• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Dragon Quest is definitely a tougher call to make because the series is so huge and beloved, but I basically chose to cut The Hero for the same reasons I cut Kazuya:

DQ and Tekken are both immensely popular series, but the characters representing them in Smash aren't quite as well known. Seemingly, these characters weren't that highly requested, and both Hero and Kazuya fill the role of characters from a legendary RPG and fighting game series (respectively) that was already filled by Cloud and Ryu.
This is just objectively false on Hero. Hero was a huge request for Smash, especially in Japan that has been requesting the characters for years. Sakurai even said that Hero was added because there was a lot of request for the characters (which could be referencing the ballot).

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly its hard to really describe just how beloved DQ is back home. People at Enix themselves have stated that they ended up releasing sequels on Saturdays because too many young people were skipping school to play if they released it on a weekday. DQXI sold two million physical copies domestically in less than a week when it released which is incredibly good numbers for Japan.

I suspect if SE was less tricky to deal with financially, we might have gotten a DQ protagonist in Smash earlier than we did just for the series' popularity in its home country.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Yeah, you can't just leave out the Japanese fanbase where the Hero and Dragon Quest franchises are very well-loved. It also doesn't matter what role that another series had before them. If Final Fantasy is represented because it's one of the biggest and most iconic RPG series the world, then Dragon Quest should be represented for that same reason.

Terry and the Ice Climbers matter to us, but they're relatively unknown in the grand scheme of gaming and their absence will definitely impact less people.
Actually, that should be the point; they matter to us, the Smash fanbase. So if you just take them out for no good reason, you're going to have a negative impact on the fanbase. Besides, Terry is pretty well-known in Japan and Mexico and the Smash Bros series is pretty important to the Ice Climbers recognition outside of their own game. So much to the point that fans were really happy to see them come back for Ultimate. So it will definitely have an impact on more people than you think.

DQ and Tekken are both immensely popular series, but the characters representing them in Smash aren't quite as well known. Seemingly, these characters weren't that highly requested, and both Hero and Kazuya fill the role of characters from a legendary RPG and fighting game series (respectively) that was already filled by Cloud and Ryu.
Well, the Dragon Quest part has already been addressed. Tekken, as you said, is also a very popular series and as we can even tell by the way Kazuya fights, it's not like Tekken is anything like Street Fighter. It's a pretty significant series with Kazuya having a fanbase of his own, so cutting him is not going to do it for fans who will likely want more from the series, not less.

Also, using roles in this case is kind of flawed. A character from one series can never truly fill in the role a character from another one. Tekken fans will not be satisfied with Ryu. Dragon Quest fans will not be satisfied with Cloud. Different characters, different series, different fanbases.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
People calling Kazuya Mishima "not well known" is one of the most "Smash fans live under a rock" moments I've ever seen.

Like at least Dragon Quest has lopsided popularity. There's no such excuse for Tekken. Its the best selling fighting game franchise right behind Smash. Kazuya has been a Tekken mainstay. People obviously know who he is.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So i came up with these 2 slight reworks of Adult and toon link respectivly:
1690127186291.png

1690127203022.png

Toon Link is more classic but adult link mostly just gets all of his weirder moves from older games (Other than acsend)
So hes also pretty tame!
(Toon link also has young links unique special to make ylink players happy)
Both also have hookshots/ Clawshots and Sword Beams on f smash!
Im not sure if t links down smash should be A Hammer Pound?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The downplaying (intentional or otherwise) of Tekken feels like a case where it having more of Playstation and Xbox presence means it falls outside many Nintendo fan circles, and that because it didn't quite reach level of pop culture recognition outside gaming circles like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat did that to some its perceived as less popular and famous than it actually is.

Its like Halo and Monster Hunter; the latter's total sales have actually outdone the former, even though it (and Master Chief as the mascot) are far more likely to be recognized by non gamers (in the West anyway).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
People calling Kazuya Mishima "not well known" is one of the most "Smash fans live under a rock" moments I've ever seen.

Like at least Dragon Quest has lopsided popularity. There's no such excuse for Tekken. Its the best selling fighting game franchise right behind Smash. Kazuya has been a Tekken mainstay. People obviously know who he is.
Heihachi has more of a push as the mascot, and Jin has more of a push as the protagonist. Or had, until Tekken 7 pushed Jin out of the spotlight so it could focus on Kazuya finishing his conflict with Heihachi.

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
Heihachi has more of a push as the mascot, and Jin has more of a push as the protagonist. Or had, until Tekken 7 pushed Jin out of the spotlight so it could focus on Kazuya finishing his conflict with Heihachi.
What do you mean "more of a push"? And what does it have to do with Kazuya's undeniable popularity? Besides, Kazuya was the very first protagonist of the series.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Champion
It's what makes me think people unfamiliar with Tekken wouldn't recognize Kazuya.
If they do recognize Tekken, they'll recognize Kazuya. He's one of the main characters in the series and his popularity was what brought him back after he was missing in Tekken 3.

If they don't recognize Tekken, then they wouldn't recognize the other characters either.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think Jin is my favorite design out of all the Tekken characters but Kazuya might be second. I was never really too big on Heihachi’s design and he always reminded me of a more realistic and less cool Dr. Wily from Mega Man.

Laniv

Smash Champion
IIRC, isn't Tekken super popular in Korea? I've heard that get tossed around but I've never been sure

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Tekken is huge, idk why some of y’all act like Kazuya is some no name when Tekken is a juggernaut of a series. There’s a reason it’s one of the biggest fighting game series of all time. This is probably due to the way this site and the smash fandom broadly can live under a rock.

Seeing Smash fans scratch their heads over Dragon Quest and Tekken while in the same breath celebrating Banjo Kazooie as a pillar of gaming history is crazy to me. I guess people like to create a narrative where their limited bubble is entirely right.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
While its easy to just say that Nintendo (and by virtue Smash) fans are in a bubble, I think the context is a little trickier than that. About two years ago, there was a Twitter dustup started by a thread that pointed out how Croc did similar if not better numbers than Banjo Kazooie and that it was Nintendo YouTubers that elevated the latter into something bigger than what it was.

But I think phenomenon like this is a case where there's many factors; putting the cart before the horse (YouTubers can only do so much in shaping the culture), Croc not enduring for many players, and one other major element that also I think affects perceptions in Smash speculation. The thing is nostalgia, continuity, & reverence of past games is essentially baked into a lot of Nintendo's IP's in general. Trophies/spirits in Smash, stages in Mario Kart, highlighted titles on the online service, etc. The company makes you very aware of its titles and their legacy is so consistently brought up that even non first party games like Banjo-Kazooie fall into the (company created, fandom continued) sphere of remembering and appreciating what came before.

That's not to say they're the only company that does this, but so many various other publishers and developers have major games that have fallen by the wayside and aren't reinforced by a PR culture of recalling them that a YouTube retrospective about them isn't happening with that much frequency. Sega is one of the most famous game companies out there and half of their IP's are in deep hibernation or barely remembered because they were only big in certain regions.

And when you get to really old stuff like Atari or the British microcomputer scene, it gets worse because there's no effective media or delivery system to even tell people that titles from the time were good and/or popular. There's no contemporary piece of gaming media to introduce new generations or remind old ones about the releases on ZX Spectrum or Amstrad CPC, and so they increasingly become the domains of older niche fans while the Nintendo legacy/nostalgia culture becomes self reinforcing again and again.

Nintendo not is only one of the biggest video game companies in the world, its also one that has a strong sense of historical continuity that eventually flows in the fandom (specifically the Western one) significantly as a result, expanding the reach of games far beyond what their sales reflected and naturally (albeit unintentionally) shutting out series outside that paradigm to a degree.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't have as much time to visit Smashboards these days, so I hope y'all will forgive me if I'm not able to get back to you.

I hope y'all know that I bear no ill will in my posts. I don't WANT to cut anyone. I would prefer to add on to Ultimate, but the point of my original post with the hypothetical Smash 6 roster was to make cuts regardless if I wanted them (based on Sakurai saying that they would have to to shrink the roster in the next game). I chose to cut both who I thought would be less impactful (I'm NOT saying they wouldn't be impactful at all) and who I would prefer to keep the most.

Cutting Kazuya and Hero were probably the hardest cuts for me to make, but when it came down to it I wouldn't trade them for who I chose to keep. Also keep in mind that in my roster I wanted to make room for a decent amount of newcomers.

My reasoning may not always be the best, but you could honestly make a solid argument against cutting ANY character in Smash. The point was to make tough choices even if it wasn't ideal.

I do NOT envy Sakurai I can tell you that much.

This is just objectively false on Hero. Hero was a huge request for Smash, especially in Japan that has been requesting the characters for years. Sakurai even said that Hero was added because there was a lot of request for the characters (which could be referencing the ballot).
Well I'd be fine with being wrong, but I can't really find any data that confirms this. The only DQ character I've seen in the polls is Slime, and not that often. The only quote I can find from Sakurai is him saying that requests for a DQ rep "have been around for a long time", which doesn't actually tell us very much. I can't find anything that tells us what characters specifically from DQ people wanted.

https://nintendoeverything.com/saku...scrapped-initially-just-luminary-and-erdrick/

With respect, that isn't what I said. I said Kazuya and Hero weren't quite as well known as the series they hail from. For example, I'd say it's accurate to say that more people know of Tekken than they know specifically of Kazuya. That's not to say he isn't well known, just not AS well known when compared to characters like Ryu who are pretty much synonymous with their series. That was just one of the reasons I decided on cutting Kazuya though. Again, I don't WANT to cut him. This was just an exercise to see who I would cut if I had no choice.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
And when you get to really old stuff like Atari or the British microcomputer scene, it gets worse because there's no effective media or delivery system to even tell people that titles from the time were good and/or popular. There's no contemporary piece of gaming media to introduce new generations or remind old ones about the releases on ZX Spectrum or Amstrad CPC, and so they increasingly become the domains of older niche fans while the Nintendo legacy/nostalgia culture becomes self reinforcing again and again.
I already knew about of the European Micro-Computer Boom.
Here's a video about the Spanish scene:
Yet i'm a Peruvian. (@Jotadé would be interested)

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
While its easy to just say that Nintendo (and by virtue Smash) fans are in a bubble, I think the context is a little trickier than that. About two years ago, there was a Twitter dustup started by this thread:

But I think phenomenon like this is a case where there's many factors; putting the cart before the horse (YouTubers can only do so much in shaping the culture), Croc not enduring for many players, and one other major element that also I think affects perceptions in Smash speculation. The thing is nostalgia, continuity, & reverence of past games is essentially baked into a lot of Nintendo's IP's in general. Trophies/spirits in Smash, stages in Mario Kart, highlighted titles on the online service, etc. The company makes you very aware of its titles and their legacy is so consistently brought up that even non first party games like Banjo-Kazooie fall into the (company created, fandom continued) sphere of remembering and appreciating what came before.

That's not to say they're the only company that does this, but so many various other publishers and developers have major games that have fallen by the wayside and aren't reinforced by a PR culture of recalling them that a YouTube retrospective about them isn't happening with that much frequency. Sega is one of the most famous game companies out there and half of their IP's are in deep hibernation or barely remembered because they were only big in certain regions.

Nintendo is only one of the biggest video game companies in the world, its also one that has a strong sense of historical continuity that eventually flows in the fandom (specifically the Western one) significantly as a result, expanding the reach of games far beyond what their sales reflected and naturally (albeit unintentionally) shutting out series outside that paradigm to a degree.
Yeah there's definitely a point to be made about how gaming history and the stuff that's passed down is being rewritten to center more and more around Nintendo to the point that to many people it's Almost All they would know about old video games. It's very concerning - don't get me wrong Nintendo always were massively popular and important, but they were by no means the only innovators and it feels like many of the other innovators are getting less and less recognition

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Champion
So many of the people playing a Nintendo-published game with the vast majority of its characters and contents coming from Nintendo-published games are, compared to the average gamer, more familiar with Nintendo or Nintendo-adjacent properties and less familiar with properties whose notoriety is mostly or even almost entirely derived from releases on non-Nintendo platforms?
Why is this surprising? Or even an issue?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So many of the people playing a Nintendo-published game with the vast majority of its characters and contents coming from Nintendo-published games are, compared to the average gamer, more familiar with Nintendo or Nintendo-adjacent properties and less familiar with properties whose notoriety is mostly or even almost entirely derived from releases on non-Nintendo platforms?
Why is this surprising? Or even an issue?
Everyone can play what they want, that's not the issue. The issue is when people with no knowledge say things like "DQ and Tekken were not popular". At the very least, if you're not familiar with those franchises because you mostly played on Nintendo consoles, do some ressearch. It takes seconds to see that Tekken 7 alone sold more than 10 million copies.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Seeing Smash fans scratch their heads over Dragon Quest and Tekken while in the same breath celebrating Banjo Kazooie as a pillar of gaming history is crazy to me.
Honestly it's not that surprising when Smash is trying to have some picks like Banjo that are explicitly and exclusively there for being Nintendo-centric and others which get in on completely opposite lines of reasoning, i.e. for simply being big names in general gaming. Of course less knowledgeable people would end up conflating the two lines of thinking even though they ought to be very clearly distinct when putting Banjo next to, say, Tekken.
People have a natural tendency to try to fit the picks into a unified, overarching narrative, while Smash is getting split down the middle between Nintendo-centric and general gaming. Yes, ultimately it's incorrect thinking to try to fit the picks into one line of thinking or singular criterion, but not too surprising that it would arise from a group of people that we've already established are more likely to be familiar with Banjo than these other non-Nintendo properties.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
While its easy to just say that Nintendo (and by virtue Smash) fans are in a bubble, I think the context is a little trickier than that. About two years ago, there was a Twitter dustup started by this thread:

Nintendo not is only one of the biggest video game companies in the world, its also one that has a strong sense of historical continuity that eventually flows in the fandom (specifically the Western one) significantly as a result, expanding the reach of games far beyond what their sales reflected and naturally (albeit unintentionally) shutting out series outside that paradigm to a degree.
Well FWIW, Croc is the one of the two that's getting a remaster in the future...

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

This reminds me of the whole "Nintendo saved video games" thing, when they didn't. Like, at all actually. They were still really popular in Japan and Europe, with Europe in particular just using computers. And even when Nintendo came to Europe, the master system was more popular. I'm 18, but I can still easily see that here, I know way more adults who grew up on Alex kidd and sonic than Nintendo franchises, including those who know nothing about games. And there's loads of classic PC games that'd be popular here. I'd be surprised to meet an American who'd even heard of a bbc micro, but it's just common knowledge here.

But if you look online, because the Internet (or at least video game influencers) are predominantly American, you never hear or see that stuff. It's the same with the whole 50Hz vs 60Hz thing, where loads of Americans didn't even know what it referred to.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This reminds me of the whole "Nintendo saved video games" thing, when they didn't. Like, at all actually. They were still really popular in Japan and Europe, with Europe in particular just using computers. And even when Nintendo came to Europe, the master system was more popular. I'm 18, but I can still easily see that here, I know way more adults who grew up on Alex kidd and sonic than Nintendo franchises, including those who know nothing about games. And there's loads of classic PC games that'd be popular here. I'd be surprised to meet an American who'd even heard of a bbc micro, but it's just common knowledge here.

But if you look online, because the Internet (or at least video game influencers) are predominantly American, you never hear or see that stuff. It's the same with the whole 50Hz vs 60Hz thing, where loads of Americans didn't even know what it referred to.
Its the cultural continuity issue again. The genuine legacy of the British computer scene is only really being maintained outside the UK by select content creators and hobbyists with a lot of the games from time not really being accessible with modern platforms. Either than or the self fulfilling prophecy of people not talking about them leading to less younger fans willing to try them out and thus less people talking about them. Japan's pre-Famicom video game history is even less discussed outside the big hits like Pac-Man and Space Invaders with that entire era rarely highlighted partially because (unlike American console makers pre-NES) you don't have the key figures being interviewed about it.

And of course the even within the last 30 years there are releases get lost to winds of time because of the larger preservation issue; there's entire swaths of arcade games essentially dying on the cultural vine because they never got ports and so much of the scene fell in America after the mid 90s. I mean even stuff like Mario Kart Arcade GP games might struggle for any sort of legacy because of their locked in status as non portable/non console machines. And if that can happen to a series of outright first party Nintendo releases connected to the latter's biggest franchise then what chance do one off fighting games or quirky arcade light gun releases have to be meaningful for future generations?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I’ve lost track, what’s the purpose of this conversation? Everybody just seems to be agreeing that Nintendo fans, like all fandoms, have a warped view of reality

Last edited:

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
People are apparently upset that Nintendo fans are more familiar with Nintendo-adjacent franchises for a Nintendo-adjecent crossover.

Yes, Banjo-Kazooie is lot bigger in terms of relevancy and popularity to for a Nintendo crossover, to the point they were considered Nintendo-honoraries, than franchises like Tekken that don't even touch Nintendo systems. How is this controversial or even mind-boggling is beyond me.

Not mention in terms of Tekken, Heihachi is the bigger face than his own son.

Also that Twitter thread is quite stupid. 3 million on 32 million base will gel a lot more and makes a bigger impact than 3 million on 110 million base.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

I've played the Tekken series for a very long time and Kazuya is one of the most prominent characters in the game with the exception of the third entry which is the only game he was absent.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly it's not that surprising when Smash is trying to have some picks like Banjo that are explicitly and exclusively there for being Nintendo-centric and others which get in on completely opposite lines of reasoning, i.e. for simply being big names in general gaming. Of course less knowledgeable people would end up conflating the two lines of thinking even though they ought to be very clearly distinct when putting Banjo next to, say, Tekken.
People have a natural tendency to try to fit the picks into a unified, overarching narrative, while Smash is getting split down the middle between Nintendo-centric and general gaming. Yes, ultimately it's incorrect thinking to try to fit the picks into one line of thinking or singular criterion, but not too surprising that it would arise from a group of people that we've already established are more likely to be familiar with Banjo than these other non-Nintendo properties.
I agree. I feel like characters should be able to qualify in more than just one way. As far as Smash goes, I think history in gaming in general as well as Nintendo specifically should factor into a character’s consideration. In general, if a character has a strong history on Nintendo platforms, that should lower the bar for how iconic the character is overall. In other words, a character like Fulgore from Killer Instinct may not be as popular with the general gaming community as someone like Master Chief but I feel like RARE’s early partnership with Nintendo should at least put him on the table.

If this series was never made by Nintendo or had the history of a Nintendo themed crossover early on, I don’t think most other games would pick Fulgore over Chief due to the huge popularity of Halo compared to the more modest Killer Instinct. I’m not saying that Nintendo’s history should be all that matters or that Chief shouldn’t qualify but I do feel like history on Nintendo platforms should at least be one of the factors in what character makes it in. Basically, I feel like history with Nintendo and overall history in gaming are both valid reasons why a character should make it in.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
People are apparently upset that Nintendo fans are more familiar with Nintendo-adjacent franchises for a Nintendo-adjecent crossover.

Yes, Banjo-Kazooie is lot bigger in terms of relevancy and popularity to for a Nintendo crossover, to the point they were considered Nintendo-honoraries, than franchises like Tekken that don't even touch Nintendo systems. How is this controversial or even mind-boggling is beyond me.

Not mention in terms of Tekken, Heihachi is the bigger face than his own son.

Also that Twitter thread is quite stupid. 3 million on 32 million base will gel a lot more and makes a bigger impact than 3 million on 110 million base.
tekken was on the wii u was it not?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
tekken was on the wii u was it not?
Yeah, I think so. There have been a few Tekken games on Nintendo consoles if I remember correctly. I think overall though, Tekken is more often associated with Sony and PlayStation than Nintendo. I think this is an example of a character making it in for their general popularity rather than relevance to Nintendo specifically, which is still a perfectly good reason. Banjo on the other hand was likely chosen for his relevance to Nintendo. There are a ton of more iconic franchises overall than Banjo-Kazooie but that game is fondly remembered by many Nintendo fans, which definitely helped his chances. That’s one reason I really like the idea of getting a few more RARE characters as the series moves forward. There’s plenty of room for both generally iconic characters as well as smaller characters that were important to Nintendo fans.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I agree. I feel like characters should be able to qualify in more than just one way. As far as Smash goes, I think history in gaming in general as well as Nintendo specifically should factor into a character’s consideration. In general, if a character has a strong history on Nintendo platforms, that should lower the bar for how iconic the character is overall. In other words, a character like Fulgore from Killer Instinct may not be as popular with the general gaming community as someone like Master Chief but I feel like RARE’s early partnership with Nintendo should at least put him on the table.

If this series was never made by Nintendo or had the history of a Nintendo themed crossover early on, I don’t think most other games would pick Fulgore over Chief due to the huge popularity of Halo compared to the more modest Killer Instinct. I’m not saying that Nintendo’s history should be all that matters or that Chief shouldn’t qualify but I do feel like history on Nintendo platforms should at least be one of the factors in what character makes it in. Basically, I feel like history with Nintendo and overall history in gaming are both valid reasons why a character should make it in.
I don't think the point of the conversation was that Banjo don't deserve to be in Smash or that Kazuya deserve to be in Smash more than Banjo. The point was that acting like Kazuya is that super niche character that nobody knows is silly when he's objectively way bigger than many characters on the roster, even among other third party. Of course there's more going on behind the scenes than just "let's pick the characters from the best selling games". Banjo didn't get in for sales, he got in the game because he was a huge request. The conversation wasn't about who deserve to be in the roster, it was about sharing false information. Tekken sold more than 54 millions units with Tekken 7 alone selling more than 10 millions and like I said on my previous post, it takes seconds to google it and find it.

Edit:

Again, nobody is upset that people here are more familiar with Banjo. Everyone can play the games they want. If you rather play 3d platformer than 3d fighting games that's fine. If you'd rather play N64 games than Playstation games that's fine. Saying stuff like "I'd rather have Banjo in Smash than Kazuya because I'm more familiar with Banjo than Tekken" is also fine. But saying "I'd rather have Banjo in Smash than Kazuya because nobody knows about Kazuya" is not, because again, that's just a misinformation.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't think the point of the conversation was that Banjo don't deserve to be in Smash or that Kazuya deserve to be in Smash more than Banjo. The point was that acting like Kazuya is that super niche character that nobody knows is silly when he's objectively way bigger than many characters on the roster, even among other third party. Of course there's more going on behind the scenes than just "let's pick the characters from the best selling games". Banjo didn't get in for sales, he got in the game because he was a huge request. The conversation wasn't about who deserve to be in the roster, it was about sharing false information. Tekken sold more than 54 millions units with Tekken 7 alone selling more than 10 millions and like I said on my previous post, it takes seconds to google it and find it.

Edit:

Again, nobody is upset that people here are more familiar with Banjo. Everyone can play the games they want. If you rather play 3d platformer than 3d fighting games that's fine. If you'd rather play N64 games than Playstation games that's fine. Saying stuff like "I'd rather have Banjo in Smash than Kazuya because I'm more familiar with Banjo than Tekken" is also fine. But saying "I'd rather have Banjo in Smash than Kazuya because nobody knows about Kazuya" is not, because again, that's just a misinformation.
Yeah. I’m just saying that there are good reasons for people preferring someone like Banjo as well as for those that prefer Kazuya. I don’t think it’s right to put down either opinion. I do somewhat understand the confusion in getting Kazuya over Jin or Heihachi because I always thought the latter two were more generally recognized but I knew all of them beforehand. I’ve only played a couple Tekken games years ago so I don’t have a ton of experience with the franchise. Looking at the sales though, it’s obvious to me that Tekken is a very popular franchise so it makes total sense we got a character. The fact that Kazuya was the original protagonist and has the interesting devil form makes sense too. Ideally, I’d like a good balance of iconic franchises overall with smaller ones with a stronger connection to Nintendo as well as a few surprise picks that don’t really fit into either category that were just chosen because the character has a really fun moveset that fits well in Smash.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

Edit:

This. My initial post was about how people create a conveniently ignorant view of basic facts and history. Anyone who argued Banjo Kazooie is more important historically or less niche than Dragon Quest and Tekken is just choosing to ignore facts. Tekken is huge and one of the most influential games out there. It’s a massive series with a huge fanbase. Same with Dragon Quest. Dismissing both out of hat because they are “niche” is just wrong. They both are far more mainstream than plenty of first party series in smash.

Obviously this isn’t the sole barometer of why a character should get in. Nowhere in my initial post did it say that: it was honestly very simple.

You do know most Nintendo fans own other systems right? Like, there is actual data on this.

Even then, you make such a straw man of my argument. Somehow, saying “smash fans are being dumb for saying X series is niche and Banjo isn’t niche” amounts to this massive reach to say “smash fans should only get big characters”. I know you have your own polarizing thoughts on third parties broadly. You don’t need to project your own insecure thoughts on the state of smash onto a simple statement that smash fans are being dumb for saying Hero is niche.

Here’s a fun challenge for you. Read my initial post. Seriously read it.
Tekken is huge, idk why some of y’all act like Kazuya is some no name when Tekken is a juggernaut of a series. There’s a reason it’s one of the biggest fighting game series of all time. This is probably due to the way this site and the smash fandom broadly can live under a rock.

Seeing Smash fans scratch their heads over Dragon Quest and Tekken while in the same breath celebrating Banjo Kazooie as a pillar of gaming history is crazy to me. I guess people like to create a narrative where their limited bubble is entirely right.
Tell me where I say it’s an “issue” that people like characters like Banjo. Tell me where I say people can’t want characters that are “more familiar” to Nintendo switch owners? Here’s a hint. There isn’t one. I never said in this you are in the wrong for wanting Banjo or what have you. I wanted banjo. But Banjo is far from this massive piece of gaming or even Nintendo history.

If anything, your post makes even larger leaps of logic. Do you honestly think every person that plays smash is some kind of gaming historian? How many people are going to be familiar with the characters in it outside of smash? Did every person playing Ultimate have strong feelings about Ridley? Did they all have their own deep connections to Byleth? No. It’s a massive false equivalency and comes off as insecure. Smash on the Swich alone sold close to 30 million units. Are you seriously going to say all those people are more familiar with characters like Isaac or Geno than Hero and Kazuya? It’s a massive leap in logic to assume that.

Don’t put words in my mouth again. I am sick and tired of you misconstruing even the most basic arguments.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
while playing pikmin i found myself wondering: how many parents do we have among the fighters?

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Alright, let’s just try to settle down and not throw attacks at each other. Smash is just a game and this is supposed to be a place for fun discussion. No need to get aggressive.

To try to change topics, what series already in Smash do you feel isn’t well represented musically? As far as first party franchises go, I’d like to see a big improvement in Pokémon and Donkey Kong. There are so many great Pokémon battle themes and we typically get a lot of route themes not as well suited for battle. I’d have loved to hear the Chamion themes from the first two gens and many others. Donkey Kong has almost no music from Tropical Freeze, which is almost criminal. I’d also love to hear a lot more from the SNES DKC Trilogy beyond 10 versions of the intro stage from the first game.

while playing pikmin i found myself wondering: how many parents do we have among the fighters?
The only ones I’m aware of are Chrom, Corrin and Robin (I forget whether Lucina is. a child from the future, it’s been a while since I played Awakening). There’s also Samus if you want to count the Metroid as her child.

Last edited:
Top Bottom