• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
Well, the fall Nintendo Direct is around the corner. What game titles do you think might be announced? (Other than the reminders of September games.)View attachment 376893
Has there ever been a year that had both june and september directs? (not mini, full directs)? I can't remember.

If a direct happens then i'd like a new fortune street.
I think we could see a new 1st party nintendo IP? It's been awhile since we had a new Nintedo IP, i think we don't have a nintendo IP that debuted in the 2020s yet? I have bad memory so i could be completely wrong here.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
When people unironically suggest that Ring Fit Trainee would be a Wii Fit Trainer Echo, it tells me that they either didn’t play the game or, even if they did, still only look at the “Fit” part of the name and didn’t look at Ring Fit Adventure’s gameplay beyond that. Cause Wii Fit and Ring Fit are totally different games despite both being first party games with peripherals for exercise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if its team had been dissolved. They also made Soul Hackers 2, which completely flopped, and they're part of ATLUS' main studio, so they might have just been spread between the SMT and EO teams.
Aren't SMT games and EO games made by the same division (Creative Division 1st)?

Either way - regardless of how people felt about SH2, outright dissolving the team would be a bad call. ATLUS already goes long without making games for the smaller titles and fewer dev teams are not going to fix this.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Aren't SMT games and EO games made by the same division (Creative Division 1st)?

Either way - regardless of how people felt about SH2, outright dissolving the team would be a bad call. ATLUS already goes long without making games for the smaller titles and fewer dev teams are not going to fix this.
I definitely don't want them to have been dissolved, I actually enjoyed SH2, but it's not impossible. And they're the same studio/division, but different teams (usually at least, they had to bring in the EO team to help with SMTV since they were struggling I believe).

But I hope the team gets a chance to redeem themselves, most of my main issues with SH2 are fairly easily fixable (mostly just have more dungeon variety and use in-house composers, because Kozuka not working on a Soul Hackers game is an actual crime).

Check this out, everyone.
I guess this won't be in the September direct much then. Is this the first game-specific direct since MH rise?

Staarih

Smash Master
I guess this won't be in the September direct much then. Is this the first game-specific direct since MH rise?
Hmm so will this take the place of a full direct?
There was a Splatoon 3 Direct last year in August, with a general Direct in September. Same could apply here.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
There was a Splatoon 3 Direct last year in August, with a general Direct in September. Same could apply here.
Yeah, that's what I meant. We'll get this now, and a direct in September without as much of a focus on mario.

I was expecting the direct next week, but it'll probably be a bit later now, but who knows, they've done stuff like this close together before.

This isn't the sort of game I'd expect to get a direct though, it's big, but fairly self-explanatory.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I get the feeling this is something they’d want to announce before hand. or maybe when they did so with sonic years ago is making me think this
That...only makes the idea of the new Mario VA being announced sooner more exciting, if you ask me.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Been awhile since I've been into a Mario game but this new magic mushroom vibe yeah, I'm down. Been awhile since Mario was stupid giggly like when I first got to stomp around in this

KuriboShoeMario.jpg

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So... The thread died.

To revive it, I pose a question.

How would you feel if Castlevania's Dracula was made a character?
While I'd prefer Alucard first, this would be nothing short of an awesome option.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I too would prefer Alucard but would not be opposed to Dracula, especially if he had a "true form" gimmick like with Arsene maybe... He'd also make a fine boss if not playable.
I mean, not that he isn't a boss already, but he could work either way.

Or just be both. It's not like you can't have playable and boss variants in the same game. Reserving his monster form to a Final Smash(or even use his crazier form from SOTN as the FS works well too).

I also would've liked to still see a Boss Mode, where you play as unique bosses. Some of the Bosses in Ultimate are basically no different from a playable character overall. Giga Bowser is obviously the same as before, and he really could've been playable beyond a FS anyway. Master Hand is actually playable(though nerfed) now. Ganon pretty clearly would make for a very easy to play as variant. Some would have to be unique button combos with scripting, like Rathalos seems that way(same with Rayquaza, Porky, etc). Oddly enough Rathalos could probably be given a proper moveset, due to being closer to Ridley-shaped. Either way, it's unfortunate we don't have a way to use them in a fun mode or something. They don't need to be balanced, just not "breaks the game in half due to bugs".

Smash 4 absolutely could've done that via touch screen options for commands as a side mode in both versions even. Though 3DS probably wouldn't have worked out, it's unfortunate the Gamepad was barely used beyond the (admittedly mediocre) Stage Editor. So much easy potential, even as a DLC mode. If anything, it would've also helped the Ridley fans to a degree. It's not exactly what they meant, but imagine both sides having what they like. The massive Ridley we love and the more balanced version who is just as terrifying.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Fate fan seeing a public domain character: "Hmm, this gives me strong Fate vibes."
You joke, but I wouldn't mind if Winnie the Pooh came to Fate now that he's public domain.

Just... PLEASE don't make him a horror monster again. That trend stopped being interesting BEFORE he became public domain...

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I think I slightly prefer him as a boss with a playable Alucard, but a playable Drac is something I'll never complain about.
Huh, I don’t mind Dracula being playable, but if him remaining a boss and Alucard being playable meant special dialogue between the two, I would be down for it!

D

Deleted member

Hello people, I really don't pass by this thread anymore, but I wanted to share some Smash speculation from a really close Discord partner.

It's a lot of info doh, so I'm gonna send a short summary first and then all the evidence they have found.

The summary is that practically with most of the major announcements or showcases at Directs and such, there tends to be a restock of related amiibo... and It seems some upcoming unnanounced restocks could be pointing to something Smash-related getting shown really soon if all this speculation turns out correct.

With that said, here's the evidence:
TLDR:
  • Smash is getting 2 waves of restocks, restocks has always connected to a announcement or release of a game, DLC, or content update.
  • Sora is meant to be getting a Amiibo revealed soon, new Amiibo announcements has, also, 100% always connected to a new release or announcement.
  • Sora's Amiibo code isn't in the game, despite them perfectly being able to 2 years ago, which implies if it's happening, they held off, which means it probably was for more Ultimate, so Nintendo could have new Smash Amiibo to sell during it.
  • The Gamecube Controller got restocked in Japan, last time that happened was with Vol. 2's reveal (3 weeks before)
  • The restocks aren't happening in America yet, since NoA is the global marketing center for Nintendo, that probably means they're holding off for a announcement.
  • Square Enix isn't marketing the SMRPG remake on social media, the last time they did that for a direct announcement was with DQ11S when it was revealed in the Feb 2019 direct, they only started marketing it a day before Hero's reveal.
  • Before the restocks, Papa heard that "Something more may be happening with Smash Ultimate", the timeframe of the report the source heard would of been June 2023.
  • Next gen isn't launching until Sep/Oct 2024, they wouldn't reveal a "Deluxe" or 6 a year out, that's more marketing than what Ultimate got.
  • The restocks being 2 waves implies it'll also be released, since restocks in waves has only happened with releases, the only thing we could possibly get revealed and release that quickly is more DLC
  • There isn't a bundle for Vol. 2 on the eShop
  • The MK8DX DLC is ending in September, meaning Nintendo is going to need to have new DLC waves to fill in that void
  • The German date for the restocks going on sale, Aug 28th, has past with no announcement from Nintendo.
  • Smash site updated, removing the accessories tab.
  • The restocks nor Sora Amiibo can be for NL23 (FAQ)

That's all I wanted to share, keep an eye throught September as maybe interesting stuff could happen (I for sure have that granted, because LEGO Marvel CMF 2 is coming out, yay!)

See ya'll another time.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Hello people, I really don't pass by this thread anymore, but I wanted to share some Smash speculation from a really close Discord partner.

It's a lot of info doh, so I'm gonna send a short summary first and then all the evidence they have found.

The summary is that practically with most of the major announcements or showcases at Directs and such, there tends to be a restock of related amiibo... and It seems some upcoming unnanounced restocks could be pointing to something Smash-related getting shown really soon if all this speculation turns out correct.

With that said, here's the evidence:
TLDR:
  • Smash is getting 2 waves of restocks, restocks has always connected to a announcement or release of a game, DLC, or content update.
  • Sora is meant to be getting a Amiibo revealed soon, new Amiibo announcements has, also, 100% always connected to a new release or announcement.
  • Sora's Amiibo code isn't in the game, despite them perfectly being able to 2 years ago, which implies if it's happening, they held off, which means it probably was for more Ultimate, so Nintendo could have new Smash Amiibo to sell during it.
  • The Gamecube Controller got restocked in Japan, last time that happened was with Vol. 2's reveal (3 weeks before)
  • The restocks aren't happening in America yet, since NoA is the global marketing center for Nintendo, that probably means they're holding off for a announcement.
  • Square Enix isn't marketing the SMRPG remake on social media, the last time they did that for a direct announcement was with DQ11S when it was revealed in the Feb 2019 direct, they only started marketing it a day before Hero's reveal.
  • Before the restocks, Papa heard that "Something more may be happening with Smash Ultimate", the timeframe of the report the source heard would of been June 2023.
  • Next gen isn't launching until Sep/Oct 2024, they wouldn't reveal a "Deluxe" or 6 a year out, that's more marketing than what Ultimate got.
  • The restocks being 2 waves implies it'll also be released, since restocks in waves has only happened with releases, the only thing we could possibly get revealed and release that quickly is more DLC
  • There isn't a bundle for Vol. 2 on the eShop
  • The MK8DX DLC is ending in September, meaning Nintendo is going to need to have new DLC waves to fill in that void
  • The German date for the restocks going on sale, Aug 28th, has past with no announcement from Nintendo.
  • Smash site updated, removing the accessories tab.
  • The restocks nor Sora Amiibo can be for NL23 (FAQ)

That's all I wanted to share, keep an eye throught September as maybe interesting stuff could happen (I for sure have that granted, because LEGO Marvel CMF 2 is coming out, yay!)

See ya'll another time.
Yeah, I heard about this from this post. This would be cool if correct, but it's got the Pepe Silvia vibes so I'm not convinced. Also part of the info seems to come from Fatmanonice so I'm taking this all with a massive grain of salt.

Top Bottom