• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

dream1ng

Smash Champion
You can't really say for sure that that's not the case. Like I said, that could very well be the way the company feels.
The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on you for making the claim. My point is there's no evidence to ground it, because "maybe they feel that way" is tantamount to "you never know", which isn't a good argument for anything more than proving something isn't impossible.

It's related to a larger series and is considered niche? Sounds like the perfect comparison to me.
And the fact that you have to ignore Ryo's major recurring role in SNK's biggest series from your equation lest the Keen comparison fall apart says everything that needs to be said about how that seems like the perfect comparison to you.

But you did say it makes little sense to argue that Keen is niche and dormant so maybe it could get a Mii costume but SMT/SoulCalibur are bigger and more significant so they'll be playable or nothing. It's like thinking Alex Kidd, the much lesser known Sega mascot, could get a Mii costume or something less but Final Fantasy, one of the most critically acclaimed and longest running RPG series, is going to get anything less than a playable representation. A series of that magnitude would likely cause an outrage if it didn't have a playable character.
Or like thinking something as big as Monster Hunter or DMC or Doom or Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Assassin's Creed or Rayman or Resident Evil would ever get anything less than playability, which is an absurd notion. I mean, they're not as big as Shin Megami Tensei or SoulCalibur, but they're still pretty big.

Look at the content they do have; in Koei Tecmo's case, it's a series they co-own with Nintendo and ASW's case, it's a series that they didn't technically create themselves. It's not the major series that the former owns or the homegrown series that the latter made. None of those are in Smash.
If it's an ideological dogma it's already been broken. Sony didn't create Bungie IP. You think they'd let it be in Smash?

You seem to think simply finding a reason makes that reason credible. Anybody can come up with a reason for something. This is not an argument, this is making guesses and excuses.

There's obviously a reason for that and, of course, we don't know the reason. I never claimed I did but saying it's because "they aren't as big as most of the companies that do" is a baseless assumption itself.
Your point is predicated entirely on the fact that the content is absent and really not much more. That's not enough for a defensible argument.

I could say Sakurai wanted to include Ryu Hayabusa as a fighter, but Koei-Tecmo said no, because they didn't want him in Smash. And it would have as much proof as your theory. But coming up with hypothetical situations isn't all it takes to make something worth believing.

I never said Microsoft in the first place. Obviously, id Software allowed Doom Slayer to be a Mii costume after all.

However, the playable or nothing mentality is not as simple as you think it is. Looking back at series like Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Sonic, and Mega Man, there's no way ANYBODY would be happy with those series being represented by just spirits, trophies, or Mii costumes. Not just because of fan demand but because of how important they are to both video games and the companies themselves. Obviously, a playable representation did these series justice. If you admit Soul Calibur is a major fighting game series (like Tekken and Street Fighter) and Shin Megami Tensei is a major RPG series like (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest), it makes sense to believe that they would likely get the same treatment the series did and would just be straight up wrong if they don't.
I enjoy the irony of insisting SoulCalibur would be playable or nothing when last time Tekken was only a Mii costume and it's a bigger series than SoulCalibur is. As well as the fact that for most of the DLC it seemed entirely plausible Tekken would remain just a costume and people were generally fine with that notion. Even when the smaller Fatal Fury/KoF got in first.

Tales is a bigger Namco series than SoulCalibur is, and a bigger RPG series than SMT is, with a more requested character than either of them have, and it's just a costume. Twice now. And we've all survived.

Also, two of the most popular characters right now are Mii costumes, Dante and Doom Slayer. And people would've liked them to be playable, but take another look, people are pleased they're in there at all. People were bummed Master Chief wasn't at least a Mii Costume. Failing playability, people were actually supportive of the idea Crash would be a costume if it emulated the old Crash costume from the commercials. And those are among the most popular third-parties.

There are massive, massive series currently consigned to non-playability. And people may have hoped for more, but, for the most part, ended up pretty ok with it. The idea that every big series needs to be playable if they're included or the fans won't stand it is just abjectly not true. You're on about SMT and SoulCalibur... man we have Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter being non-playable. Skyrim, by itself, has sold 60 million copies. Those are juggernaut, blockbuster series.

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Well this is...certainly a message to take away from this discussion.

Talk about twisting the narrative. Man.
Not twisting anything. The result of trying achieve the unachievable. The Goal is way too broad and unfocused

What a nonsensical statement.

"Celebrating gaming" is not an end point. Smash is already celebration of gaming. Just because it can't celebrate every single game ever doesn't mean that it's not.

That's like saying "There's no point in celebrating the new year, because realistically, you'll never be able to celebrate all the years."
The point of celebrating the new year is to celebrate the specific one year that new which is possible and achievable. Smash is trying to celebration of gaming, not just one game or even one section of gaming. Like you'll never celebrate all the years, you can never truly celebrate all of gaming. It's impossible unless you want Mugen levels of quantity which even then, something or someone of gaming will still be miss.

Think people are missing the point. The point is going forward is that Smash commit to an identity that is in the realm of possibility and not marketing slogan that really make no sense. I mean they have done it before so...

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So, let's talk music.

Music is one of the aspects of Smash I feel we kind of gloss over a lot here. You will see plenty of character discussion, stage discussion, and what have you, but music tends to fly a bit under the radar. Ultimate has over 1000 songs in it, but I think it is clear that we can go even further. There are plenty of series that have their music libraries begging to be utilized further. Part of me wishes Smash would just have music packs as DLC, so that I do not have to mod my switch to add more music. I would love to listen to so many awesome songs in Smash that are not there. It sucks knowing how much good music there is in Smash and how for some series, they kind of drop the ball.

I think one of the most obvious examples of a series that has plenty more to offer in terms of its soundtrack is Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts the game has a pretty solid selection of songs; the only glaring omissions are Another Side, Another Story, Forze del Male, and The Deep End. Kingdom Hearts as a series is in an awkward spot. Outside of technically using the KH2 version of Fragments of Sorrow, the series has no music representation beyond Kingdom Hearts. Obviously, songs like Simple and Clean or Sanctuary are licensing nightmares. But there are plenty of awesome songs we could get from further titles in the series. Lord of the Castle, Vector to the Heavens, Disappeared, Darkness of the Unknown, The Encounter, The 13th Struggle, The 13th Dilemma, The 13th Reflection, Sacred Moon, Deep Drive, Sinister Sundown, Working Together, Rage Awakened, Enter the Darkness, Dismiss, Fate of the Unknown, Hearts as One, Yozora, the list goes on. You can put so many great songs in Smash from Kingdom Hearts without even touching the lyrical songs.

For first party franchises, I think the series that has the most to give right now is Pokemon. Pokemon I find, at least prior to Ultimate, tended to miss more often than it hit. I think from the switch era, Final Nemona, Vs Arven, Vs Penny, Vs Professor Sada/Turo, Area Zero, Paradox Pokemon Battle Theme, vs Arceus, vs Giratina, Coronet Highlands Summit, vs Cyrus, vs Chairmen Rose, Final Marnie Battle, Final Hop Battle, Vs Leon, Battle Tower Theme, vs Peony, and vs Mustard would all be great picks for Smash. Outside of the Switch era, some older tracks I would love to get the spotlight in smash are vs Ghetsis, vs Deoxys, vs Ho Oh, vs Lugia, the BW Legendary battle theme, Lusamine Mother Beast, vs Iris, vs Lance/Red, and Mewtwo's Stadium battle theme. If we want to throw Orre into the mix, there are tons of great songs from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. Semifinal Battle, Cipher Admin (Colosseum), Cipher Admin (XD), Miror B (XD) Cipher Peon Battle (Colosseum), Battle SIM, Pyrite Town, and Colosseum First Battle are all awesome tracks that I would love to get some love in Smash.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
The burden of proof isn't on me, it's on you for making the claim. My point is there's no evidence to ground it, because "maybe they feel that way" is tantamount to "you never know", which isn't a good argument for anything more than proving something isn't impossible.
Who said anything about "proof" in the first place?

And the fact that you have to ignore Ryo's major recurring role in SNK's biggest series from your equation lest the Keen comparison fall apart says everything that needs to be said about how that seems like the perfect comparison to you.
Yet, you still called Ryo "niche" just like you said about Keen, so why does that comparison fall apart all of a sudden?

Or like thinking something as big as Monster Hunter or DMC or Doom or Elder Scrolls or Fallout or Assassin's Creed or Rayman or Resident Evil would ever get anything less than playability, which is an absurd notion. I mean, they're not as big as Shin Megami Tensei or SoulCalibur, but they're still pretty big.
They're..."not as big as Shin Megami Tensei or SoulCalibur, but they're still pretty big"? Then there was no point in even saying this.

Though, DOOM is a big series just like them but we're talking about a big fighting game series and a big RPG series here, both genres which have playable characters already in Smash here.

If it's an ideological dogma it's already been broken. Sony didn't create Bungie IP. You think they'd let it be in Smash?

You seem to think simply finding a reason makes that reason credible. Anybody can come up with a reason for something. This is not an argument, this is making guesses and excuses.
You're just now figuring out that they're guesses?

Your point is predicated entirely on the fact that the content is absent and really not much more. That's not enough for a defensible argument.

I could say Sakurai wanted to include Ryu Hayabusa as a fighter, but Koei-Tecmo said no, because they didn't want him in Smash. And it would have as much proof as your theory. But coming up with hypothetical situations isn't all it takes to make something worth believing.
Because you wouldn't know the reason, which is what I just said. It's right there in the quote. It would just be another guess like the one you're also making.

I enjoy the irony of insisting SoulCalibur would be playable or nothing when last time Tekken was only a Mii costume and it's a bigger series than SoulCalibur is. As well as the fact that for most of the DLC it seemed entirely plausible Tekken would remain just a costume and people were generally fine with that notion. Even when the smaller Fatal Fury/KoF got in first.

Tales is a bigger Namco series than SoulCalibur is, and a bigger RPG series than SMT is, with a more requested character than either of them have, and it's just a costume. Twice now. And we've all survived.

Also, two of the most popular characters right now are Mii costumes, Dante and Doom Slayer. And people would've liked them to be playable, but take another look, people are pleased they're in there at all. People were bummed Master Chief wasn't at least a Mii Costume. Failing playability, people were actually supportive of the idea Crash would be a costume if it emulated the old Crash costume from the commercials. And those are among the most popular third-parties.

There are massive, massive series currently consigned to non-playability. And people may have hoped for more, but, for the most part, ended up pretty ok with it. The idea that every big series needs to be playable if they're included or the fans won't stand it is just abjectly not true. You're on about SMT and SoulCalibur... man we have Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil and Monster Hunter being non-playable. Skyrim, by itself, has sold 60 million copies. Those are juggernaut, blockbuster series.
Tekken only having a Mii costume and not a playable character was because they had an actual reason for that; they couldn't get Heihachi's moveset to work so they decided to move on to Kazuya for the next game. So we knew the reason for that from the start. There were no guesses there.

But let's not forget that Namco still did have their mascot Pac-Man in the roster, so they were still good.

Yes, Tales got a costume twice but we're not talking about Tales. Obviously, Tales is not Tekken (which did get upgraded to playable representation) or Soul Calibur (which doesn't have anything at all ) and that's my point. Each series is treated differently. Perhaps Namco doesn't view Tales in the same way they view Tekken or Soul Calibur or Pac-Man.

I mean, in the case of Pac-Man, of course he was going to be playable. You think people would have been happy if he wasn't? Be honest.

If the case of Tekken, it shows that they always intended to give it a playable representation and they finally did.

In the case of Tales, it may be one of Namco's biggest series, yet it's got the Mii costume treatment twice, though there's no doubt Lloyd could work as a playable character. But he's not.

So maybe for Soul Calibur, they view it in a different way too. It's got nothing in Smash yet and maybe that's because of how Namco WANTS it to be in Smash.

Similarly, Atlus may view SMT the same way. After all, that's where Persona came from. That's where their mascot Jack Frost came from. So maybe they feel that this special series of theirs should have more than just spirits, trophies, music, or Mii costumes.

Other companies like Koei Tecmo and Arc System Works might feel the same way.

Also, fans don't always accept characters not being playable in Smash. Many fans were letdown when they see their favorite characters as part of spirit events. Travis fans were letdown when they saw him as a Mii costume. Heck, many people (including myself) were letdown when we read that Little Mac was an AT in Brawl before he was officially revealed. Depending on the series, if fans felt that a character could have been playable and just didn't without a reason, then yes, there would be a lot of disappointment.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So, let's talk music.

Music is one of the aspects of Smash I feel we kind of gloss over a lot here. You will see plenty of character discussion, stage discussion, and what have you, but music tends to fly a bit under the radar. Ultimate has over 1000 songs in it, but I think it is clear that we can go even further. There are plenty of series that have their music libraries begging to be utilized further. Part of me wishes Smash would just have music packs as DLC, so that I do not have to mod my switch to add more music. I would love to listen to so many awesome songs in Smash that are not there. It sucks knowing how much good music there is in Smash and how for some series, they kind of drop the ball.

I think one of the most obvious examples of a series that has plenty more to offer in terms of its soundtrack is Kingdom Hearts. Kingdom Hearts the game has a pretty solid selection of songs; the only glaring omissions are Another Side, Another Story, Forze del Male, and The Deep End. Kingdom Hearts as a series is in an awkward spot. Outside of technically using the KH2 version of Fragments of Sorrow, the series has no music representation beyond Kingdom Hearts. Obviously, songs like Simple and Clean or Sanctuary are licensing nightmares. But there are plenty of awesome songs we could get from further titles in the series. Lord of the Castle, Vector to the Heavens, Disappeared, Darkness of the Unknown, The Encounter, The 13th Struggle, The 13th Dilemma, The 13th Reflection, Sacred Moon, Deep Drive, Sinister Sundown, Working Together, Rage Awakened, Enter the Darkness, Dismiss, Fate of the Unknown, Hearts as One, Yozora, the list goes on. You can put so many great songs in Smash from Kingdom Hearts without even touching the lyrical songs.

For first party franchises, I think the series that has the most to give right now is Pokemon. Pokemon I find, at least prior to Ultimate, tended to miss more often than it hit. I think from the switch era, Final Nemona, Vs Arven, Vs Penny, Vs Professor Sada/Turo, Area Zero, Paradox Pokemon Battle Theme, vs Arceus, vs Giratina, Coronet Highlands Summit, vs Cyrus, vs Chairmen Rose, Final Marnie Battle, Final Hop Battle, Vs Leon, Battle Tower Theme, vs Peony, and vs Mustard would all be great picks for Smash. Outside of the Switch era, some older tracks I would love to get the spotlight in smash are vs Ghetsis, vs Deoxys, vs Ho Oh, vs Lugia, the BW Legendary battle theme, Lusamine Mother Beast, vs Iris, vs Lance/Red, and Mewtwo's Stadium battle theme. If we want to throw Orre into the mix, there are tons of great songs from Colosseum and Gale of Darkness. Semifinal Battle, Cipher Admin (Colosseum), Cipher Admin (XD), Miror B (XD) Cipher Peon Battle (Colosseum), Battle SIM, Pyrite Town, and Colosseum First Battle are all awesome tracks that I would love to get some love in Smash.
Oh man, this brings me back to when the Music For Smash Twitter account was a thing. I had even submitted some Dragalia Lost music for that (I still miss DL...), good time all around.

Although now that you mention it, Pokemon doesn't have much music from the spinoffs, does it? Wonder why that is...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I had another thought: how would you guys feel if the FE lineup in Smash was this?
1. Marth (64, along with the other three cut characters Bowser, Dedede and Mewtwo; moveset remains the same)
2. Lyn (Brawl; moveset involves a mix of sword and bow attacks)
3. Ike (Brawl; moveset is mostly the same, but with Urvan for the Smash attacks)
4. Chrom (Sm4sh; uses a mix of sword and lance attacks. Lucina is also an alt.)
5. Azura (Sm4sh as DLC; primarily uses a lance, but also incorporates dancing and water bending)
6. Byleth (Ultimate; moveset remains the same)
So, let's talk music.

I know I’ve said my piece before, but one series I don’t think people consider is the Game & Watch Gallery series. It’s got all sorts of good music and I’m bummed it’s never been in Smash at all.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So, let's talk music.

I kinda already mentioned this but Street fighter having only SF2 songs was stupid, i wish they would replace half of the ost with songs from other SF games, maybe just other games from Capcom's arcade shared universe in general if Nintendo had enough madmen on staff.

Like Batsu's theme from Rival schools or something
For those that dont know because Capcom doesnt want to rerelease these games, Rival schools is a game in the Street fighter universe where instead of it being about the world warriors fighting in various locations around the globe it's high school students fighting each other in the streets of their hometown, Sakura is part of the cast because of course she is.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So PizzaDudeManGuy managed to scrounge up the time to make a new video going over his Dream Smash Roster, so to encourage discussion, what are all y’all’s Thoughts about his Roster, and do any of y’all have a Dream Roster of your own? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nb94OaQZXZg&feature=youtu.be
Not sure who this dude his but I don't care too much about most of his pick. I wouldn't pick Toad for the next Mario rep. I don't think Mallow really need to be here. I don't like that the whole Zelda cast is based on Botw as much as the game is huge. ClubHouse president sounds like a pretty bad idea imo. I don't think Krystal is worth losing Falco. Don't care at all about Lip, Chrono and Goemon.

So, let's talk music.

I'm excited to see the next Smash Xenoblade soundtrack. Here's what I want:
From 3: Keves battle, Weight of life, Chain attack, Moebius battle, Formidable enemy, Tactical action and Showdown with Z act 2
From Future connected: Time to fight, Fogbeast battle
From X (let's hope they don't forget it this time): Black tar, Noctilum, Olbivia, Uncontrollable, The key we've lost, THEMEX

From Bayonetta 3 I really hope we have at least AI fine and G()st. Moonlight serenade would be nice too but I'm assuming there will be rights issues like Fly me to the moon and Moon river which are not in Smash.

And finally, here's some misceallanous music from third party that I would like. Ultimate gave us a few Monster hunter music and Megalovania + a Shantae music as dlc, so I hope we could get more of those.
Devil trigger (Devil may cry)
At doom's gate (Doom)
A beautiful song (Nier)
In the blood (Hades)
Confronting myself (Celeste)
Narwa and Allmother (Monster hunter)
Watch the skies (Skyrim)
Battle seeker (Shin megami tensei V)
Formidable enemy (Trails from zero)
Rising sun (Okami)

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
So, let's talk music.

I was thinking it's about time they should add the first Rainbow Cruise theme from Super Mario Kart. I like that the best.

And yeah, as for Street Fighter, maybe some themes from the Alpha games and from Final Fight.

Also, for Castlevania, personally, I'd like if they have some retro medleys like for Mega Man. At least for the first game.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The point of celebrating the new year is to celebrate the specific one year that new which is possible and achievable.
The point of celebrating the new year is to celebrate the passage of time. Why only years?! Why not months, or weeks? If you aren't celebrating all passages of time why even bother!

Think people are missing the point.
I think YOU are the one that's misrepresenting the point of celebrating gaming.

do any of y’all have a Dream Roster of your own?
Uh...yeah!

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Uh...yeah!
Ah nice! Also you double posted lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Ultimate iself is the closest thing to a dream roster i think this series is ever going to give me.

Any other character i would want in smash is something that would never the be first option for a smash pick.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Battle seeker (Shin megami tensei V)
Huh. I think that's the first time I've ever seen someone specifically single out that song. I adore SMT V's ost, and I genuinely forget it exists for the most part. If we somehow only got 1 song from SMT V, I'd... well, I'd be upset, but I'd want it to be something like this:

Or:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
I know I’ve said my piece before, but one series I don’t think people consider is the Game & Watch Gallery series. It’s got all sorts of good music and I’m bummed it’s never been in Smash at all.
Another thing I constantly insist on is having another "Others" playlist for songs from the 3rd party companies represented from franchises that otherwise lack a playable character (kinda like Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade suggesting Rival Schools music based taste btw)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Another thing I constantly insist on is having another "Others" playlist for songs from the 3rd party companies represented from franchises that otherwise lack a playable character (kinda like Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade suggesting Rival Schools music based taste btw)
I just think it'd be cool if they used more of the shared universe Street fighter is a part of in it's representation.

Which if i remember right is like, Street fighter, Final fight, Rival Schools, Strider, Captain Commando, Saturday night slammasters and debatably Darkstalkers.
(Darkstalkers is sometimes put in this lineup but i dont know if it was ever officially stated that they are connected)

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I just think it'd be cool if they used more of the shared universe Street fighter is a part of in it's representation.

Which if i remember right is like, Street fighter, Final fight, Rival Schools, Strider, Captain Commando, Saturday night slammasters and debatably Darkstalkers.
(Darkstalkers is sometimes put in this lineup but i dont know if it was ever officially stated that they are connected)
According to the Street Fighter, the ones that are definetly part of the shared universe are Street Fighter, Final Fight, Slam Masters, and Rival Schools. The ones that are debatable are Captain Commando, Strider, and Red Earth (though for some reason, the page in question doesn't mention Darkstalkers). Also, apparently SF6 has a Breath of Fire reference, but IDK the details on that one, for all I know that could just be an easter egg.

Unrelated, but can I make a confession? Recently, I've started headcanoning a bunch of Sonic Team games as being set in the same universe. Sonic, NiGHTS, Samba de Amigo, Billy Hatcher, ChuChu Rocket... I know not EVERYTHING needs to be a shared universe, but I think it could work. That might just be me, though.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Unrelated, but can I make a confession? Recently, I've started headcanoning a bunch of Sonic Team games as being set in the same universe. Sonic, NiGHTS, Samba de Amigo, Billy Hatcher, ChuChu Rocket... I know not EVERYTHING needs to be a shared universe, but I think it could work. That might just be me, though.
A recommendation: Puyo Puyo shouldn't be on your headcanon since Compile.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
According to the Street Fighter, the ones that are definetly part of the shared universe are Street Fighter, Final Fight, Slam Masters, and Rival Schools. The ones that are debatable are Captain Commando, Strider, and Red Earth (though for some reason, the page in question doesn't mention Darkstalkers). Also, apparently SF6 has a Breath of Fire reference, but IDK the details on that one, for all I know that could just be an easter egg.

Strider is definitely canon since Street fighter 5 had the origin story of the Striders as an organization in one of its mini stories.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Strider is definitely canon since Street fighter 5 had the origin story of the Striders as an organization in one of its mini stories.
Most likely, problem is it was JUST vague enough that one could argue that it was just a reference and nothing more.

But FWIW, I do think it's canon. Just wanna wait until somebody at Capcom makes it official, y'know?

Ivander

Smash Legend
Also, apparently SF6 has a Breath of Fire reference, but IDK the details on that one, for all I know that could just be an easter egg.
IIRC, it's a costume of Katt from Breath of Fire 2 for one of the characters.

I also know Ruby Heart and the main character and villains from an old Capcom Arcade game, Pirate Ship Hidemaru or something, are referenced with "counterparts".

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I had another thought: how would you guys feel if the FE lineup in Smash was this?
1. Marth (64, along with the other three cut characters Bowser, Dedede and Mewtwo; moveset remains the same)
2. Lyn (Brawl; moveset involves a mix of sword and bow attacks)
3. Ike (Brawl; moveset is mostly the same, but with Urvan for the Smash attacks)
4. Chrom (Sm4sh; uses a mix of sword and lance attacks. Lucina is also an alt.)
5. Azura (Sm4sh as DLC; primarily uses a lance, but also incorporates dancing and water bending)
6. Byleth (Ultimate; moveset remains the same)
In terms of the character choices this is actually pretty similar to how I see it.

My lineup would basically be

Marth
Lyn
Ike
Awakening rep (personally I'd go with Robin)
Byleth

Then depending on the overall roster size we're going for, if there's space for a sixth rep then I would fill it with a Fates rep.

I think this does a good job of keeping fans of classic FE happy while also giving the highly successful modern FE games their due on the roster. It also brings in the highest-profile fan picks without sacrificing really anything in terms of series representation or character uniqueness.

--

I don't really need Ike using an axe or Chrom using a lance; if they all have swords as their primary weapons then so be it. But at least those are things they actually do in gameplay so I don't think it would bother me if they whipped out some different weapons for a few select moves.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
IIRC, it's a costume of Katt from Breath of Fire 2 for one of the characters.

I also know Ruby Heart and the main character and villains from an old Capcom Arcade game, Pirate Ship Hidemaru or something, are referenced with "counterparts".
Okay, I THINK it might be in regards to this:

Apparently, a bunch of characters from this place are named after Breath of Fire characters, so it could be a counterpart situation like you mentioned.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
That weird sound Mythra sword make when she smashes sounds like one of those long rubber tube toys vwoom but it's not loud either but anyway is that sound effect from the source game?

Edit:

Adding to my list
Zero Suit Samus
Pyra/Mythra

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That weird sound Mythra sword make when she smashes sounds like one of those long rubber tube toys vwoom but it's not loud either but anyway is that sound effect from the source game?

Edit:

Adding to my list
Zero Suit Samus
Pyra/Mythra
what list?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
You guys know how SSE has alternate cutscenes depending on which character you picked, right? What if there were also alternate levels and other alterations depending on your choices? For example, let’s say if you picked Mario from for the first battle at Midair Stadium, you’d fight Petey Piranha as him and Zelda joined him after the battle.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
The point of celebrating the new year is to celebrate the passage of time. Why only years?! Why not months, or weeks? If you aren't celebrating all passages of time why even bother!

I think YOU are the one that's misrepresenting the point of celebrating gaming.

Uh...yeah!
Because not only is the year the biggest quantity measurement of time the 3 you listed, it encompasses all of it as well. By celebrating the new year, you also celebrate the days, the weeks and months that come with said new year. Something Smash can never realistically do because it can't never truly encompass all of gaming. I think you need a better analogy because this isn't working.

Like i said before, there is nothing being misrepresented here. It's not feasible for Smash to celebrate gaming as whole. That is unfortunate truth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom