game ends up begin a new game and a sequel like Brawl or Smash 4 and not a Ultimate port or a reboot.
How many newcomers base game you think we'll get? asuming some characters are cut as well (like 6 or so, like previous games cuts)

Might just as well put the characters i think might be the possible cuts if there's cuts:
Wii Fit Trainer*
Pichu
Young Link
Dr. Mario
Corrin
Incineroar
Piranha Plant
* = Only if they have to choose between them and Ring Fit Trainer, otherwise probably returning.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
you forgot triforce heroes and a link between worlds as well as link's awakening and a link to the past
I honestly never remembered where LA takes place(it doesn't help that it's a dream sequence and practically could take place anywhere, not being a straight sequel in practice. Though being it was meant to be a port of ALTTP of sorts, that just makes it being directly related to ALTTP in-story even better). TH I barely remember much at all.

That said, thanks for noting that.

Incidentally, I do remember the Oracle games being the end of a timeline, though I forget which one, so they might star the same Link and Zelda? Looking more into it, in the US story, ALTTP, LA, and the Oracle games are starring the same Link(not necessarily Zelda), but they're different in the JP story.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly never remembered where LA takes place(it doesn't help that it's a dream sequence and practically could take place anywhere, not being a straight sequel in practice. Though being it was meant to be a port of ALTTP of sorts, that just makes it being directly related to ALTTP in-story even better). TH I barely remember much at all.

That said, thanks for noting that.

Incidentally, I do remember the Oracle games being the end of a timeline, though I forget which one, so they might star the same Link and Zelda? Looking more into it, in the US story, ALTTP, LA, and the Oracle games are starring the same Link(not necessarily Zelda), but they're different in the JP story.
yeah the oracles placement is a source of some confusion. Iirc hyrule hystoria had them set between ALTTP and AP but the later versions of the timeline had the moved from that spot. though I’m fairly certain they’re still in the downfall timeline

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah the oracles placement is a source of some confusion. Iirc hyrule hystoria had them set between ALTTP and AP but the later versions of the timeline had the moved from that spot. though I’m fairly certain they’re still in the downfall timeline
They are. Being what the story is, they do feel like good ending pieces~

SPEN18

Smash Champion
If the next game ends up begin a new game and a sequel like Brawl or Smash 4 and not a Ultimate port or a reboot.
How many newcomers base game you think we'll get? asuming some characters are cut as well (like 6 or so, like previous games cuts)
With only 6 cuts? That would be like 20 more vets than they had to do for EiH, likely on a system where bringing stuff over is harder, and we're making newcomers on top of that? I know this is trying to walk the line between port vs. reboot discussion, but I don't see how it would be workable.
The answer to how many newcomers we get is pretty much always gonna depend on the number of cuts you allow. Another angle is to just ask how many characters total would be in a new game, with no distinction between vets and newcomers, and then figure from there.

--

I think we need to discard the "substantial cuts = reboot" equivalence that a lot of people seem to be operating under. If you're categorizing things like that, then literally any sequel we could feasibly get would have to be a "reboot." Cuts do not automatically mean the series is like reverting to some more primitive stage; if anything, they facilitate the ability to make something actually new.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose. Although I think they said Botw and Totk were at the end of all three timelines
There's been some oddities with the story of TOTK not lining up terribly well with the actual backstories. He doesn't seem to be related to Demise anymore(though it's still vague either way). The "Gerudo denounced Ganondorf" at first seemed like a good way to explain the old stories since he was the main villain, but TOTK gives another reason to why they could be a separate storyline. It's weird regardless.

That said, we don't have a new official guidebook to the timeline, so their statement is overall vague and it may be more of a way to justify all the unique races interacting that normally wouldn't. Since Rito are actually Zora evolved, but now they're different species.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There's been some oddities with the story of TOTK not lining up terribly well with the actual backstories. He doesn't seem to be related to Demise anymore(though it's still vague either way). The "Gerudo denounced Ganondorf" at first seemed like a good way to explain the old stories since he was the main villain, but TOTK gives another reason to why they could be a separate storyline. It's weird regardless.

That said, we don't have a new official guidebook to the timeline, so their statement is overall vague and it may be more of a way to justify all the unique races interacting that normally wouldn't. Since Rito are actually Zora evolved, but now they're different species.
yeah it’s all confusing. that’s why I’m still fairly certain they make it as they go. like all their other series

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Will the next The Legend of Zelda games always be the same Link and the same Zelda from now on? I write this because in every game in The Legend of Zelda series, there was a different Link and a different Zelda. I'm not saying or writing that this is bad, I just think it's time to always have the same Link and the same Zelda in later games. After all, in the Metroid series, for example, it's always the same Samus, so why not both of them be the same in their own games?
I don't think the "Wild-verse" cast is going to be permanent, but TOTK isn't going to be their last game. I think we're going to get a BOTW3, and maybe a Age of Calamity 2 or something else like that, before they move to something new.
How many newcomers base game you think we'll get? asuming some characters are cut as well
I'm not going to restart the cut talk, but I think 10-17 non-clones is likely. They're going to want to have something to get people excited, so an ultimate-size newcomer batch is unlikely, but I can't see them doing 20 fully unique newcomers or anything. Clone wise, it depends - Melee and Ultimate had a lot, but 4 and especially Brawl barely introduced any. Call me crazy, but I hope we go closer to the first two - i like the alternate takes on characters already on the roster.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah it’s all confusing. that’s why I’m still fairly certain they make it as they go. like all their other series
My guess is the idea of Ganondorf being separated pretty heavily from Demise was something they didn't originally intend(an idea created for TOTK), so the worst that happened is the Rito/Zora change, but it's not like the species couldn't split again anyway. Gorons were nearly gone throughout WW thanks to the Goddesses flooding it(and they also killed off all Gerudo that way), but clearly they're all fully alive and back as of BOTW.

It's also possible that the timelines simply combined because consistency doesn't matter. There's honestly more than one way it could go. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new book coming out later. More and more games are coming out. There is no new actual guide of any sort, so. Just minor statements.

Though it is worth noting that Ganondorf is separated from the Triforce entirely in WW, so BOTW Ganondorf having no connection to the Triforce is easier to justify as he canonically lost his connection to Demise in one story. But reincarnation is supposed to be because of Demise, so who knows. They could just as easily resurrect Ganondorf in WW since he's nothing but stone, and he'd be logical as a different person too. Though stone didn't stop Ganondorf from reincarnating in Four Swords Adventures, so it's not like that matters much on its own(though as noted, Ganondorf can no longer be resurrected by Demise's normal reincarnation cycle in WW, at least apparently, because he lost his connection to him. That doesn't mean something else can't cause it, etc.)

On another note, I hope we see another take on Ganondorf. There's a lot of neat ideas throughout other fictions(like the OOT Abridged) as well as WW somewhat trying to give him less evil traits that it's much easier to justify non-completely evil versions without much hassle. That, and if you don't include Demise, he has way more agency to do what he wants. I never liked Demise since him being responsible for the whole cycle of evil and reincarnation(in general) makes many villains less likely to have proper agency. It makes OOT Ganondorf being a badass conqueror feel more like a "was he roped into this? Corrupted? How much is it Koume and Kotake's influence and not Demise's?" I liked the idea the witches taught him to be evil, since at least he chose to embrace the evil on his own merits. It made WW where he saw how he went wrong feel an angle worth exploring. Now, uh... the impact is lost cause of a lack of agency to a degree.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
My guess is the idea of Ganondorf being separated pretty heavily from Demise was something they didn't originally intend(an idea created for TOTK), so the worst that happened is the Rito/Zora change, but it's not like the species couldn't split again anyway. Gorons were nearly gone throughout WW thanks to the Goddesses flooding it(and they also killed off all Gerudo that way), but clearly they're all fully alive and back as of BOTW.

It's also possible that the timelines simply combined because consistency doesn't matter. There's honestly more than one way it could go. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new book coming out later. More and more games are coming out. There is no new actual guide of any sort, so. Just minor statements.

Though it is worth noting that Ganondorf is separated from the Triforce entirely in WW, so BOTW Ganondorf having no connection to the Triforce is easier to justify as he canonically lost his connection to Demise in one story. But reincarnation is supposed to be because of Demise, so who knows. They could just as easily resurrect Ganondorf in WW since he's nothing but stone, and he'd be logical as a different person too. Though stone didn't stop Ganondorf from reincarnating in Four Swords Adventures, so it's not like that matters much on its own(though as noted, Ganondorf can no longer be resurrected by Demise's normal reincarnation cycle in WW, at least apparently, because he lost his connection to him. That doesn't mean something else can't cause it, etc.)

On another note, I hope we see another take on Ganondorf. There's a lot of neat ideas throughout other fictions(like the OOT Abridged) as well as WW somewhat trying to give him less evil traits that it's much easier to justify non-completely evil versions without much hassle. That, and if you don't include Demise, he has way more agency to do what he wants. I never liked Demise since him being responsible for the whole cycle of evil and reincarnation(in general) makes many villains less likely to have proper agency. It makes OOT Ganondorf being a badass conqueror feel more like a "was he roped into this? Corrupted? How much is it Koume and Kotake's influence and not Demise's?" I liked the idea the witches taught him to be evil, since at least he chose to embrace the evil on his own merits. It made WW where he saw how he went wrong feel an angle worth exploring. Now, uh... the impact is lost cause of a lack of agency to a degree.
four swords adventure is part of the child timeline isn’t it? so the ganon seen in that is a reincarnation of the one from twilight princess. anyway in regards to ganondorfs free will I can see where you’re coming from in terms of him losing a sense of his free will but I think that would also be true of link and Zelda. I don’t know about anyone else but I always assumed they were reincarnated each time long before SS. so I find myself wondering if any of them have free will or are they all just cured to play out the same roles for eternity

also I wouldn’t mind knowing if there’s a read impa, tingle, beedle and epona keep coming back to

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
four swords adventure is part of the child timeline isn’t it? so the ganon seen in that is a reincarnation of the one from twilight princess. anyway in regards to ganondorfs free will I can see where you’re coming from in terms of him losing a sense of his free will but I think that would also be true of link and Zelda. I don’t know about anyone else but I always assumed they were reincarnated each time long before SS. so I find myself wondering if any of them have free will or are they all just cured to play out the same roles for eternity

also I wouldn’t mind knowing if there’s a read impa, tingle, beedle and epona keep coming back to
Well, Ganondorf/Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise's hatred(and may be responsible for other evil even existing. It's unclear).

Zelda and Link are just cursed to reincarnate in itself. Not being directly linked to Demise's own spirit to any degree(or even implied). So they probably do.

I would love to figure out what's going on with the other recurring characters. We at least have two Tingles(MM is a different person), and it's mostly the toon design for the other Tingle. I don't remember if he's actually human or not, though. We've seen Tingle costumes in various games, but those are just fun bonuses so it's not like he has a clear legacy. Especially since Rupeeland seems like it might go more into WW? So any SS stuff doesn't make sense time-wise beyond a non-canonical example of a cameo.

Epona might just be a horse renamed after a legendary one time and time again(being the Celtic Horse Goddess of Travel). So that can check out as being a pure legacy character, like how WW Link isn't an actual reincarnation but someone who takes up the mantle(he doesn't have the Triforce).

Beedle, Malon, Talon, etc. however doesn't have these benefits. Beedle I could guess is a long line of merchants, but the others are just randomly placed as is. LA introducing two who are clearly based upon them story-wise is one thing, but them being in MC is just kind of random. Like, uh, do they just repeat the names now or something? Reincarnation isn't impossible, but it's not like they're cursed to have that either.

It handles recurring characters oddly. Some are reasonably explained. Some are just "there". Enemies also change heavily in many cases, so they feel actually like a natural thing(evolving designs over time to fit the environment. Besides that, you have Seahats which are clearly just Peahats evolving to survive in water better. And there's still Peahats too, so it's just two species now).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, Ganondorf/Ganon is the reincarnation of Demise's hatred(and may be responsible for other evil even existing. It's unclear).

Zelda and Link are just cursed to reincarnate in itself. Not being directly linked to Demise's own spirit to any degree(or even implied). So they probably do.

I would love to figure out what's going on with the other recurring characters. We at least have two Tingles(MM is a different person), and it's mostly the toon design for the other Tingle. I don't remember if he's actually human or not, though. We've seen Tingle costumes in various games, but those are just fun bonuses so it's not like he has a clear legacy. Especially since Rupeeland seems like it might go more into WW? So any SS stuff doesn't make sense time-wise beyond a non-canonical example of a cameo.

Epona might just be a horse renamed after a legendary one time and time again(being the Celtic Horse Goddess of Travel). So that can check out as being a pure legacy character, like how WW Link isn't an actual reincarnation but someone who takes up the mantle(he doesn't have the Triforce).

Beedle, Malon, Talon, etc. however doesn't have these benefits. Beedle I could guess is a long line of merchants, but the others are just randomly placed as is. LA introducing two who are clearly based upon them story-wise is one thing, but them being in MC is just kind of random. Like, uh, do they just repeat the names now or something? Reincarnation isn't impossible, but it's not like they're cursed to have that either.

It handles recurring characters oddly. Some are reasonably explained. Some are just "there". Enemies also change heavily in many cases, so they feel actually like a natural thing(evolving designs over time to fit the environment. Besides that, you have Seahats which are clearly just Peahats evolving to survive in water better. And there's still Peahats too, so it's just two species now).
I suppose one possibility is Nintendo is doing this on purpose to mess with. I don’t think that’s terribly likely but at least we can have fun speculating over the chances in the Zelda world

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I suppose one possibility is Nintendo is doing this on purpose to mess with. I don’t think that’s terribly likely but at least we can have fun speculating over the chances in the Zelda world
That, and we can't even say much for Tingle since he's only 35 in... MM. He's just an adult in WW, but unless he's able to live forever, well...

Though at least Gerudo do live longer than some, if I remember right. I do wish they'd delve more into these things. There's a lot of great lore the races could have, but they barely do anything with it. :/

On another note, I do wonder if TOTK would be the latest represented game in the next Smash or if something new will come out by then. I mean, I'm sure it'll get some content regardless, even if it's not the latest mainline game. It's a very important game for the franchise, respectively. BOTW is too, and got a good share of content.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That, and we can't even say much for Tingle since he's only 35 in... MM. He's just an adult in WW, but unless he's able to live forever, well...

Though at least Gerudo do live longer than some, if I remember right. I do wish they'd delve more into these things. There's a lot of great lore the races could have, but they barely do anything with it. :/

On another note, I do wonder if TOTK would be the latest represented game in the next Smash or if something new will come out by then. I mean, I'm sure it'll get some content regardless, even if it's not the latest mainline game. It's a very important game for the franchise, respectively. BOTW is too, and got a good share of content.
what complicates things further is I believe nintendo once said termina came from skull kids mind. so the original tingle may not be real

I’d be very surprised if there was no totk stuff in the next smash. mind you we have no way of knowing how far away it is. or the next Zelda

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
what complicates things further is I believe nintendo once said termina came from skull kids mind. so the original tingle may not be real

I’d be very surprised if there was no totk stuff in the next smash. mind you we have no way of knowing how far away it is. or the next Zelda
Hyrule Historia had a mixed message as well to explain that. Nobody really accepted it being a retread of LA since it ruins the point behind it being actually interesting, though. It works great for LA, but terribly for MM. That, and it makes more sense for Link to come back and use his new experiences in a timeline to help save the world.

But yeah, I think it's a guaranteed set of content. It might not be very high depending the timing. Though I can imagine Link and Sheik having some minor notes from it. Ganondorf possibly too, but he's so completely different that it's pretty hard to really use stuff from it without changing his core playstyle. Though a costume/alt referencing it would be nice. Same with clothing based upon WW.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hyrule Historia had a mixed message as well to explain that. Nobody really accepted it being a retread of LA since it ruins the point behind it being actually interesting, though. It works great for LA, but terribly for MM. That, and it makes more sense for Link to come back and use his new experiences in a timeline to help save the world.

But yeah, I think it's a guaranteed set of content. It might not be very high depending the timing. Though I can imagine Link and Sheik having some minor notes from it. Ganondorf possibly too, but he's so completely different that it's pretty hard to really use stuff from it without changing his core playstyle. Though a costume/alt referencing it would be nice. Same with clothing based upon WW.
yeah I certainly hope they decide that termina is a proper world, if only so we can see those aliens again

I’d take all of it for the next smash

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Oh there's an easy solution for that: just make a specialized controller (similar to the NSO NES/SNES/N64/Genesis ones) that's essentially the bottom half of the DS
OR you make it so the Super Switch splits into 4 pieces instead of 3. 2 Joycons, the Screen, and the CPU.

So you can remove the CPU and plug it into the TV stand. And then use the 2 Joycons and the Screen together like a 2nd screen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
yeah I certainly hope they decide that termina is a proper world, if only so we can see those aliens again

I’d take all of it for the next smash
The aliens were some of the best parts. XD

At the very least, Smash fully has it noted. Despite the oddities of the US version, Young Link is from OOT and MM specifically. Now, the lack of almost anything MM in his moveset is silly. One thing is not having a good Fierce Deity Link transformation. Another is not having any straight features from it aesthetic-wise. The closest he had was... the Fire Arrow even then, and that's only a technicality, since it was a general option for Link as well at the time. I'd love to see its Hookshot, the Mirror Shield, perhaps the Razor Sword in some costumes, etc. Really, just making him thematically show off both games is perfect. As Link no longer represents OOT in design, having at least some items from OOT appear with Young Link is a good idea. I mean, we still have the Deku Nuts and Bombchu, but those aren't different between OOT and MM. Young Link having bits from both(as some items have different designs) is a good compromise, imo~

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The aliens were some of the best parts. XD

At the very least, Smash fully has it noted. Despite the oddities of the US version, Young Link is from OOT and MM specifically. Now, the lack of almost anything MM in his moveset is silly. One thing is not having a good Fierce Deity Link transformation. Another is not having any straight features from it aesthetic-wise. The closest he had was... the Fire Arrow even then, and that's only a technicality, since it was a general option for Link as well at the time. I'd love to see its Hookshot, the Mirror Shield, perhaps the Razor Sword in some costumes, etc. Really, just making him thematically show off both games is perfect. As Link no longer represents OOT in design, having at least some items from OOT appear with Young Link is a good idea. I mean, we still have the Deku Nuts and Bombchu, but those aren't different between OOT and MM. Young Link having bits from both(as some items have different designs) is a good compromise, imo~
im with you on that. a bit more variety in what games get referenced is something I’d welcome. plus little touches like that are nice

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
im with you on that. a bit more variety in what games get referenced is something I’d welcome. plus little touches like that are nice
I was thinking about some ways to help alleviate this;

• If they don't want to change the model entirely, having a Fierce Deity Link-like skin for Young Link during the Final Smash is fine. Being bigger could change the range overall, so making it the same size keeps the original move intact, being a logical visual update. Either way works fine.
  • Hookshot should be the MM version.
  • Deku Shield, Hylian Shield, MM Mirror Shield, and I'm not sure what could be the last Shield design so it's 4 per costume. Maybe the normal Magical Shield from Zelda 1? There's also the Fire Shield and two clearly different Mirror Shield designs you could take from. The Small Shield is also quite different from the Deku Shield(though the Fighter's Shield is more different, so that's probably better to use). This is ignoring the Mirror Shield changes due to "odd designs" in MM to MM3D/Ports and OOT to OOT3D/Ports, respectively. If we still need one more, Zelda II doesn't help though, as his Shield is more or less really similar to the Mirror Shield in ALTTP, but has a Cross in it like the Magical Shield. Welp. There's other 2D overhead games you could take from at that point, I guess? Though since there's a Dark Link costume, that having a dark Shield makes for a good enough 8th version.
  • Costumes seem fine otherwise. No real complaints there. Pretty varied, imo. The Blue and Red ones could potentially have slight references to the Zora and Goron designs, maybe. It's a bit harder to find a good spot for the Deku references beyond the Deku Shield by proxy.
  • Swords are a lot easier; Kokiri Sword, Sword(not officially called the Wooden Sword, but same difference), Gilded Sword, Razor Sword, Master Sword, Magical Sword, White Sword, Biggoron's Sword, Great Fairy's Sword, Tempered Sword, Golden Sword are all... rather unique in some way. Kind of a pick and choose.
  • Maybe the Bombchu could show up sometimes instead of the Bomb, but it's harder to really make it work since you're focused on combos. It's a cool tech, but it actually flows worse. Link suffers the same fate in Ultimate as he relied on his old Bombs for Combos. The Remote Bombs also can only have one out at once, making it a bit of a downgrade(cool idea, bad execution).
  • The Bows in OOT and MM are completely different, but I imagine you could use both. There's also the designs from the first Zelda game and ALTTP which stand out. They could also just have different colors based upon the costume but one core design from MM. Fire Arrow stays the same.
  • Taunts are good and stand out. His Victory animations could sometimes have a mask on, which would help show off both core games well.
Anything else I'm missing that could work? Swords, Shields, Tunics, actual used items, Taunts, Victory animations...

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Not entirely true. There's been sequels before.

Both Zelda and Link from Zelda 1 are in Zelda II(though the first Zelda herself is just a part of the backstory, but two total exist).

Majora's Mask stars Link from Ocarina of Time.

Phantom Hourglass has both Tetra and Link from Wind Waker come back.

The Oracle games are a pair, so star the same characters(and you have two story routes based upon which game you play first, so it has a unique sequel thing).

Link's Crossbow Training is the same Link from Twilight Princess(though it's a spin-off, so eh).

Not counting BOTW/TOTK, since that's just the latest instance of it.
Also Spirit tracks is a seuel to Phantom hourglass where the Zelda from that game is shown to be Tetra's grandaughter and one of Links friends from Wind waker is basically Spirit tracks Link's father figure before he sets out on his quest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also Spirit tracks is a seuel to Phantom hourglass where the Zelda from that game is shown to be Tetra's grandaughter and one of Links friends from Wind waker is basically Spirit tracks Link's father figure before he sets out on his quest.
I was referring to the same playable Link in that context, but true. I forgot about that one.

But yeah, Links and Zeldas are heavily reused~

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking about some ways to help alleviate this;

• If they don't want to change the model entirely, having a Fierce Deity Link-like skin for Young Link during the Final Smash is fine. Being bigger could change the range overall, so making it the same size keeps the original move intact, being a logical visual update. Either way works fine.
  • Hookshot should be the MM version.
  • Deku Shield, Hylian Shield, MM Mirror Shield, and I'm not sure what could be the last Shield design so it's 4 per costume. Maybe the normal Magical Shield from Zelda 1? There's also the Fire Shield and two clearly different Mirror Shield designs you could take from. The Small Shield is also quite different from the Deku Shield(though the Fighter's Shield is more different, so that's probably better to use). This is ignoring the Mirror Shield changes due to "odd designs" in MM to MM3D/Ports and OOT to OOT3D/Ports, respectively. If we still need one more, Zelda II doesn't help though, as his Shield is more or less really similar to the Mirror Shield in ALTTP, but has a Cross in it like the Magical Shield. Welp. There's other 2D overhead games you could take from at that point, I guess? Though since there's a Dark Link costume, that having a dark Shield makes for a good enough 8th version.
  • Costumes seem fine otherwise. No real complaints there. Pretty varied, imo. The Blue and Red ones could potentially have slight references to the Zora and Goron designs, maybe. It's a bit harder to find a good spot for the Deku references beyond the Deku Shield by proxy.
  • Swords are a lot easier; Kokiri Sword, Sword(not officially called the Wooden Sword, but same difference), Gilded Sword, Razor Sword, Master Sword, Magical Sword, White Sword, Biggoron's Sword, Great Fairy's Sword, Tempered Sword, Golden Sword are all... rather unique in some way. Kind of a pick and choose.
  • Maybe the Bombchu could show up sometimes instead of the Bomb, but it's harder to really make it work since you're focused on combos. It's a cool tech, but it actually flows worse. Link suffers the same fate in Ultimate as he relied on his old Bombs for Combos. The Remote Bombs also can only have one out at once, making it a bit of a downgrade(cool idea, bad execution).
  • The Bows in OOT and MM are completely different, but I imagine you could use both. There's also the designs from the first Zelda game and ALTTP which stand out. They could also just have different colors based upon the costume but one core design from MM. Fire Arrow stays the same.
  • Taunts are good and stand out. His Victory animations could sometimes have a mask on, which would help show off both core games well.
Anything else I'm missing that could work? Swords, Shields, Tunics, actual used items, Taunts, Victory animations...
that's a solid list of ideas, let's see if i can add anything

• Bomb-chus are still items in ultimate so i don't think we need to worry about them
  • He could have a unique victory theme, there's a jingle that plays in MM like when you beat the aliens that'd work
  • If you wanted the red and blue tunics to references the gorons and zoras you could change the symbol on the deku shield to theirs
  • Victory poses are pretty simple though i'm not sure there's much to work with even if you borrow for the earliest zeldas. I'd give him a victory where he turns into a fairy like in the adventure of link just to confuse people
  • Beyond that i guess you could have him riding epona or playing the ocarina, maybe some of those poses giant link did in the remake though i don't think they'd be well suited
  • Actually now that i think about it he really should play the ocarina for one of his taunts
that's all i got right now

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, the fall Nintendo Direct is around the corner. What game titles do you think might be announced? (Other than the reminders of September games.)
1000008203.jpg

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Well, the fall Nintendo Direct is around the corner. What game titles do you think might be announced? (Other than the reminders of September games.)View attachment 376893
Aside of the obvious thing I'm infamous for: a Tokyo Mirage Sessions sequel would never happen, but it would be a fun WTF game.
Yes, and i think the game will flop very hard (even more then the original and it's remaster), but I think it will be memed after (just remember to what happened with Morbius)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
that's a solid list of ideas, let's see if i can add anything

• Bomb-chus are still items in ultimate so i don't think we need to worry about them
  • He could have a unique victory theme, there's a jingle that plays in MM like when you beat the aliens that'd work
  • If you wanted the red and blue tunics to references the gorons and zoras you could change the symbol on the deku shield to theirs
  • Victory poses are pretty simple though i'm not sure there's much to work with even if you borrow for the earliest zeldas. I'd give him a victory where he turns into a fairy like in the adventure of link just to confuse people
  • Beyond that i guess you could have him riding epona or playing the ocarina, maybe some of those poses giant link did in the remake though i don't think they'd be well suited
  • Actually now that i think about it he really should play the ocarina for one of his taunts
that's all i got right now
Giant Link would be pretty funny to incorporate somehow. Even if it's just a Spirit Battle? Also, Giant Young Link is one of my favorite ones in Melee just for the MM joke. Albeit, it's also my least favorite if I'm going for a no-damage run. XD

Those sound sweet, yeah~ Referencing both games as much as possible and some older games(maybe) makes Young Link feels a lot more unique beyond just playing closer to the 64-Smash 4 Link. Toon Link and regular Link stand out otherwise nicely.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Aside of the obvious thing I'm infamous for: a Tokyo Mirage Sessions sequel would never happen, but it would be a fun WTF game.
Yes, and i think the game will flop very hard and it will be memed after (just remember to what happened with Morbius)
This but unironic, i really like Tokyo mirage sessions and would enjoy a sequel.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think we are getting a DK game in the next two years, but I've increasingly started to believe it'll be for the next system. Make it a stand out release in the Switch 2's first year around the same time the Nintendo Park is going all in on the DK section, and just embrace the synergy. I'll be deeply embittered that the Switch never got its own Country game and that we went more than a decade without a new title, but realistically I think that's where we're at now. Next month's presentation is the last practical time for one to pop up for current hardware however I'm not getting emotionally invested in that sort of hype cycle anymore.

The infamous farming simulator Direct from last September was a stinging but effective lesson that Nintendo's focus in development and marking is not often going to be where my interests are, and I prefer to just keep my expectations fairly neutral going forward.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think we are getting a DK game in the next two years, but I've increasingly started to believe it'll be for the next system. Make it a stand out release in the Switch 2's first year around the same time the Nintendo Park is going all in on the DK section, and just embrace the synergy. I'll be deeply embittered that the Switch never got its own Country game and that we went more than a decade without a new title, but realistically I think that's where we're at now. Next month's presentation is the last practical time for one to pop up for current hardware however I'm not getting emotionally invested in that sort of hype cycle anymore.

The infamous farming simulator Direct from last September was a stinging but effective lesson that Nintendo's focus in development and marking is not often going to be where my interests are, and I prefer to just keep my expectations fairly neutral going forward.
considering that all the farming simulators weren’t made by Nintendo you may have to reconsider the development part

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yes, and i think the game will flop very hard (even more then the original and it's remaster), but I think it will be memed after (just remember to what happened with Morbius)
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if its team had been dissolved. They also made Soul Hackers 2, which completely flopped, and they're part of ATLUS' main studio, so they might have just been spread between the SMT and EO teams.

Honestly, my pipe dream for the direct would be a new megaten spinoff game (Devil Survivor 3 please 🙏) or ports of existing ones.

Speaking of which, I find it funny that the switch has gone from having no Persona (which people wouldn't shut up about), to now being the only console to get... a port of an old Persona 1 mobile spin-off? I hope you're all looking forward to having Boy with Earring as your next persona rep.

Top Bottom